The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cinephile

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby cinephile » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:56 pm

BU has like three 30k fellowships, and then (unlimited?) $15/hr 15hr/wk fellowships.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:56 pm

My school does nothing. Absolutely nothing.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:16 pm

I wonder if I will be barred from that $12k/yr thing if I get a part-time job at Costco or something. I'm thinking maybe I should choose to do the LR article since those aren't so bad to write. Then I can get paid to get published while spending my free time hunting for worthwhile lawyer jobs and maybe while working part-time at some retail store.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:25 pm

Jessuf wrote:I wonder if I will be barred from that $12k/yr thing if I get a part-time job at Costco or something. I'm thinking maybe I should choose to do the LR article since those aren't so bad to write. Then I can get paid to get published while spending my free time hunting for worthwhile lawyer jobs and maybe while working part-time at some retail store.

Doing a LR article is probs easier but doing legal work is probs more worthwhile for future employment

Easier to find a job when you have a job and all that

Plus your fellowship may actually hire you

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:45 pm

open a solo firm for the grant money and work retail to troll for clients. leave puddles of water everywhere and pick up the slip-and-falls.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:56 pm

patogordo wrote:open a solo firm for the grant money and work retail to troll for clients. leave puddles of water everywhere and pick up the slip-and-falls.

Throw in sex with customers and alcohol addiction and you've got a perfect MPRE question.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:13 am

gdane wrote:
patogordo wrote:open a solo firm for the grant money and work retail to troll for clients. leave puddles of water everywhere and pick up the slip-and-falls.

Throw in sex with customers and alcohol addiction and you've got a perfect MPRE question.

Well, if having sex prior to representation, it's all good. Thanks barbri!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:21 am

I go the p in mvp and we have a post-grad 'internship' program for 1500/month for 35-40 which works out to <min. wage
tbh i'm considering working as a waitress and then just hanging around hotel bars

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:I go the p in mvp and we have a post-grad 'internship' program for 1500/month for 35-40 which works out to <min. wage
tbh i'm considering working as a waitress and then just hanging around hotel bars

:lol:

dead head

Postby dead head » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:I go the p in mvp and we have a post-grad 'internship' program for 1500/month for 35-40 which works out to <min. wage

$1500/month is over minimum wage. It's terrible, but it's more than minimum wage. I know this because Georgetown's $1000/month is just under minimum wage if you work the 35 hours/week required so they can tell the ABA you're employed full time.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:21 pm

duckpunchingmaniac wrote:How would an unemployed 3L break into it?

Depends. Do you have a business background? If you have a poli sci bachelors, probably not much of a chance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:33 pm

Officially out of the vale!

I was extended an informal offer last week but it was missing something essential, compensation. I was dreading the talk but I'm glad its over. I was offered a 10k more than I was expecting I would have to fight for so I'm ecstatic.

Its a small civil litigation firm I clerked at.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Officially out of the vale!

I was extended an informal offer last week but it was missing something essential, compensation. I was dreading the talk but I'm glad its over. I was offered a 10k more than I was expecting I would have to fight for so I'm ecstatic.

Does this mean you are not going to negotiate? Because you should still negotiate.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Congrats!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:55 pm

Congrats anon!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:19 pm

sparty99 wrote:

Does this mean you are not going to negotiate? Because you should still negotiate.

Quoted Anon here

Yeah, I don't want to negotiate. I feel fortunate for what they offered me. It is 15k higher than what an associate I went to school with, but graduated a year earlier, told me to expect.

I'm pleased with what was offered and I like the firm. I actually wanted to work here because the firms culture suits me and I'm getting right about what I feel my worth to be as a recent grad. Plus, I was getting no interviews with anything else so I don't want to risk anything.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Quoted Anon here

Yeah, I don't want to negotiate. I feel fortunate for what they offered me. It is 15k higher than what an associate I went to school with, but graduated a year earlier, told me to expect.

I'm pleased with what was offered and I like the firm. I actually wanted to work here because the firms culture suits me and I'm getting right about what I feel my worth to be as a recent grad. Plus, I was getting no interviews with anything else so I don't want to risk anything.

