The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just received an offer from a firm in FL. I am officially out of the vale. Please don't despair friends, keep hustling.

Grats! Is it the type of job you wanted or is it something you are settling with for now?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just received an offer from a firm in FL. I am officially out of the vale. Please don't despair friends, keep hustling.

Grats! Is it the type of job you wanted or is it something you are settling with for now?

Absolutely want this job. It's one of the top firms in FL and I am absolutely thrilled!! Thank you

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:12 pm

Gratz!

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:13 pm

spleenworship wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:what are your guys' thoughts about accepting a job offer (permanent employment) for a job you don't love as a 3L, but continuing to apply for other things through the summer and fall while you are working there? is there any major risk in backing out post-offer-acceptance, but before you begin? what about a risk in only working a job for a few months before going to something you like better, and want to stay in for a while?

I mean, you are going to burn a bridge. You have to consider the consequences of that (especially if you are staying in that market) and weight that against getting the job you really want.

What about getting out of this hypothetical non-dream job before you even start? More than a month before you start? Do you think it would really still have serious bridge-burning consequences?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:30 pm

Grats anon!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:32 pm

any room here for a 2012 grad? just lost my job :(

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any room here for a 2012 grad? just lost my job :(

Welcome. The vale is for everyone who doesn't have 3+ years of experience, IMO.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:12 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:what are your guys' thoughts about accepting a job offer (permanent employment) for a job you don't love as a 3L, but continuing to apply for other things through the summer and fall while you are working there? is there any major risk in backing out post-offer-acceptance, but before you begin? what about a risk in only working a job for a few months before going to something you like better, and want to stay in for a while?

I mean, you are going to burn a bridge. You have to consider the consequences of that (especially if you are staying in that market) and weight that against getting the job you really want.

What about getting out of this hypothetical non-dream job before you even start? More than a month before you start? Do you think it would really still have serious bridge-burning consequences?

In that case no.

Bridge burning would be after starting IMO.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:21 pm

f
Last edited by rad lulz on Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:51 pm

Anon here: Thanks guys. Now I can start looking at all my loans. I am probably 180k in the red.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:08 pm

What happened :( care to talk about it?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:11 pm

spleenworship wrote:

Welcome. The vale is for everyone who doesn't have 3+ years of experience, IMO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:31 pm

horriblegb wrote:

i guess it's a combination of things. my firm sorta operates like an old boys' club and the one or two partners that should've been my mentors just didn't care to take me under their wing. i know i screwed some things up along the way, but i never felt like i was consistently terrible and i felt like the mistakes i made were within the realm of things that you're allowed to screw up as a first year (e.g. billing inefficiently, clerical errors, etc.). probably a combo of being ignored and being sub-average. i always felt like i could learn and improve if someone had just given me a chance; i just wish someone would've given it to me.

i've been working with a headhunter to try to lateral into another firm, but i've had no solid bites. i don't even know what the correct thing is to be doing at this point. i'm guessing i'm too far removed from law school to go back to my school's career services. are there certain websites/databases i should be searching?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:02 pm

Congrats 3:59!

what is everyone's response rate with informational interview requests? I find that I'm getting MUCH fewer responses in spring than I did in fall. I'm also only emailing Partner/Counsel/Senior Associates for the most part. Especially this past month, seriously few responses. I guess they know what it means when a 3L emails them in March and April.

MG95

Postby MG95 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:50 pm

Last edited by MG95 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats 3:59!

what is everyone's response rate with informational interview requests? I find that I'm getting MUCH fewer responses in spring than I did in fall. I'm also only emailing Partner/Counsel/Senior Associates for the most part. Especially this past month, seriously few responses. I guess they know what it means when a 3L emails them in March and April.

Anon at 3:59 here: I had much better response rate with alumni. Thank you and good luck!

anom1234

Postby anom1234 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:36 pm

M_n_M wrote:I had an interview with a federal agency today for a job I really really want. However, they are interviewing a ton of people, so I'm probably screwed.

mind sharing what agency or the region?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:38 pm

I hesitate to post here because I am no longer in the Vale and am immersed in a job I love, where I have a ton of responsibility and am rocking it hard. But until just under three months ago I was a '13 grad who was in the Vale in the worst way. It physically depressed me. I just wanted to share a few post-Vale thoughts:

