The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Antrim

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Antrim » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:57 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
Antrim wrote:Random Q I'm posting here because it's more 3L/graduate oriented -- is it OK to list a friend's NYC address when applying to the bar in order to be placed in the city's testing spot rather than Buffalo etc., or is this no-go due to CF n what not

I'd be wary of giving any false information to the bar. Also, is your friend a law school graduate? If so, is he going to be using his address for his bar application? If so, could be an issue.

No, he's not. I will also be moving in with him so it is actually my future address, but I am still wary because bar.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:11 pm

The one lobbyist I know who got the job started doing it in law school with his dad who has been a lobbyist for decades.

So yeah, I'd say who you know is probably a huge chunk of it - especially at the state level.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:13 pm

Antrim wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
Antrim wrote:Random Q I'm posting here because it's more 3L/graduate oriented -- is it OK to list a friend's NYC address when applying to the bar in order to be placed in the city's testing spot rather than Buffalo etc., or is this no-go due to CF n what not

I'd be wary of giving any false information to the bar. Also, is your friend a law school graduate? If so, is he going to be using his address for his bar application? If so, could be an issue.

No, he's not. I will also be moving in with him so it is actually my future address, but I am still wary because bar.

What do out of state people do? I mean... There must be some way to sign up for a barzam at a location different from your current address.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:24 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
jtx86 wrote:Hey everyone,

I have been really depressed since taking the bar exam and am having a really hard time finding work.

I graduated in December, took the bar in February, and have to wait for the results in May. What does one do between taking the bar exam and being admitted to practice? I'm really frustrated.

I heard document review is a good idea but most require bar admission. Is being a paralegal appropriate?

Right now I am making $17/hr as an assistant to some crazy landlord. I do almost zero legally related work, but figured I'd stick to this gig until something better falls through

Ideas? Suggestions? Tips?

Thanks in advance...

$17? That's a lot of cash bro. You need to keep that and don't worry about it.

See this is the unhelpful bullshit many of us want you banned for.

Dude, I wasn't talking to you. Maybe you should focus more on you and less on me. I mean, damn. Why are you so obsessed with me?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:26 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
jtx86 wrote:Hey everyone,

I have been really depressed since taking the bar exam and am having a really hard time finding work.

I graduated in December, took the bar in February, and have to wait for the results in May. What does one do between taking the bar exam and being admitted to practice? I'm really frustrated.

I heard document review is a good idea but most require bar admission. Is being a paralegal appropriate?

Right now I am making $17/hr as an assistant to some crazy landlord. I do almost zero legally related work, but figured I'd stick to this gig until something better falls through

Ideas? Suggestions? Tips?

Thanks in advance...

$17? That's a lot of cash bro. You need to keep that and don't worry about it.

See this is the unhelpful bullshit many of us want you banned for.

Dude, I wasn't talking to you. Maybe you should focus more on you and less on me. I mean, damn. Why are you so obsessed with me?

Because you act like an asshole and we don't want you here. Trust me, go away and the obsession will vanish

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:32 pm

^ this. In a thread where people are discussing serious issues and looking for real support, you're rude and unhelpful comments are inappropriate.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:35 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Antrim wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:

What do out of state people do? I mean... There must be some way to sign up for a barzam at a location different from your current address.

Honestly, I was wary of this too, when I applied for the bar exam out of state (not NY thought) I used my then current address. The day I moved I emailed the bar examiners telling them that my address had changed and they took care of it for me. This happened before the bar exam. I did this because I was concerned about it but I am not sure if it would have mattered all that much

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:36 pm

Dude, I wasn't talking to you. Maybe you should focus more on you and less on me. I mean, damn. Why are you so obsessed with me?[/quote]

Because you act like an asshole and we don't want you here. Trust me, go away and the obsession will vanish[/quote]

I told the dude that $17 an hour is good money and he should be content. I'm really not trying to waste my time having a tit-for-tat with you. I make $0.00. So whatever your feelings about me, I don't care. Bye Felicia.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:37 pm

sparty99 wrote: I told the dude that $17 an hour is good money and he should be content. I'm really not trying to waste my time having a tit-for-tat with you. I make $0.00. So whatever your feelings about me, I don't care. Bye Felicia.

I'll take goodbye as your indication that you are leaving. In which case, thanks.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:38 pm

If you are going to move there and that will be your address and you get mail delivered at that address, yes. Otherwise, no.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:42 pm

I just decided I was going to ask why I was rejected for a job. Was that a bad idea? I figured, since I've already been rejected, I have nothing to lose, and constructive criticism of my application might be good.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:44 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I just decided I was going to ask why I was rejected for a job. Was that a bad idea? I figured, since I've already been rejected, I have nothing to lose, and constructive criticism of my application might be good.

You can say that you remain highly interested in the firm and if they can provide any feedback so you can be a better applicant or strengthen your candiacy for the future, what can you do.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:50 pm

sparty99 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:I just decided I was going to ask why I was rejected for a job. Was that a bad idea? I figured, since I've already been rejected, I have nothing to lose, and constructive criticism of my application might be good.

