The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:Any advice for getting one of these consulting positions? I'm not sure what the hiring schedule is like.

To be honest, I really don't know much about the hiring schedule. I just saw it on my school's simplicity page in November and applied. I think most consulting positions require you to go through a business case study during the interview, which I would have never been able to do well in. This position, being more legal oriented, did not require a case study and I just focused on my ability to work in a team and succeed in a collaborative work environment throughout the interview. I think that's a major focus for them.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

I work at a Big 4 consulting firm, they are definitely great career options. Deloitte & PwC are two of the best outside of MBB and are crushing acquisitions right now to strategically align themselves moving forward. E&Y is also a good firm and KPMG is decent but a step down, from what I here. But pay is good at all of them and it is easy to move around if you get stagnated at one.

I can tell you that grades are not that important, and neither is where you went to law school - though I assume that it is an inverse relationship (if you went to a T-14, grades are meaningless pretty much - at lower ranked schools, they seem more important based on looking at resumes). You would have to position yourself as a securities/banking regulatory person or someone with finance experience. The only JDs I know at my firm are all in the regulatory or risk practice because that is where you are most marketable and all worked at financial regulators, investment banks, etc. The work varies from interesting an complex, to boring PMO shit, but the pay is decent (100K +) starting out and you will have a great name on the resume.

I think right now these are great options because all are trying to grow and are swallowing up smaller tier 2 strategy shops (PwC just acquired Booz / Deloitte acquired Monitor) and there is a lot of room for you to come in and crush it and move up fast.

Just my two sense...

Congrats on the offer man, what firm are you going to be working at?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:11 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anon b/c I've posted enough info on TLS to out myself, but I need to vent.

2013 grad. My school posted a follow up fellowship position, mainly to bolster their US News & NALP employment stats. I didn't get one. Very depressed that even my school doesn't want to employ me to game their numbers.

That's insane brother

What was the fellowship?

Definitely rankings gaming. Coming up on 9 months post grad

The school has a part-time fellowship for any non-profit or government agency that will take me. I'm a part of that fellowship, but it's one of those $20/hr for 10 hrs/wk fellowship. This "game the rankings fellowship" was for FT work $30-35,000 at my non-profit or government agency. Not great, but at least I could have gotten a year of experience.

worldtraveler wrote:Do you have contact with any of your profs from law school? Some of them hire post-grad research assistants and there might be a position for you. It's not amazing, but better than the vale.

It's a decent idea, but I'm not in the same area as my law school.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:25 pm

bjsesq wrote:3rd round of interviews for a non profit. Hold your breath, fuckers.

Dude, I want you to get this so badly it hurts.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:30 pm

Bikeflip wrote:I want you to get this so badly it hurts.

He meant figuratively hold your breach mang

Srsly though Bjs hoping you get it man

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:32 pm

The good thoughts are appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:29 pm

Got rejected from another job without an interview. I will never forgive my summer firm for no offering me...fucking assholes. :lol:

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:10 pm

bjsesq wrote:The good thoughts are appreciated.

Holy crap, I hope you get this job, bro. GET IT BJS

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:25 pm

bjsesq wrote:3rd round of interviews for a non profit. Hold your breath, fuckers.

Hoping you get this man, you've had quite a long run at this. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:Any advice for getting one of these consulting positions? I'm not sure what the hiring schedule is like.

To be honest, I really don't know much about the hiring schedule. I just saw it on my school's simplicity page in November and applied. I think most consulting positions require you to go through a business case study during the interview, which I would have never been able to do well in. This position, being more legal oriented, did not require a case study and I just focused on my ability to work in a team and succeed in a collaborative work environment throughout the interview. I think that's a major focus for them.

I work at a Big 4 consulting firm, they are definitely great career options. Deloitte & PwC are two of the best outside of MBB and are crushing acquisitions right now to strategically align themselves moving forward. E&Y is also a good firm and KPMG is decent but a step down, from what I here. But pay is good at all of them and it is easy to move around if you get stagnated at one.

