The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bikeflip

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:32 pm

MSPeast wrote:Anyone in here ever get an overly snarky rejection letter or e-mail? I made a targeted application a few weeks back to a state government gig where the job posting strongly implied that they'd at least consider entry-level applicants. The rejection e-mail I got a week later said "based on the information you provided in your application, you do not meet the minimum qualifications as described in the job description and therefore we will not consider your application further." It may as well have said "You obviously don't qualify; how dare you waste my time by applying for this?" I'm fine getting rejections, but that e-mail felt pretty rude.

A few state gigs I've applied to had similar rejections, mainly b/c I didn't have my bar number to put on their application. Now I at least get past the 1st cut with a notification saying I made the "minimal qualifications." Yay HR drones. :|

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:33 pm

MSPeast wrote:Anyone in here ever get an overly snarky rejection letter or e-mail? I made a targeted application a few weeks back to a state government gig where the job posting strongly implied that they'd at least consider entry-level applicants. The rejection e-mail I got a week later said "based on the information you provided in your application, you do not meet the minimum qualifications as described in the job description and therefore we will not consider your application further." It may as well have said "You obviously don't qualify; how dare you waste my time by applying for this?" I'm fine getting rejections, but that e-mail felt pretty rude.

God I hate that. It's happened to me too. It's insulting, and it makes me glad to not work there.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:17 pm

Got an email from my top choice thanking me again for coming in to interview and letting me know that final decisions will be made within 1-2 weeks. I liked the position before the interview, but after the interview I was so impressed that I would have done anything for an offer. Feels kinda sad that I was so excited to receive an unsolicited email like this, but at least it shows me I'm in the running and not an auto "throw his resume in the trash" candidate. Should also be hearing back from one other firm next week for sure. Here is to hoping this whole Vale business is over and done with soon cause my savings account can't bleed much further.
Last edited by BarbellDreams on Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:52 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Got an email from my top choice thanking me again for coming in to interview and letting me know that final decisions will be made within 1-2 weeks. I liked the position before the interview, but after the interview I was ready to give my pinkie finger for an offer. Feels kinda sad that I was so excited to receive an unsolicited email like this, but at least it shows me I'm in the running and not an auto "throw his resume in the trash" candidate. Should also be hearing back from one other firm next week for sure. Here is to hoping this whole Vale business is over and done with soon cause my savings account can't bleed much further.

Gl bro

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:53 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:12 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Got an email from my top choice thanking me again for coming in to interview and letting me know that final decisions will be made within 1-2 weeks. I liked the position before the interview, but after the interview I was ready to give my pinkie finger for an offer. Feels kinda sad that I was so excited to receive an unsolicited email like this, but at least it shows me I'm in the running and not an auto "throw his resume in the trash" candidate. Should also be hearing back from one other firm next week for sure. Here is to hoping this whole Vale business is over and done with soon cause my savings account can't bleed much further.

I would interpret the email as an opportunity to reply and emphasize your interest in the firm. They gave you once last shot to fight for the position.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:23 pm

JazzOne wrote:

I would interpret the email as an opportunity to reply and emphasize your interest in the firm. They gave you once last shot to fight for the position.

This. Just don't go overboard. Nothing scares people away like desperation.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:04 pm

I'm really impressed with some of the alumni I've met with over the past few weeks. I expected no one to ever reply to any email requesting a meeting or snobby comments about why I haven't found a job yet. While I had one meeting that was downright funny because the guy was absolutely clueless about the market and begged me to not take the money at Skadden because I won't "be a true lawyer" if I did, the rest have been awesome. I've got 3 more scheduled in the next 2 weeks, and basically everyone has offered to pay for lunch so far. If you guys haven't really turned to info interviews I highly suggest getting on it. Good info, always nice to have more connections, feels good to get out of the house and have lunch downtown, some of these people I would want to hang out with regardless of whether they found me a job or not, and sometimes you get a bite or at least a "Give me your resume and I'll see what I can do". I search through Martindale and send out 10 requests every 2-3 days. I don't wanna schedule too may at once and not have time but I also assume that if I haven't gotten a response in 2-3 days they likely deleted my email so I move on to the next batch. About 10-15% reply so every week I have at least a few meetings. A biglaw partner who I am meeting with next week flat out said in his email : "I want to buy you lunch at some fancy place downtown cause I know how stressful it must be looking for work right now." This guy has never even met me, so I was pretty impressed. :)

