The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:58 pm

I'm still trying for state trial court clerkships and I get the impression I'm getting autorejected by HR and not even making it into the stack of apps that go to chambers. ... :cry:

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats to the anon who go the PD job!!! Great to hear.

I gather it is rather pointless to apply to USCIS with zero immigration law experience? I have been applying to any entry-level fed. gov't job but USCIS requires two letters of recommendation. I have people who would gladly write me letters but am hesitant to call in favors, esp. in a practice area in which I have not expressed any interest to my network of people. It's one thing to apply to every job hopelessly when it's your own time wasted, but another to ask that of someone else.

Very effective strategy though - the letters of rec are a sufficient roadblock to keep me, someone interested in gov't work but with zero immigration experience, from applying.

The range of things I'm applying to at this point is pretty comical.

Yeah dude now is not the time to be picky. I know the feeling. But I don't apply to stuff where I have literally not even a smidgen of anything I can point to on my resume in support of it. Waste of time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:For everyone who has been mass-mailing and gotten some success, what are you mailing? Are you sending a "do you have any openings" email, or just emailing bombing your resume and transcript to the hiring contact? Any cover letter?

Bump.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:07 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Congrats to the anon who go the PD job!!! Great to hear.

I gather it is rather pointless to apply to USCIS with zero immigration law experience? I have been applying to any entry-level fed. gov't job but USCIS requires two letters of recommendation. I have people who would gladly write me letters but am hesitant to call in favors, esp. in a practice area in which I have not expressed any interest to my network of people. It's one thing to apply to every job hopelessly when it's your own time wasted, but another to ask that of someone else.

Very effective strategy though - the letters of rec are a sufficient roadblock to keep me, someone interested in gov't work but with zero immigration experience, from applying.

The range of things I'm applying to at this point is pretty comical.

Yeah dude now is not the time to be picky. I know the feeling. But I don't apply to stuff where I have literally not even a smidgen of anything I can point to on my resume in support of it. Waste of time.

Yeah there's no point applying to jobs where you're so far off base you're just going to piss off whomever's reading your resume, i.e. ones that call for 5 years' experience, etc.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:58 pm

Off the boat. I wish you all the best of luck. Keep hustling. Three years of continuous law school disappointment was made worth it by today. I'm a better person and I'll be a better lawyer from this struggle - and you all will be too.

Edit because I can't spell
Last edited by beach_terror on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:00 pm

beach_terror wrote:Off the boat. I was you all the best of luck. Keep hustling. Three years of continuous law school disappointment was made worth it by today. I'm a better person and I'll be a better lawyer from this struggle - and you all will be too.

Great to hear man. As someone who's known you (as a poaster) since 0L days, this is awesome news.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:15 pm

Very cool. Three more months until LS is over. I guess there is always Walmart for the rest of us :lol:

Postby 20160810 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:35 pm

beach_terror wrote:Off the boat. I was you all the best of luck. Keep hustling. Three years of continuous law school disappointment was made worth it by today. I'm a better person and I'll be a better lawyer from this struggle - and you all will be too.

Congrats dude

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:55 pm

beach_terror wrote:Off the boat. I wish you all the best of luck. Keep hustling. Three years of continuous law school disappointment was made worth it by today. I'm a better person and I'll be a better lawyer from this struggle - and you all will be too.

Congrats bro!

son_of_ben

Postby son_of_ben » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:52 pm

beach_terror wrote:Off the boat. I wish you all the best of luck. Keep hustling. Three years of continuous law school disappointment was made worth it by today. I'm a better person and I'll be a better lawyer from this struggle - and you all will be too.

Congrats. If you don't mind me asking, was it the firm you were clerking at part-time that extended the offer? Curious because we are in the same geographic area, I think.

2LsAPlenty

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Well whether Brit or American, 90 days and counting until graduation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:16 pm

Honestly I think the rejections that frame it like they are doing me a favor are the worst. "We loved you and would have loved to hire you, but we just think you'd be happier in X position, so we hired someone else." Well as long as you guys, who have spoken to me for all of 2 hours, know better than I do that crushing unemployment will actually make me happier than the job I spent several hours applying and days interviewing with, I guess that makes me feel great!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:38 pm

Feelings on applying to positions requiring 1-2 years of experience? I have tried on a few, but it has netted little to nothing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Feelings on applying to positions requiring 1-2 years of experience? I have tried on a few, but it has netted little to nothing.

+1

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Feelings on applying to positions requiring 1-2 years of experience? I have tried on a few, but it has netted little to nothing.

Why not I guess

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:30 pm

Awesome. Congrats

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:31 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Why not I guess

Speak of the devil, I just posted an hour ago about this....just got a screener from a firm job poasting I applied to requiring 1-2yrs experience. Thus, TCR seems to be yes, apply to these!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Why not I guess

Speak of the devil, I just posted an hour ago about this....just got a screener from a firm job poasting I applied to requiring 1-2yrs experience. Thus, TCR seems to be yes, apply to these!

Nice! Hopefully doing this will open up a few more possibilities.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:52 pm

Had a small firm interview that went really well last Friday, and two more interviews (mid-sized firms in my out of the way hometown market) next week. This is after months of stone cold silence and mucho rejecto; don't lose hope, bros.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For everyone who has been mass-mailing and gotten some success, what are you mailing? Are you sending a "do you have any openings" email, or just emailing bombing your resume and transcript to the hiring contact? Any cover letter?

Bump.

Extra-special bump?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:08 pm

Applied for a position as a clerk at a local firm. Got the rejection letter from the SA program. Typical 3L job search.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Bump.

Extra-special bump?

I've resorted to sending applications (at least to the smaller firms) by physical mailing. I've had two small firm hiring attorneys say that this is their preference. I guess it shows an increased interest in the firm? I just sent a few last week, so I'll update if there is any success.

Also, for the few interviews I had last semester, I just emailed my resume, a cover letter, and an updated transcript. Of course, most of my emails were ignored or promptly rejected, but I was somewhat lucky.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:15 am

After over a month of silence, today I got two offers to interview. One is tomorrow, another is Thursday.

windowcactus

Postby windowcactus » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:45 am

For those of you who received recent offers to interview, were the interviews the result of mass-mailing or networking?

Return to “Legal Employment”