I can tell you that grades are not that important, and neither is where you went to law school - though I assume that it is an inverse relationship (if you went to a T-14, grades are meaningless pretty much - at lower ranked schools, they seem more important based on looking at resumes). You would have to position yourself as a securities/banking regulatory person or someone with finance experience. The only JDs I know at my firm are all in the regulatory or risk practice because that is where you are most marketable and all worked at financial regulators, investment banks, etc. The work varies from interesting an complex, to boring PMO shit, but the pay is decent (100K +) starting out and you will have a great name on the resume.

I think right now these are great options because all are trying to grow and are swallowing up smaller tier 2 strategy shops (PwC just acquired Booz / Deloitte acquired Monitor) and there is a lot of room for you to come in and crush it and move up fast.

Just my two sense...

Thanks I appreciate it! I will be working at EY.

Have you received any opportunities to move to big law or have you seen people in your group move to big law after a couple years of consulting?

I am hoping to lateral to big law, if possible, after a couple years.

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:03 am

rad lulz wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
rad lulz wrote:What yr are you

A 1L

In that case, wrong thread brah

No advice for 1Ls ITT

Is it relevant that a different poster answered?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:09 am

a male human wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
rad lulz wrote:What yr are you

A 1L

In that case, wrong thread brah

No advice for 1Ls ITT

Is it relevant that a different poster answered?

No, because Bedsole isn't a 1L and Insanity is. Great sympathies with their current dilemma, but this isn't the right thread.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got rejected from another job without an interview. I will never forgive my summer firm for no offering me...fucking assholes. :lol:

It's time to forget about your old firm, man.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:45 am

sparty99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got rejected from another job without an interview. I will never forgive my summer firm for no offering me...fucking assholes. :lol:

Yeah, I know, but boy did I get screwed. It's not affecting my job search (non-existent at the moment), but I get so irritated thinking how much less worry I'd have if I didn't get fucked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Just my two sense...

Thanks I appreciate it! I will be working at EY.

Have you received any opportunities to move to big law or have you seen people in your group move to big law after a couple years of consulting?

I am hoping to lateral to big law, if possible, after a couple years.

I have heard of a few people doing it that were the year before me, but most don't. I think a lot of people don't want to though. We have former FINRA and SEC Counsel that are managers and directors who both turned down big law jobs to come to Big 4. I think the pay is roughly equal at the manager level and better at the director level.

I know that I have started looking into re-networking into big law, but only at specific firms that do exactly the type of law I would want to do and have good cultures. I think if anything, a year of consulting would be ok to make the switch, but after that you may not be able to because where would a firm place you, as a first year?

Can I ask why you wish to lateral to big law? I can tell you that at a senior consultant/associate level, the pay isn't as good, but you actually have a life, so right now i'll take a 40K shaving off salary to be able to enjoy my free time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:59 am

I just got an offer as a consultant in the international tax group (not at a Big 4, but pretty close) and can share my experience with anyone who is also looking to go a similar path.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Yeah, I know, but boy did I get screwed. It's not affecting my job search (non-existent at the moment), but I get so irritated thinking how much less worry I'd have if I didn't get fucked.

I can't even be angry any more because I was never given a real reason and the circumstances were pretty unusual, but now that I'm starting to look again finally after deciding I might still want law, I've found that there are still interviews to be had, we'll see how they pan out though...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:52 pm

I am extremely interested in working for one of the big consulting firms and I am wondering if you guys can elaborate on what kind of positions JDs should be applying to? I have looked at their websites and there are just too many positions and it is hard for me to know what would be the right fit.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am extremely interested in working for one of the big consulting firms and I am wondering if you guys can elaborate on what kind of positions JDs should be applying to? I have looked at their websites and there are just too many positions and it is hard for me to know what would be the right fit.

I also would like to know this. Also, for those of us not interested in tax any good options? I have a business background from undergrad as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

I can't even be angry any more because I was never given a real reason and the circumstances were pretty unusual, but now that I'm starting to look again finally after deciding I might still want law, I've found that there are still interviews to be had, we'll see how they pan out though...

Good luck. I hope we make it.

