The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi guys, long time lurker here. Just wanted you guys to know that you have all made this unemployment process so much more bearable. At a T6, I am surrounded by people who are all heading off to V50 firms, loudly planning their bar trips, and talking about what big purchases they'll be making with their first paychecks. (Even my significant other is guilty of this sometimes.) And then there's me. I still have graphic flashbacks back to all the interviews that I've had, obsessively thinking about the slightest awkward moments, wondering if those are what screwed me over during 2L OCI, wondering what made me the only person among all my close group of friends to strike out so spectacularly, and worrying about the fact that my strapped-for-cash parents have cosigned all of my loans and I have no idea how I'll be able to repay my loans barring some miraculous job that falls into my lap. Anyway watching you guys constantly hustle, and sharing in your successes and failures, have made me feel so much less alone during all of this. Thanks again guys and I wish you all the best of luck.



Glad we could help.

You know, one thing I learned back when I was in the Fire Academy many years ago was that you can do absolutely anything as long as you just don't stop. They want you to bash through a concrete wall? Just keep hammering. They want you to run 7 miles today? Just put one foot in front of the other. They want you to learn all the different appliances that fit on an engine? Just keep reading and repeating the names.

It's the same way for everything, as far as I can tell. Just keep going and, eventually, something will work out, even if it seems like it wasn't your original goal... You're going to get somewhere different from where you are now. And if you are already near the bottom, like we are now, the different pretty much has to be better.

That said, I still recommend counseling and medications for the depressed. In the same way I couldn't have made it through the fire academy without ibuprofen... Sweet, pain reducing ibuprofen my kidney doctor hates... I couldn't be moving towards my goals now without bupropion. No real side effects either.

Tl;dr - just keep going everybody. It'll be ok.

gfunk01
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:18 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby gfunk01 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:40 pm

northwood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is the inside scoop on CitiGroup Compliance Associate Program?

Got an interview from the HR and wondering if it is worth it?



depends on what your other options are.. if its your only ( or one of a very few) option, go for it.


I just got an interview w/ them too. It's just a phone interview, so nothing to lose besides 20-30 min of your time. Can maybe think about it more if you make it to the Superday.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12528
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jessuf » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:24 pm

How much would one generally make their first year in lobbying? Does $70k sound about right? I know 0 things about lobbyist salaries and couldn't find much info online for entry level work.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:57 pm

Jessuf wrote:How much would one generally make their first year in lobbying? Does $70k sound about right? I know 0 things about lobbyist salaries and couldn't find much info online for entry level work.


I could ask my friend at the state level. Would that help?

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12528
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jessuf » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:44 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Jessuf wrote:How much would one generally make their first year in lobbying? Does $70k sound about right? I know 0 things about lobbyist salaries and couldn't find much info online for entry level work.


I could ask my friend at the state level. Would that help?

Sure. The position is for a DC office, but it handles state-level organizations.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273269
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:36 pm

gfunk01 wrote:northwood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What is the inside scoop on CitiGroup Compliance Associate Program?

Got an interview from the HR and wondering if it is worth it?



depends on what your other options are.. if its your only ( or one of a very few) option, go for it.


I just got an interview w/ them too. It's just a phone interview, so nothing to lose besides 20-30 min of your time. Can maybe think about it more if you make it to the Superday.


Snagged an interview with them too. This is the only positive news for the past two months or so. Fingers crossed it goes well.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:46 pm

Jessuf wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
Jessuf wrote:How much would one generally make their first year in lobbying? Does $70k sound about right? I know 0 things about lobbyist salaries and couldn't find much info online for entry level work.


I could ask my friend at the state level. Would that help?

Sure. The position is for a DC office, but it handles state-level organizations.


He says he does mostly contract work with rates set by clients. So he can't say for sure. But from what he hears, DC lobbyists do well, and you could expect 6 figures in a few years.


So maybe 70k is a good starting rate?

Sorry I'm not more helpful.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:51 am

Jessuf wrote:How much would one generally make their first year in lobbying? Does $70k sound about right? I know 0 things about lobbyist salaries and couldn't find much info online for entry level work.

Non-profit lobbyists make less. I think big firm ones make more. Are you going to be a lobbyist? Nice to find a kindred soul here!

Also, so, I mentioned I asked why I wasn't hired, and one employer said "you need more detail in your resume." However, I'm already at the one page limit. I'm wondering if it's time to go into two-page land.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273269
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:52 pm

I received a voicemail on Tuesday for an interview at a law firm but I was out of the country and didn't have cell service. Should I just explain this when I return the call? Of course if figures this happens the one week I go away.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received a voicemail on Tuesday for an interview at a law firm but I was out of the country and didn't have cell service. Should I just explain this when I return the call? Of course if figures this happens the one week I go away.

