The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chrisbru

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:35 pm

sparty99 wrote:
You are only a 3L? You have been complaining all this time and you are a 3L? You haven't even passed the bar? You have had like 10 interviews already? You haven't even graduated yet? I can't right now....

If you hadn't already crossed a line, you crossed it here. SHUT UP ALREADY YOU POMPOUS ASSHAT. Until this point you have been mostly just annoying, but this post is completely inappropriate. Grow up and learn how to be a functional social being.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:38 pm

Glad someone beat me to the punch:

This post has already been reported.

Get rid of this asshat.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:39 pm

(clicks thread entitled "3L Job Hunting")
(complains about posters posting about 3l job hunting)

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:42 pm

LeDique wrote:(clicks thread entitled "3L Job Hunting")
(complains about posters posting about 3l job hunting)

Agreed.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:53 pm

I hope something comes through for you spleen. And that someone has the good sense to ban sparty already.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:00 pm

El Pollito wrote:I hope something comes through for you spleen. And that someone has the good sense to ban sparty already.

Seconded. In my rage, I forgot to throw some support your way Spleen. You seem like a good, hardworking dude, something is bound to land for you.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:11 pm

spleenworship wrote:I have a mortgage to pay this summer. Do you have one of those?

I have two kids to feed. Do you have that?

I can't take loans this summer. If I don't have a job, my family loses their home. And doesn't eat.

You ever think that maybe there was a reason I was freaking out? Despite the fact that I am only a 3L?

You don't know my situation. So just shut up sparty.

I don't know why you are always complaining about finding work, when you just said you turned down a job and have a pending offer. This all coming off the heals of at least 10 interviews. You have done more than most 3L's and you haven't even passed the bar, so you can't even practice law. You need to start looking at the bright side of things.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:16 pm

For fuck's sake, mods. Can we fucking move on this, please?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:21 pm

sparty,

I turned down a temp job for a possible job that requires three government agencies to approve it before I can get it. So it isn't certain. And I complain in here because this is the place for complaining and getting support. If you don't want to hear 3Ls venting their worry and frustration, don't click on the thread. It's that fucking easy.

Look at the guy you quoted originally. He told me I have time without being a douchebag. You could try the same thing. Or better yet, don't even come in the thread again.

And once again, I'm complaining because I do not have as much time to get one before serious financial consequences occur to me and my loved ones. Nor can I go back to my previous job. If you don't get that, fine, but don't come into a fricking support and advice thread and comment on it if you don't get it.

ETA: look at bjs. That bro had to take a menial job to support his family. I don't look down on him for it. No one does. But if you think I want to do that, or that bjs would recommend it, you are retarded.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:26 pm

spleenworship wrote:sparty,

I turned down a temp job for a possible job that requires three government agencies to approve it before I can get it. So it isn't certain. And I complain in here because this is the place for complaining and getting support. If you don't want to hear 3Ls venting their worry and frustration, don't click on the thread. It's that fucking easy.

Look at the guy you quoted originally. He told me I have time without being a douchebag. You could try the same thing. Or better yet, don't even come in the thread again.

And once again, I'm complaining because I do not have as much time to get one before serious financial consequences occur to me and my loved ones. Nor can I go back to my previous job. If you don't get that, fine, but don't come into a fricking support and advice thread and comment on it if you don't get it.

ETA: look at bjs. That bro had to take a menial job to support his family. I don't look down on him for it. No one does. But if you think I want to do that, or that bjs would recommend it, you are retarded.

You should take any offer you can get and worry about reneging once you get the full-time job. Spleen, you have time. Good luck.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:28 pm

Thanks for the good luck wish. But I'm not an idiot. I turned town the temp work because reneging on my dream job would have consequences down the line if I ever got a chance to work there again. I'm not an idiot, sparty. I might be at a TT, but it isn't because I'm actively stupid.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:55 pm

spleenworship wrote:Thanks for the good luck wish. But I'm not an idiot. I turned town the temp work because reneging on my dream job would have consequences down the line if I ever got a chance to work there again. I'm not an idiot, sparty. I might be at a TT, but it isn't because I'm actively stupid.

Completely forgot where you are looking, but have you thought about applying to landmen positions in the O&G industry? Might be a little hard if you're in school, but if you can get time away from the class room and visit the counties for O&G normally there are immediate openings for landmen positions for JDs/graduates. It's essentially title search and basic contract work in random rural counties and courthouses but you make good money. Problem is most of these have turn over / aren't posted online so it's really up to hustling person to get them.
http://www.landmanjobs.net/

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:09 pm

My heart goes out to you spleen

Sorry ab the bad luck

It's shit that so much of job searching is luck

Here's to hoping it turns around for you

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:26 pm

typ3 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Thanks for the good luck wish. But I'm not an idiot. I turned town the temp work because reneging on my dream job would have consequences down the line if I ever got a chance to work there again. I'm not an idiot, sparty. I might be at a TT, but it isn't because I'm actively stupid.

Completely forgot where you are looking, but have you thought about applying to landmen positions in the O&G industry? Might be a little hard if you're in school, but if you can get time away from the class room and visit the counties for O&G normally there are immediate openings for landmen positions for JDs/graduates. It's essentially title search and basic contract work in random rural counties and courthouses but you make good money. Problem is most of these have turn over / aren't posted online so it's really up to hustling person to get them.
http://www.landmanjobs.net/

This is interesting. Ill look into this. Thanks!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:43 pm

sparty99 wrote:

You should take any offer you can get and worry about reneging once you get the full-time job. Spleen, you have time. Good luck.

This shows a little grace, so I feel a tiny bit bad, but sparty's still banned.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:47 pm

Don't know why all this negativity appeared, but it's uncalled for. Don't have much advice to offer, but good luck to all. Happy to proofread cover letters or resumes or whatever to the extent it's helpful.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:34 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

This shows a little grace, so I feel a tiny bit bad, but sparty's still banned.

Make it so he can't post in this thread anymore. Dude's not going to change.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:36 am

This isn't a witch hunt thread (in fact there are no such threads). If you have issues/concerns with moderation, there is a mod Q&A thread or you can PM a mod.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:44 am

Mouse is the reason we can't have nice things.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:45 am

I am where fun goes to die.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:12 am

Asked career services what kind of questions to ask the judge at the end of my interview. Their answer: "Don't worry about that too much, that doesn't matter. Maybe just ask what law clerks do? That should be enough." 0__0

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:02 pm

Once again career services earns their salaries.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:13 pm

What now, Spleen?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:23 pm

I think he's referring to the post above him.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:31 pm

bk1 wrote:I think he's referring to the post above him.

Bingo.

Should've quoted. Sorry

Return to “Legal Employment”