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:24 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I'm really impressed with some of the alumni I've met with over the past few weeks. I expected no one to ever reply to any email requesting a meeting or snobby comments about why I haven't found a job yet. While I had one meeting that was downright funny because the guy was absolutely clueless about the market and begged me to not take the money at Skadden because I won't "be a true lawyer" if I did, the rest have been awesome. I've got 3 more scheduled in the next 2 weeks, and basically everyone has offered to pay for lunch so far. If you guys haven't really turned to info interviews I highly suggest getting on it. Good info, always nice to have more connections, feels good to get out of the house and have lunch downtown, some of these people I would want to hang out with regardless of whether they found me a job or not, and sometimes you get a bite or at least a "Give me your resume and I'll see what I can do". I search through Martindale and send out 10 requests every 2-3 days. I don't wanna schedule too may at once and not have time but I also assume that if I haven't gotten a response in 2-3 days they likely deleted my email so I move on to the next batch. About 10-15% reply so every week I have at least a few meetings. A biglaw partner who I am meeting with next week flat out said in his email : "I want to buy you lunch at some fancy place downtown cause I know how stressful it must be looking for work right now." This guy has never even met me, so I was pretty impressed. :)

That's awesome. I'm going to start bugging all of the people in my PD office and in neighboring state PD offices. I doubt they will have the $$ to buy me lunch, but any sort of response and advice is appreciated.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:11 am

Another posting of interest for Valers barred in PA. GL!

STAFF ATTORNEY

Chambersburg, PA
LAW OFFICES OF WOMEN IN NEED

Date Posted: 11/23/2013
Job Type: ATTORNEY
Schedule Type: Full Time

Practice Areas: Domestic Violence, Family Law

Qualifications
Graduation from an accredited law school; admission to the Pennsylvania Bar or eligible for admission pursuant to Pa.B.A.R. 311. Experience preferred. Spanish language preferred.

Salary
Salary dependent on experience.

Contact Information:
winlawoffices@gmail.com

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:01 pm

i don't know what to say when attorneys and other interns at my office express disbelief i couldn't get a real job coming out of ccn. :oops:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:31 pm

As of this morning, I officially struck out of every single first and second round interview that I had. This must be what hell feels like!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i don't know what to say when attorneys and other interns at my office express disbelief i couldn't get a real job coming out of ccn. :oops:

Same here. I've had interviews where the attys seem more interested in knowing how well columbia is doing and how many people are on the fellowships, and get looks of pity when they realize I am on a school sponsored fellowship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As of this morning, I officially struck out of every single first and second round interview that I had. This must be what hell feels like!

A deeper layer of hell is when you strike out of the one interview post-bar and find out you have to retake the bar so they were right in rejecting you anyway.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As of this morning, I officially struck out of every single first and second round interview that I had. This must be what hell feels like!

A deeper layer of hell is when you strike out of the one interview post-bar and find out you have to retake the bar so they were right in rejecting you anyway.

Failing the bar isn't a reflection on your intelligence and qualifications. It's just an outdated hazing ritual.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:i don't know what to say when attorneys and other interns at my office express disbelief i couldn't get a real job coming out of ccn. :oops:

can i ask what you're doing now?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:44 pm

Another great posting for the PA-barred Valers...

Assistant Public Defender
Office of Public Defender, Luzerne County (Wilkes-Barre, PA)
Posted: Nov 21, 2013
DIVISION N/A
Office of Public Defender, Luzerne County (Wilkes-Barre, PA)
Employer Profile
DESCRIPTION
Luzerne County
Assistant Public Defender

The Office of Public Defender for Luzerne County is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Full Time Assistant Public Defender.

An Assistant Public Defender (APD) provides every aspect of legal representation to persons charged with a state crime or delinquent act and who, because of indigence, cannot obtain counsel to represent them. APD also provides representation to those persons who are subject to Involuntary Civil Commitments under the Mental Health Procedures Act and to persons in state parole cases. A complete job description can be found on the Luzerne County website.

Minimum Requirement include being in good standing and admitted to practice before the Bar of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

No application will be accepted in instances where the applicant has any criminal charges, other than a minor traffic violation, disciplinary complaints or proceedings pending against him/her in Pennsylvania or any other state.

Persons desiring to apply must submit an application for employment which can be obtained from the County Website at http://www.luzernecounty.org or the Office of Public Defender. Applicants must also submit a detailed resume, writing sample, list of three professional references and certificate of good standing.
Annual Salary: $40,000 w/ benefits

First review of applicants’ deadline is: Monday, December 2, 2013.

