The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12525
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jessuf » Mon May 12, 2014 12:01 am

Kronk wrote:Anybody done interviews with prosecution offices in less populous states (i.e. where you won't have 3 rounds of interviews like in Chiraq or NYC, probably just one, maybe two)? Care to comment on whether or not they still throw the DA-interview hypotheticals at you?

I did two. One of them gave ethical hypos that were super easy. No mock closing or anything like that. It was just one interview, no extra rounds. Another was literally me just talking about my experience in crim law. That one was two rounds, though.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Mon May 12, 2014 9:57 am

From what my classmates have said in my state, it was just a regular interview, focusing on prior experience with prosecutors offices and why you wanted to work there. No hypos.

Though, we're all laid back here, eh bro?

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12525
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jessuf » Mon May 12, 2014 12:17 pm

Jessuf wrote:I had an interview today that I think well. I would start this summer as a clerk for an hourly wage, no benefits. I would have to work 40 hrs/week during bar prep, but I would be permitted to work four 10-hour days and also take time off before the bar to cram. Come September, my performance would be evaluated, and if they like me, I would be hired as a FT associate with a salary and benefits. Decision to be made at the beginning of next week. I am a bit worried about accepting a job that requires 40 hours/week during bar study time. I also have no idea what the pay is like yet. I was told it would be discussed if an offer was made.

Was rejected for this job. The atty told me that he decided to hire a second year law student instead. I don't quite understand the point of that as he wanted someone who could do atty-only functions like appear in court at hearings, etc.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Mon May 12, 2014 12:26 pm

Sucks Jess. Maybe the atty dude might have found out he didn't have the money to bring someone on FT in Sept?

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Mon May 12, 2014 1:58 pm

That sucks Jess. Fuck that dude.

dreakol
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby dreakol » Mon May 12, 2014 2:33 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Kronk wrote:Anybody done interviews with prosecution offices in less populous states (i.e. where you won't have 3 rounds of interviews like in Chiraq or NYC, probably just one, maybe two)? Care to comment on whether or not they still throw the DA-interview hypotheticals at you?

I did two. One of them gave ethical hypos that were super easy. No mock closing or anything like that. It was just one interview, no extra rounds. Another was literally me just talking about my experience in crim law. That one was two rounds, though.


I did one in a state with a small population but did it with the office in the biggest city in the state. It was one round and around 1 hour. I'd say 10-15 mins was why here, why DA work, getting to know you type of questions and 45 minutes of hypotheticals that actually tested fundamental knowledge of criminal law/procedure.

I also did one in a rural county that was basically just questions about experience and them trying to figure out if i would be a good fit.

Both stated what the interview would be like well in advance of the interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273241
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 12, 2014 2:36 pm

Interviewed at a firm a little under two weeks ago. Emailed the recruiter with a follow up (thanks for the interview, still interested in the position, if you need any more information please let me know). However, the recruiter has not gotten back to me. Is this normal/has this happened to you? Should I be worried?

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Mon May 12, 2014 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed at a firm a little under two weeks ago. Emailed the recruiter with a follow up (thanks for the interview, still interested in the position, if you need any more information please let me know). However, the recruiter has not gotten back to me. Is this normal/has this happened to you? Should I be worried?


This has probably happened to all of us. And, no - don't worry. At this point there is zero you can do to effect the situation, so worrying is a waste of time. Either they like you or they don't. But since recruiting people tend to be super busy, not hearing is actually pretty standard in my experience.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28046
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Kronk » Mon May 12, 2014 3:05 pm

I never have figured out if thank you emails are worthwhile or not.

Int'lshoe
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Int'lshoe » Mon May 12, 2014 3:15 pm

Hello, rising 3L here who has lurked for some time on these forums and has finally decided to "come out" after feeling under the Vale for not getting a SA this summer. Was hoping to get some advice for next year, so as get the timing right sending applications/job searching/networking etc. Here is a little about me. Rising 3L at a TT, top 25 % of my class, law review, externship with prominent DC judge, and volunteering at a PI firm this summer.

Didn't get any biglaw interview offers for a 2L SA (assuming my grades are to blame), but that was before my externship. I am a bit confused on when I should focus on sending applications for varying positions in my market. Ideally, I would like to get a clerkship somewhere either state or federal (already applying for 2015-16), but would also like anything with the FPD/ADA or big/mid/small-sized litigation.

