The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sparty99

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby sparty99 » Thu May 08, 2014 5:09 pm

Jessuf wrote:I had an interview today that I think well. I would start this summer as a clerk for an hourly wage, no benefits. I would have to work 40 hrs/week during bar prep, but I would be permitted to work four 10-hour days and also take time off before the bar to cram. Come September, my performance would be evaluated, and if they like me, I would be hired as a FT associate with a salary and benefits. Decision to be made at the beginning of next week. I am a bit worried about accepting a job that requires 40 hours/week during bar study time. I also have no idea what the pay is like yet. I was told it would be discussed if an offer was made.

Then today I got a call to see if I was still interested in clerking for a judge I sent my app to a million months ago. Two of my professors spoke with the judge, and then I never heard from him so I assumed he had decided against me. The JA who called said that since I was still interested in interviewing, she would call back within the next 10 days once the judge confirms availability for interviews.

I'm in such an awesome mood right now.

I would try 20-30 hours a week. Tell them if you don't pass, then you can't be a lawyer.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu May 08, 2014 5:22 pm

4 10s would be do-able (esp if you took Weds off), but you're going to hate your life. If you got the position, I'd start bar prepping soon (get the videos out of the way), just so you have ample time to look at the bar materials, work, and recoup from burnout.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu May 08, 2014 5:26 pm

northwood wrote:
JenDarby wrote:That's great Jess!!

Woot woot!!! Glad to hear the news!! Keep the good news train a rolling!!

ETA: My interview with PD dream job seemed to go well today. It wasn't my best interview ever... I started out VERY nervous, but once I got into the groove I think I did OK.

I'll let you know what they say when I hear. I realize this is semi-douchey considering I am out of the Vale either way, but if anyone wants to cross their fingers, pray to Thor/Zeus/God/Flying Spagetti/etc. for me, I'll take it.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu May 08, 2014 5:32 pm

spleenworship wrote:
northwood wrote:
JenDarby wrote:That's great Jess!!

Woot woot!!! Glad to hear the news!! Keep the good news train a rolling!!

ETA: My interview with PD dream job seemed to go well today. It wasn't my best interview ever... I started out VERY nervous, but once I got into the groove I think I did OK.

I'll let you know what they say when I hear. I realize this is semi-douchey considering I am out of the Vale either way, but if anyone wants to cross their fingers, pray to Thor/Zeus/God/Flying Spagetti/etc. for me, I'll take it.

Will do! Hoping and praying for the best for you an your family!!! Go Spleen Go!!

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu May 08, 2014 5:34 pm

spleenworship wrote:ETA: My interview with PD dream job seemed to go well today. It wasn't my best interview ever... I started out VERY nervous, but once I got into the groove I think I did OK.

I can't fathom you saying anything even remotely douchey. Good luck!

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu May 08, 2014 9:56 pm

Bikeflip wrote:4 10s would be do-able (esp if you took Weds off), but you're going to hate your life. If you got the position, I'd start bar prepping soon (get the videos out of the way), just so you have ample time to look at the bar materials, work, and recoup from burnout.

I'm self-studying b/c I couldn't afford Barbri/Themis. Will I want to kill myself even more?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 08, 2014 10:50 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:4 10s would be do-able (esp if you took Weds off), but you're going to hate your life. If you got the position, I'd start bar prepping soon (get the videos out of the way), just so you have ample time to look at the bar materials, work, and recoup from burnout.

I'm self-studying b/c I couldn't afford Barbri/Themis. Will I want to kill myself even more?

