The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
HanShotFirst

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby HanShotFirst » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:29 pm

splitsplat wrote:
HanShotFirst wrote:Just out of curiosity, what type of schools did you guys go to rank wise

seriously? get the fuck out dude

I'm trying to see how bad things really are

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:35 pm

HanShotFirst wrote:
splitsplat wrote:
HanShotFirst wrote:Just out of curiosity, what type of schools did you guys go to rank wise

See thread title: no advice for 0/1/2Ls. Also, as an 0L, you're not allowed to post in this forum at all. If you read through the thread, though, plenty of people talk about what kind of school they went to, so put in the effort to do that if you want an answer to your question.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:55 pm

HanShotFirst wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

FWIW, it doesn't matter if you're top 10% at a T14, you could still end up here. So stop trying to hedge your bets and just GTFO until you need this thread.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:01 am

Chris - I didn't work during bar prep, but I know several who did and all agreed that it was fine to do it. Just take the two weeks before the bar off, because that when stuff gets real.

Although that was for Texas, which is likely somewhat harder than straight MBE / UBE.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:11 am

Bout to start volunteering with legal aid and trying to figure out a way to pay for another bar exam. :|

Fuuuuuuuuuuu.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:23 am

n
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:27 am

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Bout to start volunteering with legal aid and trying to figure out a way to pay for another bar exam. :|

Fuuuuuuuuuuu.

I may be doing the same thing, but at the place where I am doing my fellowship at when the money runs out soon. Sent my resume off to staffing agencies as alternative to make income, and feel shitty for having to do this after gaining the supposed coveted one year of experience. I can't even convince my school to extend my fellowship to help pay the remainder of my lease before I give up and return home to take another state bar exam. No wonder I want to jump off a bridge.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:44 am

splitsplat wrote:

As the post title says: No advice for 0/1/2Ls. Also, given your special blend of oblivious offensiveness, you're probably going to be that guy tempted to tell everyone your first semester grades. Don't be that guy either. Now off you go.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:20 am

gfunk01 wrote:I didn't spend anytime studying for the MPT other than watching the single video lecture on it and reading the common instructions. Not sure how you can study for it since it is closed universe (essentially the law school equivalent of a DBQ).

All I meant was to do a couple of them, just to get the timing down. The damn things suck if you're not prepped for them, and you'll leave easy points behind. If you feel comfortable doing them, they're a great way to get points.

Bru, gonna cross poast this over here for you:

Missouri's like the only UBE state that breaks down the MEE subjects, which is fine because apparently all the UBE states used the same MEE questions. The UBE's been somewhat formulaic with the MEE in the past. For July, 2-4 of the 6 questions were MBE/MEE questions. Civ Pro and Corps seem to show up somewhat often, but not as often as I originally thought.

Of course, that's all subject to change.

He's Missouri's UBE breakdowns:

July 2011: (Esy1 - Criminal Law; Esy2 - Trusts; Esy3 - Real Property; Esy4 - Federal Civil Procedure; Esy5 - Commercial Paper; Esy6 - Agency & Partnership)
Feb 2012: (Essay 1 - Contracts; Essay 2 - Decedents’ Estates; Essay 3 - Agency & Partnership; Essay 4 -Federal Civil Procedure; Essay 5 - Real Property; Essay 6 - Corporations)
July 2012: (Essay 1 - Criminal; Essay 2 - Family Law; Essay 3 - Secured Transactions; Essay 4 - Torts; Essay 5 - Civil Procedure; Essay 6 - Decedents’ Estates)
Feb 2013: (Essay 1 - Real Property; Essay 2 - Contracts; Essay 3 - Constitutional Law; Essay 4 - Agency & Partnership; Essay 5 - Evidence; Essay 6 - Negotiable Instruments)
July 2013: (Essay 1 Fed.Civil Pro; Essay Agency and Torts; Essay 3 Evidence; Essay 4 Corporations Essay 5 Contracts; Essay 6 Estates) (Can't find the official link)

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:04 am

Bikeflip wrote:
gfunk01 wrote:I didn't spend anytime studying for the MPT other than watching the single video lecture on it and reading the common instructions. Not sure how you can study for it since it is closed universe (essentially the law school equivalent of a DBQ).

