The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lbg0125
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:25 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby lbg0125 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:35 am

spleenworship wrote:
Sorry man. Keep the chin up.


aardvark87 wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Puts my whining in perspective. Keep on grinding, it'll break eventually.


Thanks, guys.

Also, figured I might as well use my username if I'm going to participate - also don't really think anybody will know me in real life on this board.

I'm taking the NY and NJ bars in 2 weeks - can't wait till that's over, and hopefully it'll open up some more opportunities.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:42 am

sparty99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To the recent JAG Anon:

I know exactly how you feel (except that I was never accepted to JAG, so that makes the decision harder for you). I always wanted to do JAG and applied as a 1L for the Air Force ROTC JAG program. Problem was that I was having significant anxiety issues that were either caused by law school or simply coincided with it. In any event, my doctor recommended medication but I said no only because of my desire to get into JAG. Well it kept getting worse and I finally bit the bullet...and now I feel great. I have been taking the meds for two years and I still feel like my old self but with less stress and worry.

Every so often I kick myself making JAG impossible, but then I remember what would probably happen if I came off the medication. It sucks not being able to do something, but you can't sacrifice your well being for a job. Plus, mental health is no different than any other health problem -- nobody would fault you for not being able to be a fighter pilot because of bad eyesight.

I know your decision must be harder because you were already accepted, but you need to do what is best for your health. Good luck!


What's so great about JAG? I mean, you do get deployed.......to Iraq. Or Afghanistan. Jobless or not, I don't think I could do that. The Anon guy should just chill. If he is sweating bullets now, imagine what Iraq would be like. Consider non-jobs for the time being.


Shut up, you ass. The person (and I think I am pretty sure who you are, PM if you want to chat ever) is obviously having legitimate medical issues and saying "just chill" may be the dumbest thing I've read all day.

Having to choose between a possible job that you really want and your own well-being is a horrible choice. It's not helped by people being a dumbfuck to him/her when all (s)he needs is some people who understand what (s)he is going through.

TL; DR - shut up, you ass.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby sparty99 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:30 am

kalvano wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To the recent JAG Anon:

I know exactly how you feel (except that I was never accepted to JAG, so that makes the decision harder for you). I always wanted to do JAG and applied as a 1L for the Air Force ROTC JAG program. Problem was that I was having significant anxiety issues that were either caused by law school or simply coincided with it. In any event, my doctor recommended medication but I said no only because of my desire to get into JAG. Well it kept getting worse and I finally bit the bullet...and now I feel great. I have been taking the meds for two years and I still feel like my old self but with less stress and worry.

Every so often I kick myself making JAG impossible, but then I remember what would probably happen if I came off the medication. It sucks not being able to do something, but you can't sacrifice your well being for a job. Plus, mental health is no different than any other health problem -- nobody would fault you for not being able to be a fighter pilot because of bad eyesight.

I know your decision must be harder because you were already accepted, but you need to do what is best for your health. Good luck!


What's so great about JAG? I mean, you do get deployed.......to Iraq. Or Afghanistan. Jobless or not, I don't think I could do that. The Anon guy should just chill. If he is sweating bullets now, imagine what Iraq would be like. Consider non-jobs for the time being.


Shut up, you ass. The person (and I think I am pretty sure who you are, PM if you want to chat ever) is obviously having legitimate medical issues and saying "just chill" may be the dumbest thing I've read all day.

Having to choose between a possible job that you really want and your own well-being is a horrible choice. It's not helped by people being a dumbfuck to him/her when all (s)he needs is some people who understand what (s)he is going through.

TL; DR - shut up, you ass.


Look you dumbfuck, I was merely telling the anon guy that being in Jag is not all that. People who return (if they even return) suffer from serious medical issues. It is an eight year commitment and you are usually placed in middle of nowehre, America. Perhaps if you weren't so geared on being a twat, you would have seen the usefuleness of my post. #Douche.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:54 am

sparty99 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To the recent JAG Anon:

I know exactly how you feel (except that I was never accepted to JAG, so that makes the decision harder for you). I always wanted to do JAG and applied as a 1L for the Air Force ROTC JAG program. Problem was that I was having significant anxiety issues that were either caused by law school or simply coincided with it. In any event, my doctor recommended medication but I said no only because of my desire to get into JAG. Well it kept getting worse and I finally bit the bullet...and now I feel great. I have been taking the meds for two years and I still feel like my old self but with less stress and worry.

Every so often I kick myself making JAG impossible, but then I remember what would probably happen if I came off the medication. It sucks not being able to do something, but you can't sacrifice your well being for a job. Plus, mental health is no different than any other health problem -- nobody would fault you for not being able to be a fighter pilot because of bad eyesight.

I know your decision must be harder because you were already accepted, but you need to do what is best for your health. Good luck!


What's so great about JAG? I mean, you do get deployed.......to Iraq. Or Afghanistan. Jobless or not, I don't think I could do that. The Anon guy should just chill. If he is sweating bullets now, imagine what Iraq would be like. Consider non-jobs for the time being.


