The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
spleenworship

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:58 pm

Local PDs office has filled their positions.

Now I have to hope for a 50% chance at a job out of town.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:05 pm

spleenworship wrote:Local PDs office has filled their positions.

ETA: in the past 3 months I have been rejected for 7 PD jobs now, and made myself ineligible for my dream job. I just want to cry.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:21 pm

Fuck Spleen. Hugs bro.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:02 pm

Sorry, spleen. :cry:

I knew it would be a fight, but I never expected the PD job search to be THIS hard. I wish I hadn't been so staunchly opposed to DA offices in the beginning because having a job would be way better than the vale.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:20 pm

Jessuf wrote:Sorry, spleen. :cry:

I knew it would be a fight, but I never expected the PD job search to be THIS hard. I wish I hadn't been so staunchly opposed to DA offices in the beginning because having a job would be way better than the vale.

Fuck the ABA and every law school in this country that increased class sizes in the past decade.

And fuck myself for thinking I was a special snowflake. Top 20%. Journal. As in trial ad, crim pro. Great recommendations. Applied nationally. Did clinics and externships that were relevant.

And now there's a huge chance I've wasted my life.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:37 pm

spleenworship wrote:

Fuck the ABA and every law school in this country that increased class sizes in the past decade.

And fuck myself for thinking I was a special snowflake. Top 20%. Journal. As in trial ad, crim pro. Great recommendations. Applied nationally. Did clinics and externships that were relevant.

Three years is nowhere close to your whole life. You'll find something you want, I believe in you.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:41 pm

chrisbru wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Three years is nowhere close to your whole life. You'll find something you want, I believe in you.

I cannot return to my previous job. License expired. I gave up a real job, with benefits and meaning to go to law school. I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:59 pm

Assholes on Facebook with jobs are all like "don't worry, you'll get a job."

Fuck everyone with a job except those who have experienced the vale.

Gefuehlsecht

Postby Gefuehlsecht » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:16 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Jessuf wrote:

Eh, only because you don't get a PD position right now it doesn't mean the opportunity is completely foreclosed. So don't go down that road.

May I ask why you have your heart set on PD work? I mean, I understand the whole 'believer' thing but besides that I don't know if pigeonholing yourself is a viable plan in this market. Anyways, hang in there and don't lose hope. Something will turn up eventually. I just don't know if it'll be PD work.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:24 pm

I will also happily take plaintiffs work or even family law. No jobs right now though.

Maybe there will be jobs later. I'm just freaking out because I have kids, a mortgage, and an unemployed spouse.

Gefuehlsecht

Postby Gefuehlsecht » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:31 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Maybe there will be jobs later. I'm just freaking out because I have kids, a mortgage, and an unemployed spouse.

I can imagine. Not trying to belittle your situation by any means. However, you need to keep your chin up. What's your location? Heartland somewhere?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:38 pm

Southwest.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:49 pm

spleenworship wrote:

ETA: in the past 3 months I have been rejected for 7 PD jobs now, and made myself ineligible for my dream job. I just want to cry.

I'm so sorry. I'm a 2013 grad, and I just started my job at a PD office recently. There were many months of unemployment where I doubted my ability to get a job and even my self worth. I also had good grades, good school, and the perfect PD resume. I applied nationally at all the typical places that hire pre bar, and I got rejected from everything. The local office I interned at during law school had openings but didn't hire me. I was devastated when I got passed over for that job. I decided to do a school sponsored fellowship and volunteer at a smaller local office while I waited for bar results. I felt like such a failure at that point. The wait, uncertainty, and constant rejection was hell. But it eventually paid off because I got the job that I wanted at a great office. I don't really have much in the way of advice other than don't give up because you never know what will end up working out. But feel free to PM me if you want to vent. I understand what you're going through.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:26 pm

spleenworship wrote:Assholes on Facebook with jobs are all like "don't worry, you'll get a job."

Fuck everyone with a job except those who have experienced the vale.

This bro

I'm sorry bro and I hope it turns around for you

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:31 pm

spleenworship wrote:

Long time lurker here. If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean made yourself ineligible for your dream job?

You seem determined and hard working, and employers will soon realize this. I am pulling for you spleen.

hous

Postby hous » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:56 pm

I believe in Spleen.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:58 pm

spleenworship wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

I cannot return to my previous job. License expired. I gave up a real job, with benefits and meaning to go to law school. I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Same here, including the seven PD rejections. Is there a panel or list you can get on for count-appointed counsel for those cases that are either conflict or overflow from the local PD? Obviously not the best solution, but something? Also, if your school doesn't have funding for temp jobs to tide you over until you get a permanent position, there should be some fellowships for which you could apply. Sorry this is happening to you, but you will find a way to do this.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Long time lurker here. If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean made yourself ineligible for your dream job?

I copped me some antidepressants, making the selection letter from the USAF just a painful piece of memorabilia.

hous wrote:I believe in Spleen.

This sounds vaguely like a religious affirmation to me. :lol:

Thanks though.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:34 am

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Long time lurker here. If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean made yourself ineligible for your dream job?

I copped me some antidepressants, making the selection letter from the USAF just a painful piece of memorabilia.

You made the right choice getting help, but you can't dwell on JAG. Every day I think about what could have been, I stop sending cover letters out for the day. My confidence falls, and I sulk in self-pity for hours. My advice, burn that letter.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:32 am

[quote="Bike,
Last edited by rad lulz on Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:54 pm

If you don't mind, what was your previous career Spleen? Just trying to see if there may be a way to relate that to a possible career path to look into. No worries if you don't want to go down that road though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:03 pm

Just got axed from a New York DA office where I had a last round interview. Now what? Shit

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:09 pm

Spleen - Your situation is totally shitty, and it's not your fault. Remember that everyday. Take a look around at all the great things life has given you like your family, friends, wife, children, experiences etc and appreciate them.

I'm a 2012 grad, and I've watched friends ride the doc review path before leaving law, struggle to find anything with less than $100 in their bank account, and celebrated as some narrowly escaped with their dream job right before graduating. 2 years later everyone is gainfully employed. It sucks to hear from friends on facebook and most of the time seems like advice that is anything but genuine (sometimes it is a cop out, true), but trust me - keep your options open and you will find something. The happiest of my friends now are the ones who were open to JD advantage jobs. Keep doing what you're doing, and you will find the right place.

Bottom line is you not having a job yet is not a reflection of your work ethic, capability, or you personally. Your family, friends, and experiences are who you are.

FWIW, when I was in the Vale it initially sapped me of my life and i was always apathetic. I made a conscious decision to stop being apathetic, so sometimes (20%) I'd lean on my girlfriend when I couldn't take the stress and pressure anymore and let it all off my chest, and other times (80%) I'd try really hard to forget about everything real and be silly with my gf (cook dinner together, remember and talk about a dumb story from dating early on). My advice is to play some games with your daughters, talk about some funny stories with your wife from your past, and rediscover the many aspects of life that have been kind to you.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:18 pm

Officially on the radar of two different recruiters/placement agencies and I've had a couple decent networking contacts in the past week...

Geesh I hope one of these turns into something legitimate.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:25 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Officially on the radar of two different recruiters/placement agencies and I've had a couple decent networking contacts in the past week...

Geesh I hope one of these turns into something legitimate.

I hope so too pretz

Return to “Legal Employment”