The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jessuf

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jessuf » Fri May 09, 2014 12:47 pm

Yay, Spleen, congrats!!!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri May 09, 2014 12:50 pm

Hopefully every set of genitals in this thread are getting introduced to fail here very soon. Male, female, hermaphrodite, etc.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 09, 2014 1:07 pm

Yay spleen!!!!!!!!!

(Also :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 09, 2014 4:17 pm

Congrats, spleen! Really happy for you.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri May 09, 2014 4:29 pm

Jessuf wrote:Yay, Spleen, congrats!!!

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Fri May 09, 2014 5:04 pm

*shoots guns in the airs* yeehaw spleen! I dont know its friday so I think I am yosemite sam

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri May 09, 2014 5:41 pm

Spleen and I just Eiffel Towered today. Killed it in the interview.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Fri May 09, 2014 6:21 pm

spleenworship wrote:I got the dream job.

Congratulations! So glad the PD job came through.

I'm trying to work up the enthusiasm to apply to PD offices to hire me as a volunteer until some opens up post-bar. This is encouraging. There is absolutely no other area of law that I want to work in.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Fri May 09, 2014 6:34 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri May 09, 2014 7:27 pm

Bikeflip wrote:Spleen and I just Eiffel Towered today. Killed it in the interview.

Congrats bro!!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri May 09, 2014 7:29 pm

Lawst wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I got the dream job.

Congratulations! So glad the PD job came through.

I'm trying to work up the enthusiasm to apply to PD offices to hire me as a volunteer until some opens up post-bar. This is encouraging. There is absolutely no other area of law that I want to work in.

I'd say stick at it if you can afford to volunteer somehow. I know this door partially got opened to me because of prior volunteer work there. (Ie people I worked with there went to the manager and told them to reconsider me).

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri May 09, 2014 7:34 pm

Big congrats to spleen/bikeflip.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri May 09, 2014 7:58 pm

Heh, don't congratulate me too much. Still in the Vale until I hear otherwise.

whatsyourdeal

Postby whatsyourdeal » Fri May 09, 2014 8:18 pm

Congrats Spleen!!

Bike, you got this!

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Fri May 09, 2014 9:43 pm

Major congrats, Spleen! What are you gonna do to celebrate?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri May 09, 2014 10:03 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Major congrats, Spleen! What are you gonna do to celebrate?

I am out of champagne, and I can afford neither blow nor a hooker with an ass... So? Maybe watch an Archer and drink a little whiskey with the wife once he kids are asleep?

I know, I know... But C&F is only an issue if you get caught.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat May 10, 2014 1:25 pm

dresden doll wrote:Big congrats to spleen/bikeflip.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 10, 2014 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had an interview today for a clerkship position. At the time I thought it went okay (very, very complimentary of my resume, had a few laughs, seemed to get along) but on the drive home I started thinking about all the little things I did wrong. Like blinking too much or not sitting up straight at times or not enunciating clearly enough, really stupid shit. This is the last interview I had lined up before graduation, I've been on three others this semester and struck out at all of them with dat radio silence (actually scratch that I got one rejection letter today. The interview was in February but, you know, thanks for the extra kick in the nuts). If I don't get this job I'll probably be in the Vale until after bar results come out. And I know everyone just brushes that off like it's nothing (my cs certainly does) but six months is a decently long time to be unemployed.

This anon here. Really really hate to rain on the good news parade but...it looks like I didn't get the job. Was told I'd hear back last Tuesday, didn't hear anything all week (not even a rejection letter... I think that's bad form when I drove 4 hours to get to the interview).

I have no prospects left, no interviews on the horizon, already applied to every PD prosecutor and judge (who was hiring) in the state, applied to every entry-level position I could find, Symplicity is dead etc. etc. I got three rejection letters in the mail the day I graduated. Career services is no help and they can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, they just tell me to "keep applying." It's affecting every aspect of my life. Last week I was at a bar and was chatting with a cute singleton (rare in my town where the average age of marriage is like 24) and all I could think about was "what's the point of trying to date someone now? If I get offered anything anywhere I'll be on the next plane out of here to god knows where. And even if I don't get an offer I'll have to move anyway, I won't be able to afford my apartment without a job." I have no stability, no plans and it feels like no future. Just really, really down right now.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sat May 10, 2014 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had an interview today for a clerkship position. At the time I thought it went okay (very, very complimentary of my resume, had a few laughs, seemed to get along) but on the drive home I started thinking about all the little things I did wrong. Like blinking too much or not sitting up straight at times or not enunciating clearly enough, really stupid shit. This is the last interview I had lined up before graduation, I've been on three others this semester and struck out at all of them with dat radio silence (actually scratch that I got one rejection letter today. The interview was in February but, you know, thanks for the extra kick in the nuts). If I don't get this job I'll probably be in the Vale until after bar results come out. And I know everyone just brushes that off like it's nothing (my cs certainly does) but six months is a decently long time to be unemployed.

This anon here. Really really hate to rain on the good news parade but...it looks like I didn't get the job. Was told I'd hear back last Tuesday, didn't hear anything all week (not even a rejection letter... I think that's bad form when I drove 4 hours to get to the interview).

I have no prospects left, no interviews on the horizon, already applied to every PD prosecutor and judge (who was hiring) in the state, applied to every entry-level position I could find, Symplicity is dead etc. etc. I got three rejection letters in the mail the day I graduated. Career services is no help and they can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, they just tell me to "keep applying." It's affecting every aspect of my life. Last week I was at a bar and was chatting with a cute singleton (rare in my town where the average age of marriage is like 24) and all I could think about was "what's the point of trying to date someone now? If I get offered anything anywhere I'll be on the next plane out of here to god knows where. And even if I don't get an offer I'll have to move anyway, I won't be able to afford my apartment without a job." I have no stability, no plans and it feels like no future. Just really, really down right now.

I had pretty much the same thoughts (and results) you did at graduation last year. I know it's hard now and it never seems like it's going to get better. But it will. Go to the gym, focus on studying for the bar and despite career services being of no help, they are right in that you just have to keep applying. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck anon. PM me if you need more info or ideas.

presh

Postby presh » Sat May 10, 2014 5:55 pm

cinephile wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Big congrats to spleen/bikeflip.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sat May 10, 2014 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry, anon. I know how it feels with the interview. I did a clerkship interview and thought I did well just like you. As time post-interview stretched on, I started really dissecting my interview performance. It could be the judge is moving slower than usual or it could be maybe some alum with legal experience or whatever interviewed too. I'd try to forget it, enjoy graduation stuff for the time being, and then worry about job apps after that.

Also maybe ppl could post entry level jobs in this thread if they find good ones. My school mostly has east coast stuff, so if anyone is east coast, I could share some stuff.

stewart23

Postby stewart23 » Sat May 10, 2014 7:02 pm

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun May 11, 2014 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Keep applying. Keep talking to singles. Go to the gym. Find counseling if you can. Most of all, take care of yourself an keep putting one foot in front of the other, and youll get somewhere good eventually. We're here for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 11, 2014 10:39 pm

Anon, I have a major crush on a guy. He is extremely smart (goes to Yale) and he called me a few months ago. I couldn't even pick up the phone b/c there is no stability in my life. I'll follow back on that in a few months... depending on how things pan out in my life.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun May 11, 2014 10:52 pm

Anybody done interviews with prosecution offices in less populous states (i.e. where you won't have 3 rounds of interviews like in Chiraq or NYC, probably just one, maybe two)? Care to comment on whether or not they still throw the DA-interview hypotheticals at you?

Return to “Legal Employment”