Shut up, you ass. The person (and I think I am pretty sure who you are, PM if you want to chat ever) is obviously having legitimate medical issues and saying "just chill" may be the dumbest thing I've read all day.

Having to choose between a possible job that you really want and your own well-being is a horrible choice. It's not helped by people being a dumbfuck to him/her when all (s)he needs is some people who understand what (s)he is going through.

TL; DR - shut up, you ass.


Look you dumbfuck, I was merely telling the anon guy that being in Jag is not all that. People who return (if they even return) suffer from serious medical issues. It is an eight year commitment and you are usually placed in middle of nowehre, America. Perhaps if you weren't so geared on being a twat, you would have seen the usefuleness of my post. #Douche.


(doesn't know shit about Jag and wants to be "helpful")

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22822
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:32 am

sparty99 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To the recent JAG Anon:

I know exactly how you feel (except that I was never accepted to JAG, so that makes the decision harder for you). I always wanted to do JAG and applied as a 1L for the Air Force ROTC JAG program. Problem was that I was having significant anxiety issues that were either caused by law school or simply coincided with it. In any event, my doctor recommended medication but I said no only because of my desire to get into JAG. Well it kept getting worse and I finally bit the bullet...and now I feel great. I have been taking the meds for two years and I still feel like my old self but with less stress and worry.

Every so often I kick myself making JAG impossible, but then I remember what would probably happen if I came off the medication. It sucks not being able to do something, but you can't sacrifice your well being for a job. Plus, mental health is no different than any other health problem -- nobody would fault you for not being able to be a fighter pilot because of bad eyesight.

I know your decision must be harder because you were already accepted, but you need to do what is best for your health. Good luck!


What's so great about JAG? I mean, you do get deployed.......to Iraq. Or Afghanistan. Jobless or not, I don't think I could do that. The Anon guy should just chill. If he is sweating bullets now, imagine what Iraq would be like. Consider non-jobs for the time being.


Shut up, you ass. The person (and I think I am pretty sure who you are, PM if you want to chat ever) is obviously having legitimate medical issues and saying "just chill" may be the dumbest thing I've read all day.

Having to choose between a possible job that you really want and your own well-being is a horrible choice. It's not helped by people being a dumbfuck to him/her when all (s)he needs is some people who understand what (s)he is going through.

TL; DR - shut up, you ass.


Look you dumbfuck, I was merely telling the anon guy that being in Jag is not all that. People who return (if they even return) suffer from serious medical issues. It is an eight year commitment and you are usually placed in middle of nowehre, America. Perhaps if you weren't so geared on being a twat, you would have seen the usefuleness of my post. #Douche.

Yes, because I'm sure the anon didn't look into what JAG entails at all and doesn't know any of that and doesn't legitimately want to do JAG despite (or because of) all those things. :roll: Don't judge what other people want just because you can't see yourself doing it.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby bjsesq » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:41 am

Sparty: I get your shtick. You want to be the worldly "tough love" guy who spits reality when everyone else is feeling sorry for themselves. It isn't working. Shut your fucking mouth and leave. Nobody wants you in this thread.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:16 pm

bjsesq wrote:Sparty: I get your shtick. You want to be the worldly "tough love" guy who spits reality when everyone else is feeling sorry for themselves. It isn't working. Shut your fucking mouth and leave. Nobody wants you in this thread.


I'm honestly surprised he (or she? probably not) still makes the time to read this thread and post.

User avatar
MONSTERSQUAD
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby MONSTERSQUAD » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:58 pm

sparty99 wrote:What's so great about JAG? I mean, you do get deployed.......to Iraq. Or Afghanistan. Jobless or not, I don't think I could do that.

Notbad.jpg if troll. Fucking lol yaomingface.jpg if serious.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12525
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jessuf » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know we pimp the BYU board a lot and it's great but I found something that I don't think has been mentioned yet. Most of the schools submit a pdf once a month but Indiana Law allows you to login to their symplicity and check listings daily ,which is really cool on their part. Any other schools do this?

Link: https://law-indiana-csm.symplicity.com/students/

Login: guest@indiana.edu

Password: password

This is asking for a PIN when I try to sign in.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:41 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know we pimp the BYU board a lot and it's great but I found something that I don't think has been mentioned yet. Most of the schools submit a pdf once a month but Indiana Law allows you to login to their symplicity and check listings daily ,which is really cool on their part. Any other schools do this?

Link: https://law-indiana-csm.symplicity.com/students/

Login: guest@indiana.edu

Password: password

This is asking for a PIN when I try to sign in.


Same, and this message appears:

You have not logged in from using this device before. Please enter your PIN below to verfy your identity. If access to this device is limited, (not a shared computer), you may enter a device name below and skip this step in the future.



ETA: Holy fuck, the PIN's 1234.

Image

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby NYstate » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anon from last night, non-suicidal.

