The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jbagelboy

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 06, 2014 9:33 pm

not even a 3L, but just wanted to say congrats spleen you've done a lot for this site.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue May 06, 2014 10:18 pm

jbagelboy wrote:not even a 3L, but just wanted to say congrats spleen you've done a lot for this site.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue May 06, 2014 10:24 pm

Hooray spleen!!!!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue May 06, 2014 10:28 pm

Spleeeeeeeeeeeen! FUCK YEAH BROTHER! So incredibly stoked for you.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue May 06, 2014 10:39 pm

Spleen you had better be doing something awesome to celebrate.

For other valers, if anyone has a resume with a lot of work on LGBTI issues or international human rights in general, and speaks French or Spanish, send me a PM. We're hiring to fill my position in the next couple of months (ngo in DC).

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue May 06, 2014 11:02 pm

worldtraveler wrote:Spleen you had better be doing something awesome to celebrate.

Beers and $0.50 tacos.

Later Ill be doing shots with my wife and watching dumb TV.

Might sound boring to y'all, but right now this is the best night I've had in years.

samcro_op

Postby samcro_op » Tue May 06, 2014 11:32 pm

spleenworship wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:Spleen you had better be doing something awesome to celebrate.

Beers and $0.50 tacos.

Might sound boring to y'all, but right now this is the best night I've had in years.

That sounds adorable and made me smile :) Hope you grabbed a nice bottle.

Congrats!

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue May 06, 2014 11:55 pm

samcro_op wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Beers and $0.50 tacos.

That sounds adorable and made me smile :) Hope you grabbed a nice bottle.

Congrats!

Congrats spleen!!!! That's all amazing news!

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed May 07, 2014 1:45 am

omg, that's awesome, spleen! so glad you copped dat PLSF job.

Unrelated, but I just received a rejection letter for a position I got an offer for. It was unpaid PD work that I wasn't going to take due to location issues anyway, but I loled to see the boiler plate "We received so many qualified resumes such as yours and regret to inform you we cannot offer you a position at this time in our program."

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Wed May 07, 2014 2:15 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 07, 2014 9:02 am

Very pleased for you Spleen. You deserve it.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed May 07, 2014 9:03 am

Jessuf wrote:Unrelated, but I just received a rejection letter for a position I got an offer for. It was unpaid PD work that I wasn't going to take due to location issues anyway, but I loled to see the boiler plate "We received so many qualified resumes such as yours and regret to inform you we cannot offer you a position at this time in our program."

Lol. Like a preemptive breakup from some insecure guy?

Also, I've been thinking about government jobs lately. I think anyone with some litigation experience in law school should hit up state and local government websites. They always seem to have an entry level job or two, at least where I am living. PLSF eligible, and pretty secure once you get it. You just have to come up with a reason you wanted to work there. A lot of these jobs are post bar, but I bet they'd take people as unpaid or as paid interns this summer and then hire later.

Sure, investigating Medicaid fraud or litigating on behalf of an animal shelter isn't as exciting as DA/PD, but it's still a job with experience.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed May 07, 2014 11:21 am

So... Just got offered my PD dream job. Um... Not quite sure what to do. It's a tiny legal community here, and I don't want to burn any bridges.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed May 07, 2014 11:27 am

spleenworship wrote:So... Just got offered my PD dream job. Um... Not quite sure what to do. It's a tiny legal community here, and I don't want to burn any bridges.

Isn't it amazing how shit like that just falls into place at the worst time? Anyway, I think the other place will understand that you want the security and the paycheck, not to mention the fact that this is the work you've wanted to do. Either way, congrats on having to make this decision!

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed May 07, 2014 11:32 am

spleenworship wrote:So... Just got offered my PD dream job. Um... Not quite sure what to do. It's a tiny legal community here, and I don't want to burn any bridges.

Good news is raining upon you!!! Is it full time work that is is not tempoarary? If it is, I would take that in a second, as it is your dream job. The temporary job has the potential to become full time, and this is full time- no strings attached? Considering your circumstances, I would go with the more assured position, to minimize the chances of having to reenter the Vale.

Kindly tell the other place about this, and give your reasons. I would go with the more assured position and not look back.

Especially since it is your dream PD job.

Congrats again!!!!! Im so extremely happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed May 07, 2014 11:40 am

If you tell them right away you won't burn bridges. Especially if the dream job is not a temp job. Anyone who isn't a crazy person should understand.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Wed May 07, 2014 11:44 am

Congrats and take the dream job! Since you just got both job offers, the first job should not be too upset about you rescinding because they really haven't invested too much in you in terms of time and money. Plus, as is evident here, there are tons of qualified candidates that the first firm can get at a moment's notice if necessary.

And even if that place gets really upset even after your explanation, ask yourself this: Do you really want to work for a place that is reacting irrationally?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed May 07, 2014 11:59 am

I called and left a message with the PDs to confirm there is a full time attorney job afterwards. If there is, I will probably take it. If there isn't, I'll stay where I am. Trying to figure out what to do if they say something like "we think that there will be positions as attorneys, but we aren't sure."

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed May 07, 2014 12:02 pm

Wow spleen! I agree with everyone else. If this PD job is full time than take it and run with it, or you will (likely) always regret it. Te other place should understand. It's late in the game and you couldn't have expected this, plus you just accepted so it shouldn't substantially affect their hiring process.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Wed May 07, 2014 12:05 pm

When it rains it pours. Can you lateral into the PD job at a later time, Spleen? I'd be weary of "yeah, we might have work" offers.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed May 07, 2014 12:07 pm

Bikeflip wrote:When it rains it pours. Can you lateral into the PD job at a later time, Spleen? I'd be weary of "yeah, we might have work" offers.

Yeah, I could lateral later. Lets see what they say when she calls back. She's probably in court right now still.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed May 07, 2014 12:09 pm

Spleen jugglin' jobs now

I got two more interviews, although one of them they auto-scheduled for the same time as my interview in Vail, and I have to see if they will reschedule because they're only doing one day of interviews and the cities are like 3 hours drive apart.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed May 07, 2014 12:10 pm

Kronk wrote:Spleen jugglin' jobs now

I got two more interviews, although one of them they auto-scheduled for the same time as my interview in Vail, and I have to see if they will reschedule because they're only doing one day of interviews and the cities are like 3 hours drive apart.

Wow! Good luck dude!

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed May 07, 2014 3:35 pm

Awesome, spleen! I'm glad the PD thing finally worked out for you. I would totally take the dream job and run with it. I doubt it will burn bridges if you explain the position you're in.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed May 07, 2014 3:45 pm

Spleen just dragging his scrotum cross the face of fail. Nice work, brother.

Return to “Legal Employment”