The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:54 pm

I would rather take that firm job then a job at the SSA. There seems to be no growth options with that agency. At least, with the firm, you can move around with lit and change if your smart about it.

The govt agency - exit options seem so horrible and the skills that you are learning aren't easily transferable.

Idk. tho. I'm a big risk taker. That is my two cents.

Also, BTW, I'm in a similar situation as you. My school literally advertised that job posting (and even called people up during that 24 hour window) and I didn't even apply b/c of that.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:33 pm

I'll take your SSA spot. I'll also do the clerkship that the other girl didn't want. TYIA.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:35 pm

Jessuf wrote:I'll take your SSA spot. I'll also do the clerkship that the other girl didn't want. TYIA.

Being an ALJ would be pretty sweet tbh.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:34 pm

Kronk wrote:
Jessuf wrote:I'll take your SSA spot. I'll also do the clerkship that the other girl didn't want. TYIA.

Being an ALJ would be pretty sweet tbh.

I second this.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:38 pm

where 2 cop job

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:09 pm

LeDique wrote:where 2 cop job

Wut?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:31 pm

I think it's this:

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:13 pm

Bikeflip wrote:I think it's this:

JOB LAND YAY! Being unemployed and going through finals is just as fun as it sounds. Fun.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am

Bikeflip wrote:I think it's this:

Can we put this in the fucking OP?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:34 am

I worked at the SSA for a little over a year and a half, probably doing the same job you're talking about.

It was a terribly mind numbing job... You do almost the exact same thing day-in and day-out. If you are the type of person who just wants to punch into work and punch out 8 hours later, and live their life without having to think about their work, then you might be able to deal with it.

However, most law students are pretty self-motivated, and went to law school because they want to get into their jobs and profession. The SSA job is not a great fit for most law students.

On the other hand, I've never done med-mal or ID type stuff, so I can't really speak to how med-mal / ID compares with rote case adjudication of SSA claims. My feeling is that med-mal and ID work is more interesting.

I did manage to get a job (also 'quasi-legal' in nature) at another fed agency after the SSA job, and I actually enjoy my current job. But I had to make some sacrifices when leaving SSA (e.g. lost a year of fed gov seniority, longer commute). Furthermore, I think most SSA people find it difficult to leave SSA without having to give up a substantial portion of their salary, and as the years go one you are more and more pigeon holed into disability work. In that way, it's sort of like doc review.

If your choice was between SSA and working for a solo doing plaintiff's PI, then maybe I'd say SSA would be an okay choice. However, in my mind med-mal and ID work is a step above the stereotypical 'poop law' that seems to drive people crazy.

And you do tend to max out at $100K at SSA. It takes most people about 4-5 years at SSA to hit the 100K mark. However, many do not make the next jump to 110K or so, and those who do are at least 7 years in. And yes, you can do OT, but the work is so mind numbing, I found it very difficult to do more than 5 hours a week or so of OT.

I'd take my chances with the med-mal / ID work. I have heard it can sometimes get interesting, and ID cases can vary substantially, assuming the firm doesn't only do a single type of ID work. For example, higher level ID work can deal with choice of law, subrogation, governmental sovereignty law, appellate work, etc. Med mal will deal with a range of evidentiary rules, expert witnesses, discovery motions etc. Both areas at the higher levels will deal will deal with a range of tort law, and have a chance for trial work.

I remember I interviewed once with a 'boutique' ID firm that did a lot of apellate work, and their 'representative cases' were pretty interesting.

Adjudicating 1.5 cases per day at SSA will make a motivated person have many "Is this really it?" moments.

At least in litigation a motivated person can get past these "Is this really it?" moements by getting caught up the details of their various cases.

Finally, the SSA type jobs will always be there for burned-out attorneys. The opposite is less true I think.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:09 pm

Have a job interview today. Nervous as fuck. Trying to remind myself I've got months to get out of the vale and I need to relax a little so I don't blow it. Ill let y'all know how it goes later today.

Supposedly they get back to you within a week. So we'll see.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:42 pm

spleenworship wrote:Have a job interview today. Nervous as fuck. Trying to remind myself I've got months to get out of the vale and I need to relax a little so I don't blow it. Ill let y'all know how it goes later today.