Send application, resume and references to:
Hr-office@luzernecounty.org
or
send hard copy to:
Human Resources Department
Luzerne County Courthouse
200 North River Street
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711-1001
(Application can be found on County website)
The County of Luzerne is an EEO/ADA employer
GEOGRAPHIC PREFERENCE
Mid-Atlantic (NJ, NY, PA)
POSITION TYPE
Full-time Other Professional
DESIRED CLASS LEVEL(S)
Recent Graduate (2013), Alumni

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Same here. I've had interviews where the attys seem more interested in knowing how well columbia is doing and how many people are on the fellowships, and get looks of pity when they realize I am on a school sponsored fellowship.

Don't let that get you down. People are idiots. They have no idea about the job market and the small things that can save or sink you.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:05 pm

NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Don't let that get you down. People are idiots. They have no idea about the job market and the small things that can save or sink you.

that's incredibly douchey of the attorneys and interns at your office to imply that something is wrong with you (for not getting a so-called "real jerb" outta CCN). I'm angrier at the law student interns more so than the clueless boomers who make such remarks, tho. The law students should at least
have an inkling of how brutal the job market is.

don't let them bring you down. NOTHING is wrong with you. there are so many factors, completely outside of your control (down to what the interviewer had for breakfast) which control whether you're a valer or not.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:49 pm

North Penn Legal Services is seeking an attorney to fill a staff attorney position located in the Pittston office. The Pittston staff consists of 13 attorneys, 4 paralegals and 3 support staff positions.

Attorney will represent clients in variety of civil cases with focus on consumer, bankruptcy, mortgage foreclosure, unemployment and housing cases in both Luzerne and Lackawanna counties.
Applicants will be evaluated on their oral, writing and advocacy skills as well as prior experience.
PA Bar or by admission required.
Inter-city travel required.
Desire applicants with strong experience supervising legal staff. Salary DOE to $47,000.
Demonstrated commitment to serving interests of low income people.
Competitive fringe benefits.
Submit applications:
via email to resumes@northpennlegal.org (preferable), or to:
HR Manager
North Penn Legal Services
329 Market St.
Williamsport, PA 17701
Ref. in subject line of email: attny112113pitt
For more information go to “jobs” at http://www.northpennlegal.org

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:24 pm

thanks guys.

Anonymous User wrote:
can i ask what you're doing now?

i'm doing very low-paid paralegal work under the title of "legal intern" at a local insurance office.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:04 am

BarbellDreams wrote:I'm really impressed with some of the alumni I've met with over the past few weeks. I expected no one to ever reply to any email requesting a meeting or snobby comments about why I haven't found a job yet. While I had one meeting that was downright funny because the guy was absolutely clueless about the market and begged me to not take the money at Skadden because I won't "be a true lawyer" if I did, the rest have been awesome. I've got 3 more scheduled in the next 2 weeks, and basically everyone has offered to pay for lunch so far. If you guys haven't really turned to info interviews I highly suggest getting on it. Good info, always nice to have more connections, feels good to get out of the house and have lunch downtown, some of these people I would want to hang out with regardless of whether they found me a job or not, and sometimes you get a bite or at least a "Give me your resume and I'll see what I can do". I search through Martindale and send out 10 requests every 2-3 days. I don't wanna schedule too may at once and not have time but I also assume that if I haven't gotten a response in 2-3 days they likely deleted my email so I move on to the next batch. About 10-15% reply so every week I have at least a few meetings. A biglaw partner who I am meeting with next week flat out said in his email : "I want to buy you lunch at some fancy place downtown cause I know how stressful it must be looking for work right now." This guy has never even met me, so I was pretty impressed. :)

I've found this to be true too, especially with recent alums. And don't shrug them off because they're not partners who make hiring decisions--junior associates can often get your resume on the top of the pile, so to speak.

I'm only a year out and a dude from this year reached out to me to talk about my job (a professor told him about it) and I got irrationally excited. He was a nice guy, so his resume will be in the pile instead of in the trash now.

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:13 am

Do resumes literally go into a trash bin? (hope you guys at least recycle)
But most firms keep all resumes digitally for later reference, right?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:30 am

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:16 am

a male human wrote:Do resumes literally go into a trash bin? (hope you guys at least recycle)
But most firms keep all resumes digitally for later reference, right?

While I think it may be "technically" right (like it says in all rejection letters), the odds of them actually pulling up and sorting through old resumes when another job opens up a year from now is about as low as it can possibly be. When a new opening opens up they will just post it on Symplicity or whatever and wait for more resumes instead of putting in hours sorting through old resumes to see if anyone qualifies. Once you get that rejection, its time to forget that firm and move on (at least until you have some experience, in which case you actually may apply for another position 204 years down the road at the same firm).

Return to “Legal Employment”