The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kronk

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Kronk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:28 pm

Also just saw boo's post. I wish you the fucking best, my dude.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:47 pm

Kronk wrote:I have 2 questions that have undoubtedly been asked before but:

1) If you just get a name / contact info of someone (e.g. the name of a county attorney that makes hiring decisions in an office near you) from a contact but there is no open position at the office, is there a not-so-awkward way to send that email that just says "hey, I exist, I'm going to be looking for a job soon, someone recommended I get my name out there and email you"?

What I've found to work well is putting "Referred by [contact]" in the subject line. Then set up the email to basically ask for an informational interview. Mention again the contacts name, and why he felt you should reach out to that particular person. Is t a practice area or geographic area you could talk about,etc?
I'd bring up the job situation at the end of the meeting. ("Will your firm be hiring? Do you know anyone who is?")
Good luck!

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:13 pm

Kronk wrote:I have 2 questions that have undoubtedly been asked before but:

1) If you just get a name / contact info of someone (e.g. the name of a county attorney that makes hiring decisions in an office near you) from a contact but there is no open position at the office, is there a not-so-awkward way to send that email that just says "hey, I exist, I'm going to be looking for a job soon, someone recommended I get my name out there and email you"?

2) Have we decided it's credited to apply for jobs that list requirements that you don't necessarily have (e.g. "working knowledge of (insert procedural rules for specific court here")?

Definitely apply even if you don't have all the requirements. Often the requirements are more like a wish list anyway.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:59 am

Got rejected from a firm job after making it to the second interview. They were great and I would have loved that job but at least they bothered to give me a concrete and 100% legitimate reason for why they went a different direction, so I feel less bad.

On the downside, I have no leads right now. Super awkward networking is my lifeline at the moment. I did set a deadline and make a plan regarding taking another bar exam, which made me feel a little less useless...

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:05 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Got rejected from a firm job after making it to the second interview. They were great and I would have loved that job but at least they bothered to give me a concrete and 100% legitimate reason for why they went a different direction, so I feel less bad.

On the downside, I have no leads right now. Super awkward networking is my lifeline at the moment. I did set a deadline and make a plan regarding taking another bar exam, which made me feel a little less useless...

I know that feel bro.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:Got rejected from a firm job after making it to the second interview. They were great and I would have loved that job but at least they bothered to give me a concrete and 100% legitimate reason for why they went a different direction, so I feel less bad.

I know that feel bro.

Sympathy fist bump bro.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:16 pm

Kronk wrote:Also just saw boo's post. I wish you the fucking best, my dude.

Missed it. Did Boo get a jerb?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:Any advice for getting one of these consulting positions? I'm not sure what the hiring schedule is like.

To be honest, I really don't know much about the hiring schedule. I just saw it on my school's simplicity page in November and applied. I think most consulting positions require you to go through a business case study during the interview, which I would have never been able to do well in. This position, being more legal oriented, did not require a case study and I just focused on my ability to work in a team and succeed in a collaborative work environment throughout the interview. I think that's a major focus for them.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

I work at a Big 4 consulting firm, they are definitely great career options. Deloitte & PwC are two of the best outside of MBB and are crushing acquisitions right now to strategically align themselves moving forward. E&Y is also a good firm and KPMG is decent but a step down, from what I here. But pay is good at all of them and it is easy to move around if you get stagnated at one.

I can tell you that grades are not that important, and neither is where you went to law school - though I assume that it is an inverse relationship (if you went to a T-14, grades are meaningless pretty much - at lower ranked schools, they seem more important based on looking at resumes). You would have to position yourself as a securities/banking regulatory person or someone with finance experience. The only JDs I know at my firm are all in the regulatory or risk practice because that is where you are most marketable and all worked at financial regulators, investment banks, etc. The work varies from interesting an complex, to boring PMO shit, but the pay is decent (100K +) starting out and you will have a great name on the resume.

I think right now these are great options because all are trying to grow and are swallowing up smaller tier 2 strategy shops (PwC just acquired Booz / Deloitte acquired Monitor) and there is a lot of room for you to come in and crush it and move up fast.

Just my two sense...

Congrats on the offer man, what firm are you going to be working at?

I'm not the person whom you're addressing but I wanted to ask you something.

