The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:26 pm

3Ls:

===================
First Year Associate-3L w/Ogletree Deakins (Birmingham) Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart (Birmingham, AL)
Posted: [redacted]
Division N/A Position Type J.D. Graduate
Desired Class Level(s) 3L
Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart (Birmingham, AL)
Employer Profile
Description

First Year Associate – 3L
Birmingham, AL 35203

Summary of Position:
As one of the nation’s largest labor and employment law firms, we represent employers in a broad range of workplace matters. Our clients include more than half of the Fortune 50 corporations, and some of Alabama’s largest employers. Our Birmingham office has one of the largest and most dynamic L&E practices in Alabama, and is expanding to meet client demands and for future growth. We feature a collaborative environment, top notch paralegals and support staff, and low turnover. We need a first year associate to work toward assuming a major role in litigation with extensive contact with client representatives and opposing counsel. We can provide multiple writing, publishing and speaking opportunities as experience merits.

We are fully committed to the importance of diversity within the legal profession, as well as all workplace environments and strongly encourage the interest of diverse candidates in the firm.

Requirements:
Candidates must have either prior human resources experience or labor and employment law firm experience. Candidates must have a demonstrated commitment and desire to practice labor and employment law. Excellent analytical and writing skills are required.

To apply for this position, please send your resume and writing sample to Sharon Wardrip at sharon.wardrip@ogletreedeakins.com
Geographic Preference
Alabama -- Birmingham
Practice Area(s)
Employment, Labor & Employment
Contact Information
Employer: Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart (Birmingham, AL)
Name: Unspecified
E-mail: unspecified122012@law.ua.edu
Address: 1819 Fifth Avenue North
One Federal Place, Suite 1000
Birmingham, Alabama

Apply until: January 10, 2013

=====================

Cobb County Staff Attorney Atlanta Legal Aid Society (Atlanta, GA)
Posted: [redacted]
Division N/A Geographic Preference Georgia -- Atlanta
Position Type J.D. Graduate
Atlanta Legal Aid Society (Atlanta, GA)
Employer Profile
Description

The Atlanta Legal Aid Society seeks a staff attorney to work in its Cobb County Office. The office is a branch of Atlanta Legal Aid Society and is housed in downtown area of Marietta. The staff is comprised of a managing attorney, a supervising attorney, four staff attorneys, a pro bono coordinator, and three support staff. The advocates represent low-income persons in a variety of civil legal matters, including domestic relations, housing, consumer, public benefits, education, and health law. The job requires client representation, community outreach, and participation in local bar and social service associations.

Qualifications: Qualified candidates must possess excellent legal writing, oral advocacy and work ethic. Communication and listening skills, ability to work in a team and alone, adaptability, and appreciation of diversity are required. A Georgia bar license or eligibility for the next exam is required. Demonstrated commitment to public service, participation in law school clinics, trial advocacy courses, familiarity with areas of poverty law, fluency in Spanish or an Asian language, and previous work with low-income persons is strongly preferred.

Terms: The salary for a licensed attorney is $42,500+, depending upon legal experience. The program provides generous fringe benefits, including paid holidays, vacation, sick, and paid parental leave (tied to accrued leave); health, life, and long and short-term disability insurance; partial payment for dependent and partner health insurance; a salary reduction option for a flexible spending account; educational loan reimbursement up to $600 per month (after a $65 deductible and set off of other loan reimbursement amounts); CLE expenses; and Georgia Bar dues.

Practice Area(s)
Public Interest and Public Service
Desired Class Level(s)
Recent Graduate, Alumni
Contact Information
Employer: Atlanta Legal Aid Society (Atlanta, GA)
Name: Cheri Tipton
Title: Deputy Director
Address: 151 Spring Street NW
Atlanta, GA
30303-2097 United States

Apply until: Jan 12, 2013

How To Apply
A complete application packet must include a letter of application, resume, recent writing sample that demonstrates your ability to perform legal research and analyze a fact pattern, the names and contact information (including e-mail addresses) of three references, and an official law school transcript. Please mail your application to Cheri Tipton, Deputy Director, Atlanta Legal Aid Society, Inc., 151 Spring Street, N.W., Atlanta, Georgia 30303. Your application will be acknowledged. No telephone calls please.

Requested Documents:

Resume
Cover Letter
Other Documents
Unofficial Transcript
Writing Sample

Note: A complete application packet must include a letter of application, resume, recent writing sample that demonstrates your ability to perform legal research and analyze a fact pattern, the names and contact information (including e-mail addresses) of three references, and an official law school transcript..