I have a question, though. How are you guys finding interviews? Symplicity is alive right now, but almost every posting requires a few years experience. I've already mass mailed firms in October/November with no luck. Applied to Govt. and got rejected. Not sure what to do right now.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I have a question, though. How are you guys finding interviews? Symplicity is alive right now, but almost every posting requires a few years experience. I've already mass mailed firms in October/November with no luck. Applied to Govt. and got rejected. Not sure what to do right now.

I got a few from meeting people at free booze & the law events and following up with them later. It's easier for a lawyer to go to bat for you when they can put a face to a name. Of course, going to bat for a lawlskool kid can only go so far.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:11 am

Bikeflip wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I got a few from meeting people at free booze & the law events and following up with them later. It's easier for a lawyer to go to bat for you when they can put a face to a name. Of course, going to bat for a lawlskool kid can only go so far.

I'm getting mine through symplicity primarily, though not at "ideal" places. I did get one interview by resume email I sent after I found out a classmate was leaving the firm through facebook. I may also get an interview b/c I happen to be in a class with a senior associate at a firm that just fired a junior, so my resume was passed along through the classmate. Things seem to be picking up on the small firm side at least in NY, though I don't know how much.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm getting mine through symplicity primarily, though not at "ideal" places. I did get one interview by resume email I sent after I found out a classmate was leaving the firm through facebook. I may also get an interview b/c I happen to be in a class with a senior associate at a firm that just fired a junior, so my resume was passed along through the classmate. Things seem to be picking up on the small firm side at least in NY, though I don't know how much.

All goes to show how random 3LOL and beyond hiring is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:05 pm

For those that got consulting, for a 2013 grad (from a t-14) how did you find the postings? Online? Or did you apply directly? or Network?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:01 pm

I got my consulting position by going on linkedin and contacting campus recruiters directly after finding out their names. My story is a bit different and more complicated because my school is in the Midwest and I was targeting Socal (where I am from and had every intention of returning to). So if you actually live in/go to school in the region you want to work, it may be easier for you.

While some Big 4's may have a single posting on Symplicity (not for OCI, but for resume drop), I found that this was was useless, and I never heard anything after submitting over a resume drop. I figure this is because they mainly target the business school, and never really consider law students, unless they can't find enough b school students (which probably is unlikely).

Anyway, I figured out a handful of campus recruiter emails via linkedin (just searched "city state, firm name, campus/university recruiter") and emailed the recruiter directly with a SHORT cover letter explaining my business background, interests, current school, and why I wanted to work in their firm. Attached my resume. Now here is where you have to have a bit of luck- many of the recruiters just didn't reply to my email or just gave me the f*ck off and told me that I am "welcome to apply for open positions through my school's symplicity or on the company careers site. However, I did manage to find a few recruiters who were kind enough who keep in touch with me and didnt give me the brush off. Again, this was after emailing like 20 different recruiters from 6 different firms, and finding 3 who would actually help me.

I got my current offer in SoCal because I was pretty persistent/borderline pesky. I figured out the campus recruiter for the Socal region of the firm over the summer via linkedin. Campus recruiter #1 put me in contact with Campus recruiter #2 who was in charge of my 1st choice office. She then kept in touch with me over the summer, telling me when their positions opened up for resume submission (end of summer), flagged my resume for review (1 month later), and scheduled my initial phone interview with a manager of that office (at the end of October), followed by 3 more phone interviews and a final in person interview (during my christmas break!)

Again my story is an anomaly because I was trying to get into an office across the country so I had to be super persistent and had to keep touching base with Campus recruiter #2, because I knew she was going through OCI hiring with schools in that area, and thought she could easily forget about me.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:27 pm

I have 2 questions that have undoubtedly been asked before but:

1) If you just get a name / contact info of someone (e.g. the name of a county attorney that makes hiring decisions in an office near you) from a contact but there is no open position at the office, is there a not-so-awkward way to send that email that just says "hey, I exist, I'm going to be looking for a job soon, someone recommended I get my name out there and email you"?

2) Have we decided it's credited to apply for jobs that list requirements that you don't necessarily have (e.g. "working knowledge of (insert procedural rules for specific court here")?

Return to “Legal Employment”