The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jtx86

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jtx86 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:the last thing I effing need when I am mid-interview-process for the offices I have been gunning for and gradually gearing up for finals, cycling day-to-day between optimism, depression, and apathy (apathy because, when it comes down to it, I don't really have loans to think about due to an epic r e t a k e some years ago), and hustling my balls off (though I am gradually learning that networking at offices that I am already in the interview process at is not terribly helpful because I am already "in the door") is my JOURNAL EIC TELLING ME THAT MY FEBRUARY EDITS ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH AND I HAVE TO DO THEM AGAIN!

this journal is ungraded, is not LR, is unlikely to lead to a job because I already did not get the 3 judicial clerkships for which I interviewed, and I was so closed to telling him to S a D the other day that i literally had to bite by tongue/clench my teeth.

sorry for the gripe. carry on.

I completely sympathize with your frustration. Most journal work is a complete waste of time. After I got my note published I should have just quit the journal. There really isn't anything else to do after that...

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:00 pm

f
Last edited by rad lulz on Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:18 pm

My fellowship ended and now I'm back on the streets. Going to be desperately looking for volunteer work or whatever while I wait for lease to end. Have had a bunch of interviews as of late, but hard to get hopes up when things have been so difficult for so long. Feel so frustrated and pathetic, and my school hasn't even been responsive about helping me connect w/ some places to just volunteer or staff.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:02 pm

Your school's 9 month pump and dump is repulsive, anon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:51 am

So I've realized that mass mailing just doesn't work for me because I don't look good on paper (above median but outside top third, no journal, etc), and informational interviews go nowhere. And I have one month till I graduate. What I am thinking of doing is just cold calling alumni at firms. Has anyone cold-called firms with success? I mean calling alumni at the firm, not the firm's recruiting manager. Any tips for how to approach this? Needless to say the idea of just dialing a partner at a firm who went to my law school leaves me scared shitless.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I've realized that mass mailing just doesn't work for me because I don't look good on paper (above median but outside top third, no journal, etc), and informational interviews go nowhere. And I have one month till I graduate. What I am thinking of doing is just cold calling alumni at firms. Has anyone cold-called firms with success? I mean calling alumni at the firm, not the firm's recruiting manager. Any tips for how to approach this? Needless to say the idea of just dialing a partner at a firm who went to my law school leaves me scared shitless.

In my opinion, don't do this. If your resume doesn't pop, that's what your cover letter is for.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I've realized that mass mailing just doesn't work for me because I don't look good on paper (above median but outside top third, no journal, etc), and informational interviews go nowhere. And I have one month till I graduate. What I am thinking of doing is just cold calling alumni at firms. Has anyone cold-called firms with success? I mean calling alumni at the firm, not the firm's recruiting manager. Any tips for how to approach this? Needless to say the idea of just dialing a partner at a firm who went to my law school leaves me scared shitless.

I don't think you should do this, either. Cold-calling applying for a job is intrusive and puts people on the spot. (I have no idea if it's ever worked for anyone anywhere, but I wouldn't do it.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:39 am

Okay. Informational interview requests it is then. Goddamn my Symplicity for being dead.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:45 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I don't think you should do this, either. Cold-calling applying for a job is intrusive and puts people on the spot. (I have no idea if it's ever worked for anyone anywhere, but I wouldn't do it.)

Cold emailing is fine; cold calling is a terrible idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:53 am

I have an interview next week for my dream job (local area DA office, widely considered the best one in the area, people-wise). I want this so much. Graduate in less than a month. Wish me luck.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview next week for my dream job (local area DA office, widely considered the best one in the area, people-wise). I want this so much. Graduate in less than a month. Wish me luck.

gl

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:20 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview next week for my dream job (local area DA office, widely considered the best one in the area, people-wise). I want this so much. Graduate in less than a month. Wish me luck.

gl

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:52 pm

I have an interview at a midsized litigation firm today, and my resume and transcript SCREAM transactional. I am not even taking evidence. This is going to be rough. I'm actually genuinely surprised they are interviewing me.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:57 pm

Would you mind sharing what the region is?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview at a midsized litigation firm today, and my resume and transcript SCREAM transactional. I am not even taking evidence. This is going to be rough. I'm actually genuinely surprised they are interviewing me.

