The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sparty99

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby sparty99 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:32 pm

If you are still trippin over a job that you didn't get or a summer offer that didn't come through, it is time to move-on.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:34 pm

sparty99 wrote:If you are still trippin over a job that you didn't get or a summer offer that didn't come through, it is time to move-on.

I say this as a mod: you need to chill the fuck out ITT.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:54 pm

sparty99 wrote:If you are still trippin over a job that you didn't get or a summer offer that didn't come through, it is time to move-on.

Just LOL bro. Wow.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:22 pm

Are you a 3L or have you graduated law school?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:31 pm

JenDarby wrote:

Are you a 3L or have you graduated law school?

Sparty is a 3L Valer, who apparently likes to kick people who are already down :? .

Also, job posting for those barred in PA. GL!:
Northwestern Legal Services is seeking qualified applicants for a full or part-time Attorney position in its Warren Office. Caseload includes public benefits, family law, housing and other areas of poverty law. Travel required. Must be admitted to practice law in PA or be eligible for reciprocity. Salary with 0-5 yrs. experience is $35-$40K. Fringe benefits. Possible loan repayment assistance. EEO Employer.

Send detailed resume and cover letter to:

Administrative Asst.
Northwestern Legal Services
1001 State St., Suite 700
Erie, PA 16501
No Phone Calls Please

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:32 pm

bk1 wrote:

I don't get how you guys haven't banned him yet.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:33 pm

I hope you never get hired.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:51 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:Officially on the radar of two different recruiters/placement agencies and I've had a couple decent networking contacts in the past week...

Geesh I hope one of these turns into something legitimate.

I hope so too pretz

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got axed from a New York DA office where I had a last round interview. Now what? Shit

Sucks. Sorry to hear.

Just keep trying. That's what I'm up to today. Applied to a new job already, even though I'm pretty sure nothing will come of it. YOLO. :lol:

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:54 pm

Also, sorry for being all melodramatic yesterday. I was just having a moment or twelve.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:02 pm

spleenworship wrote:Also, sorry for being all melodramatic yesterday. I was just having a moment or twelve.

Completely understandable. I had a near meltdown offline when my last good shot at a pre-bar offer bit the dust about a week ago. It's a natural reaction when we've all been going through this long process and holding out hope that it will work out. We freak out and then regroup and start again.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:38 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:38 pm

El Pollito wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I don't get how you guys haven't banned him yet.

Yes

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:54 pm

spleenworship wrote:Also, sorry for being all melodramatic yesterday. I was just having a moment or twelve.

Let it out man. It's better to vent.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:03 pm

worldtraveler wrote:

Let it out man. It's better to vent.

Don't hold on to the feelings. Get them out and try to move past them as best you can.

Bullshit like this is 1% helpful and 99% prickish. You don't think we all know that it's not productive to dwell on this shit but human nature promotes such dwelling at times?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:50 pm

Super dumb question but has anyone had success applying to jobs as a 3L that require 1-3 years experience?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:54 pm

I don't remember where everyone here is located / barred, but if anyone is in, near, or wiling to move to Texas, PM me and I'll pass on some job postings. More than a few for entry level on Symplicity, and I'd love to see some of you guys (and girls) maybe get them.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Super dumb question but has anyone had success applying to jobs as a 3L that require 1-3 years experience?

I know some who have. I wouldn't apply to anything asking for over 3 years, but anything up to is fair game for entry level.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:47 am

kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Super dumb question but has anyone had success applying to jobs as a 3L that require 1-3 years experience?

I know some who have. I wouldn't apply to anything asking for over 3 years, but anything up to is fair game for entry level.

I know people who have also. But it involved some networking too. I also heard to look for where the posts say "bar membership preferred"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:10 am

And in addition to worrying about which cardboard box I'm going to be living in after graduation, I have to worry about exams and trying to get my (abysmal) grades up just a little more. Waking up to this FB status did not help:

"Since it's already been announced to everyone, I can finally say it: I have the highest GPA in our class."

Might be one of the douchiest status I've seen all year. I know exactly what she means by "already announced to everyone" and it was definitely not "everyone." She just wanted an excuse to brag. At least it's better than the humble bragging: "Looks like someone might actually think I'm okay at this law school thing, I won XYZ award ABC award and was offered a job at *awesome firm.* No idea how I got so lucky.#blessed"

I may have to get off FB for awhile.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:And in addition to worrying about which cardboard box I'm going to be living in after graduation, I have to worry about exams and trying to get my (abysmal) grades up just a little more. Waking up to this FB status did not help:

"Since it's already been announced to everyone, I can finally say it: I have the highest GPA in our class."

Might be one of the douchiest status I've seen all year. I know exactly what she means by "already announced to everyone" and it was definitely not "everyone." She just wanted an excuse to brag. At least it's better than the humble bragging: "Looks like someone might actually think I'm okay at this law school thing, I won XYZ award ABC award and was offered a job at *awesome firm.* No idea how I got so lucky.#blessed"

Yeah there's no way around it, that person is a turd

OhScalia

Postby OhScalia » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:57 am

For those of you still without a job, if you haven't talked to the Dean of your school yet please do so. At least meet with your dean and asked if you can use him/ her as a reference.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:And in addition to worrying about which cardboard box I'm going to be living in after graduation, I have to worry about exams and trying to get my (abysmal) grades up just a little more. Waking up to this FB status did not help:

I think you should set that person on fire. What an ass.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:35 am

kalvano wrote:

I think you should set that person on fire. What an ass.

The more I read it the more incensed I become

play2win

Postby play2win » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:46 am

Besides jobs like FBI Special Agent, anyone know of any non-legal or not strictly legal type jobs where a JD would make you a competitive or even desirable candidate?

Return to “Legal Employment”