The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rad lulz

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:47 pm

Jessuf wrote:Congrats, JD!

Also Spleen, I don't think that's a big deal. PD offices aren't like civil practice firms. They love ppl with passion. Most of the interest I've gotten in CA was through doing just that. Too bad none of them hire pre bar.

Agree on both points

Grats Jd!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:54 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
cinephile wrote:
spleenworship wrote:CONGRATS JEN!!!!

Congrats!

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:11 pm

what are thoughts on emailing a midlaw employer you saw posting on somebody else's CSO portal? is it relevant that I go to a t30 and he goes to a TTTT?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:30 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:what are thoughts on emailing a midlaw employer you saw posting on somebody else's CSO portal? is it relevant that I go to a t30 and he goes to a TTTT?

IMO, applying for any job you want that you saw posted anywhere is TCR.

I'm applying for a job on the east coast and another in Colorado tonight. Last night I applied for a job in TX. And I applied for three jobs in my home state in the past 24 hours.

ETA: Wait, are you saying this is your buddy's job, that he is applying for, and you are also wanting to know if you should apply for it? Hmmm.... how much do you like this person? Are they likely to get the job anyway? How bad off are they? How screwed are you? I think we need more details.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:36 pm

spleenworship wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:what are thoughts on emailing a midlaw employer you saw posting on somebody else's CSO portal? is it relevant that I go to a t30 and he goes to a TTTT?

I'm applying for a job on the east coast and another in Colorado tonight. Last night I applied for a job in TX. And I applied for three jobs in my home state in the past 24 hours.

ETA: Wait, are you saying this is your buddy's job, that he is applying for, and you are also wanting to know if you should apply for it? Hmmm.... how much do you like this person? Are they likely to get the job anyway? How bad off are they? How screwed are you? I think we need more details.

no I just meant is the employer gonna be like ummm this wasnt in your school's portal--what are you doing applying? buddy is a 2L

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:41 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

no I just meant is the employer gonna be like ummm this wasnt in your school's portal--what are you doing applying? buddy is a 2L

And? Not seeing the problem here. Worst case they don't interview/hire you, which is literally the same scenario as if you don't apply.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:44 pm

LeDique wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

And? Not seeing the problem here. Worst case they don't interview/hire you, which is literally the same scenario as if you don't apply.

the vale is wise

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:23 am

spleenworship wrote:
spleenworship wrote:So.... I sent emails to four of the seven rural PD offices' head attorneys (who theoretically already have my application) telling them about my ties to their area and my willingness to relocate. I included another copy of my resume and an offer to send them writing samples, references, etc.

So... just real quick guys... my self confidence is fucking shot. I'm just constantly second guessing myself. Was sending these emails a good idea or a mistake in your opinion?

Dude. Just chill out and relax. Everyone knows the legal market is garbage. You need to take a week off and do no legal stuff, you are getting all worked up for nothing. Also, stop focusing solely on PD.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:25 am

You have two options: don't apply and be unemployed. apply and possibly be employed. There really isn't a debate.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:27 am

sparty99 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
spleenworship wrote:So.... I sent emails to four of the seven rural PD offices' head attorneys (who theoretically already have my application) telling them about my ties to their area and my willingness to relocate. I included another copy of my resume and an offer to send them writing samples, references, etc.

So... just real quick guys... my self confidence is fucking shot. I'm just constantly second guessing myself. Was sending these emails a good idea or a mistake in your opinion?

Dude. Just chill out and relax. Everyone knows the legal market is garbage. You need to take a week off and do no legal stuff, you are getting all worked up for nothing. Also, stop focusing solely on PD.

My God sparty, are we having a day where you aren't being a jerk?

This is good advice. Except the week off part, since I still have school and my law clerk job.

And, you are right, I am no longer entirely PD focused. I have also applied for an Admin law job, a private crim def job, a DA job, a medicaid related job, a plaintiff's firm, and a civil rights firm.

I'm just bombarding everyone. I'm actually even starting to feel productive.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:27 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:no I just meant is the employer gonna be like ummm this wasnt in your school's portal--what are you doing applying? buddy is a 2L

There's an easy workaround... Say in your cover letter that a friend of yours at X school saw the posting, and forwarded it to you because he/she thought it was a great fit for your skills and interests.

Alternatively, you could say something like this as long as its somewhat true... This is what I used when the TTT in the city I wanted to be in let me have access to their Symplicity, mostly because they asked me to put this:

"I learned about this opportunity through a reciprocal agreement between University of X and X University Law Schools."

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:51 pm

I don't think saying how you found the ad matters too much, unless the ad says "Only students of XYZ School of Law are being considered." That said, many of the wants on my state's bar page are also posted verbatim on the local law school's websites.

