The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chrisbru

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
That sounds like a great gig. And you're right, I am planning to take the bar. I guess I am still holding out some hope that I may find something legal that I won't hate, and part of me just wants to have passed the bar even if I go the non-legal route (I guess there is no real logic to this). So I guess what makes most sense is to keep looking for a legal job, and to start applying for immediate start, non-legal jd preferred stuff once I am still unemployed after the bar?

Best part is, it pays slightly better than most firms in the location that I'm working in other than the "big law" firms that no one outside of T14 can get.

I plan on taking the bar, but doing so in February or July 2015. That way I can study at night over a longer period of time. I dunno *shrug*

It can't hurt to apply now and talk to some people about your timeframe. You never know what hiring timeframes are. Then, if you find a job you really like, you can option to start earlier if they need it.

In the end, its all about what you want. If you really wouldn't be happy working at a firm, why do it?

champ33

Postby champ33 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:13 pm

Yeah I guess that I agree - why not take the bar at this point, even if only to say you can technically practice law. And I think I will start applying to jd preferred stuff now as well, and see how things shake out. I'm going to be looking broadly in entertainment, sports, real estate, healthcare/hospitals, and labor-related positions (I think the finance stuff is out because I have 0 background) and I'll report back if anyone's interested.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:18 am

a male human wrote:Do employers typically make you feel like you got the job then later go cold? That happened to me once. I had an interview this morning, and I have no idea what's going to happen because I forgot to ask for a timeline.

Yep. This happened to me at a V100 firm my 3L year. Told me everyone in the office liked me through a few rounds of interviews, wanted me to interview in another city, they'd be in touch shortly to schedule the interview, and then radio silence. No response to two emails asking for an update. I'm still waiting on the ding two years later. I felt somehow used :(

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:57 pm

a male human wrote:Do employers typically make you feel like you got the job then later go cold? That happened to me once. I had an interview this morning, and I have no idea what's going to happen because I forgot to ask for a timeline.

Absolutely.

At least they didn't explicitly say you got the job but then a week later say "Oh, actually, I gave it to someone else." That shit sux. Happened to me a few weeks ago.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:17 pm

Wow @ all these fakeout war stories. Thanks for sharing.

Should I call at some point asking for a timeline (since I forgot to ask during yesterday's interview)? The waiting game makes me too anxious. I want to call like now to ask about that contract he said he'd send.

Moot issue: Got the offer contract in the email. It's for some contract/project-basis work, for now, at a boutique company (not a law firm technically but does basically what I want to do as an attorney). All that anxiety for nothing!

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:34 pm

Thanks for banning me for a week. I do notice that the person who I was responding to was NOT even offended by what I said and knew that I was coming from a positive place. But of course, this fact clearly went unnoticed by the haters.

I enjoyed my time away. Not having to read another suicide sob story did wonders for my life. Goodbye, haters.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:46 pm

rad lulz wrote:
sparty99 wrote:I enjoyed my time away. Not having to read another suicide sob story did wonders for my life. Goodbye, haters.

Sounds like he's asking for a perma

Cosigned.

Have a lead to become an insurance salesman.
Last edited by Bikeflip on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:48 pm

sparty99 wrote:Thanks for banning me for a week. I do notice that the person who I was responding to was NOT even offended by what I said and knew that I was coming from a positive place. But of course, this fact clearly went unnoticed by the haters.

I enjoyed my time away. Not having to read another suicide sob story did wonders for my life. Goodbye, haters.

The person you were responding too is not the only person reading in this thread and gave you way more credit than you deserve.

Here's a compromise: don't post in this thread, and you can hang out on the rest of the site. If you come back here to complain some more about how we're all haters who don't appreciate your generous advice, you'll get banned again.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:51 pm

sparty99 wrote:Thanks for banning me for a week. I do notice that the person who I was responding to was NOT even offended by what I said and knew that I was coming from a positive place. But of course, this fact clearly went unnoticed by the haters.

You actually sound way more depressing than anyone else in this thread, dude. You've managed to make a group of people who want to do nothing but help each other hate you. I bet your mother doesn't even love you.

dead head

Postby dead head » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:26 pm

rad lulz wrote:
sparty99 wrote:I enjoyed my time away. Not having to read another suicide sob story did wonders for my life. Goodbye, haters.

