The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jaydizzle

Silver

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by jaydizzle » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi I am wondering if anyone knows what positions JDs should be applying for when they apply for positions at big 4 firms(other than tax)? There seems to be a plethora of positions shown on their websites.

Also, is it frowned upon if you apply for more than one position in the same big 4 firm?
I'm also interested in this. I am also wondering if there are any less selective consulting firms maybe like Accenture or Booz Allen where there are jobs a JD can apply for. I am basically open to applying to any kind of job with a master degree level pay.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:03 pm

jaydizzle wrote: I'm also interested in this. I am also wondering if there are any less selective consulting firms maybe like Accenture or Booz Allen where there are jobs a JD can apply for. I am basically open to applying to any kind of job with a master degree level pay.
If you're class of 2014, you're probably too late for this career path. I had a screener with Accenture a couple weeks ago and they were looking for their January 2015 class.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:06 pm

k
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:19 pm

rad lulz wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
jaydizzle wrote: I'm also interested in this. I am also wondering if there are any less selective consulting firms maybe like Accenture or Booz Allen where there are jobs a JD can apply for. I am basically open to applying to any kind of job with a master degree level pay.
If you're class of 2014, you're probably too late for this career path. I had a screener with Accenture a couple weeks ago and they were looking for their January 2015 class.
This

Same w big 4, generally
OP here, still wondering if you guys have any input on what kind of positions we should be applying for? I am taking the bar exam this month so I'm hoping they may be hiring if they didn't fill all the positions.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:41 pm

chrisbru wrote:
:( Hmm there must be some other kind of positions with hope. I wonder if I don't line anything after I take the bar exam in July if there were be some hiring to a December or January class. I guess I really just screwed myself. I'm struggling finding things to apply for that require a law degree or just even prefer it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:33 pm

jaydizzle wrote:I'm struggling finding things to apply for that require a law degree or just even prefer it.

Welcome to 3L. Have you looked at the BYU job bank?

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:46 pm

Just applied for an HR job. :|

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:08 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:I'm struggling finding things to apply for that require a law degree or just even prefer it.

Is this something everyone has universal access to?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:10 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:

Login information for the BYU job bank is listed in the OP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wavygirl12

New

Post by wavygirl12 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:11 pm

For anyone admitted to IL bar:

Associate Attorney
Mudd Law Offices
(773) 588-5410

Small, exciting law firm with national practice on cutting-edge emerging technology and Internet issues seeks a full-time associate with 0-1 years of experience. We need a motivated individual to join our team and work to provide exceptional representation to our clients. Our practice is predominantly litigation based. As such, the position will involve exposure and work in both state and federal courts. That being said, the position will also involve exposure to transactional work and intellectual property issues. There may be document review, research, drafting, collaboration, appearing in court, and other related matters. The position requires someone interested in technology as well as at least one other different area of the law.

The position is full-time, salaried. This means that while the associate will be expected to normal work "face-time" hours (9 to 6), the associate will also be expected to work until the assignment has been completed as assigned.

This is not a six-figure position. Though we do not offer the same salaries as the larger firms in the Chicago area, we provide immediate hands on experience to varied aspects of extremely interesting areas of the law. Moreover, we emphasize a team environment that serves to produce a creative and productive work environment in which a young associate can grow and assume responsibility as capability is demonstrated.

You must have exceptional communication and writing skills that can be demonstrated in interviews and in writing samples. You must be superb at research for your experience. To apply for this position, you must also strive for excellence and perfection in the work you perform. You must be motivated, self-starting and able to work independently. At the same time, you absolutely must be a team player and work well with diverse personalities. You must have exceptional research skills and be familiar with Lexis. You must be able to work under pressure as well as accept criticism and direction as you grow in your legal profession.

You need not have post-graduate court experience. However, you should have some exposure to a courtroom and not be intimidated by any aspect thereof. You should have substantial writing experience. You should know what a motion happens to be. You should know the area of law we practice and why you want to practice in that area. You must submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample.

Social media experience will be a plus. Theoretical ponderings on the future of law and technology will be welcomed.

Illinois bar license required. A license in an additional state other than Illinois an added bonus.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:42 pm

Bedsole wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:

Login information for the BYU job bank is listed in the OP.
Just tried the student one, but it says incorrect login. Maybe I am accessing the wrong one? I guess I am a total newb. I should have seen this on the main page earlier.

EDIT: Just realized I was trying to use the wrong one. Thanks!

jess

Post by jess » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:14 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:10 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Just applied for an HR job. :|
Did you apply through a listing? If you get the job, at least you can be on the sought-after end for once :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:24 pm

I'm a '13 grad who finally got a job offer and accepted a job at a small company leading their quality and compliance group. The job does not require an attorney, but it is "J.D. preferred" since they prefer someone with experience interpreting regulations and such. I think I will enjoy the work, and I think it can lead to my ultimate goal of an in-house attorney position in the future.

