The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
spleenworship

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:43 pm

I realize you are trying to be helpful sparty, but that came off like an ass.

presh

Postby presh » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:46 pm

IDK if anyone in here has a tax LLM, but Chief Counsel has an opening in DC.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/366780000

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:12 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:Might have something awesome in the pipeline. Too nervous of jinxing it to be specific but I REALLY want this one to work out.

We're gonna make it. A while back, I interviewed at a buddy of mine's firm. Got a callback and didn't get the job. Why? I was too timid in the final interview. I really wanted the jerb, and I was so afraid of fucking it up.

I fucked it up because I wasn't myself anymore. In the screener interview, the partner I would be directly responsible to loved me. By the callback, I tried to do too much and was so afraid of looking bad that I actually looked like a timid moron who was too afraid to speak.

My buddy gave me some advice. He said my advantage to a job right now was that I was broken down. That I did doubt myself, but that I'm willing to go on. There's something to be said about someone who can still stand after 9 rounds of punishment. People like fighters.

The more you are unemployed, the more employers will wonder why you are unemployed. They won't see you as a fighter, but rather, will wonder why you are unemployed. While legal employers will be more forgiving because the market is not robust, all in all, employers won't see you as a fighter. I would not look at being jobless and "broken down" as an advantage. Doubting yourself is not helpful. When one door closes, another one opens should be your mindset.

The more you post dickish replies, the more people will wonder why you are a dick. They won't see you as helpful, but rather, will wonder why you are being a dick yet again. While someone (your mom, maybe?) will be more forgiving because your social aptitude is not robust, all in all, people won't see you as helpful. I would not look at being a dick and "talking shit out of my ass" as an advantage. Being a dick is not helpful. When one door closes, you should probably open the other door and GTFO.

HTH.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:33 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:Might have something awesome in the pipeline. Too nervous of jinxing it to be specific but I REALLY want this one to work out.

We're gonna make it. A while back, I interviewed at a buddy of mine's firm. Got a callback and didn't get the job. Why? I was too timid in the final interview. I really wanted the jerb, and I was so afraid of fucking it up.

I fucked it up because I wasn't myself anymore. In the screener interview, the partner I would be directly responsible to loved me. By the callback, I tried to do too much and was so afraid of looking bad that I actually looked like a timid moron who was too afraid to speak.

My buddy gave me some advice. He said my advantage to a job right now was that I was broken down. That I did doubt myself, but that I'm willing to go on. There's something to be said about someone who can still stand after 9 rounds of punishment. People like fighters.

When I finally started getting interviews that panned out, it was because I said "fuck it" and stopped trying to tell people what I thought they wanted to hear. I just started making jokes and reverting back to being in sales, and it worked out much better. There's that certain point when you realize that pandering isn't working, and you just give up on trying to do all the random interview tips and just chill. I thin that's when you start having success.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:37 pm

Remind me why you're qualified to give advice, Sparty?

Kalvano, true. That's what my buddy was really getting at.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:40 pm

Also, forgot to say it, but best of luck to all y'all, Bike and Spleen and Pretzel. You're all going to make kick-ass lawyers.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:53 pm

kalvano wrote:Also, forgot to say it, but best of luck to all y'all, Bike and Spleen and Pretzel. You're all going to make kick-ass lawyers.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:03 am

Wish I'd hit "whatever, fuck it" sooner, but hell, I got it now. So ima make it work for me the next few weeks with any luck.

Thanks for the confidence guys. It's really helping me get through this.

Also, applied to ten jobs in the last three days. Have three more to do before I give up and focus on the end of the semester, but I'm not doing them tonight. Gonna Bob's Burgers and get some of that sleep thingy I hear so much about.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:20 am

Lawst wrote:
sparty99 wrote:The more you are unemployed, the more employers will wonder why you are unemployed. They won't see you as a fighter, but rather, will wonder why you are unemployed. While legal employers will be more forgiving because the market is not robust, all in all, employers won't see you as a fighter. I would not look at being jobless and "broken down" as an advantage. Doubting yourself is not helpful. When one door closes, another one opens should be your mindset.

The more you post dickish replies, the more people will wonder why you are a dick. They won't see you as helpful, but rather, will wonder why you are being a dick yet again. While someone (your mom, maybe?) will be more forgiving because your social aptitude is not robust, all in all, people won't see you as helpful. I would not look at being a dick and "talking shit out of my ass" as an advantage. Being a dick is not helpful. When one door closes, you should probably open the other door and GTFO.

HTH.

Well played, good sir (or madam?)

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:30 am

Have had two rural PD offices call up and offer temp work, but tell me straight up they don't think they'll have attorney openings in the fall.

It's like being asked out to prom by super hot chicks who have taken public vows of chastity.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:34 am

kalvano wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:

When I finally started getting interviews that panned out, it was because I said "fuck it" and stopped trying to tell people what I thought they wanted to hear. I just started making jokes and reverting back to being in sales, and it worked out much better. There's that certain point when you realize that pandering isn't working, and you just give up on trying to do all the random interview tips and just chill. I thin that's when you start having success.