All I meant was to do a couple of them, just to get the timing down. The damn things suck if you're not prepped for them, and you'll leave easy points behind. If you feel comfortable doing them, they're a great way to get points.

Bru, gonna cross poast this over here for you:

Missouri's like the only UBE state that breaks down the MEE subjects, which is fine because apparently all the UBE states used the same MEE questions. The UBE's been somewhat formulaic with the MEE in the past. For July, 2-4 of the 6 questions were MBE/MEE questions. Civ Pro and Corps seem to show up somewhat often, but not as often as I originally thought.

Of course, that's all subject to change.

He's Missouri's UBE breakdowns:

July 2011: (Esy1 - Criminal Law; Esy2 - Trusts; Esy3 - Real Property; Esy4 - Federal Civil Procedure; Esy5 - Commercial Paper; Esy6 - Agency & Partnership)
Feb 2012: (Essay 1 - Contracts; Essay 2 - Decedents’ Estates; Essay 3 - Agency & Partnership; Essay 4 -Federal Civil Procedure; Essay 5 - Real Property; Essay 6 - Corporations)
July 2012: (Essay 1 - Criminal; Essay 2 - Family Law; Essay 3 - Secured Transactions; Essay 4 - Torts; Essay 5 - Civil Procedure; Essay 6 - Decedents’ Estates)
Feb 2013: (Essay 1 - Real Property; Essay 2 - Contracts; Essay 3 - Constitutional Law; Essay 4 - Agency & Partnership; Essay 5 - Evidence; Essay 6 - Negotiable Instruments)
July 2013: (Essay 1 Fed.Civil Pro; Essay Agency and Torts; Essay 3 Evidence; Essay 4 Corporations Essay 5 Contracts; Essay 6 Estates) (Can't find the official link)

Thanks flip, this is incredibly useful.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:21 am

HanShotFirst wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

Northwestern. Does that make things any more clear than they were 10 minutes ago?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:19 am

And my Vale induced depression has turned into Vale induced rage. I angrilly told a good friend over dinner why I'm fucking tired of every networking, cover letter, resume, volunteering, etc trick hasn't worked out for me. While I didn't go off on him, he understood. In his words, he could tell I was beyond determined. He may have a point. I going to start being more of an asshole about my job hunt. Beats being nice. Probably still fucked job wise, but at least I won't be whiny about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:48 am

I see a lot of people in the Vale who were decent performers (i.e., top third with law review, etc.) at middling schools (like T2s). But is anyone else in here (besides me) in the opposite situation? I went to a lower T14 but my grades were in the gutter (ETA: My GPA is still above 3.0, but not by a lot) and I didn't do a journal or moot court or really anything else of note. My school didn't publish ranks but I'm almost certainly in the bottom quarter of my class. Also, even though my school has a very good reputation, it was in a different part of the country from where I went to school want to practice (edit because I wrote this all groggy at 2 AM, oops). If I could do it again, I would have gone to the T25 state school, or taken another year or two off before LS to at least wind up at a different lower T14 that is in my part of the country.

Needless to say, I've also been in the vale since graduating although I currently have decent odds of starting a doc review job soon.

My question isn't really what do I do from here, but instead I'm mostly wondering what tends to happen to people who come out of T14s in the bottom quarter and if anyone else ITT is in the same boat.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I see a lot of people in the Vale who were decent performers (i.e., top third with law review, etc.) at middling schools (like T2s). But is anyone else in here (besides me) in the opposite situation? I went to a lower T14 but my grades were in the gutter and I didn't do a journal or moot court or really anything else of note. My school didn't publish ranks but I'm almost certainly in the bottom quarter of my class. Also, even though my school has a very good reputation, it was in a different part of the country from where I went to school. If I could do it again, I would have gone to the T25 state school, or taken another year or two off before LS to at least wind up at a different lower T14 that is in my part of the country.

