The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:43 pm

I realize you are trying to be helpful sparty, but that came off like an ass.

User avatar
presh
Posts: 8015
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:00 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby presh » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:46 pm

IDK if anyone in here has a tax LLM, but Chief Counsel has an opening in DC.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/366780000

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Lawst » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:12 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:Might have something awesome in the pipeline. Too nervous of jinxing it to be specific but I REALLY want this one to work out.


We're gonna make it. A while back, I interviewed at a buddy of mine's firm. Got a callback and didn't get the job. Why? I was too timid in the final interview. I really wanted the jerb, and I was so afraid of fucking it up.

I fucked it up because I wasn't myself anymore. In the screener interview, the partner I would be directly responsible to loved me. By the callback, I tried to do too much and was so afraid of looking bad that I actually looked like a timid moron who was too afraid to speak.

My buddy gave me some advice. He said my advantage to a job right now was that I was broken down. That I did doubt myself, but that I'm willing to go on. There's something to be said about someone who can still stand after 9 rounds of punishment. People like fighters.


The more you are unemployed, the more employers will wonder why you are unemployed. They won't see you as a fighter, but rather, will wonder why you are unemployed. While legal employers will be more forgiving because the market is not robust, all in all, employers won't see you as a fighter. I would not look at being jobless and "broken down" as an advantage. Doubting yourself is not helpful. When one door closes, another one opens should be your mindset.


The more you post dickish replies, the more people will wonder why you are a dick. They won't see you as helpful, but rather, will wonder why you are being a dick yet again. While someone (your mom, maybe?) will be more forgiving because your social aptitude is not robust, all in all, people won't see you as helpful. I would not look at being a dick and "talking shit out of my ass" as an advantage. Being a dick is not helpful. When one door closes, you should probably open the other door and GTFO.

HTH.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:33 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:Might have something awesome in the pipeline. Too nervous of jinxing it to be specific but I REALLY want this one to work out.


We're gonna make it. A while back, I interviewed at a buddy of mine's firm. Got a callback and didn't get the job. Why? I was too timid in the final interview. I really wanted the jerb, and I was so afraid of fucking it up.

I fucked it up because I wasn't myself anymore. In the screener interview, the partner I would be directly responsible to loved me. By the callback, I tried to do too much and was so afraid of looking bad that I actually looked like a timid moron who was too afraid to speak.

My buddy gave me some advice. He said my advantage to a job right now was that I was broken down. That I did doubt myself, but that I'm willing to go on. There's something to be said about someone who can still stand after 9 rounds of punishment. People like fighters.


When I finally started getting interviews that panned out, it was because I said "fuck it" and stopped trying to tell people what I thought they wanted to hear. I just started making jokes and reverting back to being in sales, and it worked out much better. There's that certain point when you realize that pandering isn't working, and you just give up on trying to do all the random interview tips and just chill. I thin that's when you start having success.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:37 pm

Remind me why you're qualified to give advice, Sparty?

Kalvano, true. That's what my buddy was really getting at.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:40 pm

Also, forgot to say it, but best of luck to all y'all, Bike and Spleen and Pretzel. You're all going to make kick-ass lawyers.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22879
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:53 pm

kalvano wrote:Also, forgot to say it, but best of luck to all y'all, Bike and Spleen and Pretzel. You're all going to make kick-ass lawyers.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:03 am

Wish I'd hit "whatever, fuck it" sooner, but hell, I got it now. So ima make it work for me the next few weeks with any luck.

Thanks for the confidence guys. It's really helping me get through this.

Also, applied to ten jobs in the last three days. Have three more to do before I give up and focus on the end of the semester, but I'm not doing them tonight. Gonna Bob's Burgers and get some of that sleep thingy I hear so much about.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:20 am

Lawst wrote:
sparty99 wrote:The more you are unemployed, the more employers will wonder why you are unemployed. They won't see you as a fighter, but rather, will wonder why you are unemployed. While legal employers will be more forgiving because the market is not robust, all in all, employers won't see you as a fighter. I would not look at being jobless and "broken down" as an advantage. Doubting yourself is not helpful. When one door closes, another one opens should be your mindset.


The more you post dickish replies, the more people will wonder why you are a dick. They won't see you as helpful, but rather, will wonder why you are being a dick yet again. While someone (your mom, maybe?) will be more forgiving because your social aptitude is not robust, all in all, people won't see you as helpful. I would not look at being a dick and "talking shit out of my ass" as an advantage. Being a dick is not helpful. When one door closes, you should probably open the other door and GTFO.

HTH.


Well played, good sir (or madam?)

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:30 am

Have had two rural PD offices call up and offer temp work, but tell me straight up they don't think they'll have attorney openings in the fall.


It's like being asked out to prom by super hot chicks who have taken public vows of chastity.

User avatar
horriblegb
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby horriblegb » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:34 am

kalvano wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:Might have something awesome in the pipeline. Too nervous of jinxing it to be specific but I REALLY want this one to work out.


We're gonna make it. A while back, I interviewed at a buddy of mine's firm. Got a callback and didn't get the job. Why? I was too timid in the final interview. I really wanted the jerb, and I was so afraid of fucking it up.

I fucked it up because I wasn't myself anymore. In the screener interview, the partner I would be directly responsible to loved me. By the callback, I tried to do too much and was so afraid of looking bad that I actually looked like a timid moron who was too afraid to speak.

My buddy gave me some advice. He said my advantage to a job right now was that I was broken down. That I did doubt myself, but that I'm willing to go on. There's something to be said about someone who can still stand after 9 rounds of punishment. People like fighters.


When I finally started getting interviews that panned out, it was because I said "fuck it" and stopped trying to tell people what I thought they wanted to hear. I just started making jokes and reverting back to being in sales, and it worked out much better. There's that certain point when you realize that pandering isn't working, and you just give up on trying to do all the random interview tips and just chill. I thin that's when you start having success.


