The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
spleenworship

Gold

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by spleenworship » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:49 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Kronk wrote:The wait for a response is fucking brutal. I have had apps out for three or four months at some places and just recently got called in for an interview for one and rejected from another. What the fuck are these government offices doing with their time that they can't fill a position in a timely manner?

I think I'm gonna start sending in resumes to private firms and prosecution offices in case nothing pans out in PHASE ONE. The vale is truly a stressful place to be, filled with nightmares of my parent's basement.
Govt is lazy and inefficient

Great place to work
Seriously... Today they were all like "can you travel?" And I'm all "sure whatever, just fucking gimme a job." Their response "now, we don't wan you going over 40 hours a week, so you'd have to flex the next day or two to keep your hours down."

Salary lawyer job. No joke.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:29 pm

T14 3L, No journal (idk if it's important, but maybe you'd want to know? idk whatever)

After absolutely no interviews all year, I have an interview for an in house position. Great news, I'm very excited, but all I can think about is the one and only firm last year that I had a callback with that rejected me. Also, they haven't seen my transcript. Maybe they don't care? 2 firms that I've applied to this year with a resume and cl (Skadden and Desmarais) asked for a transcript and promptly rejected me.

Anyway, in all my anxiety I'm considering hiring a consultant (idk if that's what you call them). This person says they help law students find jobs, prep for interviews, use their network etc. and that every student they've worked with has found a summer or permanent position. Is it too early to be paying someone for help? I've read their firm bio and they seem legit.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:01 am

I don't know about a consultant, i always feel like those people might be shady. But I've never dealt with them and don't know anyone who has, so I could be way off base. In any case good luck with your interview. They wouldn't interview you if they weren't interested. Focus on good things about you that aren't grade related!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:27 am

spleenworship wrote:I don't know about a consultant, i always feel like those people might be shady. But I've never dealt with them and don't know anyone who has, so I could be way off base. In any case good luck with your interview. They wouldn't interview you if they weren't interested. Focus on good things about you that aren't grade related!
Thanks!

Now I'm wondering, I should bring copies of my transcript and resume right?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I don't know about a consultant, i always feel like those people might be shady. But I've never dealt with them and don't know anyone who has, so I could be way off base. In any case good luck with your interview. They wouldn't interview you if they weren't interested. Focus on good things about you that aren't grade related!
Thanks!

ya

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks!

Dude, I'm all about the PI. And PI, barring bigfed/ACLU doesn't give a shit about your grades. So I don't know about the transcript. You should have some private firm peeps in here help you out with this.

But resume is always TCR. Also cover letter and writing sample in case they forgot to bring it or want it from you.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:07 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks!

Dude, I'm all about the PI. And PI, barring bigfed/ACLU doesn't give a shit about your grades. So I don't know about the transcript. You should have some private firm peeps in here help you out with this.

But resume is always TCR. Also cover letter and writing sample in case they forgot to bring it or want it from you.

Bring all your shit (I pack two writing samples, new resume, list of refs, transcript), but don't volunteer any materials until you are asked. If you aren't asked for any materials, the last thing you should say is "is there anything else you need from me?" If transcript still is not mentioned, you are in the clear. If it is, nothing you can do but show that you are prepared and have brought it.

beariful

New

Post by beariful » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:09 pm

First time poster in the Vale, but a long time reader. Like many of you, I'm a 3L with nothing lined up post-bar (actually I'm a 4L because I'm an evening student).

Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone has had any luck with applying to jobs via LinkedIn. I've been seeing some great positions recently for requiring 1+ years experience (I think it's okay for me to apply to these, I've been working full time through all 4 years of law school in quasi-legal roles). I'm more concerned about the approach everyone takes. LinkedIn gives the option to directly submit your cover letter and resume for the job posting, but it also tells you who the job poster is. Would it be okay if I contacted the job poster directly? Or should I just apply through LinkedIn's automated submission method? I want to contact the poster directly because I feel like he's more likely to see my resume/cover letter this way, and it won't get lost in the hundreds he probably receives through LinkedIn, but I don't want to overstep any boundaries.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:21 pm

got invited to come interview at two separate offices today (neither of which I thought I would hear from until after bar results), in my preferred region, both after finals. these calls came a couple months after my original application was responded to with one of those form letters saying to reapply after bar results. one interviewer directly cited my resume strength, and the other seemed to imply that the res was the reason.

still no job, but it's a good day. things are moving for me again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:12 pm

anon who asked about resume and transcript from ^^^

Thanks everybody! I'm also gonna search LinkedIn for other people who have worked there. I'll let you know how it goes.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:24 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:got invited to come interview at two separate offices today (neither of which I thought I would hear from until after bar results), in my preferred region, both after finals. these calls came a couple months after my original application was responded to with one of those form letters saying to reapply after bar results. one interviewer directly cited my resume strength, and the other seemed to imply that the res was the reason.

