The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
legalese_retard

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby legalese_retard » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:21 pm

chrisbru wrote:
chrisbru wrote:So, I'm staying here, hope you guys don't mind. I had two really good interviews on Friday for non-attorney positions.

One was a risk and contracts manager position that really wants someone with a law degree. The position has a lot of autonomy, and really lets me create value for the company. I loved it, and would accept on the spot if the compensation package is fair. They seemed interested, and perked up when I said I could come in every Friday for the rest of the semester to train, and start right after Memorial Day weekend. They should let me know by the end of this week. I really hope I get this position.

Got an offer for this job at the end of my second interview this morning! Compensation package is lower than I want, but it is the kind of work I'd love to do and in the city I want to be in. Pretty stoked.

Also, no bar exam for me!

Major congrats!

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:38 pm

chrisbru wrote:
chrisbru wrote:So, I'm staying here, hope you guys don't mind. I had two really good interviews on Friday for non-attorney positions.

One was a risk and contracts manager position that really wants someone with a law degree. The position has a lot of autonomy, and really lets me create value for the company. I loved it, and would accept on the spot if the compensation package is fair. They seemed interested, and perked up when I said I could come in every Friday for the rest of the semester to train, and start right after Memorial Day weekend. They should let me know by the end of this week. I really hope I get this position.

Got an offer for this job at the end of my second interview this morning! Compensation package is lower than I want, but it is the kind of work I'd love to do and in the city I want to be in. Pretty stoked.

Congrats man, great to hear!

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:54 pm

Still my boy, Bru!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:04 pm

legalese_retard wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Major congrats!

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:05 pm

sounds like a cool job, dude. congrats.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:02 pm

Congrats, chrisbru!!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:50 pm

gfunk01 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Congrats. I would still recommend taking the bar exam and getting admitted to get the stuff out of the way now rather than later when you will be even busier.

Thanks for the unsolicited advice but... No. Why would I put off working to take the bar exam when I don't need the be licensed? I'll take it in February. Maybe. I don't really want to ever practice law so... Yeah.

Thanks all for the congrats! Now I'm back to pulling for everyone else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:13 pm

I'm a 3L at the best school in state (Lower T100 so that's obviously not saying much) and even though this is my first post in the Vale, I'm probably going to be here a long, long time. My grades 1L year were horrible and have dragged me down, even though I've done decently the last two years. I didn't make law review or moot court, so I threw myself into mock trial. It's what I really love to do anyway and I'm damn good at it. I have a couple of competition wins and leadership positions under my belt, the competitions I didn't win I always made semi-finals. I did mock trial in college too and probably have the strongest mock trial background of anyone in my year. Unfortunately, mock trial seems to be the redheaded step child of law school extracurriculars and no DA or PD wants to give me the time of day. I've been applying since August and I've only had one interview. I really thought I had it, we hit it off well, it was in a city I have incredibly strong connections to and they seemed reasonably impressed by my work experience (four internships at DAs, PDs and USAO offices) and mock trial accomplishments. And then they told me there was no room at the Inn and they'd call me if something opened up.

I've applied to other places but I really, really want to work at a DA's office. Besides, all the firms and clerkships ask for grades and then they just laugh and laugh and laugh. It doesn't help that my class was full of some of the biggest asshats you've ever seen who love to brag about their grades and jobs (facebook is blowing up right now with "sooooo blessed I got this amazing job!!!" Same people who facebooked about their grades).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:28 pm

Copped an entry level OGC fed agency (not a "prestigious" agency or litigation based agency if you were wondering) interview off of the usajobs black hole. Anyone know how these gov interviews compare to firm interviews? Hoping to do well since I have to fork out $400 to fly to the office.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L at the best school in state (Lower T100 so that's obviously not saying much) and even though this is my first post in the Vale, I'm probably going to be here a long, long time. My grades 1L year were horrible and have dragged me down, even though I've done decently the last two years. I didn't make law review or moot court, so I threw myself into mock trial. It's what I really love to do anyway and I'm damn good at it. I have a couple of competition wins and leadership positions under my belt, the competitions I didn't win I always made semi-finals. I did mock trial in college too and probably have the strongest mock trial background of anyone in my year. Unfortunately, mock trial seems to be the redheaded step child of law school extracurriculars and no DA or PD wants to give me the time of day. I've been applying since August and I've only had one interview. I really thought I had it, we hit it off well, it was in a city I have incredibly strong connections to and they seemed reasonably impressed by my work experience (four internships at DAs, PDs and USAO offices) and mock trial accomplishments. And then they told me there was no room at the Inn and they'd call me if something opened up.

I've applied to other places but I really, really want to work at a DA's office. Besides, all the firms and clerkships ask for grades and then they just laugh and laugh and laugh. It doesn't help that my class was full of some of the biggest asshats you've ever seen who love to brag about their grades and jobs (facebook is blowing up right now with "sooooo blessed I got this amazing job!!!" Same people who facebooked about their grades).

