The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:01 pm

Really feel down lately. I am dreading graduation because I think every passing day is just one step closer to inevitable unemployment. When other people are out celebrating 3L year, even those without jobs, I feel like that's something I just can't do because I have no guarantee of a job. Anybody else feeling this way or have advice?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:18 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Really feel down lately. I am dreading graduation because I think every passing day is just one step closer to inevitable unemployment. When other people are out celebrating 3L year, even those without jobs, I feel like that's something I just can't do because I have no guarantee of a job. Anybody else feeling this way or have advice?

I know how you feel, but I am more stressed and worried than depressed because all of my stuff is in limbo during these absurdly long processes. I happen to be trying to work at the DA's offices that have some of the longest processes in the country, which (for some reason) are starting later than they ever have before. It's tough because I'm not ready to start applying to everything, because the DA's thing is the only thing I want to do...but I am starting to come to the realization that I will probably be unemployed while studying for the bar and it scares me.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:23 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Really feel down lately. I am dreading graduation because I think every passing day is just one step closer to inevitable unemployment. When other people are out celebrating 3L year, even those without jobs, I feel like that's something I just can't do because I have no guarantee of a job. Anybody else feeling this way or have advice?

I know how you feel, but I am more stressed and worried than depressed because all of my stuff is in limbo during these absurdly long processes. I happen to be trying to work at the DA's offices that have some of the longest processes in the country, which (for some reason) are starting later than they ever have before. It's tough because I'm not ready to start applying to everything, because the DA's thing is the only thing I want to do...but I am starting to come to the realization that I will probably be unemployed while studying for the bar and it scares me.

I was in this exact same position last year. I would just say you might want to broaden your horizons. But PM me if you want more info.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:42 pm

deadpanic wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:

I was in this exact same position last year. I would just say you might want to broaden your horizons. But PM me if you want more info.

Yes do not put all eggs in DA basket

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:44 pm

As sad as this sounds, is there a guide anywhere on how to be on top of doc review/contract work for those who will be jobless post-bar? Like whens the earliest we should be looking, during bar prep?

wilburham

Postby wilburham » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:00 pm

I hear ya, dude. I'm thinking about not participating in the graduation ceremony because there is really nothing worth celebrating. I feel as if graduating from law school isn't that big of an accomplishment, and the only reason why I made it this far is because I was too nieve, or too scared, to drop out after my first semester.

If it is any consolation to you, you are not alone.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:21 pm

Also, I have only, at this point, PD job interviews and a single interview with a rural small firm going on too. You aren't alone. I'm proud of graduating and ima go commence and whatnot, but that's only because I got student health to give me counseling and antidepressants. I recommend either or both to anyone who is depressed, and know that the Valers are all here for you and you aren't alone. We're all hoping for a job, and we're all gonna stick at it.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:27 pm

rad lulz wrote:
deadpanic wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:

Yes do not put all eggs in DA basket

What other baskets do you suggest putting eggs into? I do not even know what else I would be qualified for. My resume screams prosecution, or maybe judicial clerkship (got three interviews for state appellate and SSC's, but did not get any of them).

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:44 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:What other baskets do you suggest putting eggs into? I do not even know what else I would be qualified for. My resume screams prosecution, or maybe judicial clerkship (got three interviews for state appellate and SSC's, but did not get any of them).

Small firms, other local govt, basically same as everyone else in your position

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:49 pm

rad lulz wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:What other baskets do you suggest putting eggs into? I do not even know what else I would be qualified for. My resume screams prosecution, or maybe judicial clerkship (got three interviews for state appellate and SSC's, but did not get any of them).

Yeah, this. Basically anything that requires a JD and pays money so that you can pay off your loans.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:56 pm

deadpanic wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Yeah, this. Basically anything that requires a JD and pays money so that you can pay off your loans.

I actually got virtually a full ride to my school (was anticipating going to DA's office, so passed up lower t14), and because I actually spend a ton of time doing very lucrative work as a professional musician and had some savings going in and a bit of family help/loan that they won't make me pay until I get a job, living expense loans are not really a big deal either. I just feel like I kind of planned on being in this situation the whole time. I actually turned down another state's trial level clerkship the other day because I just really want to be an ADA in my state and it's still somewhat early in the process.