This coming from a guy who posts "Inb4 /self" in a thread about a guy who has $400k in debt, $300k of which is not eligible for forgiveness.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:40 pm

dead head wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

This coming from a guy who posts "Inb4 /self" in a thread about a guy who has $400k in debt, $300k of which is not eligible for forgiveness.

I read that as a comment on the commenters, not on the OP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:08 am

Anon from the previous page asking about PD work: How valuable is learning Spanish?

I spoke with the head PD in my hometown (he supervised my internship back in college and remembered me, super nice guy) and he told me that the situation is abysmal, people lined up for jobs that don't even exist yet. They've had to implement a policy of not allowing graduates to volunteer because it creates the expectation their free labor will possibly lead to a job (most depressing sentence ever). Then he told me that that said, they desperately need more Spanish speakers and I should do whatever it takes to get my Spanish up to conversational by the time bar results come out, even if it means going to live in Mexico for the two months between the bar and when results come out. He said they have exactly one PD who isn't even fluent in Spanish, just conversational, and they will never let her go and cared about nothing else on her resume, she was hired on the spot.

Solid advice? Seems a whole lot more useful than the "network" crap I've been getting from career services and he was upfront that volunteering doesn't even work anymore, but god what an investment of time and money. I took 4 years of Spanish (three in high school one in college) and remember a little, but I'd have to start now and do a full on immersion program abroad to have a prayer of getting it up to a conversational level. I can't believe I'm actually considering this.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:29 am

Especially depending where you are, seems credited to me. I'm in a state with a lot of native Spanish speakers, and neither the PD nor the FPD will hire anyone who's not fluent in Spanish.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anon from the previous page asking about PD work: How valuable is learning Spanish?

I spoke with the head PD in my hometown (he supervised my internship back in college and remembered me, super nice guy) and he told me that the situation is abysmal, people lined up for jobs that don't even exist yet. They've had to implement a policy of not allowing graduates to volunteer because it creates the expectation their free labor will possibly lead to a job (most depressing sentence ever). Then he told me that that said, they desperately need more Spanish speakers and I should do whatever it takes to get my Spanish up to conversational by the time bar results come out, even if it means going to live in Mexico for the two months between the bar and when results come out. He said they have exactly one PD who isn't even fluent in Spanish, just conversational, and they will never let her go and cared about nothing else on her resume, she was hired on the spot.

Solid advice? Seems a whole lot more useful than the "network" crap I've been getting from career services and he was upfront that volunteering doesn't even work anymore, but god what an investment of time and money. I took 4 years of Spanish (three in high school one in college) and remember a little, but I'd have to start now and do a full on immersion program abroad to have a prayer of getting it up to a conversational level. I can't believe I'm actually considering this.

Some places w lots of Spanish speakers want actual fluent speakers and conversational won't cut it, but I've heard of some places w few speakers being like "yeah we are ok w conversational."

I get the impression the former is more common. No data to back it up

But if the dude is willing to hire a conversational speaker it's not that hard if you put your mind to it

I'm still conversational from HS Spanish

Go for it

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:25 am

When I say conversational, I mean I want to be able to conduct a client interview and not worry that I just screwed something up by mishearing a word. I fully expect to be interviewed in Spanish if I put conversational on my resume and I'm not there yet, not even close.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:51 am

Fuck you, go away.

Anonymous User

Citi compliance 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:40 pm

Has anyone heard from the Citi Compliance program?

Crash32

Postby Crash32 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:46 pm

Been a while since I posted. I had another interview with a firm that I started interviewing with in October. As a forewarning, this is a frustration post/rant...

For background, in my interview in October, I went through 3 hours of testing (hard logical/ mathematical reasoning) and 4 hours of interviews. I didn't get the position they were hiring for, but they said they were considering me for another position. I kept in touch with them, but didn't hear anything about the job for months.

Fast forward to last week -- I got an email saying they had an opening and were very interested in talking with me. They brought me down for a nice dinner with the two most senior partners, put me up in a nice hotel, then I had 6 grueling hours of interviews (plus lunch) with every partner in the firm plus one final "how you work through situations" test. At the end of everything, they told me that I would know something within 2 weeks.

