The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:11 pm

2LsAPlenty wrote:Well at least they remembered you. I hope they spelled your name correctly.

It is hard getting motivated for the last semester. Ready for career services seminars for landing that job as a 3L? I am sure there will be lots of wisdom and few will show up to confirm they don't have a job. Seems like a perverted cycle. I know there has to be plenty of people other than the top few schools that are embarassed they don't have something lined up yet.

They will prolly be broadened to being about networking and using social media to increase attendance. Columbia pulled one like that by changing the title to something more generic, which resulted in a large number of LLMs unfortunately showing up.

2LsAPlenty

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:45 am

Sounds like they expect the upcoming ABA numbers to show some improvement so they can say the job market is fine.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:54 am

Had a chance to sit down with the MP of one of the firms I work at. Had good things to say and he wants me to start working for the other partners to make sure I'm good enough to bring on. As of now, he said they don't want to lose me. So the next two or so months are going to be a vetting period and then I might have something. 30ish person firm. I've said this before, but if you're unemployed try to work at a firm pt. Doing associate work isn't difficult, just show up and work hard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:20 pm

I sat down with a partner friend at V10 in New York. She was in the same position as us-- her midlaw firm fell apart near the end of her 3L year and she was jobless, was from a T30 school, journal, high grades, and hustled a job at a v10 firm. She said that basically 3L hiring is more prevalent than people think, and happens as practice groups within firms reassess demand closer to the end of spring and summer. The hiring is made by the practice groups, not the firm itself. In her situation, she had a particular focus and there was a spike in demand for attorneys within her focus. She said two criteria were both vital: 1) grade/school combination are decent, and 2) a demonstrated focus in the particular practice area through experience and coursework.

It was her opinion that 3L job search was not more difficult for qualified people, but different in nature-- the analogy is that 2L job search is like trawling for fish, and 3L job search is like hunting for deer. Opportunities are easier to come by 2L year, 3L year opportunities are difficult to find, but sometimes easier to nail down if you are a good fit in terms of geography and skills.

Anyone hear something similar?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:42 pm

I apologize to admins for being a 2L and on this thread, but I think these stories might be helpful to 3L. A close friend of mine recently got a V50 job, after graduation and taking the bar, via networking and receiving advice from a judge that he build a relationship with. Prior to this job, he had nothing (no 2L SA or anything like that.)
A second friend of mine, graduated in 2009, worked at what people here would consider an ID mill. Then, did a state appellate court clerkship, and today is also at a V50.
Third friend, graduated in 2009 and worked at the AG office. Today, he is a corporate associate at a V-30.
The market I am talking about is a super-hard to break in secondary market.

This is all anecdotal... I grant you... but from the people I have talked to, it seems like getting biglaw (after missing it as a 2L or being no-offered) is not as a foregone conclusion as it is often made on TLS. According to them, it requires however to be constantly on the look-out and available for the switch. I also think from talking to them, that you are better off trying to hit large firms with small classes... think of the K&L Gates, Bakers or DLA Pipers of the law world. They seem to like laterals, and if you gain relevant experience, according to my friends, they will not be bothered that you were not at a V-10. This is the general advice I received from talking to them.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:40 pm

What happened to half the posts in this thread?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:19 pm

kalvano wrote:What happened to half the posts in this thread?

Any word on your end bro

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:24 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Any word on your end bro

My summer firm is apparently still deciding on whether to hire. I would say they are fucking with me, but I don't see the percentage in that. So that's still a viable possibility, I suppose. Interview next week with a local judge, so maybe something there.

I'll start attacking all the local firms with mailings around the end of January if I don't get anything.

You?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:43 pm

kalvano wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Any word on your end bro

My summer firm is apparently still deciding on whether to hire. I would say they are fucking with me, but I don't see the percentage in that. So that's still a viable possibility, I suppose. Interview next week with a local judge, so maybe something there.

I'll start attacking all the local firms with mailings around the end of January if I don't get anything.

You?

Still have 3 CB style interviews at state govt, bigfed, and a firm waiting to hear back from. No word on when I should hear from any of those. Gotta keep trucking I guess. Gotta maybe try to get a networking push going in the market where my school is. Previous efforts have bee largely concentrated back home.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:33 pm

rad lulz wrote:
kalvano wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Any word on your end bro

You?

Still have 3 CB style interviews at state govt, bigfed, and a firm waiting to hear back from. No word on when I should hear from any of those. Gotta keep trucking I guess. Gotta maybe try to get a networking push going in the market where my school is. Previous efforts have bee largely concentrated back home.

