The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jaydizzle

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:20 am

chrisbru wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:I know career services typically sucks, but talk with them. Yeah, it really is a big range. In Indy, it might be more like 45+ if the firm is doing well. Elsewhere, it will be on the lower side typically from what my classmates have been telling me. I would be happy with any job right now, here is to hoping something will pop up before I graduate.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy about the job. But I'm also nervous about the money. Based on a 10-year repayment, HALF of each paycheck would go to loans and I'd be living worse than I did even in undergrad. And yeah, yeah, there is IBR/PAYE... But I want to at least pay interest, and would feel disgusting paying over $600/month and having my loans not get any smaller at all.

I feel you, I am in the same boat. I guess worst case scenario is tough it out for 2 years and look for something better paying after 2 years?

On a side not, are you still in law school?

Yeah, I graduate in May.

Nice, same here. Well, at least you got an offer so things are looking up!

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:48 am

Bedsole wrote:Good luck, Barbell. Rooting for you!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:14 pm

Also, bru, do the 25 year repayment until salary increases?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:21 pm

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:42 pm

spleenworship wrote:

Also, bru, do the 25 year repayment until salary increases?

I qualify for PAYE so I think its 20. But, still, I want to pay at least interest so my principal balance doesn't grow, which still doesn't leave me much to live on.

I mean, I will take the job. But I want to at least try and ask for more money.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:28 pm

So...after getting no offered at a firm, having an offer rescinded due to budget reasons at a PI place, and then having another offer rescinded from my 3L firm due to the satellite office not opening in the area where I moved to...I. AM. OUT. OF.THE. VALE.

The firm I had dinner with last night called today to extend an offer. #1 choice, the people I met were great, the area of law is interesting and the compensation package is better than I ever thought I could get as a Valer. I start in January, meaning that I have 3 weeks to see family, relax and buy another suit. I am literally stunned.

To those still looking: At this point, many people are going to give up or get lazy. Don't do that. Keep looking, keep sending, keep meeting with attorneys, keep going to events, etc. Keeping up morale is literally the most difficult thing at this point, and those that can grind and still send 3-4 apps a day and get 2-3 info interviews a week are the ones that will be getting jobs. Just keep pushing, keep grinding and remember that every day you take to slack off is a day someone else is applying to jobs. The Vale is a very difficult feeling, but this is all a numbers game. All you're doing is increasing the probability of being employed with each application. I wish everyone the best in their search and will stick around this thread and help out with any advice that I can. Good luck guys, you can do it, there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:37 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:So...after getting no offered at a firm, having an offer rescinded due to budget reasons at a PI place, and then having another offer rescinded from my 3L firm due to the satellite office not opening in the area where I moved to...I. AM. OUT. OF.THE. VALE.

The firm I had dinner with last night called today to extend an offer. #1 choice, the people I met were great, the area of law is interesting and the compensation package is better than I ever thought I could get as a Valer. I start in January, meaning that I have 3 weeks to see family, relax and buy another suit. I am literally stunned.

To those still looking: At this point, many people are going to give up or get lazy. Don't do that. Keep looking, keep sending, keep meeting with attorneys, keep going to events, etc. Keeping up morale is literally the most difficult thing at this point, and those that can grind and still send 3-4 apps a day and get 2-3 info interviews a week are the ones that will be getting jobs. Just keep pushing, keep grinding and remember that every day you take to slack off is a day someone else is applying to jobs. The Vale is a very difficult feeling, but this is all a numbers game. All you're doing is increasing the probability of being employed with each application. I wish everyone the best in their search and will stick around this thread and help out with any advice that I can. Good luck guys, you can do it, there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LITERALLY JUST YELLED FCUK YEA IN THE LIBRARY (AND CAN GIVE A DANMN ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:37 pm

Attaboy, Barbell!

Also, good on you for bumping Pitt's 9 month numbers.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:59 pm

Bedsole wrote:Attaboy, Barbell!

