The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
objctnyrhnr

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby objctnyrhnr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:25 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rejected at every single PD office I applied and interviewed for. After every second round interview offices avoid me like the plague. This is all I want to do, and if I can't get a PD job I'm not sure I want to be a lawyer. I hate myself right now so much because every office tells me how great my experience is and then boom interview happens and nothing. I'm just tainted fruit I guess. Will likely have to keep my retail job after graduation to support myself...:(

Just remember that the vast majority of PDs offices in this country hire post bar. As do private criminal defense firms (though, as you know, opportunities there are more limited).

So... wait it out, and things will improve.

Maybe you should call a few of the offices and figure out what you did wrong so you can correct that post bar? I'm sure one or two of them would be willing to lay it out for you.

This is what I would do. Nothing to lose at this point.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:01 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:
sometimesIwonder wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:Got an interview for a jerb this week. The pay is terrible, I'd have to move, and it's a term position so I wouldn't really be totally out of the Vale, but it's an opportunity, so I'm trying to get PUMPED.

What's the pay?

$26K for a state court judicial clerkship :/

I hope that's in a low cost of living area.

But GOOD LUCK

cosign, if that's in NYC, that's messed up.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rejected at every single PD office I applied and interviewed for. After every second round interview offices avoid me like the plague. This is all I want to do, and if I can't get a PD job I'm not sure I want to be a lawyer. I hate myself right now so much because every office tells me how great my experience is and then boom interview happens and nothing. I'm just tainted fruit I guess. Will likely have to keep my retail job after graduation to support myself...:(

I'm sorry but just keep in mind it really may not be you so much as PD jobs are hard to get/random. Same for DA hiring. I think you should wait until post-bar and try again.

Not trying to force-feed you life advice but I would truly think how much you want to be a lawyer vs. PD. I mean this with no offense meant, but your idealism of PD or nothing may wear off when deciding between being a private lawyer vs. a cashier in a retail store. I think right now you are just understandably devastated and will feel better about it with time.

Check around the area you want to live & practice and see if they assign indigent cases to private lawyers for crim defense. It would be a good start and earn you money and could set you up for PD work or with a criminal defense firm.

lightsandbuzz

Postby lightsandbuzz » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:12 pm

I have a meeting/interview with a legal staffing agency tomorrow for temporary doc review work. Should I wear a suit? Or keep it business casual?

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:36 pm

lightsandbuzz wrote:I have a meeting/interview with a legal staffing agency tomorrow for temporary doc review work. Should I wear a suit? Or keep it business casual?

Let's see: Do you want a job?

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:49 pm

lightsandbuzz wrote:I have a meeting/interview with a legal staffing agency tomorrow for temporary doc review work. Should I wear a suit? Or keep it business casual?

Re: bolded- wear a suit. consider every meeting within the legal field an interview, unless expressly told otherwise.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:57 pm

northwood wrote:

Re: bolded- wear a suit. consider every meeting within the legal field an interview, unless expressly told otherwise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:20 pm

I know someone just before mentioned how he's brought on to be a law clerk even after becoming barred (which is pretty horrifying), but has anyone heard of cases where people work part-time at as a law clerk during the summer while studying for the bar and then become an associate after becoming barred? I'm just trying to see if this firm (that wants me to work part-time over summer) is just stringing me along or if they plan on taking me on board, without asking them straight up I guess...

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know someone just before mentioned how he's brought on to be a law clerk even after becoming barred (which is pretty horrifying), but has anyone heard of cases where people work part-time at as a law clerk during the summer while studying for the bar and then become an associate after becoming barred? I'm just trying to see if this firm (that wants me to work part-time over summer) is just stringing me along or if they plan on taking me on board, without asking them straight up I guess...

There's a dude sitting about 20' away from me that worked over the summer and then became an associate after results.

ETA: but they told him 3L year that was happening.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know someone just before mentioned how he's brought on to be a law clerk even after becoming barred (which is pretty horrifying), but has anyone heard of cases where people work part-time at as a law clerk during the summer while studying for the bar and then become an associate after becoming barred? I'm just trying to see if this firm (that wants me to work part-time over summer) is just stringing me along or if they plan on taking me on board, without asking them straight up I guess...

I think that's standard practice. I mean, what else would you do while waiting for your admission?

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I think that's standard practice. I mean, what else would you do while waiting for your admission?

I plan on drinking in the sun and sleeping.
But I'm in the vale, so it seems like a solid plan.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I mean, you can still draft motions and other pleadings for lawyers and just have them sign their name with their bar number. And quite honestly, you will probably be doing that anyways even after you're licensed and an associate. So, it isn't any kind of automatic transition to associate just because you are barred. You will likely be doing the same thing except maybe making court appearances.

