The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 05, 2014 10:28 pm

Kronk wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I have a bit of a weird situation. Jobless 3L at a T14. I landed an interview with a firm in State A where I have concrete ties. However, I have already signed up to take the bar in State B in July and the deadline for signing up for the July exam in State A will have passed by the time I would, in theory, get an offer. I never indicated in my application that I was taking the bar in State A but they still decided to interview me. Am I dead in the water? Should I cancel the interview?

TYIA.

The states don't both happen to be UBE states, do they?

You could ask the firm.

Gonna email the person now. They are not UBE states.

EDIT: Also all the attorneys are admitted in the firm's state.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue May 06, 2014 10:50 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Kronk wrote:Got an interview for a job in Vail.

Good luck!!!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue May 06, 2014 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Kronk wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I have a bit of a weird situation. Jobless 3L at a T14. I landed an interview with a firm in State A where I have concrete ties. However, I have already signed up to take the bar in State B in July and the deadline for signing up for the July exam in State A will have passed by the time I would, in theory, get an offer. I never indicated in my application that I was taking the bar in State A but they still decided to interview me. Am I dead in the water? Should I cancel the interview?

TYIA.

You could ask the firm.

Gonna email the person now. They are not UBE states.

EDIT: Also all the attorneys are admitted in the firm's state.

Any other kinds of reciprocity at all?

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue May 06, 2014 11:12 am

Kronk wrote:

TYIA.

You could ask the firm.

Check for reciprocity. Also why did you sign up to take the bar in state B? If they ask( and there is no reciprocity) you need to be able to give a good reason. Don't cancel the interview. Just be ready to answer that question. BeSt of luck to you.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue May 06, 2014 12:49 pm

What Northwood said, and do you know if the firm's opening an office in State B?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 06, 2014 1:09 pm

Bikeflip wrote:What Northwood said, and do you know if the firm's opening an office in State B?

Nope no reciprocity and AFAIK they're not opening an office in my bar state.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 06, 2014 3:29 pm

Had an interview at a dream firm last week. I'm the only one that they interviewed for it and I thought it went well. Someone forwarded my resume around that that is how I got it.

But, the phone hasn't rang yet. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Idk. how to distract myself. I freak out at any email that I get thinking it is a rejection.

Also, to the person that has an interview at another bar... don't say anything now. Hopefully they will not ask you about the bar. If they do, tell them you have signed up for another state but will be willing to sit in that particular state in Feburary. The fact that you sat for a different bar did not blow the situation. Remember that. They may just like your personality and hire you just for that. :-)

Edit: I don't think you should have alerted the firm. But still sit for the interview b/c they might like you and don't focus on that.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue May 06, 2014 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had an interview at a dream firm last week. I'm the only one that they interviewed for it and I thought it went well. Someone forwarded my resume around that that is how I got it.

But, the phone hasn't rang yet. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Idk. how to distract myself. I freak out at any email that I get thinking it is a rejection.

Movie? TV? Video Games? Work out? Go for a run or hike? Go out with some friends? Find someone to have sex with?

I know it's hard, but get out and do something and that'll distract you. Doesn't really matter what it is.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue May 06, 2014 5:49 pm

So...

I took the temporary job offer today that will, they assure me, almost certainly become an attorney position in October. It's not my dream job (which was the PDs, obviously), but it's a good job. It pays well for PI work, it makes a difference, it helps vest my pension, and qualifies for PSLF. I could've done a lot worse. (Feel free to PM if you want more details, I'm happy to share in a less public place).

So it looks like (fingers fucking crossed, knock on wood, etc.) that I am out of the Vale. I'm so relieved my fingers are fucking shaking as I type.

It has been... AMAZING... and I really mean "amazing," talking with you guys the last 9 months and feeling the support. Going through the ups and downs with you guys, supporting you, cheering when you left the Vale... I never could have made it without all of you. Seriously, I think I would've just crawled into a little hole and psychically died without y'all. I'm actually tearing up a little. I think all the stress is finally coming out.

I love you guys! I'll stick around for a while to be there for everyone (or God forbid, to save my place in case I end up in the Vale again... but mostly for all my homies in here).

tl;dr - I'm out, yo. Peace and love!

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue May 06, 2014 5:55 pm

Grats bro!

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:56 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue May 06, 2014 6:00 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
3|ink wrote:Grats bro!

Good stuff, happy for you!

Congrats, spleen!

hous

Postby hous » Tue May 06, 2014 6:20 pm

spleenworship wrote:So...

I took the temporary job offer today that will, they assure me, almost certainly become an attorney position in October. It's not my dream job (which was the PDs, obviously), but it's a good job. It pays well for PI work, it makes a difference, it helps vest my pension, and qualifies for PSLF. I could've done a lot worse. (Feel free to PM if you want more details, I'm happy to share in a less public place).

So it looks like (fingers fucking crossed, knock on wood, etc.) that I am out of the Vale. I'm so relieved my fingers are fucking shaking as I type.

It has been... AMAZING... and I really mean "amazing," talking with you guys the last 9 months and feeling the support. Going through the ups and downs with you guys, supporting you, cheering when you left the Vale... I never could have made it without all of you. Seriously, I think I would've just crawled into a little hole and psychically died without y'all. I'm actually tearing up a little. I think all the stress is finally coming out.

I love you guys! I'll stick around for a while to be there for everyone (or God forbid, to save my place in case I end up in the Vale again... but mostly for all my homies in here).

Congrats!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:24 pm

Awesome news spleen!

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Tue May 06, 2014 6:25 pm

Congrats!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 06, 2014 6:45 pm

So happy for you brother

CoffeeIsLife

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Tue May 06, 2014 7:14 pm

That's awesome congrats

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue May 06, 2014 7:27 pm

Hell yeah, Spleen!

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:43 pm

Grats Spleen.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 06, 2014 7:59 pm

Anon from above: Interview went well and they didn't even ask about it. We'll see.

Congrats Spleen. You've had a shit road and it's good to see it worked out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 06, 2014 8:01 pm

Yay spleen!!!!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue May 06, 2014 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anon from above: Interview went well and they didn't even ask about it. We'll see.

Congrats Spleen. You've had a shit road and it's good to see it worked out.

I hope that job works out for you anon! Good luck!

Hopefully they like you and don't give a shit about waiting until February. Hell, they have to know it was possible you weren't taking their bar anyway given the deadline situation.

chem!

Postby chem! » Tue May 06, 2014 8:07 pm

That's great news, spleen. I'm so happy for you!

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue May 06, 2014 8:43 pm

Grats Spleen.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue May 06, 2014 9:30 pm

Slow clap for Spleen. Congrats man, enjoy that moment of leaving the vale--it's an enormous relief.

Return to “Legal Employment”