Yes, call and explain that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273269
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:10 pm

Just got the question in an interview: "you're top third from ccn but don't have a law firm job (i'm on fellowship), is the market that bad or what?"

How the fuck am I supposed to answer that question in any satisfactory way? Came up with something, but fuck.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got the question in an interview: "you're top third from ccn but don't have a law firm job (i'm on fellowship), is the market that bad or what?"

How the fuck am I supposed to answer that question in any satisfactory way? Came up with something, but fuck.

Seems like they like you, so I would say yes. I was asked that in my current job. I think it makes employers think they can get a candidate who is otherwise out of their league. And you are not admitting that there is anything wrong with you.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:18 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
Jessuf wrote:How much would one generally make their first year in lobbying? Does $70k sound about right? I know 0 things about lobbyist salaries and couldn't find much info online for entry level work.

Non-profit lobbyists make less. I think big firm ones make more. Are you going to be a lobbyist? Nice to find a kindred soul here!

Also, so, I mentioned I asked why I wasn't hired, and one employer said "you need more detail in your resume." However, I'm already at the one page limit. I'm wondering if it's time to go into two-page land.


Is it possible that you just don't have your resume formatted properly or concisely enough to include everything you need in one page? I'd try to review what you have and increase the level of detail without going to two pages. This may include dropping some unimportant stuff.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:19 pm

chrisbru wrote:Is it possible that you just don't have your resume formatted properly or concisely enough to include everything you need in one page? I'd try to review what you have and increase the level of detail without going to two pages. This may include dropping some unimportant stuff.

I update my resume regularly to drop things that are not relevant. The problem is that I've had a lot of relevant internships. And, I'm a "jack of all trades" at my current job, which is very hard to describe in two sentences.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:21 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Is it possible that you just don't have your resume formatted properly or concisely enough to include everything you need in one page? I'd try to review what you have and increase the level of detail without going to two pages. This may include dropping some unimportant stuff.

I update my resume regularly to drop things that are not relevant. The problem is that I've had a lot of relevant internships. And, I'm a "jack of all trades" at my current job, which is very hard to describe in two sentences.


I don't think there's a hard stop at one page, so as long as you're using the second page because you truly need to space for relevant stuff, you should be fine.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273269
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:47 pm

lol at my law school staying at #4 on us news. i just cut back on my hours at my paid ($12/hour) legal internship to pick up more barista shifts so i can make rent this month. :lol:

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:46 pm

Gotta reject from a PDs office today.

Yay.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby bjsesq » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:47 pm

spleenworship wrote:Gotta reject from a PDs office today.

Yay.


Sorry to hear that, brother.

User avatar
loomstate
Posts: 375
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:07 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby loomstate » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:lol at my law school staying at #4 on us news. i just cut back on my hours at my paid ($12/hour) legal internship to pick up more barista shifts so i can make rent this month. :lol:


0L here, this is scary

user has been warned for posting in legal employment as a 0L

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:51 pm

bjsesq wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Gotta reject from a PDs office today.

Yay.


Sorry to hear that, brother.


Well... It's not like it's called the "Vale of Happy Sunshine and Blowjobs." I'm sure something will work out though. Gonna keep plugging away.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:53 pm

loomstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:lol at my law school staying at #4 on us news. i just cut back on my hours at my paid ($12/hour) legal internship to pick up more barista shifts so i can make rent this month. :lol:


0L here, this is scary

Wrong forum

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:54 pm

spleenworship wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Gotta reject from a PDs office today.

Yay.


Sorry to hear that, brother.


Well... It's not like it's called the "Vale of Happy Sunshine and Blowjobs." I'm sure something will work out though. Gonna keep plugging away.

Sorry brother

Hope things turn around for you

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby bjsesq » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:56 pm

spleenworship wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Gotta reject from a PDs office today.

Yay.


Sorry to hear that, brother.


Well... It's not like it's called the "Vale of Happy Sunshine and Blowjobs." I'm sure something will work out though. Gonna keep plugging away.


Dis why ladies luv u.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:36 pm

Sucks spleen.
Got dinged from 2 non lawl jerbs last week. Need to work on my "Why are you giving up on teh lawl" answer.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:42 pm

Bikeflip wrote:Sucks spleen.
Got dinged from 2 non lawl jerbs last week. Need to work on my "Why are you giving up on teh lawl" answer.


What was your undergrad major/any work experience? I always spun this question by saying something like "I left my job to pursue an advanced degree knowing that I wanted to go back into the business world. I decided on a JD over an MBA because I thought it would give me more versatility combined with my finance bachelor's degree. I spent the last two summers working at law firms to make sure I really didn't want to be an attorney, and after those experiences I can confidently say that I am set on re-entering the business world upon graduation."




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.