You can say that you remain highly interested in the firm and if they can provide any feedback so you can be a better applicant or strengthen your candiacy for the future, what can you do.

Yeah, I mean, I phrased it more like, I'm still interested in the general field (I want to do government affairs), but, hopefully I get a helpful response. And hopefully it's not too mean, and just like "uhm, cuse, you sucked."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:21 pm

Kind of a random question, but I'd appreciate your opinions on what you'd do in my shoes.

3L graduating in spring. Interviewed for a state supreme court (highest court) job in the fall, didn't get it, but the justice said I was second choice. Since then I have interviewed and have applications pending for DA jobs, what I really want to do, and Im working part time at a 4 attorney firm that might take me on after graduation, I still have to talk to them about it. Today the justice called to say another judge has an opening and wanted to know if he could pass my name along. Past clerks with the new judge have had mixed experiences, although this judge is highly respected by DAs which could help me get into the office. I said yes, but that I had applications pending elsewhere. New judge's clerk leaves message today to set up interview. So my question is, if you were me would you take this interview, knowing that if the DA job comes through I'd much rather do that then work for this particular judge? Thanks!

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kind of a random question, but I'd appreciate your opinions on what you'd do in my shoes.

3L graduating in spring. Interviewed for a state supreme court (highest court) job in the fall, didn't get it, but the justice said I was second choice. Since then I have interviewed and have applications pending for DA jobs, what I really want to do, and Im working part time at a 4 attorney firm that might take me on after graduation, I still have to talk to them about it. Today the justice called to say another judge has an opening and wanted to know if he could pass my name along. Past clerks with the new judge have had mixed experiences, although this judge is highly respected by DAs which could help me get into the office. I said yes, but that I had applications pending elsewhere. New judge's clerk leaves message today to set up interview. So my question is, if you were me would you take this interview, knowing that if the DA job comes through I'd much rather do that then work for this particular judge? Thanks!

Yes, in this job market you must take every interview that you receive. If you get an offer from the judge, it is okay to decline.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:33 pm

Antrim wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:

I used a friend's address for the CA bar. I was staying with her for a while but bouncing around in the summer and it was just easier not to constantly update addresses. If you're actually living there at least sometimes, I don't see the problem.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:27 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
Antrim wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:

I used a friend's address for the CA bar. I was staying with her for a while but bouncing around in the summer and it was just easier not to constantly update addresses. If you're actually living there at least sometimes, I don't see the problem.

Probably kosker, but call the NY bar just in case.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:37 pm

That sounds like a terrible idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Kind of a random question, but I'd appreciate your opinions on what you'd do in my shoes.

YES. Based on my experience, I would interview. Clerking for any judge is an invaluable experience. And if the judge is highly respected by DAs, then he could help you in applying for DA jobs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:18 am

rad lulz wrote:Lobbying is generally don't bother unless you have existing political connections.

Lawyers get hired 1) after developing connections and a network (aka the people you will lobby) and/or 2) developing lots of experience in highly-regulated industry work (think energy)

It's damn hard to do lobbying otherwise; friend of mine struck out of lobbying last year due to lack of the above

Thanks for the info.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:

YES. Based on my experience, I would interview. Clerking for any judge is an invaluable experience. And if the judge is highly respected by DAs, then he could help you in applying for DA jobs.

I don't know that I would agree that clerking for ANY judge is invaluable experience (have a friend that is a clerk & he just answers telephone calls and schedules stuff for the judge) but I agree with the latter part--it most always helps with connections and that is why you should do it.

I've said it countless times but you can never bank on getting a DA job (or PD gig for that matter). Also from my experience, DA offices take forever in getting an offer and most don't hire until you are barred anyways. Taking a job with this judge would not preclude you from prosecution work so if you get an offer, I would highly consider it ITE.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:36 am

What is the inside scoop on CitiGroup Compliance Associate Program?

Got an interview from the HR and wondering if it is worth it?

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:What is the inside scoop on CitiGroup Compliance Associate Program?

Got an interview from the HR and wondering if it is worth it?

depends on what your other options are.. if its your only ( or one of a very few) option, go for it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:06 am

Hi guys, long time lurker here. Just wanted you guys to know that you have all made this unemployment process so much more bearable. At a T6, I am surrounded by people who are all heading off to V50 firms, loudly planning their bar trips, and talking about what big purchases they'll be making with their first paychecks. (Even my significant other is guilty of this sometimes.) And then there's me. I still have graphic flashbacks back to all the interviews that I've had, obsessively thinking about the slightest awkward moments, wondering if those are what screwed me over during 2L OCI, wondering what made me the only person among all my close group of friends to strike out so spectacularly, and worrying about the fact that my strapped-for-cash parents have cosigned all of my loans and I have no idea how I'll be able to repay my loans barring some miraculous job that falls into my lap. Anyway watching you guys constantly hustle, and sharing in your successes and failures, have made me feel so much less alone during all of this. Thanks again guys and I wish you all the best of luck.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Return to “Legal Employment”