Good!

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:27 pm

spleenworship wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:got invited to come interview at two separate offices today (neither of which I thought I would hear from until after bar results), in my preferred region, both after finals. these calls came a couple months after my original application was responded to with one of those form letters saying to reapply after bar results. one interviewer directly cited my resume strength, and the other seemed to imply that the res was the reason.

Good!
That's awesome!! It's great they are letting you come in after finals.

sundontshine

Bronze

Post by sundontshine » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:20 pm

beariful wrote:First time poster in the Vale, but a long time reader. Like many of you, I'm a 3L with nothing lined up post-bar (actually I'm a 4L because I'm an evening student).

Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone has had any luck with applying to jobs via LinkedIn. I've been seeing some great positions recently for requiring 1+ years experience (I think it's okay for me to apply to these, I've been working full time through all 4 years of law school in quasi-legal roles). I'm more concerned about the approach everyone takes. LinkedIn gives the option to directly submit your cover letter and resume for the job posting, but it also tells you who the job poster is. Would it be okay if I contacted the job poster directly? Or should I just apply through LinkedIn's automated submission method? I want to contact the poster directly because I feel like he's more likely to see my resume/cover letter this way, and it won't get lost in the hundreds he probably receives through LinkedIn, but I don't want to overstep any boundaries.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
I don't think it would necessarily hurt to apply via LinkedIn and then send a note to the person who posted the job, provided you had additional information to add outside of your resume and cover letter. Maybe say you applied, ask a question about the position, and then explain why it interests you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wlu2013

New

Post by wlu2013 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:41 pm

A while back I think there was discussion of a forum for attorneys that was spun off of this forum? Did that end up happening? Does anyone know how to get there? Thanks.

jess

Post by jess » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:42 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:12 am

Praying to whatever deity that I will soon be out. Got a call from an office I interviewed with saying they just need some references and a writing sample, but most likely will be offering me the position next week. Hope my writing samples don't suck too much (been difficult to provide anything substantive since most of my writing have been short memos). Crossing my fingers.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Praying to whatever deity that I will soon be out. Got a call from an office I interviewed with saying they just need some references and a writing sample, but most likely will be offering me the position next week. Hope my writing samples don't suck too much (been difficult to provide anything substantive since most of my writing have been short memos). Crossing my fingers.
That'd be a dick move if they did that and didn't offer you the job.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jess

Post by jess » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:15 am

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:31 am

Jessuf wrote:Does the BYU job bank never update? It seems like all of the job postings have apps due in February.
They do they are just usually like a month behind. I also found that it would update in the first 5-10 days of the month, at least at the schools I was regularly checking

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:48 pm

Are there solid non-criminal options for people that do appellate work for a state AG, public defender, or prosecutor? Or do those people have to stay with criminal law pretty much?

jess

Post by jess » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:55 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:06 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Kronk wrote:Are there solid non-criminal options for people that do appellate work for a state AG, public defender, or prosecutor? Or do those people have to stay with criminal law pretty much?
Maybe 1983 claims? I can also picture moving to family law/DV work or advocacy/policy stuff.
Yeah. It sucks to get wedged into one area of law, but I guess eventually that's how most people end up unless you work Gen Lit at a firm.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:20 pm

Kronk wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Praying to whatever deity that I will soon be out. Got a call from an office I interviewed with saying they just need some references and a writing sample, but most likely will be offering me the position next week. Hope my writing samples don't suck too much (been difficult to provide anything substantive since most of my writing have been short memos). Crossing my fingers.
That'd be a dick move if they did that and didn't offer you the job.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:28 pm

I think there was a Columbia grad in this thread who paid a consultant and got nothing after spending money. I would look for results and get references you can call and talk to before spending a dime. You should get a free initial consultation.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:50 pm

Kronk wrote:
Jessuf wrote:
Kronk wrote:Are there solid non-criminal options for people that do appellate work for a state AG, public defender, or prosecutor? Or do those people have to stay with criminal law pretty much?
Maybe 1983 claims? I can also picture moving to family law/DV work or advocacy/policy stuff.
Yeah. It sucks to get wedged into one area of law, but I guess eventually that's how most people end up unless you work Gen Lit at a firm.
Specialization is the name of the game these days

General lit is still a thing but if you're not gonna be as attractive as a lateral

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”