The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Start looking for jobs in nearby markets while asking for a raise where you are working right now seems like the advice I'd give.

Any advice on whether getting a CPA is worth it?

+1

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:32 pm

It's not that areyouinsane/sirpartner/nojobz/whoever is really wrong in what he posts; it's just that he couldn't resist coming into this thread - which is supposed to be supportive - and shitting all over people for being so stupid as to give law a try to begin with. It's the kicking people who are already down that got him banned (and alting doesn't help his case). If he just wanted to discuss the tragedy of the legal profession elsewhere on this site, he'd still be around (or would have lasted longer, anyway).

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:07 pm

I, for one, learned new things about PDs.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:01 pm

My favorite Christmas present: My fiancee got an interview with a small firm in the same city we are moving to for my firm. Offices would be 3 blocks apart if she got it. :)

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:49 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:It's not that areyouinsane/sirpartner/nojobz/whoever is really wrong in what he posts; it's just that he couldn't resist coming into this thread - which is supposed to be supportive - and shitting all over people for being so stupid as to give law a try to begin with. It's the kicking people who are already down that got him banned (and alting doesn't help his case). If he just wanted to discuss the tragedy of the legal profession elsewhere on this site, he'd still be around (or would have lasted longer, anyway).

This is true. He knowingly breaks the rules on this forum, and thus can't stay around long. Would be nice if he could just discuss the tragedy of the profession in places where he wouldn't get banned, because his style is actually somewhat of a comic relief for those dealing with this profession's crap day in and day out.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:59 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:My favorite Christmas present: My fiancee got an interview with a small firm in the same city we are moving to for my firm. Offices would be 3 blocks apart if she got it. :)

Hope it work out mang!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:01 pm

a male human wrote:I, for one, learned new things about PDs.

Maybe, but LOL at the thought that being a cop = better life than being a PD

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:01 pm

Why? As a cop you get a funded pension fund with roughly the same pay grade + bennies. PD = no bennies or pension.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:14 pm

typ3 wrote:Why? As a cop you get a funded pension fund with roughly the same pay grade + bennies. PD = no bennies or pension.

Because cops don't magically get assigned day shifts, and risk getting shot?

You should really leave TLS before you grow up to be SirPartner. You're not this much of a douchebag IRL, save yourself while you still can.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:33 pm

typ3 wrote:Why? As a cop you get a funded pension fund with roughly the same pay grade + bennies. PD = no bennies or pension.

PDs in my state get same bennies an roughly comparable pension to the state cops.

You are a retard if you think going to be a PD is a bad option. Get the fuck out of here.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:33 pm

rad lulz wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:My favorite Christmas present: My fiancee got an interview with a small firm in the same city we are moving to for my firm. Offices would be 3 blocks apart if she got it. :)

Hope it work out mang!

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:42 am

spleenworship wrote:

PDs in my state get same bennies an roughly comparable pension to the state cops.

You are a retard if you think going to be a PD is a bad option. Get the fuck out of here.

PD means different things in different states and counties. A PD in San Mateo county (CA) certainly doesn't get any benefits (not to mention that the money he makes is not PSLF eligible) because he is appointed from a panel under contract. And even getting on panels can take a ton of work and connections.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:11 am

Fair enough. I'll say I this way: being a PD can be a great job for some people, certainly for the people in this thread. And while some places might suck, others don't. A generalized piece of advice that ALL PDs and ALL people pursuing PD is a terrible idea is objectively retarded advice, however.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:35 pm

spleenworship wrote:Fair enough. I'll say I this way: being a PD can be a great job for some people, certainly for the people in this thread. And while some places might suck, others don't. A generalized piece of advice that ALL PDs and ALL people pursuing PD is a terrible idea is objectively retarded advice, however.

No doubt.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:24 pm

I got 3 rejection e-mails on Christmas. I also got two responses to motions. HAPPY HOLIDAYS, JESSUF

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Girlfriend accepted an offer yesterday from a boutique firm in the city we wanted, doing the type of law she wants. She is near the bottom of our class at TTT, so if she can do it then there is hope for everyone. So keep your head high and keep persisting.

She got this job by hustling. Called numerous attorneys that practiced the field of law she wanted for "informational interviews," just to ask questions about how to break into the field and what not. These were good because it got her name out there while not seeming pushy about wanting a job. One of those attorneys then forwarded on her resume to a firm that was hiring, and the rest is now history.

I already have my job set up, so it is nice to finally be done and to start looking for places to live.

