The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Crash32

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Crash32 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:50 am

So, can anyone speak to what hiring looks like during Spring semester? I know it varies by region/ etc., but I have heard things like "keep your head up and keep applying" and "no one hires until after the bar," so I am just curious if anyone has a thought on this.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:46 am

Crash32 wrote:So, can anyone speak to what hiring looks like during Spring semester? I know it varies by region/ etc., but I have heard things like "keep your head up and keep applying" and "no one hires until after the bar," so I am just curious if anyone has a thought on this.

Paradoxically, both have an element of truth to them. Such is legal hiring: Everyone and every firm will have their own rules. Do as much as you can, and don't be afraid to change strategies.

Crash32

Postby Crash32 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Bikeflip wrote: don't be afraid to change strategies

Oh, how marvelous it would be to have a strategy, as opposed to fumbling through the dark looking for a light switch

hermanblume

Postby hermanblume » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:07 pm

To the posters talking about whether firms are interviewing now or months down the line:

I was wondering about this question as well. An alum of my law school said that this was still relatively early in the hiring game as firm needs can change quickly.

After months of silence (and me pretty much giving up on ever receiving a response), I've gotten multiple emails from firms in the past few days. I mass-mailed one of these firms in the last two weeks, I can't remember how long ago I sent the other two. It seems like they all want to conduct phone interviews or callbacks starting second week of January, so check out for emails in the next few days and keep trying!

Also, if you look at past "firms hiring 3Ls" threads, it looks like postings are updated sporadically throughout the spring- even up to May and beyond.

Good luck everyone!

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:32 pm

hermanblume wrote:To the posters talking about whether firms are interviewing now or months down the line:

I was wondering about this question as well. An alum of my law school said that this was still relatively early in the hiring game as firm needs can change quickly.

After months of silence (and me pretty much giving up on ever receiving a response), I've gotten multiple emails from firms in the past few days. I mass-mailed one of these firms in the last two weeks, I can't remember how long ago I sent the other two. It seems like they all want to conduct phone interviews or callbacks starting second week of January, so check out for emails in the next few days and keep trying!

Also, if you look at past "firms hiring 3Ls" threads, it looks like postings are updated sporadically throughout the spring- even up to May and beyond.

Good luck everyone!

We are going to enter into dead zone for the next two weeks with the holidays. But I have also gotten some interviews weeks to months after submitting applications. My big feeling for 3L hiring is that the firms are not in any sort of rush.

Who are you contacting at the firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:38 pm

Sent a follow up email to a firm I'm hoping to join, and got this response from the partner who screened me and would be working under (at a satellite office of the firm): "We have not yet filled the position to my knowledge but I expect a decision will be made soon."

I'm not feeling good about this at all and ready to fall apart. Anyone else read this differently?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:45 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Mind indicating which state this is in? Or which state the firms' HQ is in?

Anonymous User wrote:Project positivity and optimism. Yes, it's a terrible situation, but complaining about it is an easy way to make a terrible impression. Something like, acknowledging that it's a tough market, but that there's nothing for you to do but keep your head up and keep moving forward.

Both of these are anon abuse.

This is true. However, a quick reminder - if you see anon abuse, please don't comment on it in the thread, just report it by clicking the red exclamation point in the bottom right of the post. Thanks.

Didn't know about that, thanks!

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sent a follow up email to a firm I'm hoping to join, and got this response from the partner who screened me and would be working under (at a satellite office of the firm): "We have not yet filled the position to my knowledge but I expect a decision will be made soon."

I'm not feeling good about this at all and ready to fall apart. Anyone else read this differently?

Could be anything, really.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:49 pm

hermanblume wrote:To the posters talking about whether firms are interviewing now or months down the line:

Good luck everyone!

What size firms? I've been waiting ever for two bigger ones, one at which I have multiple connections, but nothing has happened. Seems like work freezes in December.

hermanblume

Postby hermanblume » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:15 pm

I've been emailing the HR contact from the NALP form or firm website. Alums/ CSO have suggested emailing partners but I haven't gotten any actual interviews from those emails.