I guess my frustration is that I feel like I jumping through all of the hoops and, after 13 hours, 3 meals, 1 overnight, and multiple tests, I do not know how the firm actually feels about me. I feel like they like my personality and drive, but are hesitant because I am a nontraditional student (transferred undergrad, took time off between college and law school). Having to wait another 2 weeks after 5+ months just feels like I am being held as a "if we can't find anyone else" option. Has anyone else dealt with these kind of issues?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:08 pm

Crash32 wrote:Been a while since I posted. I had another interview with a firm that I started interviewing with in October. As a forewarning, this is a frustration post/rant...

For background, in my interview in October, I went through 3 hours of testing (hard logical/ mathematical reasoning) and 4 hours of interviews. I didn't get the position they were hiring for, but they said they were considering me for another position. I kept in touch with them, but didn't hear anything about the job for months.

Fast forward to last week -- I got an email saying they had an opening and were very interested in talking with me. They brought me down for a nice dinner with the two most senior partners, put me up in a nice hotel, then I had 6 grueling hours of interviews (plus lunch) with every partner in the firm plus one final "how you work through situations" test. At the end of everything, they told me that I would know something within 2 weeks.

I guess my frustration is that I feel like I jumping through all of the hoops and, after 13 hours, 3 meals, 1 overnight, and multiple tests, I do not know how the firm actually feels about me. I feel like they like my personality and drive, but are hesitant because I am a nontraditional student (transferred undergrad, took time off between college and law school). Having to wait another 2 weeks after 5+ months just feels like I am being held as a "if we can't find anyone else" option. Has anyone else dealt with these kind of issues?

They're interested

Nothing to do but follow up

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:36 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That sounds like a great gig. And you're right, I am planning to take the bar. I guess I am still holding out some hope that I may find something legal that I won't hate, and part of me just wants to have passed the bar even if I go the non-legal route (I guess there is no real logic to this). So I guess what makes most sense is to keep looking for a legal job, and to start applying for immediate start, non-legal jd preferred stuff once I am still unemployed after the bar?

Best part is, it pays slightly better than most firms in the location that I'm working in other than the "big law" firms that no one outside of T14 can get.

I plan on taking the bar, but doing so in February or July 2015. That way I can study at night over a longer period of time. I dunno *shrug*

It can't hurt to apply now and talk to some people about your timeframe. You never know what hiring timeframes are. Then, if you find a job you really like, you can option to start earlier if they need it.

In the end, its all about what you want. If you really wouldn't be happy working at a firm, why do it?

Just skip the bar and spend your time networking and having beers with clients. More enjoyable and practical. If you want to take something and plan on doing large RE just take like s63 so you can pitch larger RE deals with more credibility to accredited investors or go get large commercial specialized RE certifications like NICET etc.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:45 pm

Crash32 wrote:Been a while since I posted. I had another interview with a firm that I started interviewing with in October. As a forewarning, this is a frustration post/rant...

They are definitely interested. I can't imagine they do this with a bunch of candidates.

Not to sidetrack this thing, but good lord, is this typical for a lot of firms? That is pretty intense.

Crash32

Postby Crash32 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:30 pm

deadpanic wrote:

They are definitely interested. I can't imagine they do this with a bunch of candidates.

Not to sidetrack this thing, but good lord, is this typical for a lot of firms? That is pretty intense.

I have never come across this before. I don't want it to sound like I am complaining about the process too much, because it seems like they put a ton of effort into making sure the firm has a really good mix of people that work well together. I can appreciate that, especially since it seems like they have done a really good job with it. Everyone at the firm is awesome and has a great outlook. Its just that going through it right now is exhausting.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:01 pm

typ3 wrote:Just skip the bar and spend your time networking and having beers with clients. More enjoyable and practical. If you want to take something and plan on doing large RE just take like s63 so you can pitch larger RE deals with more credibility to accredited investors or go get large commercial specialized RE certifications like NICET etc.

I'm in rental property service contracts, dude, none of this stuff would help.

Plus there's an opportunity to transition to in-house counsel down the road, so I need to take the bar eventually.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:59 pm

Has anyone done or considered doing part-time NYU tax llm. Outcomes? Or is this just meant for biglaw attorneys while they are practicing...

Return to “Legal Employment”