-You really just have no job until you do. There is no controlling or predicting when it will happen. I felt super close to getting two great jobs in January. Both fell through but another one (the one I have now) came along right then. This lack of control and predictability isn't comforting but it is real.
-Once you do find a job, the Vale has after effects. Well, yes and no. I realized when I started my job, or am still realizing, that I AM a smart person who is going to be a great lawyer. I'm really good at my job, and the Vale had convinced me I would not be. I was not a bad attorney or person, I just didn't have a job. And my depression was about not having a job, because getting a job instantly made me feel energized and happy. BUT some of the self-doubt and anxiety from being in the Vale have lingered and impact my thinking in ways they did not before I went through the post-3L job search. The firm's name partner called me into her office to give me a raise. I thought (no joke) I was going in there to get yelled at or fired.
-Now that I have no free time, I wish I had used my unemployed time better. Gotten in shape, tried new things, whatever. You are going to find some job eventually and be working for the next 20-40 years depending on your age. Don't make this free time you have a punishment for not having found a job yet. Use it well if you possibly can. When I was sitting at home depressed and unemployed it felt impossible to do anything but job hunt, half-ass my contract work, and hate on myself, and I'm not sure I could have changed that. But I wish I could have. Find some projects around the house or train for a race or something, organize your shit, I don't know. I think if I could have mustered some discipline to make my own quality of life better, I would feel less regret about what were just about the most miserable 7 months of my life (May graduation to January job start). And there was a long list of things I wish I'd done with that free time the second I started my job, even practical shit like getting my car maintenanced or going through old clothes.

I'm not sure if any of that's helpful, but I'm thinking about everyone who is still struggling and wishing you the best.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:59 pm

M_n_M wrote:I had an interview with a federal agency today for a job I really really want. However, they are interviewing a ton of people, so I'm probably screwed.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:17 am

Clerkship interview offer out of state, to a state I've never been to. Travel expenses will not be reimbursed and the trip will cost me around 500. What should I do? Should I ask if they'll Skype? If they say no is there a tactful way to ask what my chances are if I make the trip?

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
horriblegb wrote:

i guess it's a combination of things. my firm sorta operates like an old boys' club and the one or two partners that should've been my mentors just didn't care to take me under their wing. i know i screwed some things up along the way, but i never felt like i was consistently terrible and i felt like the mistakes i made were within the realm of things that you're allowed to screw up as a first year (e.g. billing inefficiently, clerical errors, etc.). probably a combo of being ignored and being sub-average. i always felt like i could learn and improve if someone had just given me a chance; i just wish someone would've given it to me.

i've been working with a headhunter to try to lateral into another firm, but i've had no solid bites. i don't even know what the correct thing is to be doing at this point. i'm guessing i'm too far removed from law school to go back to my school's career services. are there certain websites/databases i should be searching?

Well try and keep your head up something will work out now, it is good that you have some experience at least. I am sure that is super frustrating to be unsure of all of those things. But we are all new and being sub average comes with the game, doesnt it? You are not alone here!

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Clerkship interview offer out of state, to a state I've never been to. Travel expenses will not be reimbursed and the trip will cost me around 500. What should I do? Should I ask if they'll Skype? If they say no is there a tactful way to ask what my chances are if I make the trip?

I would ask to skype.

But I also bet there is a TLSer you could crash with to help keep your costs down.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:50 am

worldtraveler wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Clerkship interview offer out of state, to a state I've never been to. Travel expenses will not be reimbursed and the trip will cost me around 500. What should I do? Should I ask if they'll Skype? If they say no is there a tactful way to ask what my chances are if I make the trip?

I would ask to skype.

But I also bet there is a TLSer you could crash with to help keep your costs down.

We should set up a couch crash thread for this. In both DC and Philly I was able to use a TLSer to not have to pay for a hotel. When I went to Miami though, I didn't know any tLSer enough to ask. A thread for people to ask and offer temporary lodging would be super useful.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:09 pm

Ask about Skyping, but unfortunately that's the way clerkship interviews roll. You have to suck it up and go into debt if you want the chance to clerk. (Not defending that, mind you.) I don't think there's a tactful way to ask about your chances, no (and even if you could, how would an answer really change your plans? They're not going to say you only have a slim chance - what degree of chance would be too little for you to spend the money?). If it's any consolation, most judges don't want to spend a lot of time interviewing, and so I doubt you're one of hordes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:58 pm

dumb question: how competitive/prestigious is a clerkship for the bigger district courts (e.g. sdny)? trying to figure out if i even have a shot.

Return to “Legal Employment”