Pretty big firms (V15-V20, V70), not all reimburse callback expenses though...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:41 am

hermanblume wrote:I've been emailing the HR contact from the NALP form or firm website. Alums/ CSO have suggested emailing partners but I haven't gotten any actual interviews from those emails.

Pretty big firms (V15-V20, V70), not all reimburse callback expenses though...

Are these in response to particular postings? I have had one Vault firm post on my Symplicity in the past month. All my other networking/mailing has resulted in nothing because barely any V100 firms are hiring 3Ls right now (after summers accepted their offers.)

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:06 pm

How do you go about contacting smaller firms that don't necessarily have a careers page or anything. Just e-mail one of the partners? Mail a letter of interest to the address?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:30 pm

starchinkilt wrote:How do you go about contacting smaller firms that don't necessarily have a careers page or anything. Just e-mail one of the partners? Mail a letter of interest to the address?

Try for a partner that is an alumni of your law school if you can. Also, ask mentors/law friends if they know anyone at the firm—an introduction can be very helpful.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:50 am

starchinkilt wrote:How do you go about contacting smaller firms that don't necessarily have a careers page or anything. Just e-mail one of the partners? Mail a letter of interest to the address?

I emailed partners. Or, if they were large enough, associates from my school who had been there a while.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:06 pm

Well this is fun. I have a callback next week. While researching the partners, I found out one of their kids also is an unemployed c/o 2013 grad.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:22 pm

Bikeflip wrote:Well this is fun. I have a callback next week. While researching the partners, I found out one of their kids also is an unemployed c/o 2013 grad.

Maybe the kid doesn't want to work for daddy/mommy (or some other reason) and isn't in the running?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:06 pm

I can only hope. Maybe the firm is hiring the kid and someone else. Maybe the parents and the kid had a falling out. Who knows? I can't do anything about it.

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:11 pm

Bikeflip wrote:I can only hope. Maybe the firm is hiring the kid and someone else. Maybe the parents and the kid had a falling out. Who knows? I can't do anything about it.

Some firms have a no nepotism policy. He/she might not be eligible.

FamilyLawEsq

Postby FamilyLawEsq » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:21 pm

Bikeflip wrote:I can only hope. Maybe the firm is hiring the kid and someone else. Maybe the parents and the kid had a falling out. Who knows? I can't do anything about it.

My daughter, a 2011 law school grad who loves us dearly, said she would never work for either of her parents!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:20 pm

FamilyLawEsq wrote:

My daughter, a 2011 law school grad who loves us dearly, said she would never work for either of her parents!

I love my parents, but I'd never want to work for either of them.

That being said, if it was 7 months after graduation with no leads, I'd probably bite the bullet and do it. Unfortunately, my parents are not lawyers or in any position to hire me for anything I'm qualified to do :D

FamilyLawEsq

Postby FamilyLawEsq » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:51 pm

chrisbru wrote:
FamilyLawEsq wrote:

That being said, if it was 7 months after graduation with no leads, I'd probably bite the bullet and do it. Unfortunately, my parents are not lawyers or in any position to hire me for anything I'm qualified to do :D

Too bad they don't own a pub or a distillery!

FamilyLawEsq

Postby FamilyLawEsq » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:59 pm

FamilyLawEsq wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
FamilyLawEsq wrote:

I know you have a legal job, congrats by the way. If you need any help with the crazy divorce clients reach out to me.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:42 pm

Thanks for the support, everybody. The best I can do is prep. Who knows what will happen next week?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:33 am

FamilyLawEsq wrote:
FamilyLawEsq wrote:

I know you have a legal job, congrats by the way. If you need any help with the crazy divorce clients reach out to me.

Whoa, two spot on posts. Do I know you? I must know you. Who ARE you?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:10 am

Creepy. Is that your future boss?

Return to “Legal Employment”