One of the Big 4 had an open posting on my school's Symplicity. I graduated from a top 30 in May and I went ahead and applied to it. (The office is in the same market as my law school if that matters.) The posting didn't require any experience in the practice area (tax), but at the same time I have no background in tax or finance. I didn't take any tax in law school, and my summer jobs were a mixed bag of different things, including one in regulatory compliance, but nothing finance, tax, or accounting-related. Do I have any kind of shot?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:58 pm

[quote]'m not the person whom you're addressing but I wanted to ask you something.

One of the Big 4 had an open posting on my school's Symplicity. I graduated from a top 30 in May and I went ahead and applied to it. (The office is in the same market as my law school if that matters.) The posting didn't require any experience in the practice area (tax), but at the same time I have no background in tax or finance. I didn't take any tax in law school, and my summer jobs were a mixed bag of different things, including one in regulatory compliance, but nothing finance, tax, or accounting-related. Do I have any kind of shot?/quote]

Probably not, those are highly specialized positions. I know one kid who got a job doing tax at a Big 4 in their M&A practice and he had done tax accounting in college and had an LLM in tax. I mean, it doesn't hurt to try, but you'll have a pretty hard time trying to explain why you want to work on tax at a big 4 with no experience in accounting, tax or finance. If anything, try to network into the consulting practices of Big 4, they seem to be hiring like crazy, and at my Big 4 firm they are targeting JDs more and more to come in and work on financial regulatory issues.

Btw, i know nothing about the audit, tax or w/e side of the Big 4 other than consulting, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:31 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:31 pm

I am a 3L law clerk at a big firm.(smaller office of a large firm) There are about 3 other law clerks. But I am the only 3L I think. But I did not summer there. They do not have summer associates. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with where this type of work can lead.

Can you leverage this into a position at other firms?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:30 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:59 pm

7 interviewers in one room with me for 3 hours. Some aggressive ass questioning. I walked out of there with no idea where I stand. I don't have a good feeling about this one, bros.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:00 am

bjsesq wrote:7 interviewers in one room with me for 3 hours. Some aggressive ass questioning. I walked out of there with no idea where I stand. I don't have a good feeling about this one, bros.

I know the feel bro. You don't know until you hear back. For the moment, congrats and have a beer.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:02 am

Bikeflip wrote:
bjsesq wrote:7 interviewers in one room with me for 3 hours. Some aggressive ass questioning. I walked out of there with no idea where I stand. I don't have a good feeling about this one, bros.

I know the feel bro. You don't know until you hear back. For the moment, congrats and have a beer.

Thanks, man. Either way, I guess they meet to discuss me tomorrow. Avoiding a long wait will help.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:15 am

Three hours? Jesus. The KGB is a non-profit?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:19 am

Bikeflip wrote:

This

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:16 am

Can't imagine they'd spend 3 hours on you if they weren't interested. Good luck, dude.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:16 am

Kronk wrote:Three hours? Jesus. The KGB is a non-profit?

Dude, this one guy seemed dedicated to asking the most offensive questions possible and insulting me. I thought he was trying to see how I would react. He is from one of the original big 8 finance firms and was a partner there, so he has to know what he was doing. I felt like I was being good cop-bad copped at one point.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:58 am

rad lulz wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:

This

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:49 pm

Any PMF semi-finalists in this joint?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:34 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Kronk wrote:Three hours? Jesus. The KGB is a non-profit?

Dude, this one guy seemed dedicated to asking the most offensive questions possible and insulting me. I thought he was trying to see how I would react. He is from one of the original big 8 finance firms and was a partner there, so he has to know what he was doing. I felt like I was being good cop-bad copped at one point.

Probably was good cop bad cop. I wouldn't be surprised if the bad cop's thought process was "I'm gonna be a dick to this law grad to see how he reacts. If he cries, don't hire him." You may not get the jerb, but at least you didn't cry. Small consolation, I know.

But that's what we're here for, to be the good brah cops.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:40 pm

I GOT THE FUCKING JOB. HOLY FUCKING JESUS MARY AND JOSEPH I GOT THE FUCKING JOB

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:44 pm

bjsesq wrote:I GOT THE FUCKING JOB. HOLY FUCKING JESUS MARY AND JOSEPH I GOT THE FUCKING JOB

CON FUCKIN GRATS BRO

that's awesome

Pretty stoked for you

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:48 pm

Last edited by sublime on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”