A lot of DA jobs open up after bar passage. Maybe that'll help. In the meantime, were here for ya

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Copped an entry level OGC fed agency (not a "prestigious" agency or litigation based agency if you were wondering) interview off of the usajobs black hole. Anyone know how these gov interviews compare to firm interviews? Hoping to do well since I have to fork out $400 to fly to the office.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:12 pm

Just got essentially my last rejection from any place I had interviewed with, and now have nothing and my fellowship is approaching its finale. I feel like shit every day, and a complete failure as a lawyer and a human being. The last rejection I got was to primarily med mal in upstate, where I was prolly the only person from a top 7 school interviewing, and that still wasn't good enough. Waking up and getting myself to work is difficult, and then making it through the day just seems harder and harder as I approach the deadline and prolly will be given even less work than I barely get already. I haven't even heard back from the two staffing agencies I emailed, and I have no clue how I'm going to pay my rent and therapy/medication along w/ all the costs associated w/ taking the CA bar. I feel like I'm approaching a cliff, and wondering whether or not I should jump once I reach the edge.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:19 pm

I like following up with someone via e-mail about an interview and getting an immediate rejection. That has happened to me a million times since starting law school. The office I followed up with today is still actively doing first round interviews, so that is pretty depressing.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got essentially my last rejection from any place I had interviewed with, and now have nothing and my fellowship is approaching its finale. I feel like shit every day, and a complete failure as a lawyer and a human being. The last rejection I got was to primarily med mal in upstate, where I was prolly the only person from a top 7 school interviewing, and that still wasn't good enough. Waking up and getting myself to work is difficult, and then making it through the day just seems harder and harder as I approach the deadline and prolly will be given even less work than I barely get already. I haven't even heard back from the two staffing agencies I emailed, and I have no clue how I'm going to pay my rent and therapy/medication along w/ all the costs associated w/ taking the CA bar. I feel like I'm approaching a cliff, and wondering whether or not I should jump once I reach the edge.

Don't jump. Get help.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:23 pm

Jessuf wrote:I like following up with someone via e-mail about an interview and getting an immediate rejection. That has happened to me a million times since starting law school. The office I followed up with today is still actively doing first round interviews, so that is pretty depressing.

Ugh. That sucks.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Copped an entry level OGC fed agency (not a "prestigious" agency or litigation based agency if you were wondering) interview off of the usajobs black hole. Anyone know how these gov interviews compare to firm interviews? Hoping to do well since I have to fork out $400 to fly to the office.

The big thing will be to be able to give a good reason for wanting to work for the government (I think especially with a OGC position, since the work's not always that different from what you'd do working in-house for a private company) and/or that agency. I mean, I guess that's not all that different from the question "why this firm?", but the answer will be different.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:54 pm

From a Facebook ad:

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:10 pm

while that ad blows I've actually used lawcrossing and it's pretty okay.

gfunk01

Postby gfunk01 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:18 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:while that ad blows I've actually used lawcrossing and it's pretty okay.

I've thought about it, but I'm wary of spending more money on unproven sources to find work. Already burned once before w/ outside career counselor who ended up being useless and costing tons.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:37 pm

chrisbru wrote:
gfunk01 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Congrats. I would still recommend taking the bar exam and getting admitted to get the stuff out of the way now rather than later when you will be even busier.

Thanks for the unsolicited advice but... No. Why would I put off working to take the bar exam when I don't need the be licensed? I'll take it in February. Maybe. I don't really want to ever practice law so... Yeah.

Thanks all for the congrats! Now I'm back to pulling for everyone else.

Bar isn't worth it if you don't need it- you're making the right choice there. Just make sure career services / the dean don't pressure you into signing up to waste money on it because it boosts their rankings.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:48 pm

typ3 wrote:
Bar isn't worth it if you don't need it- you're making the right choice there. Just make sure career services / the dean don't pressure you into signing up to waste money on it because it boosts their rankings.

I'm sure they will lol.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just got essentially my last rejection from any place I had interviewed with, and now have nothing and my fellowship is approaching its finale. I feel like shit every day, and a complete failure as a lawyer and a human being. The last rejection I got was to primarily med mal in upstate, where I was prolly the only person from a top 7 school interviewing, and that still wasn't good enough. Waking up and getting myself to work is difficult, and then making it through the day just seems harder and harder as I approach the deadline and prolly will be given even less work than I barely get already. I haven't even heard back from the two staffing agencies I emailed, and I have no clue how I'm going to pay my rent and therapy/medication along w/ all the costs associated w/ taking the CA bar. I feel like I'm approaching a cliff, and wondering whether or not I should jump once I reach the edge.

Dude, I know the feeling of hopelessness, and I wonder why I went to lawl skool if I was going to end up here. PM some of us. We're gonna help you through it. Swear to god, if you bros in the Vale weren't here to vent to, I'd lose my fucking mind. My non law school people still think I'll be okay, even though it's been 9 months since graduation.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:14 am

gfunk01 wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:while that ad blows I've actually used lawcrossing and it's pretty okay.

I've thought about it, but I'm wary of spending more money on unproven sources to find work. Already burned once before w/ outside career counselor who ended up being useless and costing tons.

Was this through a bar association referral?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:18 am

Hey all - Corporate compliance for big banks. I snagged a gig after being in the Vale almost 8 months. I do AML and antiterrorist financing. Is it interesting? Sure. Does it pay a livable salary and I do get benefits? Yup. I can even go out once on the weekends. I would gladly work with any of you valers than some of the 24-25 yr olds w/o the law degree. So please apply. JP Morgan, HSBC, Goldman, SunTrust, Deloitte & KPMG... and so on. I'd have you pm me but I've been previously banned for dishing some lip to an admin.

Good luck to all. Keep your heads up.

gfunk01

Postby gfunk01 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:29 am

NYstate wrote:
gfunk01 wrote:

Was this through a bar association referral?

No, my school's career services. I was that pathetic and hopeless after striking out a second time that they thought someone outside would maybe do better.

Return to “Legal Employment”