GL!

Be honest about who u are, but tell them ur willing to do lit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:17 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview at a midsized litigation firm today, and my resume and transcript SCREAM transactional. I am not even taking evidence. This is going to be rough. I'm actually genuinely surprised they are interviewing me.

GL!

Be honest about who u are, but tell them ur willing to do lit.

Thanks! My main fear is they will ask me about my 1L summer at a similar litigation firm. I remember barely anything from those 10 weeks at this point lol.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:37 pm

Anyone has any advice on where to take bar if unemployed. I am thinking of NY because it seems to have the most legal jobs and want to end up there. While jerbless however, I will probably be in my parent's state, which is close to NY but has a much smaller legal industry. Anyone has any opinions/advice about how to decide.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:54 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:

OP here. Pacific Northwest. Don't want to be more specific than that.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:

OP here. Pacific Northwest. Don't want to be more specific than that.

Cool. No worries. Appreciate it. Best of luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone has any advice on where to take bar if unemployed. I am thinking of NY because it seems to have the most legal jobs and want to end up there. While jerbless however, I will probably be in my parent's state, which is close to NY but has a much smaller legal industry. Anyone has any opinions/advice about how to decide.

I would say in whatever market you are focusing your job search on. Don't take the NY bar if you wont be able to commute to NY often from where you are staying to interview. Also, consider reciprocity.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:28 pm

what are your guys' thoughts about accepting a job offer (permanent employment) for a job you don't love as a 3L, but continuing to apply for other things through the summer and fall while you are working there? is there any major risk in backing out post-offer-acceptance, but before you begin? what about a risk in only working a job for a few months before going to something you like better, and want to stay in for a while?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:35 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:what are your guys' thoughts about accepting a job offer (permanent employment) for a job you don't love as a 3L, but continuing to apply for other things through the summer and fall while you are working there? is there any major risk in backing out post-offer-acceptance, but before you begin? what about a risk in only working a job for a few months before going to something you like better, and want to stay in for a while?

I think it's not an ideal situation - because you may look flakey having something on your resume for a short period of time, and obviously it's rude and may make you look bad to your employer/the people they know. That said, I think it's pretty much the reality in today's job market. Pretty much everyone I know took whatever job they could get, so that at least they can pay the bills, and are looking for new jobs that are more in line with what they want to do.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:40 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:what are your guys' thoughts about accepting a job offer (permanent employment) for a job you don't love as a 3L, but continuing to apply for other things through the summer and fall while you are working there? is there any major risk in backing out post-offer-acceptance, but before you begin? what about a risk in only working a job for a few months before going to something you like better, and want to stay in for a while?

I mean, you are going to burn a bridge. You have to consider the consequences of that (especially if you are staying in that market) and weight that against getting the job you really want.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:57 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:

I think it's not an ideal situation - because you may look flakey having something on your resume for a short period of time, and obviously it's rude and may make you look bad to your employer/the people they know. That said, I think it's pretty much the reality in today's job market. Pretty much everyone I know took whatever job they could get, so that at least they can pay the bills, and are looking for new jobs that are more in line with what they want to do.

I'm doing this and I'm not looking back. I would reconsider it if it was a solo though because they take careful consideration in picking their applicants and it could tots screw them. I'm also only applying to dream jobs so I'll probably be stuck there for awhile so they get a return on their investment, unless i'm just a much better student than practioner, lol.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:59 pm

Just received an offer from a firm in FL. I am officially out of the vale. Please don't despair friends, keep hustling.

Return to “Legal Employment”