However, now I am finally getting responses from a few jobs I applied to months ago. One in particular is the Public Defender's Office. I had a brief interview with them a few weeks back, and they just let me know that they want to bring me in for a second interview. I'm not sure what I should do. I really want a job that showcases by bar admission and everything I worked so hard for, but at this point the logistics of finding a time to interview around my new job would be difficult. (I just started and don't want to take time off) I really enjoy litigation, but I would also be taking about a 15K pay cut to join the public defender. I am further concerned about being limited to criminal law once my time with the PD is over. I am interested in criminal law, but I don't know if it is something I want to do forever.

Am I better off pursuing the "law job" at the Public Defender for much less money? Or should I stay with my current job for a while before looking for an attorney job that is more business law related?

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:17 pm

a male human wrote:
Did you apply through a listing? If you get the job, at least you can be on the sought-after end for once :P
Yeah, through a listing. Had to reframe my cover letter with lots of buzzwords. But there's no freaking openings for recent grads here...ragefaces

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:06 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:44 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
a male human wrote:
Yeah, through a listing. Had to reframe my cover letter with lots of buzzwords. But there's no freaking openings for recent grads here...ragefaces
I'm doing a phone call this week to essentially be a salesman for a consulting network to law firms. CCN grad

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a '13 grad who finally got a job offer and accepted a job at a small company leading their quality and compliance group. The job does not require an attorney, but it is "J.D. preferred" since they prefer someone with experience interpreting regulations and such. I think I will enjoy the work, and I think it can lead to my ultimate goal of an in-house attorney position in the future.

However, now I am finally getting responses from a few jobs I applied to months ago. One in particular is the Public Defender's Office. I had a brief interview with them a few weeks back, and they just let me know that they want to bring me in for a second interview. I'm not sure what I should do. I really want a job that showcases by bar admission and everything I worked so hard for, but at this point the logistics of finding a time to interview around my new job would be difficult. (I just started and don't want to take time off) I really enjoy litigation, but I would also be taking about a 15K pay cut to join the public defender. I am further concerned about being limited to criminal law once my time with the PD is over. I am interested in criminal law, but I don't know if it is something I want to do forever.

Am I better off pursuing the "law job" at the Public Defender for much less money? Or should I stay with my current job for a while before looking for an attorney job that is more business law related?
I'd say u find the time to interview if you can do it without pissing off your current employer and then see which one you feel more comfortable at. If the interview and the tour of the office make u think one job is better than the other, go with that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:21 pm

rad lulz wrote: If being limited to criminal law is a concern I don't think you'll be limited

Pd is good experience for trial or other public interest

Whether you want to take the pay cut is a personal decision
I'm the anon with the PD dilemma. Thanks for the advice. I do think it will be great experience, but I'm in a smaller market where the pay is barely 40K. I already thought I was getting paid a small amount, so taking the cut is hard to do. As you said, it's a personal decision. It's a tough one. I hope I don't sound shallow. I just don't want to be poor...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:35 pm

rad lulz wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
This

Same w big 4, generally
This is straight up wrong - I got my offer after taking the bar in August - the hiring is just on an as needed basis with most Big 4 firms for JD positions, unless they have a formal recruiting process set up (most schools don't). The positions where JDs have a competitive advantage are financial regulatory consulting positions. However, there is no "JD preferred" hiring going on and you have to really stand out from an experience prospective to compete with MBAs (i.e. regulatory or financial sector experience).

I would look at E&Y and PwC - their FS Regulatory practices are top notch and seem to be winning a lot of engagements related to Dodd-Frank work. KPMG I never really hear about and Deloitte FS is great too, but I think they don't tap into law schools for hiring (shot in the dark pretty much).

Also, do not just apply online, the HR at these places gets way too many resumes to pick you out of a pool of thousands, you NEED to get a referral from the group you desire to even have a shot at getting an interview. This means you gotta network within the firm you are trying to get into. Hope this helps.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:11 pm

Someone mentioned Accenture as a "less competitive" consulting firm - not sure where that idea is coming from, it's arguably the most competitive/prestigious on the west coast. An analyst or associate position at Accenture (or Booz for that matter) will still require stellar academic/professional credentials

(not a 3L yet, but I did work in consulting before coming to law school so I have some experience with the game)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a '13 grad who finally got a job offer and accepted a job at a small company leading their quality and compliance group. The job does not require an attorney, but it is "J.D. preferred" since they prefer someone with experience interpreting regulations and such. I think I will enjoy the work, and I think it can lead to my ultimate goal of an in-house attorney position in the future.

You will not be limited to criminal law if you lateral in under 4 years. I have had at least a dozen attorneys (including former DAs/PDs who lateraled to firms) tell me that 4 years is the magic number where you get stuck in your practice group. The PDs office provides a lot of experience that can be transferred to other areas of law, especially litigation.

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:32 am

Interview with another firm on Friday. Uncharacteristically nervous, bros.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:02 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Interview with another firm on Friday. Uncharacteristically nervous, bros.

Good luck, and breathe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:39 pm

Applying only to PI jobs and not a single thing has come through man. I just got rejected from an agency that asked for my references (they didn't call them) and I have 4 internships in the field. I'm about ready to just give up!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”