They aren't going to rescind your offer because you negotiate. If you have a legitimate basis for negotiation, you should. Consider total compensation package, including insurance, retirement plan, etc. If your offer is over the market rate for your location, then sure, just accept. If its below... Tell them that, and explain your reasoning for asking for a boost in compensation.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Quoted Anon here

That's dumb. You should always, always, always negotiate. They will not rescind the offer because you asked for more. Even if you asked for $5,000 more that is $5,000 more that you didn't have. But if you don't ask, you won't receive. The worst that they could say is "no." You can even justify asking for more money because you want to take a bar prep course and will have to pay bar fees. Why wouldn't you ask? It might be 15k more then what an Associate told you it would be, but clearly they were totally off base in their expectation. You might be pleased witht he offer, but you will be even more pleased if you received more. It's a rookie mistake if you don't negotiate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:27 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Quoted Anon here

They aren't going to rescind your offer because you negotiate. If you have a legitimate basis for negotiation, you should. Consider total compensation package, including insurance, retirement plan, etc. If your offer is over the market rate for your location, then sure, just accept. If its below... Tell them that, and explain your reasoning for asking for a boost in compensation.

It is over the market rate for recent graduates here. I also know its more than what they offered previous associates out of law school (data is online) so I don't think I left much, if anything, on the table. Thanks for looking out though, valid points. I wouldn't have accepted if I thought I wasn't getting what I'm worth out of law school. Plus I did accept the offer (I probably didn't mention this), I couldn't turn around and ask for more. That would look really bad IMO. They already paid 2.5k for my barbri course as well.

This is a tough market and they are being rather generous to me IMO.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:32 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Quoted Anon here

That's dumb. You should always, always, always negotiate. They will not rescind the offer because you asked for more. Even if you asked for $5,000 more that is $5,000 more that you didn't have. But if you don't ask, you won't receive. The worst that they could say is "no." You can even justify asking for more money because you want to take a bar prep course and will have to pay bar fees. Why wouldn't you ask? It might be 15k more then what an Associate told you it would be, but clearly they were totally off base in their expectation. You might be pleased witht he offer, but you will be even more pleased if you received more. It's a rookie mistake if you don't negotiate.

No, the worst you could do is piss people off before you start working. Get the fuck out of this thread already.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:37 pm

That's dumb. You should always, always, always negotiate. They will not rescind the offer because you asked for more. Even if you asked for $5,000 more that is $5,000 more that you didn't have. But if you don't ask, you won't receive. The worst that they could say is "no." You can even justify asking for more money because you want to take a bar prep course and will have to pay bar fees. Why wouldn't you ask? It might be 15k more then what an Associate told you it would be, but clearly they were totally off base in their expectation. You might be pleased witht he offer, but you will be even more pleased if you received more. It's a rookie mistake if you don't negotiate.[/quote]
No, the worst you could do is piss people off before you start working. Get the fuck out of this thread already.[/quote]

You are so stupid and clearly you don't have any professional experience as everyone knows you should negotiate salary. THIS IS BUSINESS. Studies after studies routinley show that women don't ask for more when they should. Additionally, this person is going to be a lawyer. Are they going to take the first offer that they receive when negotiating on behalf of a client? Give me a break.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:37 pm

sparty99 wrote:
You are so stupid and clearly you don't have any professional experience as everyone knows you should negotiate salary. THIS IS BUSINESS. Studies after studies routinley show that women don't ask for more when they should. Additionally, this person is going to be a lawyer. Are they going to take the first offer that they receive when negotiating on behalf of a client? Give me a break.

Are you on coke?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:47 pm

sparty99 wrote:You are so stupid and clearly you don't have any professional experience as everyone knows you should negotiate salary. THIS IS BUSINESS. Studies after studies routinley show that women don't ask for more when they should. Additionally, this person is going to be a lawyer. Are they going to take the first offer that they receive when negotiating on behalf of a client? Give me a break.

They could offer 45k (25k less than what I accepted) to my entire class or the neighboring private law school graduates and they would have a 50%+ acceptance rate because this market sucks right now. They are also paying 2.5k for my Barbri course, insurance, and offer a nice 401k. I am fortunate for this. No regrets.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:47 pm

I appreciate that sparty wants to offer advice and some of it is useful, but insulting other posters in this thread earns some time off.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:48 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I appreciate that sparty wants to offer advice and some of it is useful, but insulting other posters in this thread earns some time off.

I think that's a little harsh. Please don't out me.

Return to “Legal Employment”