My question is this, when would be the best time to mass mail/send applications to firms during 3L? I have read that some places hire for contract work during winter break, but not even sure if I should send applications out again until after I pass the bar. Anything you have to offer would be greatly appreciated!

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Mon May 12, 2014 3:19 pm

Who the hell calls to say you didn't get the jerb?

:cry:

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Mon May 12, 2014 3:22 pm

Bikeflip wrote:Who the hell calls to say you didn't get the jerb?

:cry:


What the fuck. So sorry dude.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28046
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Kronk » Mon May 12, 2014 4:06 pm

Shit dude, so sorry.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Mon May 12, 2014 4:17 pm

Thanks bros. One of my buds told me to try networking. I need to take a walk before I chew someone out. Thank god the Vale allows for venting, or I'd lose my shit.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby bjsesq » Mon May 12, 2014 4:33 pm

Bikeflip wrote:Thanks bros. One of my buds told me to try networking. I need to take a walk before I chew someone out. Thank god the Vale allows for venting, or I'd lose my shit.


Provide me your buds phone number and I will fucking lace into him for you.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Mon May 12, 2014 4:37 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:Thanks bros. One of my buds told me to try networking. I need to take a walk before I chew someone out. Thank god the Vale allows for venting, or I'd lose my shit.


Provide me your buds phone number and I will fucking lace into him for you.



:lol: That's far funnier that it actually needs to be. Thanks, I needed it.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12525
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jessuf » Mon May 12, 2014 6:00 pm

Sorry, bike :cry:

Let's drink our sorrows away

gfunk01
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:18 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby gfunk01 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:26 pm

Was hoping to be out of the vale now, but things are still so much in the air. Got an offer that is conditional upon budget approval with NYC, so have the risk of not being offered and no idea when such a job will start, if ever. My lease ends this month and I'm forced to return home till find out if I do have a job, in the meantime studying for the CA bar that I may or may not need. I was hoping that my life would be more assured, but even good news has to come with caveats.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273241
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 13, 2014 12:32 am

dumb question:
is there a growing cottage industry for lawyers in colorado and washington because weed is legal there now? my job search isn't going too great and i wouldn't mind doing something different :?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273241
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 13, 2014 12:34 am

Out of the vale. Got the job I really wanted, local DA's office.

Good luck everyone, there's still hope!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273241
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 13, 2014 7:56 am

Did anyones grades go down this last semester. I went down a bit. My potential employer kinda dumped me, which was awesome too.

Not b/c my grades.....

User avatar
SloanFoam
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 10:25 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby SloanFoam » Tue May 13, 2014 10:57 am

Hey guys, I'm joining the party. I'm a recent graduate trying to break into fed government, or transition to firms. Neither has worked, probably because my main strength is work experience and that's really limiting. I've gotten 1 interview in the last 5 months, and about 300 firm rejections (do agencies even send rejections any more?). Not sure what to hope for, now that I'm doing a second run without a clerkship.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Tue May 13, 2014 12:10 pm

gfunk01 wrote:Was hoping to be out of the vale now, but things are still so much in the air. Got an offer that is conditional upon budget approval with NYC, so have the risk of not being offered and no idea when such a job will start, if ever. My lease ends this month and I'm forced to return home till find out if I do have a job, in the meantime studying for the CA bar that I may or may not need. I was hoping that my life would be more assured, but even good news has to come with caveats.


It always feels this way, doesn't it?

Keep going, something will work out.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Tue May 13, 2014 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Out of the vale. Got the job I really wanted, local DA's office.

Good luck everyone, there's still hope!


Congrats anon!!

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Tue May 13, 2014 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:dumb question:
is there a growing cottage industry for lawyers in colorado and washington because weed is legal there now? my job search isn't going too great and i wouldn't mind doing something different :?


My understanding is that when they went medical MJ a bunch of lawyers got into the field years ago, and now that most of the medical MJ places are the same who sell recreational, those same layers are making bank and pretty much have the field covered. But I'm not an expert.


Anonymous User wrote:Did anyones grades go down this last semester. I went down a bit. My potential employer kinda dumped me, which was awesome too.

Not b/c my grades.....



Mine did too. And sorry to hear about the employer anon.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.