So happy for ya! Hopefully I follow you out of the Vale soon. I'm waiting to hear whether I'm getting a callback from this boutique.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:44 pm

Congrats Barbell. So excited for you!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:36 pm

Fuck yeah, Barbell!

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:37 pm

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the support and hope everyone in the Vale is getting out sooner rather than later.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:45 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Well guys, I got an offer today. It's in a small town about an hour from my home city. The pay is not good, to say the least, but it is something. I have until next Friday to accept, so I'll be furiously contacting every firm I have outstanding applications out to instead of studying :D

Congrats! Don't be afraid to negotiate the salary.

Did you like the attorneys?

Yeah I'm going to call them next week and talk about that a bit. They want me to work part time during bar study as well, is this smart?

Dude, congrats!

Work/Study is not desirable, but it is doable.

I took care of my grandma who has Alzheimer's for about 4 hours a day and spent another 3-4 in the hospital from May - July visiting my dad. Was still able to pass the bar (Though I was stressed as fuck about it).

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Awesome, chrisbru & Barbell!!!!!!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:41 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:So...after getting no offered at a firm, having an offer rescinded due to budget reasons at a PI place, and then having another offer rescinded from my 3L firm due to the satellite office not opening in the area where I moved to...I. AM. OUT. OF.THE. VALE.

Dude I'm do happy for you man

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:51 pm

Here is an entry level posting:

Associate Attorney - Fredrikson’s Fargo, ND office has an immediate opening for an entry level associate in our Trusts and Estate Group. This practice, which is among the most highly regarded in the Upper Midwest, is focused on sophisticated estate and tax planning for individuals and families of significant means and succession planning for business. We are looking for a highly-motivated individual with distinguished academic credentials, exceptional legal analysis and writing abilities and outstanding interpersonal skills. We believe this is an unparalleled opportunity for individuals possessing these characteristics.

http://www.fredlaw.com/careers/attorney ... available/

a male human

Postby a male human » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:20 am

Congrats Barbell!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:43 am

Very happy to hear it, very few people have been fucked over as hard as you have. Congratulations, that's awesome for you.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:45 am

Congrats to both Barbell and Bru! Awesome to hear.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:54 am

spleenworship wrote:Congrats Barbell. So excited for you!

+1. You kept fighting and it worked out. Good Job.

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:01 am

BarbellDreams wrote:Thanks guys! I appreciate all the support and hope everyone in the Vale is getting out sooner rather than later.

I know non 3Ls should not post here and normally I never would but I just wanted to say congrats on getting a job. I occasionally would look at this thread and really wanted you to get a job you wanted and it's awesome that you did. I'm only a 1L right now but I hope to have the same hustle and attitude in my job search as you and others who I know are working really hard. Congrats!

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:55 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Thanks guys! I appreciate all the support and hope everyone in the Vale is getting out sooner rather than later.

I know non 3Ls should not post here and normally I never would but I just wanted to say congrats on getting a job. I occasionally would look at this thread and really wanted you to get a job you wanted and it's awesome that you did. I'm only a 1L right now but I hope to have the same hustle and attitude in my job search as you and others who I know are working really hard. Congrats!

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:48 pm

I have a 3.15 at a tier 2 in NYC. I was lucky to get an offer at a small firm (less than 15 attorneys) doing corporate & securities work. I'm not sure how much I can learn and whether or not this can lead to something else but if opps present itself in the future, am I screwed because of those grades?

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a 3.15 at a tier 2 in NYC. I was lucky to get an offer at a small firm (less than 15 attorneys) doing corporate & securities work. I'm not sure how much I can learn and whether or not this can lead to something else but if opps present itself in the future, am I screwed because of those grades?

Without knowing anything more regarding salary and the firm, I think you should take it and not look back. No offense meant, but I would say it is unlikely to find any better offer considering your school, grades, and the market.

rogers

Postby rogers » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:53 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
lawhopeful10 wrote:

+1

Return to “Legal Employment”