I only mention how I found the ad whenever a mutual acquaintance tells to directly to apply. Saying "Attorney X at your firm encouraged me to apply" goes a long way in a cover letter.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:23 pm

I really don't think anyone cares how you found the job offer. I often find it odd when people spend time in a cover letter to talk about that instead of anything useful.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:52 pm

worldtraveler wrote:I really don't think anyone cares how you found the job offer. I often find it odd when people spend time in a cover letter to talk about that instead of anything useful.

This

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:56 pm

worldtraveler wrote:I really don't think anyone cares how you found the job offer. I often find it odd when people spend time in a cover letter to talk about that instead of anything useful.

I think it depends what you're communicating with that. If you're literally just communicating how you found the offer, yeah, don't bother. But if you're communicating connections to that attorney, something that might show unique interest in the area, etc., it's not weird. Like it's very different what was proposed in this thread vs saying something like "[Your friend] who I previously worked for thought this would be a great opportunity for me"

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:52 pm

Another interview next week. P/T with a solo who does something I want to do and is willing to mentor.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:29 pm

Might have something awesome in the pipeline. Too nervous of jinxing it to be specific but I REALLY want this one to work out.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Might have something awesome in the pipeline. Too nervous of jinxing it to be specific but I REALLY want this one to work out.

We're gonna make it. A while back, I interviewed at a buddy of mine's firm. Got a callback and didn't get the job. Why? I was too timid in the final interview. I really wanted the jerb, and I was so afraid of fucking it up.

I fucked it up because I wasn't myself anymore. In the screener interview, the partner I would be directly responsible to loved me. By the callback, I tried to do too much and was so afraid of looking bad that I actually looked like a timid moron who was too afraid to speak.

My buddy gave me some advice. He said my advantage to a job right now was that I was broken down. That I did doubt myself, but that I'm willing to go on. There's something to be said about someone who can still stand after 9 rounds of punishment. People like fighters.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:22 pm

LeDique wrote:

I think it depends what you're communicating with that. If you're literally just communicating how you found the offer, yeah, don't bother. But if you're communicating connections to that attorney, something that might show unique interest in the area, etc., it's not weird. Like it's very different what was proposed in this thread vs saying something like "[Your friend] who I previously worked for thought this would be a great opportunity for me"

yeah i just took all of your advice and just said fuck it and applied. nothing about how i found out about the job in the cover letter. it's not what i want to do, but i feel good applying while I am waiting for the time to pass with respect to the processes that I am more interested in.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:42 pm

Good luck to Bike and Pretzel!

In similar news, one of the 10 job apps has given me an interview. It's reasonably court heavy (though not PD/DA level court heavy), is public interest and has meaningful work, pays decent, and will offer me pre-bar. And I wouldn't have to move. So.... Fingers crossed here too.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:44 pm

spleenworship wrote:Good luck to Bike and Pretzel!

In similar news, one of the 10 job apps has given me an interview. It's reasonably court heavy (though not PD/DA level court heavy), is public interest and has meaningful work, pays decent, and will offer me pre-bar. And I wouldn't have to move. So.... Fingers crossed here too.

best of luck, man. out of curiosity, what kind of job is it?

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:20 pm

spleenworship wrote:Good luck to Bike and Pretzel!

Good luck Spleen, Bike, & Pretz. Everything in law school (maybe even before) has been leading up to this, and you're all gonna rock it.

jtx86

Postby jtx86 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:27 pm

hey everyone - what websites do you guys use to find legal jobs? I use craigslist, idealist, intercollegiate job bank, and my school's Symplicity. Recommendations are much appreciated.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:30 pm

State government HR/Job/Personnell websites. USAJobs.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:Might have something awesome in the pipeline. Too nervous of jinxing it to be specific but I REALLY want this one to work out.

We're gonna make it. A while back, I interviewed at a buddy of mine's firm. Got a callback and didn't get the job. Why? I was too timid in the final interview. I really wanted the jerb, and I was so afraid of fucking it up.

I fucked it up because I wasn't myself anymore. In the screener interview, the partner I would be directly responsible to loved me. By the callback, I tried to do too much and was so afraid of looking bad that I actually looked like a timid moron who was too afraid to speak.

My buddy gave me some advice. He said my advantage to a job right now was that I was broken down. That I did doubt myself, but that I'm willing to go on. There's something to be said about someone who can still stand after 9 rounds of punishment. People like fighters.

The more you are unemployed, the more employers will wonder why you are unemployed. They won't see you as a fighter, but rather, will wonder why you are unemployed. While legal employers will be more forgiving because the market is not robust, all in all, employers won't see you as a fighter. I would not look at being jobless and "broken down" as an advantage. Doubting yourself is not helpful. When one door closes, another one opens should be your mindset.

Return to “Legal Employment”