Themis is $1115 with shipping and handling if you say you're doing public service after graduation. Still a lot, but way cheaper than Barbri. You can buy it whenever (just got mine a few days ago). It might help to have a course!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu May 08, 2014 11:58 pm

Jess, from everything I have heard... You might want to try to find the money for Themis. Especially for that hard ass bar you are taking.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri May 09, 2014 12:01 am

sealocust swore by just doing baroutlines.com (or is it.net?), but if you do decide to study without themis, gimme a PM and I can try to give you some pointers on how to study. I was going to just do thesealocust thing, but got a little paranoid and decided I wanted to make sure I was learning everything I needed to learn, but if I had to take another bar I would definitely just self-study. the thing that a course really gives you is peace of mind that you are learning everything and going at a proper pace.

but I can give you a rough schedule and shit if you fb me or pm me. you'll be fine either way i think.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri May 09, 2014 12:14 am

Jessuf wrote:

Grab a set Jul 2013/Feb 2014 bar books and run with it. The test is about doing practice questions. The videos are nice for learning some material, but they aren't necessary. I'd still start early if you're going to work full time; I wouldn't want to study for 5 hours on top of working 10 hours.

And Kronk, congrats brewsef.
Last edited by Bikeflip on Fri May 09, 2014 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri May 09, 2014 12:34 am

Thanks dude, I did indeed pass.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri May 09, 2014 1:00 am

Kronk wrote:Thanks dude, I did indeed pass.

Fucking grats bro!

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Fri May 09, 2014 1:28 am

Jessuf wrote:

I did this and worked 30 hours a week up until bar and passed. I have loads of materials on my computer. Some of them are a bit dated (2007) but I promise you the test hasn't changed at all. What state are you studying for?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri May 09, 2014 10:22 am

I'm taking CA, which is notoriously difficult and only 35% MBE. I do have a full set of Barbri books. I was going to do baroutlines and then practice CA tests on some website I found. You guys are all scaring me now, but I won't have $ for Themis until probably mid-June if I get a job.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri May 09, 2014 10:42 am

I think you can do a payment plan with Themis, not sure.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Fri May 09, 2014 11:12 am

Jessuf wrote:I'm taking CA, which is notoriously difficult and only 35% MBE. I do have a full set of Barbri books. I was going to do baroutlines and then practice CA tests on some website I found. You guys are all scaring me now, but I won't have $ for Themis until probably mid-June if I get a job.

Again, I think you can do this on your own. If you are not confident though, I would figure out a way to make Themis happen (bar loan, payment plan, etc). If you have all the BarBri books that's more than sufficient. Do those include practice questions? I studied off of outlines and just doing thousands of practice questions. Bar outlines gives you outlines and a pretty solid bank of test questions for $50. Can't be beat imo.
CA is hard, but smart people still do fairly well. UCLA/USC/Davis/Berkely all posted 85-88% pass rates for first time takers. Start studying as soon as exams end, and you'll be fine.
http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... 2214_R.pdf

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri May 09, 2014 11:52 am

I got the dream job.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri May 09, 2014 11:58 am

spleenworship wrote:I got the dream job.

This is AMAZING! It's full time too?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri May 09, 2014 12:01 pm

JenDarby wrote:

This is AMAZING! It's full time too?

It will be after bar passage. Part time until then.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri May 09, 2014 12:07 pm

Describe your scrotum as it relates to fail, Spleen.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri May 09, 2014 12:10 pm

spleen went outside in the cold desert night and, when his scrotum hardened into a rough approximation of a pink basketball, dribbled it off the forehead of fail like he was jamal crawford.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri May 09, 2014 12:11 pm

Kronk wrote:spleen went outside in the cold desert night and, when his scrotum hardened into a rough approximation of a pink basketball, dribbled it off the forehead of fail like he was jamal crawford.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri May 09, 2014 12:13 pm

bjsesq wrote:Describe your scrotum as it relates to fail, Spleen.

I slapped Fail so hard with my cock he went down and then I placed my scrotum on his forehead and roughly dragged it down Fail's nose until it rested firmly in Fail's mouth. Then I bounced up an down for a few before going off into the desert and lighting a cigarette.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri May 09, 2014 12:16 pm

Fail is getting a lot of male genitals lately.

forgotmyusername

Postby forgotmyusername » Fri May 09, 2014 12:16 pm

congratulations!

Return to “Legal Employment”