The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
spleenworship

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:15 pm

Bikeflip wrote:Interview went well. I hit the right tone, but my last question was rambly. :|

I'm sure it went better than you thought.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Two more PD position rejects.

Fuck me baby Moses.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:09 pm

Hang tough brother.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:29 am

T1, top 25% of class, lots of relevant work / clerk experience, can't even get an interview for a position I meet all the requirements for and asked for people in top half of class to apply for. I seriously haven't had a single interview applying to these small firms. I have a shitlaw offer from the place I clerked last summer but I was hoping for better.

jlas000

Postby jlas000 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:13 am

Got of the Vale as of yesterday. I accepted a clerkship with my state's supreme court. Job does not start in earnest until August, though it may start part-time in July to get up to speed while the current clerks are still there, and my state has diploma privilege so no bar, so now I have to decide how to pass my time from graduation in May until the job starts. Good luck to everyone else!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:01 am

Anybody here have their citi interview yet?

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:59 am

jlas000 wrote:Got of the Vale as of yesterday. I accepted a clerkship with my state's supreme court. Job does not start in earnest until August, though it may start part-time in July to get up to speed while the current clerks are still there, and my state has diploma privilege so no bar, so now I have to decide how to pass my time from graduation in May until the job starts. Good luck to everyone else!

Congrats!!!!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:26 am

northwood wrote:
jlas000 wrote:Got of the Vale as of yesterday. I accepted a clerkship with my state's supreme court. Job does not start in earnest until August, though it may start part-time in July to get up to speed while the current clerks are still there, and my state has diploma privilege so no bar, so now I have to decide how to pass my time from graduation in May until the job starts. Good luck to everyone else!

Congrats!!!!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:T1, top 25% of class, lots of relevant work / clerk experience, can't even get an interview for a position I meet all the requirements for and asked for people in top half of class to apply for. I seriously haven't had a single interview applying to these small firms. I have a shitlaw offer from the place I clerked last summer but I was hoping for better.

That sucks.

Still, shitlaw for a year or two and you might be able to move up in the world.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:T1, top 25% of class, lots of relevant work / clerk experience, can't even get an interview for a position I meet all the requirements for and asked for people in top half of class to apply for. I seriously haven't had a single interview applying to these small firms. I have a shitlaw offer from the place I clerked last summer but I was hoping for better.

Take the job, and use your weekends to apply for a job that you really want. When your dream (or better or your goals) job becomes a reality, give proper notice and go.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:34 am

So... I have one last job that might give me an offer. That's it. Then it's post bar hunting. But... I'm only doing one month of post bar hunting. After that, I'm going to hang a shingle. I met someone who did it, and I'm not gonna leave my family struggling during the holidays. So... Yeah. Just saying that right now.

My God. I can't believe I went from a JAG acceptance and interviewing 2nd/3rd round for some of the most prestigious PDs offices in the country to seriously considering hanging my own shingle.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:15 pm

spleenworship wrote:So... I have one last job that might give me an offer. That's it. Then it's post bar hunting. But... I'm only doing one month of post bar hunting. After that, I'm going to hang a shingle. I met someone who did it, and I'm not gonna leave my family struggling during the holidays. So... Yeah. Just saying that right now.

My God. I can't believe I went from a JAG acceptance and interviewing 2nd/3rd round for some of the most prestigious PDs offices in the country to seriously considering hanging my own shingle.

Same here. I've struck out everywhere, and I only want PD work and have only PD experience, including court experience. Technically there's two offices I'm not that excited about that that have me hanging in limbo, but I've not heard from either, admittedly failed to follow up on minor details for both, and I have no hopes of anything coming from them. I guess I'll follow up on those minor details to see I still have a shot.

Most jurisdictions have court-appointed counsel to supplement public defense offices or for conflict cases, so you could probably find out how to get on the list. I admit I have no entrepreneurial spirit and never wanted a solo practice, so my plan now is pick a state and find an office that will take me on as a volunteer until I can find something. Even with a school fellowship, it's not much to live on.

I had such high hopes back in fall, but yeah, it's all amounted to nothing.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:23 pm

spleenworship wrote:So... I have one last job that might give me an offer. That's it. Then it's post bar hunting. But... I'm only doing one month of post bar hunting. After that, I'm going to hang a shingle. I met someone who did it, and I'm not gonna leave my family struggling during the holidays. So... Yeah. Just saying that right now.

With the right personality and a little luck, you'll make way more money going into business for yourself. There are some books written by solos that are gold mines.. Steal all the form motions you can.. Do you have all the top family law and crim d cases saved on your PC? I suggest getting a 2L to give you his free west law password for an hour or taking them. Wouldn't even feel bad about it.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:02 pm

what are your grades and other info?

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:14 pm

sparty99 wrote:

hey that's awesome. the only thing better than squeaking out of the vale with a shitlaw job is exploding out of the vale with a high-prestige job that will open a lot of doors for you. i bet you're feeling like the sun right now. i know i would be.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:42 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:

With the right personality and a little luck, you'll make way more money going into business for yourself. There are some books written by solos that are gold mines.. Steal all the form motions you can.. Do you have all the top family law and crim d cases saved on your PC? I suggest getting a 2L to give you his free west law password for an hour or taking them. Wouldn't even feel bad about it.

Which books specifically? I might need those if I go that route.

Grond

Postby Grond » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:17 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:

Which books specifically? I might need those if I go that route.

Start with this one: http://www.amazon.com/How-Start-Build-L ... 0897076850

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:33 pm

I have a friend who was in almost the exact same position and ended up starting a solo DUI/petty crime defense firm in LA. He's really happy now and doing well, and says it was kind of a blessing in disguise because he's much happier working for himself than he thought he would be. Good luck man.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Good luck Spleen. Kinda wished I went that route.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:18 pm

I still got that one job application left though... So we'll see. Maybe I will have the opportunity to practice some with others before I start my own firm. We'll see.

Thanks for all the well wishes and support though guys. You guys rock. I couldn't have made it without this thread.

jlas000

Postby jlas000 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:57 pm

sparty99 wrote:

Kinda gave away what state I'm in with the hole diploma privilege thing, but I go to one of the WI schools, T15%.

jlas000

Postby jlas000 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:58 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

hey that's awesome. the only thing better than squeaking out of the vale with a shitlaw job is exploding out of the vale with a high-prestige job that will open a lot of doors for you. i bet you're feeling like the sun right now. i know i would be.

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty excited. I just hope everyone still looking keeps up hope.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Lawst wrote:

Same here. I've struck out everywhere, and I only want PD work and have only PD experience, including court experience. Technically there's two offices I'm not that excited about that that have me hanging in limbo, but I've not heard from either, admittedly failed to follow up on minor details for both, and I have no hopes of anything coming from them. I guess I'll follow up on those minor details to see I still have a shot.

Most jurisdictions have court-appointed counsel to supplement public defense offices or for conflict cases, so you could probably find out how to get on the list. I admit I have no entrepreneurial spirit and never wanted a solo practice, so my plan now is pick a state and find an office that will take me on as a volunteer until I can find something. Even with a school fellowship, it's not much to live on.

What is your school's fellowship amount? GULC only gives $1k a month before taxes, so I'm not sure where I can survive for that little.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:55 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Lawst wrote:

What is your school's fellowship amount? GULC only gives $1k a month before taxes, so I'm not sure where I can survive for that little.

TBF, there is a number of flyover states where you can just barely get by on $1K a month with a roommate to cut your housing costs in half. Lotta ramen and no room for emergencies though. It would be tough.

Return to “Legal Employment”