Needless to say, I've also been in the vale since graduating although I currently have decent odds of starting a doc review job soon.

My question isn't really what do I do from here, but instead I'm mostly wondering what tends to happen to people who come out of T14s in the bottom quarter and if anyone else ITT is in the same boat.

I'm an honors graduate from Columbia still looking for employment with my fellowship coming to an end, and in all truth I have no idea what even happen to the people who did school funded fellowships. I spend most of my time looking for jobs, begging for work, and fantasizing about suicide.

bobtyme

Postby bobtyme » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I see a lot of people in the Vale who were decent performers (i.e., top third with law review, etc.) at middling schools (like T2s). But is anyone else in here (besides me) in the opposite situation? I went to a lower T14 but my grades were in the gutter and I didn't do a journal or moot court or really anything else of note. My school didn't publish ranks but I'm almost certainly in the bottom quarter of my class. Also, even though my school has a very good reputation, it was in a different part of the country from where I went to school. If I could do it again, I would have gone to the T25 state school, or taken another year or two off before LS to at least wind up at a different lower T14 that is in my part of the country.

I'm an honors graduate from Columbia still looking for employment with my fellowship coming to an end, and in all truth I have no idea what even happen to the people who did school funded fellowships. I spend most of my time looking for jobs, begging for work, and fantasizing about suicide.

Are you just being picky?

bobtyme

Postby bobtyme » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:33 pm

You know what's interesting about all this? You're depressed because you don't have a job. (Which happened to me for a year after graduating.) and then you get a law job and get depressed about how boring it is and how much it sucks. #cantwin

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:36 pm

bobtyme wrote:You know what's interesting about all this? You're depressed because you don't have a job. (Which happened to me for a year after graduating.) and then you get a law job and get depressed about how boring it is and how much it sucks. #cantwin

please, tell us your fake backstory for the tenth time

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:39 pm

patogordo wrote:
bobtyme wrote:You know what's interesting about all this? You're depressed because you don't have a job. (Which happened to me for a year after graduating.) and then you get a law job and get depressed about how boring it is and how much it sucks. #cantwin

please, tell us your fake backstory for the tenth time

This +1.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:44 pm

Go away.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Are you able to do anything for your mental health? Is there no way Columbia will give you any funding at all? I know you have tried this, but I thought maybe there might be a slim chance.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:23 pm

bobtyme wrote:Are you just being picky?

bobtyme is taking a break until she can learn how to post helpfully in the Vale.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:31 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Bout to start volunteering with legal aid and trying to figure out a way to pay for another bar exam. :|

Fuuuuuuuuuuu.

Did you take a UBE state exam? I'm thinking of doing what you're doing if I don't have an offer come bar time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:46 pm

I am a T6 3L with a 3.06 and still in the vale.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:18 pm

robin600 wrote:

Fuuuuuuuuuuu.

Did you take a UBE state exam? I'm thinking of doing what you're doing if I don't have an offer come bar time.

No, I took an MBE/MEE state, but the neighboring states don't accept anything but concurrent MBE scores (if that) so I'm looking at taking the entire thing in a neighboring state.

On the bright side, got some decent networking contacts and a volunteering gig this week, so...yay, I guess?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:22 pm

NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Are you able to do anything for your mental health? Is there no way Columbia will give you any funding at all? I know you have tried this, but I thought maybe there might be a slim chance.

I've asked Columbia to extend my funding till the end of my lease which ends at the end of May. Haven't heard back, but my contact was pessimistic about my chances. These fellowships are only meant for a year, and it sounds like schools are starting to cut down on the number of fellowships they are giving out. I'm also past the 9/10 month marker for employment stat purposes.

My mental health is technically taken care of. I have a therapist plus medicine plus group. But I feel very defeated w/ the constant rejection letters and lack of anything definite for when my fellowship ends. Knowing people care for me has made me reevaluate suicide, but I still have fantasies about it, especially during these dry spells where haven't had any interviews in a while and have nothing lined up and an unsupportive work environment.

Return to “Legal Employment”