Would the mods do me a favor and let me know if I could get in touch with this person please?The original post is on page 32 of the Vale thread. I am in a similar position and I really want to get more detail on what this magic networking is.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:46 pm

No, the mods can't connect you with this person - we don't violate people's anonymity, and besides, you're anonymous, so they couldn't get in touch with you if they wanted to. Moreover, the post is from last March, so there's no guarantee that person is even on TLS anymore. However, there's lots of discussion here - in the Vale and TLS generally - about networking and informational interviewing; the post you quote doesn't seem out of the ordinary in that regard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:00 am

No problem. I'm the anon from above (because my past posts on TLS are quite revealing and I don't need my classmates to find out that I'm her less).

So the reason I quoted that post above is because I'm in a similar position as the previous poster's GF, except I'm at a T1 school instead of a third tier and not quit bottom of the class. I'm terrible at networking however and just can't imagine what kind if networking that guy's GF did to get a job at a boutique firm when she was at the bottom of her class. My informational interviews sort of fade out into nothingness, even when I follow up on the coffee date by sending thank you emails, etc.

How do you sell yourself in the informational interviews, without appearing to do so or acting too eager/desperate? Would love to hear from Valers who are good at networking their way into interviews. I want to go into January with a plan. All the mass mailing I did this fall resulted in precisely zero interviews.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:36 am

There really isn't a plan for networking. You just have to make a favorable impression on enough people that eventually you'll catch someone just as their firm is hiring, or someone they know is. It's an endless slog of hopelessness until one day it's not, or you get hired through just applying somewhere.

Work on describing yourself and your experiences, as well as what you are looking for, in under 30 seconds or so. If you are interested in a particular type of practice, that's helpful. Volunteering with an org that has a lot of firms doing pro bono work is also helpful.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:30 am

Yeah, the plan for networking is a shotgun approach. Do it early, and do it often. Some people will find you annoying, some will forget about you, some will really like you but won't be able to hire you, but you may really click with one or two people out of a couple hundred.

It's the kind of thing I think is fun.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:12 am

And don't ignore any opportunity. I got my job because I made friends with a guy on a hockey message board and bought tickets from him now and then.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:No problem. I'm the anon from above (because my past posts on TLS are quite revealing and I don't need my classmates to find out that I'm her less).

So the reason I quoted that post above is because I'm in a similar position as the previous poster's GF, except I'm at a T1 school instead of a third tier and not quit bottom of the class. I'm terrible at networking however and just can't imagine what kind if networking that guy's GF did to get a job at a boutique firm when she was at the bottom of her class. My informational interviews sort of fade out into nothingness, even when I follow up on the coffee date by sending thank you emails, etc.

How do you sell yourself in the informational interviews, without appearing to do so or acting too eager/desperate? Would love to hear from Valers who are good at networking their way into interviews. I want to go into January with a plan. All the mass mailing I did this fall resulted in precisely zero interviews.

My advice is to look at all networking opportunities as a chance to make long term career connections and even possible colleagues. Don't look at it as a one-time chance to sell yourself. Be very interested in getting to know the person and their work and career path.
Have a very very short and positive summary of yourself to give them. Be professional and organized. And always stay positive about your situation. If you can't be positive or upbeat, don't go. You have to be able to manage your own moods and emotions in professional situations.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:31 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Because cops don't magically get assigned day shifts, and risk getting shot?

You should really leave TLS before you grow up to be SirPartner. You're not this much of a douchebag IRL, save yourself while you still can.

Like someone else said, it depends on the city / region. In my home state PD's don't get bennies while cops / police do. Most cops / gubmint workers retire in their late 40's early 50's. It's a joke and almost offensive to people in private industry. Most PD's grind it out until they can find more lucrative work. I'm not being a dick, it's just the truth in my home state and other places like Omaha. That being said, a lot of cops are out of the field after a few years and in rural areas there is almost 0 likelihood of being shot. You just patrol rural roads all day / write speeding tickets to generate revenue for the counties / cities / and show sit at school sporting events or other public gatherings that are over 300 people (or whatever number is written into local statute). Cops in my home city make more than PDs and have less stress / work hours. So, in my opinion whomever said that cops > pd's is correct but ymmv depending on where you live / what state you live in. The opposite can be true for places like LA / NY / Major Metros.

I would say a lot of fed agency workers have JD's like FBI case investigators etc. Since they are on a federal pay scale, being an investigator in a rural state is gold since you do almost no work, no one holds you accountable really, and you get the same pay. These are the types of jobs that are >>> most legal jobs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:18 pm

I'm the guy who asked about networking. Thanks for the replies, these are VERY helpful. I'll probably keep posting my progress and updates her anonymously. Rooting for all of you as well.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:23 pm

NYstate wrote:My advice is to look at all networking opportunities as a chance to make long term career connections and even possible colleagues. Don't look at it as a one-time chance to sell yourself. Be very interested in getting to know the person and their work and career path.

This is #1 networking advice right here bros

Return to “Legal Employment”