Exactly same thing happened to me. I became desperate and didn't let certain things cloud my judgment. As my SO says, I just made myself my position now by basically saying, no, you are hiring, interview me, hire me. And i am not that person at all. Things like that scare me but I guess I am not the only one that is effective for.

Best of luck you guys, or rather, fuck it!

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:30 pm

spleenworship wrote:Have had two rural PD offices call up and offer temp work, but tell me straight up they don't think they'll have attorney openings in the fall.

It's like being asked out to prom by super hot chicks who have taken public vows of chastity.

I would absolutely take it if you don't have anything else though, bro. I know tons of people at local government offices and PD offices in particular that signed on for like a 6-month contract work position and then were immediately hired afterwards. If nothing else, if your work product is good and you are personable in the office you'll have a huge advantage over unknowns going into interviews. A law clerk I worked with at a local government office got hired full-time as a result of a contract like that, and I've told my boss there straight-up if he has any contract temp work I will do it without question. At the very least, it would give you prereqs for other jobs in the future that require 1 year minimum of practice or something. I think it's a good opportunity, dude.

I have a couple interviews coming up. Although the one I want seems like a longshot (had my first interview, where they informed me that there would be 3 rounds of interviews, they had 180 applicants, and they were hiring 4 people).

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:37 pm

Oh no, I told both of them that I needed a few weeks to see what other rural offices in their department said, but that I would take the temp work from them if there was no full time attorney spots available in their department in the state.

They were both totally cool with that answer and said they understood and looked forward to hearing from me in 2 weeks.

ETA: good luck on your interviews!

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:46 pm

spleenworship wrote:Oh no, I told both of them that I needed a few weeks to see what other rural offices in their department said, but that I would take the temp work from them if there was no full time attorney spots available in their department in the state.

They were both totally cool with that answer and said they understood and looked forward to hearing from me in 2 weeks.

Even though its not exactly what you wanted, its something! CONGRATS!!!

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:51 pm

spleenworship wrote:Oh no, I told both of them that I needed a few weeks to see what other rural offices in their department said, but that I would take the temp work from them if there was no full time attorney spots available in their department in the state.

Ah, gotcha. Cool dude, congrats.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:53 pm

spleenworship wrote:Have had two rural PD offices call up and offer temp work, but tell me straight up they don't think they'll have attorney openings in the fall.

And just like public vows of chastity, those offices may change their mind if you demonstrate your skills in the limited scope that you are allowed to perform :D

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:59 pm

chrisbru wrote:

And just like public vows of chastity, those offices may change their mind if you demonstrate your skills in the limited scope that you are allowed to perform :D

What base is filing a suppression motion?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:22 pm

spleenworship wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

What base is filing a suppression motion?

Seems to be second base to me. Which is touching boobs, actual skin, none of that under-the-shirt-but-over-the-bra bullshit. And anyone who disagrees can round them all on themselves.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:22 pm

Just got a fellowship offer. They pay is terrible, but it's exactly the kind of work I want to do in exactly where I want to do it. Nothing much, but it's a start.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a fellowship offer. They pay is terrible, but it's exactly the kind of work I want to do in exactly where I want to do it. Nothing much, but it's a start.

Congrats!!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:05 pm

Pleasantly surprised to be a Presidential Management Fellow Finalist. I might actually be employed now!

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Pleasantly surprised to be a Presidential Management Fellow Finalist. I might actually be employed now!

Very exciting!

And congrats to the anon with a fellowship!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:11 pm

I'm not sure how I am going to keep up appearances for upcoming. my fellowship/volunteer position was unceremoniously terminated, which at least gave me some sense of accomplishment regardless of how illusory, and just get rejections or no response, even for jobs I am well qualified for. I just had to reject an invitation to a friend's going away party b/c I can't stand the thought of being around former classmates who are all successful while I am the unemployed failure. Before I had a high w/ an uptick of interviews and doing interesting work at my volunteer position, now things have slowed down interview wise and have to search just to even find volunteer work for a day. Unless I do get a job soon, I feel like I have just set myself to become so hopeless soon that nothing will work, including taking another major state bar. I've been at this for god knows how long, w/ having a graduation over a year ago, and posting here occasionally, and hard to keep my hopes up.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:59 pm

Dude, anon, just know that your feelings are just feelings and not necessarily indicative of reality. If you keep running the race you'll get to the end eventually.

Also, if there is anything I can ever do to help you, PM me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:18 am

Hi, I am a 2013 Georgetown graduate. Struck out OCI, did five internships with some federal agencies and non-profit. Just finish my school's fellowship.

My goal was to work in feds, but no one is hiring now. Right now I just want to work in mid law that pays 80k~10K. How do I start the job search? I mean it seems pretty hard to find mid laws that are hiring and pays well to new graduates.

Return to “Legal Employment”