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:02 am

Apparently I'm not dead yet to my summer firm, they are just taking a fucking long time to decide on hiring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:35 pm

Is there anything in the Dallas market? Even in the lateral market, I see several job postings in the Houston area but the Dallas market seems dead. I'm kinda surprised given the overall economic strength of Texas relative to the rest of the country.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there anything in the Dallas market? Even in the lateral market, I see several job postings in the Houston area but the Dallas market seems dead. I'm kinda surprised given the overall economic strength of Texas relative to the rest of the country.

All I've seen was Fulbright a while back. I haven't seen any entry-level stuff in Houston.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:30 pm

Nothing on SMU's Symplicity, but should be in the coming months from what I hear.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:59 pm

Has anyone had any luck landing anything or at least something promising from informational interviews with non-big law people? I'm thinking smaller regional firms. I've heard this is the way to go on finding job openings, but I have yet to hear a success story.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had any luck landing anything or at least something promising from informational interviews with non-big law people? I'm thinking smaller regional firms. I've heard this is the way to go on finding job openings, but I have yet to hear a success story.

Did you go to undergrad or high school in the area? I've had a much higher success rate using them instead of law school alumni. I also went to a smaller school though so YMMV. No job offers because they don't know needs yet, but I went to lunch with a few and it was at least nice to get a free lunch and know some more people.

AMCD

Postby AMCD » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:49 am

Yes, I had luck. Sent out two letters and CVs to a couple of targeted practices--boutique. Received an associate position offer.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:46 pm

AMCD wrote:Yes, I had luck. Sent out two letters and CVs to a couple of targeted practices--boutique. Received an associate position offer.

Congratulations!

I find myself holding my breath for January the way I did waiting for OCI results to post 1L summer. Hope those small firms everyone talks about start opening the books.

Random resume question. I'm doing an internship for a judge this semester and am wondering how to put it on the resume. I would list it as work experience, but I already have two law firm clerkships as WE as well as my interesting pre-LS WE and am worried about having too much on the res (will probably add a publication come Feb/March). So, the internship: list it under my law school line in "Education" or as WE?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:31 pm

TTH wrote:I find myself holding my breath for January the way I did waiting for OCI results to post 1L summer. Hope those small firms everyone talks about start opening the books.

I want to believe so bad, but part of me is just too cynical.

Random resume question. I'm doing an internship for a judge this semester and am wondering how to put it on the resume. I would list it as work experience, but I already have two law firm clerkships as WE as well as my interesting pre-LS WE and am worried about having too much on the res (will probably add a publication come Feb/March). So, the internship: list it under my law school line in "Education" or as WE?

WE bro. It's definitely not not education.

I gotta line something up for the spring with a small firm or something. Need to get on that when I get back.

2LsAPlenty

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:42 pm

It will be interesting to see what opens up next semester and if the economy for attorneys really is better. Likely will be a mad scramble for these jobs in any event.

AMCD

Postby AMCD » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:01 am

Had lunch today with an attorney friend who told me her attorney friend just reported that when she advertised for a single associate position in her small immigration firm at the start of the month that she received 2,061 applications!!

An interesting point she made was that she first considered the applications sent in paper form via mail and not the e-submissions. When I sent out my couple of letters, both firms when interviewing me mentioned how much they appreciated the quality and content of my cover letter and resume ... and the good paper!! Seems these things don't entirely fall by the wayside.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:57 pm

AMCD wrote:Had lunch today with an attorney friend who told me her attorney friend just reported that when she advertised for a single associate position in her small immigration firm at the start of the month that she received 2,061 applications!!

An interesting point she made was that she first considered the applications sent in paper form via mail and not the e-submissions. When I sent out my couple of letters, both firms when interviewing me mentioned how much they appreciated the quality and content of my cover letter and resume ... and the good paper!! Seems these things don't entirely fall by the wayside.

Counterpoint: When you email your materials, they can be easily forwarded to the (likely several) parties who might want to review them. When you send materials on paper, they have to be copied before they can get to everyone who might want to see them. That step represents a barrier between you and getting a job. Why take the chance you might miss out on something because a staffer was too lazy to make copies?