Waiting at student health and counseling to talk to someone and get some kind of anxiolytic. I've had such a day. My plane flight to one of my interviews got cancelled and I ended up screaming "fuck you!" over and over again into the phone at a computer.

So yeah, it's best I'm here.

Good for you. Hope it helps quickly. I know that when I was dealing with anxiety and depression I'd shriek obscenities at, well, just about anything. (Other drivers, my cats, the shower...you get the idea.)


Ok. So thanks to clonazopam I slept without whiskey for the first time in two weeks. No nightmares either. And while the Wellbutrin takes a little while to hit full potency, I'd say I do feel better today. I'm getting work done and haven't had more than a few twinges of anxiety this morning. I might even study for my job interview tonight.

Better living through pharmaceuticals.


You made the right decision without question. It takes courage to get help.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12525
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jessuf » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:48 pm

It just asked me to change the password when I signed in, so I made it "password"

Just lol

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:48 pm

Symplicity has been fucked all day. I also may have been the one who made the pin 1234.

It never asked for this crap (my school or Indiana) the 475 times I checked yesterday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:36 pm

I got asked to enter a pin in my simplicity too for GW and also identify the computer that I was using for future reference.

IMHO it is a security response to you folks sharing log in info.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:53 pm

I have two interviews in my target city tomorrow. Both for non-law jobs, but one is JD "strongly" preferred, and the other gives a salary bump for JD or MBA. Both would be really great... IT Consulting (I really love tech, and almost got a computer engineering degree before I switched to finance) and contracts management. Wish me luck!

muskies970
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby muskies970 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:00 pm

chrisbru wrote:I have two interviews in my target city tomorrow. Both for non-law jobs, but one is JD "strongly" preferred, and the other gives a salary bump for JD or MBA. Both would be really great... IT Consulting (I really love tech, and almost got a computer engineering degree before I switched to finance) and contracts management. Wish me luck!


Good luck bro, you got it!

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:21 pm

muskies970 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:I have two interviews in my target city tomorrow. Both for non-law jobs, but one is JD "strongly" preferred, and the other gives a salary bump for JD or MBA. Both would be really great... IT Consulting (I really love tech, and almost got a computer engineering degree before I switched to finance) and contracts management. Wish me luck!


Good luck bro, you got it!

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby sparty99 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Symplicity has been fucked all day. I also may have been the one who made the pin 1234.

It never asked for this crap (my school or Indiana) the 475 times I checked yesterday.


All of the Symplicity programs now ask for a PIN effective today.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:03 am

Vale bros, I'm cracking. I'm hellishly defeated, and I'm feeling super alone in my plight (even though I know I'm not). I'm not gonna do anything dumb, but I sure as fuck don't wanna get out of bed tomorrow. Help bros.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby NYstate » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:31 am

Bikeflip wrote:Vale bros, I'm cracking. I'm hellishly defeated, and I'm feeling super alone in my plight (even though I know I'm not). I'm not gonna do anything dumb, but I sure as fuck don't wanna get out of bed tomorrow. Help bros.


Keep posting about how you are doing. Can you do anything or go anywhere that can help change your state of mind?

You are in a tough spot. But you know you aren't on your own.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:13 am

Bikeflip wrote:Vale bros, I'm cracking. I'm hellishly defeated, and I'm feeling super alone in my plight (even though I know I'm not). I'm not gonna do anything dumb, but I sure as fuck don't wanna get out of bed tomorrow. Help bros.


Ill admit I was the anon from earlier. Better living through pharmaceuticals maybe? It worked for me. I'm getting out of bed on time. I have some hope for getting a job, and my anxiety is halved.

Just a thought. If you don't want to go pharmaceutical route, maybe counseling? Just someone to talk to can help.

Also... I know you know, but seriously, nobody is alone in the vale. And we're all gonna stick together and get jobs.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:02 am

Thanks bros. Personal shit before Vday, and I'm not feeling great as you can imagine. I did the better living through chemicals route in law school, and I'm not opposed to doing it now. Insurance and money issues though.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:21 am

Bikeflip wrote:Thanks bros. Personal shit before Vday, and I'm not feeling great as you can imagine. I did the better living through chemicals route in law school, and I'm not opposed to doing it now. Insurance and money issues though.


Medicaid?

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:15 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:Thanks bros. Personal shit before Vday, and I'm not feeling great as you can imagine. I did the better living through chemicals route in law school, and I'm not opposed to doing it now. Insurance and money issues though.


Medicaid?



Make too much to qualify. DAT HOLE.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby bjsesq » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:07 pm

Bikeflip wrote:Vale bros, I'm cracking. I'm hellishly defeated, and I'm feeling super alone in my plight (even though I know I'm not). I'm not gonna do anything dumb, but I sure as fuck don't wanna get out of bed tomorrow. Help bros.


You just have to keep trying. I know how shitty this is to here, but it took me damn near 1000 apps through a combination of targeted apps, mass mails, and job sites as well as reaching out to friends to get here. If relocating to SoDak is an option, I could do some reaching out here for you.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.