Exactly same thing happened to me. I became desperate and didn't let certain things cloud my judgment. As my SO says, I just made myself my position now by basically saying, no, you are hiring, interview me, hire me. And i am not that person at all. Things like that scare me but I guess I am not the only one that is effective for.

Best of luck you guys, or rather, fuck it!

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28260
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Kronk » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:30 pm

spleenworship wrote:Have had two rural PD offices call up and offer temp work, but tell me straight up they don't think they'll have attorney openings in the fall.


It's like being asked out to prom by super hot chicks who have taken public vows of chastity.



I would absolutely take it if you don't have anything else though, bro. I know tons of people at local government offices and PD offices in particular that signed on for like a 6-month contract work position and then were immediately hired afterwards. If nothing else, if your work product is good and you are personable in the office you'll have a huge advantage over unknowns going into interviews. A law clerk I worked with at a local government office got hired full-time as a result of a contract like that, and I've told my boss there straight-up if he has any contract temp work I will do it without question. At the very least, it would give you prereqs for other jobs in the future that require 1 year minimum of practice or something. I think it's a good opportunity, dude.

I have a couple interviews coming up. Although the one I want seems like a longshot (had my first interview, where they informed me that there would be 3 rounds of interviews, they had 180 applicants, and they were hiring 4 people).

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:37 pm

Oh no, I told both of them that I needed a few weeks to see what other rural offices in their department said, but that I would take the temp work from them if there was no full time attorney spots available in their department in the state.


They were both totally cool with that answer and said they understood and looked forward to hearing from me in 2 weeks.


ETA: good luck on your interviews!

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby northwood » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:46 pm

spleenworship wrote:Oh no, I told both of them that I needed a few weeks to see what other rural offices in their department said, but that I would take the temp work from them if there was no full time attorney spots available in their department in the state.


They were both totally cool with that answer and said they understood and looked forward to hearing from me in 2 weeks.


ETA: good luck on your interviews!



Even though its not exactly what you wanted, its something! CONGRATS!!!

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28260
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Kronk » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:51 pm

spleenworship wrote:Oh no, I told both of them that I needed a few weeks to see what other rural offices in their department said, but that I would take the temp work from them if there was no full time attorney spots available in their department in the state.


They were both totally cool with that answer and said they understood and looked forward to hearing from me in 2 weeks.


ETA: good luck on your interviews!



Ah, gotcha. Cool dude, congrats.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:53 pm

spleenworship wrote:Have had two rural PD offices call up and offer temp work, but tell me straight up they don't think they'll have attorney openings in the fall.


It's like being asked out to prom by super hot chicks who have taken public vows of chastity.


And just like public vows of chastity, those offices may change their mind if you demonstrate your skills in the limited scope that you are allowed to perform :D

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:59 pm

chrisbru wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Have had two rural PD offices call up and offer temp work, but tell me straight up they don't think they'll have attorney openings in the fall.


It's like being asked out to prom by super hot chicks who have taken public vows of chastity.


And just like public vows of chastity, those offices may change their mind if you demonstrate your skills in the limited scope that you are allowed to perform :D


What base is filing a suppression motion?

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:22 pm

spleenworship wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Have had two rural PD offices call up and offer temp work, but tell me straight up they don't think they'll have attorney openings in the fall.


It's like being asked out to prom by super hot chicks who have taken public vows of chastity.


And just like public vows of chastity, those offices may change their mind if you demonstrate your skills in the limited scope that you are allowed to perform :D


What base is filing a suppression motion?


Seems to be second base to me. Which is touching boobs, actual skin, none of that under-the-shirt-but-over-the-bra bullshit. And anyone who disagrees can round them all on themselves.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273534
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:22 pm

Just got a fellowship offer. They pay is terrible, but it's exactly the kind of work I want to do in exactly where I want to do it. Nothing much, but it's a start.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a fellowship offer. They pay is terrible, but it's exactly the kind of work I want to do in exactly where I want to do it. Nothing much, but it's a start.


Congrats!!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273534
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:05 pm

Pleasantly surprised to be a Presidential Management Fellow Finalist. I might actually be employed now!

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby cinephile » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Pleasantly surprised to be a Presidential Management Fellow Finalist. I might actually be employed now!


Very exciting!

And congrats to the anon with a fellowship!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273534
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:11 pm

I'm not sure how I am going to keep up appearances for upcoming. my fellowship/volunteer position was unceremoniously terminated, which at least gave me some sense of accomplishment regardless of how illusory, and just get rejections or no response, even for jobs I am well qualified for. I just had to reject an invitation to a friend's going away party b/c I can't stand the thought of being around former classmates who are all successful while I am the unemployed failure. Before I had a high w/ an uptick of interviews and doing interesting work at my volunteer position, now things have slowed down interview wise and have to search just to even find volunteer work for a day. Unless I do get a job soon, I feel like I have just set myself to become so hopeless soon that nothing will work, including taking another major state bar. I've been at this for god knows how long, w/ having a graduation over a year ago, and posting here occasionally, and hard to keep my hopes up.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:59 pm

Dude, anon, just know that your feelings are just feelings and not necessarily indicative of reality. If you keep running the race you'll get to the end eventually.

Also, if there is anything I can ever do to help you, PM me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273534
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:18 am

Hi, I am a 2013 Georgetown graduate. Struck out OCI, did five internships with some federal agencies and non-profit. Just finish my school's fellowship.

My goal was to work in feds, but no one is hiring now. Right now I just want to work in mid law that pays 80k~10K. How do I start the job search? I mean it seems pretty hard to find mid laws that are hiring and pays well to new graduates.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.