AMCD

Postby AMCD » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:30 pm

Both of my paper copies resulted in interviews. Both interviews resulted in offers. That was my experience, and several other attorney friends (hiring partners) have mentioned the same thing. Just passing it along, that's all.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:40 am

I've mentioned it before, but I'm still at my 2L summer firm from which I was ITE no-offered. They said they'd like for me to stay on during the school year and hopefully their situation would change.

I'm probably going to meet with the hiring partner sometime next week to see what's up, and I'm not hopeful that anything's changing to my benefit. Would it be a good idea to try to find another small firm to get on with this semester in the hope that maybe they could pick me up after LS, or should I just ride it out here for the money (which isn't bad) and the continued networking?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:42 am

TTH wrote:I've mentioned it before, but I'm still at my 2L summer firm from which I was ITE no-offered. They said they'd like for me to stay on during the school year and hopefully their situation would change.

I'm probably going to meet with the hiring partner sometime next week to see what's up, and I'm not hopeful that anything's changing to my benefit. Would it be a good idea to try to find another small firm to get on with this semester in the hope that maybe they could pick me up after LS, or should I just ride it out here for the money (which isn't bad) and the continued networking?

Would you just be firebombing bridges with firm 1?

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:44 am

rad lulz wrote:
TTH wrote:I've mentioned it before, but I'm still at my 2L summer firm from which I was ITE no-offered. They said they'd like for me to stay on during the school year and hopefully their situation would change.

I don't think so. I think if I gave sufficient notice and explained to the hiring partner why I was leaving, she'd understand. My relationship with everyone here is pretty good.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:50 am

TTH wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

I don't think so. I think if I gave sufficient notice and explained to the hiring partner why I was leaving, she'd understand. My relationship with everyone here is pretty good.

I'd look before leaving, but if you find something better, and the above is true, then bail bro

Postby 20160810 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:49 pm

I'd be hesitant to bail due to not wanting to burn bridges, but if they've already told you you're not getting an offer, they can't really blame you for wanting to look out for number one.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:09 pm

SBL wrote:I'd be hesitant to bail due to not wanting to burn bridges, but if they've already told you you're not getting an offer, they can't really blame you for wanting to look out for number one.

The exact same situation happened to me. I'd be (and was) looking as soon as I got the news. No bridges were burned. They understand that ITE you gotta look out for #1 (which is what the firm is doing in this situation anyway).

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:14 pm

Can you make both work for the semester? I'm currently at 2 mid-sized firms and despite my complaints (found earlier ITT) I think I'm staying on at both for second semester too. The way I see it is if any position opens up at either, I don't want them to even consider interviewing other people if possible. I want them to know I'm a smart, chill dude who works his ass off that's already proven himself to be competent with the entry-level associate work. The semester will likely suck ass, but it's better than not maximizing your chances.

Also school + 2 jobs + journal makes it easy to paint yourself as someone who not only can handle long hours, but seeks them out, during interviews.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:28 pm

beach_terror wrote:

Can you make both work for the semester? I'm currently at 2 mid-sized firms and despite my complaints (found earlier ITT) I think I'm staying on at both for second semester too. The way I see it is if any position opens up at either, I don't want them to even consider interviewing other people if possible. I want them to know I'm a smart, chill dude who works his ass off that's already proven himself to be competent with the entry-level associate work. The semester will likely suck ass, but it's better than not maximizing your chances.

Also school + 2 jobs + journal makes it easy to paint yourself as someone who not only can handle long hours, but seeks them out, during interviews.

Between school, one job, journal, and a preggo wife, I don't really have the hours. Good advice, though.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:54 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
SBL wrote:I'd be hesitant to bail due to not wanting to burn bridges, but if they've already told you you're not getting an offer, they can't really blame you for wanting to look out for number one.

The exact same situation happened to me. I'd be (and was) looking as soon as I got the news. No bridges were burned. They understand that ITE you gotta look out for #1 (which is what the firm is doing in this situation anyway).

I haven't forgot your PM. I'll get back to you.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:46 pm

The firm I got no offered from sent me a New Years update. Lawl thx

2LsAPlenty

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:55 pm

Well at least they remembered you. I hope they spelled your name correctly.

It is hard getting motivated for the last semester. Ready for career services seminars for landing that job as a 3L? I am sure there will be lots of wisdom and few will show up to confirm they don't have a job. Seems like a perverted cycle. I know there has to be plenty of people other than the top few schools that are embarassed they don't have something lined up yet.

Return to “Legal Employment”