I think this is far from a sure-thing. Are they paying for your bar prep or your bar fees at least? Have they told you anything else that would lead you to believe that you will be hired and compensated as a full-time associate? I would really find out more info rather than just assume. To me, using someone as a part-time summer law clerk really doesn't indicate any full-time gig as an associate post-bar. It's just good bang for their buck.

Best of luck. I hope it works out for you.

jtx86

Postby jtx86 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:41 pm

Hey everyone,

I have been really depressed since taking the bar exam and am having a really hard time finding work.

I graduated in December, took the bar in February, and have to wait for the results in May. What does one do between taking the bar exam and being admitted to practice? I'm really frustrated.

I heard document review is a good idea but most require bar admission. Is being a paralegal appropriate?

Right now I am making $17/hr as an assistant to some crazy landlord. I do almost zero legally related work, but figured I'd stick to this gig until something better falls through

Ideas? Suggestions? Tips?

Thanks in advance...

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:03 am

I wish I knew dude. Half the jobs I'm interviewing for have a long break between bar zam and starting work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:39 am

deadpanic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I mean, you can still draft motions and other pleadings for lawyers and just have them sign their name with their bar number. And quite honestly, you will probably be doing that anyways even after you're licensed and an associate. So, it isn't any kind of automatic transition to associate just because you are barred. You will likely be doing the same thing except maybe making court appearances.

I think this is far from a sure-thing. Are they paying for your bar prep or your bar fees at least? Have they told you anything else that would lead you to believe that you will be hired and compensated as a full-time associate? I would really find out more info rather than just assume. To me, using someone as a part-time summer law clerk really doesn't indicate any full-time gig as an associate post-bar. It's just good bang for their buck.

Best of luck. I hope it works out for you.

I worked as a law clerk at an AM100 law firm and I was at a t14 school in the city (THINK NY/DC) and I didn't get an offer as a law clerk after becoming barred. They couldn't hrie me b/c of space.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:44 am

I started applying to lobbyist jobs since the PD thing isn't really panning out. I'm not quite sure how to write the best cover letter since I'm so used to writing legal ones.

dead head

Postby dead head » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I worked as a law clerk at an AM100 law firm and I was at a t14 school in the city (THINK NY/DC) and I didn't get an offer as a law clerk after becoming barred. They couldn't hrie me b/c of space.

I would be really annoyed if they gave me that as an excuse. An AmLaw 100 that can't find space in a major market for an extra person in this environment? Everyone is already doubled up? I mean, there may not have been any understanding that the position was associate-track, but it's still a pretty weak excuse on their part.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:02 pm

I've been curious about the lobbying route myself. Has anyone had any luck, or any insight into this? Thanks.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:03 pm

f
Last edited by rad lulz on Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:36 pm

jtx86 wrote:Hey everyone,

I have been really depressed since taking the bar exam and am having a really hard time finding work.

I graduated in December, took the bar in February, and have to wait for the results in May. What does one do between taking the bar exam and being admitted to practice? I'm really frustrated.

I heard document review is a good idea but most require bar admission. Is being a paralegal appropriate?

Right now I am making $17/hr as an assistant to some crazy landlord. I do almost zero legally related work, but figured I'd stick to this gig until something better falls through

Thanks in advance...

$17? That's a lot of cash bro. You need to keep that and don't worry about it.

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:46 pm

Random Q I'm posting here because it's more 3L/graduate oriented -- is it OK to list a friend's NYC address when applying to the bar in order to be placed in the city's testing spot rather than Buffalo etc., or is this no-go due to CF n what not

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:24 pm

sparty99 wrote:
jtx86 wrote:Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance...

$17? That's a lot of cash bro. You need to keep that and don't worry about it.

See this is the unhelpful bullshit many of us want you banned for.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:32 pm

rad lulz wrote:Lobbying is generally don't bother unless you have existing political connections.

Lawyers get hired 1) after developing connections and a network (aka the people you will lobby) and/or 2) developing lots of experience in highly-regulated industry work (think energy)

It's damn hard to do lobbying otherwise; friend of mine struck out of lobbying last year due to lack of the above

Agreed. Easiest way is to work as a staffer on the hill and develop expertise and connections in a very specific area.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:39 pm

Antrim wrote:Random Q I'm posting here because it's more 3L/graduate oriented -- is it OK to list a friend's NYC address when applying to the bar in order to be placed in the city's testing spot rather than Buffalo etc., or is this no-go due to CF n what not

I'd be wary of giving any false information to the bar. Also, is your friend a law school graduate? If so, is he going to be using his address for his bar application? If so, could be an issue.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:40 pm

I have a coworker who is leaving to join a lobbying firm. I think she did some internships in DC during law and undergrad and got some connections, and got an offer through one of them. Just like everything else in DC it's probably mostly about who you know.

Return to “Legal Employment”