Good to hear bro, good luck! I had a clerkship interview recently that went really well IMO. Also have a biglaw interview at time TBD. Made a good networking push during the past two months and I'm hoping it'll start to yield results. I also haven't turned in my bar app stuff yet and, while it's nice to be able to apply to everything, I'm giving myself til February before I bite it and just pick a state.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:40 pm

Omerta wrote:Good to hear bro, good luck! I had a clerkship interview recently that went really well IMO. Also have a biglaw interview at time TBD. Made a good networking push during the past two months and I'm hoping it'll start to yield results. I also haven't turned in my bar app stuff yet and, while it's nice to be able to apply to everything, I'm giving myself til February before I bite it and just pick a state.

Where's the firm interview, ATL?

Yeah dude waiting on my birth certificate so I can send my bar app into our home state.

Also rejected from bigfed today lol

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Firms have not made it rain Symplicity poasts yet. About to start the mother of all mass mailing sprees soon.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:13 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Omerta wrote:Good to hear bro, good luck! I had a clerkship interview recently that went really well IMO. Also have a biglaw interview at time TBD. Made a good networking push during the past two months and I'm hoping it'll start to yield results. I also haven't turned in my bar app stuff yet and, while it's nice to be able to apply to everything, I'm giving myself til February before I bite it and just pick a state.

Where's the firm interview, ATL?

Yeah dude waiting on my birth certificate so I can send my bar app into our home state.

Also rejected from bigfed today lol

It's actually in St. Louis. No connection there, but it's in my ideal practice area. I have an informational interview on Thursday with two named partners at ATL litigation boutiques. I'll let you know if they bring up any firms looking in your area of interest.

Gonna shoot out a few clerkship apps tomorrow too. A few southern judges popped up, so I'll see if they bite.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:26 am

No offered 3L. Made the worst grades I've ever made last semester. GPA dropped by .8. Law school has been going to shit ever since my no-offer.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:56 pm

Interview with a local judge today for clerkship. Please please please please. WANT. Even at shitty pay.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:39 am

Good luck bro. The pressure is on I guess. Lots of people doing mass mails that I can see.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:16 pm

Yes, need to start a full court press. However, lunch time is interesting how the subject is avoided.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:24 pm

Quick question, if an employer responds to your application with a "Thank you for applying. We expect to begin contacting applicants next month," do you guys respond? I never have before, because it doesn't seem like something worth responding to, but I'm wondering if that extra e-mail could trigger some extra name recognition?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:48 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Quick question, if an employer responds to your application with a "Thank you for applying. We expect to begin contacting applicants next month," do you guys respond? I never have before, because it doesn't seem like something worth responding to, but I'm wondering if that extra e-mail could trigger some extra name recognition?

I tried doing that at my last biglaw interview. Didn't work - they had accepted 40+ people to interview for one spot. It probably annoyed them more than anything else.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:55 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Quick question, if an employer responds to your application with a "Thank you for applying. We expect to begin contacting applicants next month," do you guys respond? I never have before, because it doesn't seem like something worth responding to, but I'm wondering if that extra e-mail could trigger some extra name recognition?

I think reacitons to this would range between "I'm mildly annoyed" and "Oh, OK." No real reason to.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:07 pm

Then I'll refrain. Thanks. And now back to the grind of super tailored cover letters. I love almost everything about public interest except for the fact that you really can't have a standard cover letter.

2LsAPlenty

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:10 pm

Peach, I know from your other posts you are a big public interest girl with no interest in private practice, but you might want to consider a thoughtful follow up at some point confirming your interest. It is a tough market, and the smart aggressive people get the jobs despite what your dean says to the contrary. Just a thought.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:30 pm

2LsAPlenty wrote:Peach, I know from your other posts you are a big public interest girl with no interest in private practice, but you might want to consider a thoughtful follow up at some point confirming your interest. It is a tough market, and the smart aggressive people get the jobs despite what your dean says to the contrary. Just a thought.

My dean is all about being aggressive, I'm not sure what he's said to the contrary.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:31 pm

Got a pretty awesome Vale of Tears story.

This firm has a practice group that I'd love to work in, and they put a position up on Symplicity last Wednesday. I'm psyched because I know a guy who works there in that group pretty well, so I make a note to apply for it when I get time over the weekend (posted application deadline was Jan. 30).

They took the posting down the day after they posted it.

Well, friend of mine at school copped an interview and was being interviewed by my friend at the firm. Firm-friend asked him if he knew me, and since he did, I guess I was a topic of conversation. Firm-friend had school-friend text me from the interview (or right after the interview) some inside joke.

In short, my friend at this firm thought it would be a good idea to have someone who is interviewing for a job I wanted text me from the interview. :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:29 pm

Just applied to like 10 jerbs on symplicity. Expecting more of DAT RADIO SILENCE.

Return to “Legal Employment”