I am applying to some local govt positions, but I cannot bring myself to apply to a small firm yet because the logical thing for somebody with my resume to do would be to "switch sides" so to speak. For anybody who has not felt conceptually married to prosecution, you might not know what kind of moral compromise this might entail...but it's certainly one that I would not be able to bring myself to make until all ADA position options are completely exhausted.

If anybody has any other suggestions for local govt positions, though, I am more than open to them. I am not 100% sure where to look, but I have applied to a handful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:41 pm

a male human wrote:
Moot issue: Got the offer contract in the email. It's for some contract/project-basis work, for now, at a boutique company (not a law firm technically but does basically what I want to do as an attorney). All that anxiety for nothing!

Congrats brutha! I'm glad it worked out. I personally would have told you to send the thank you note. That's what I usually do, but that's a moot point now ;)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:00 am

So I have a bigfirm appointment on Tuesday, though it's not entirely clear whether this is an informational meeting or an interview. The opportunity arose from a hail mary I threw to a partner who interviewed me at OCI who said she "wished I had better grades." Now I have better grades but she doesn't have an entry level position, though she thinks another group might consider making one.

Two questions: (1) Should I ask her the character of the appointment? (2) Should I prepare this any differently than I would if it were an interview?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I have a bigfirm appointment on Tuesday, though it's not entirely clear whether this is an informational meeting or an interview. The opportunity arose from a hail mary I threw to a partner who interviewed me at OCI who said she "wished I had better grades." Now I have better grades but she doesn't have an entry level position, though she thinks another group might consider making one.

Two questions: (1) Should I ask her the character of the appointment? (2) Should I prepare this any differently than I would if it were an interview?

If I were you, I'd just treat it like an interview.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I have a bigfirm appointment on Tuesday, though it's not entirely clear whether this is an informational meeting or an interview. The opportunity arose from a hail mary I threw to a partner who interviewed me at OCI who said she "wished I had better grades." Now I have better grades but she doesn't have an entry level position, though she thinks another group might consider making one.

1). I'd say no, figure it out when u get there

2). No, prepare like for interview. If not interview, over prepared is better than under.

YMMV

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:13 am

spleenworship wrote:

1). I'd say no, figure it out when u get there

2). No, prepare like for interview. If not interview, over prepared is better than under.

YMMV

Gratzi. Fingers are crossed.

Postby 02122015 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:23 pm

lsatextreme wrote:As sad as this sounds, is there a guide anywhere on how to be on top of doc review/contract work for those who will be jobless post-bar? Like whens the earliest we should be looking, during bar prep?

That's pretty early. The doc review/contract agencies hire on pretty short notice and you should have an active license before you even contact them. I mean, if you've passed the bar and just have to wait a couple of weeks to get sworn in, that's fine, but if you're still a few months out from being admitted, you should just wait.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:23 pm

I have an interview monday, small firm, ok but not great pay, but in a practice area I'm reasonably interested in. Cross fingers for me please. This is the first bite I've gotten ALL YEAR.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview monday, small firm, ok but not great pay, but in a practice area I'm reasonably interested in. Cross fingers for me please. This is the first bite I've gotten ALL YEAR.

Good luck anon!

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:00 pm

How do you guys even know what the small firm pay is? Do firms tell you when they call to schedule an interview? I never see listings that advertise this stuff.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:47 pm

Pre-interview, I assume $40-50,000. I directly ask in the interview, unless they tell me before asking. If they're still evasive, then I can only assume it's below $40,000.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:00 pm

Just thought everyone should sign this in case people go into public interest/govt.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... t/wkqnqBCH

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:09 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview monday, small firm, ok but not great pay, but in a practice area I'm reasonably interested in. Cross fingers for me please. This is the first bite I've gotten ALL YEAR.

Good luck anon!

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:26 pm

Jessuf wrote:How do you guys even know what the small firm pay is? Do firms tell you when they call to schedule an interview? I never see listings that advertise this stuff.

Highly depends on market, firm reputation and your definition of "small". I never asked cause I thought that looked bad at interviews, if you get to the point where they make an offer they will tell you. You should already have a minimum number you'd be willing to take before that happens.

Return to “Legal Employment”