Spleen, here's how you can calm your nerves: Look into the mirror and remind yourself that you workout everyday.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:35 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Have a job interview today. Nervous as fuck. Trying to remind myself I've got months to get out of the vale and I need to relax a little so I don't blow it. Ill let y'all know how it goes later today.

Spleen, here's how you can calm your nerves: Look into the mirror and remind yourself that you workout everyday.

:D :D :D

Good luck Spleen!

Edit: It just dawned on me how weird your name is. If you feel like explaining, I'm curious.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:38 pm

It is a long story that is both random and boring.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:29 pm

Interview went well, I think.

Of course, I usually think that, so I'm just going to wait and hope for the best.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:41 pm

spleenworship wrote:Interview went well, I think.

Of course, I usually think that, so I'm just going to wait and hope for the best.

Glad it went well. Hope you get some time to relax and enjoy the rest of 3L and whatever activities you have planned.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:44 pm

cinephile wrote:

Glad it went well. Hope you get some time to relax and enjoy the rest of 3L and whatever activities you have planned.

This bro, glad it went well

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:59 pm

Exactly, I am sure you did great!

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:24 pm

got a call for an interview at one of my top choice offices yesterday...one that I am told typically waits for bar results and rarely interviews 3L's (so good sig). she legit wanted it to be today at 1030. I usually put all I got into interview prep (lke 5-8 hours, much of which is with a practice partner), so I told her I couldn't make that time and asked if I could do it later in the week or next week. she [seemingly temporarily forgetting i was a 3L] said oh wait a second...you're a 3L. you wouldn't start until after bar results anyway...how about you just touch base with me after you finish finals.

did I mess something up, or am I still in good shape? I just thought the whole convo was weird. it's like ONE time THE NEXT DAY, or we wait for a month?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:38 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:got a call for an interview at one of my top choice offices yesterday...one that I am told typically waits for bar results and rarely interviews 3L's (so good sig). she legit wanted it to be today at 1030. I usually put all I got into interview prep (lke 5-8 hours, much of which is with a practice partner), so I told her I couldn't make that time and asked if I could do it later in the week or next week. she [seemingly temporarily forgetting i was a 3L] said oh wait a second...you're a 3L. you wouldn't start until after bar results anyway...how about you just touch base with me after you finish finals.

did I mess something up, or am I still in good shape? I just thought the whole convo was weird. it's like ONE time THE NEXT DAY, or we wait for a month?

I wouldn't think too much about it

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:40 pm

The wait for a response is fucking brutal. I have had apps out for three or four months at some places and just recently got called in for an interview for one and rejected from another. What the fuck are these government offices doing with their time that they can't fill a position in a timely manner?

I think I'm gonna start sending in resumes to private firms and prosecution offices in case nothing pans out in PHASE ONE. The vale is truly a stressful place to be, filled with nightmares of my parent's basement.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:42 pm

rad lulz wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:got a call for an interview at one of my top choice offices yesterday...one that I am told typically waits for bar results and rarely interviews 3L's (so good sig). she legit wanted it to be today at 1030. I usually put all I got into interview prep (lke 5-8 hours, much of which is with a practice partner), so I told her I couldn't make that time and asked if I could do it later in the week or next week. she [seemingly temporarily forgetting i was a 3L] said oh wait a second...you're a 3L. you wouldn't start until after bar results anyway...how about you just touch base with me after you finish finals.

I wouldn't think too much about it

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:43 pm

Kronk wrote:The wait for a response is fucking brutal. I have had apps out for three or four months at some places and just recently got called in for an interview for one and rejected from another. What the fuck are these government offices doing with their time that they can't fill a position in a timely manner?

I think I'm gonna start sending in resumes to private firms and prosecution offices in case nothing pans out in PHASE ONE. The vale is truly a stressful place to be, filled with nightmares of my parent's basement.

Fucking preach brother.

Bro fist. Now beer yourself and it'll be better tomorrow.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:44 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:46 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Kronk wrote:The wait for a response is fucking brutal. I have had apps out for three or four months at some places and just recently got called in for an interview for one and rejected from another. What the fuck are these government offices doing with their time that they can't fill a position in a timely manner?

Govt is lazy and inefficient

Great place to work

Agreed. I would be ecstatic of one of them worked out.

Although the DAs in the prosecution office I was clerking at while awaiting bar results worked like 50+ hrs a week. During trials like 80.

Return to “Legal Employment”