The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:32 pm

===========

TITLE: Attorney
EMPLOYER: Clark Law Offices (Phoenix, AZ)
DESCRIPTION: Full Time Attorney to take Bankruptcy consultations
SEEKING: Alum 0-3 yrs exp
HOW TO APPLY: Please forward resume and cover letter.

Applications Accepted Until:
Dec 17, 2012

===============

Wes Long & Associates

seeks a Three-L or recent graduate for its Guntersville office. The firm is a general practice and litigation firm, and the successful candidate will work in an assortment of practice areas. There will also be some administrative work that will be required with the position. Candidates should express their connections to northern Alabama in their cover letter. Resumes will be reviewed as they are received through the close of this posting.
Geographic Preference
Alabama -- Huntsville
Practice Area(s)
General Practice, Litigation
Desired Class Level(s)
3L, Recent Graduate, Alumni
Contact Information
Employer: Wes Long & Associates, LLC (Guntersville, AL)
Name: Mr. Stephen W. Williams
Title: Attorney
E-mail: swilliams aatt longflanagan.com
Phone: [cut]
Address: 3446 Alabama Highway 69 S
Guntersville, Alabama

Jan 11, 2013
=============

Description

Associate Attorney – Pentecost & Glenn, PLLC (Jackson, TN)
Expiration Date: January 28, 2013
Pentecost & Glenn, PLLC seeks a recent graduate for an Associate Attorney position.
How to Apply: Mail a cover letter, resume and writing sample to: Mr. Donald D. Glenn - Pentecost & Glenn, PLLC - 106 Stonebridge Blvd. - Jackson TN 38305.
Desired Class Level(s)
3L, Recent Graduate
Contact Information
Employer: Postings (Tennessee)
Name: Unspecified

Jan 28, 2013

=================

Foreman Friedman (Miami)

Description:
Downtown Miami litigation firm is seeking an associate with 0-3 years litigation experience. Excellent research and writing skills. Great working conditions, good benefits, salary commensurate with experience. In addition to your resume also include a writing sample and transcript.
Desired Class Level: 1L, 2L, 3L, Alumni-Recent Grad, Alumni
Expiration Date: December 30, 2012
NA Human Resources
2 South Biscayne Boulevard Suite 2300 Miami, FL 33131 , United States
Resume Receipt:
How to Apply:
Please email resume, writing sample, transcript and salary requirements to: agrosso aatt fflegal.com. When candidates respond to this posting, please write in the subject line of your email: â€oeGeneral Civil Litigation Opportunity - 0-3 years"

Dec 30, 2012

========

Wilmer Hale (DC)

Position Type: Permanent/Full-Time
Practice Area(s): Mergers, Acquisitions & Reorganizations
Geographic Preference(s): District of Columbia-Washington

Description: WilmerHale is looking for outstanding entry-level associates to join our Corporate Practice Group in Washington, DC for the fall of 2013. Our practice in this area includes mergers and acquisitions, public company counseling, public offerings and other capital markets transactions, and start ups and venture capital financing. The ideal candidate should have top academic credentials, strong writing and interpersonal skills. Applicants should also possess superior organizational and analytical skills.

Desired Class Level: 3L, Alumni-Recent Grad
Expiration Date: April 21, 2013

Ms. Lori Candee
Talent Recruitment
1875 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, District of Columbia 20006 United States

How to Apply: For more information about the position and to apply, please visit http://www.wilmerhalecareers.com/lawyer ... bdebf16ec1

Additional Documents:
Cover Letter, Unofficial Transcript, Writing Sample, Other Documents

Apr 21, 2013

============

Blakely Sokoloff (Sunnyvale, CA)

The Sunnyvale, CA office of Blakely Sokoloff Taylor Zafman LLP is hiring patent agents, entry level attorneys, and attorneys with experience. The ideal candidate will have a strong technical background, in electrical engineering and/or computer science, with some experience in technical writing, and a year or two of patent prosecution training. Candidates with good software and/or hardware background, who knows how to write technical papers (as opposed to legal papers) preferred.
Geographic Preference
West (AK, CA, CO, HI, MT, NV, UT, WY)
Practice Area(s)
Intellectual Property
Desired Class Level(s)
3L, Recent Graduate, Alumni

Dec 31, 2012

===============

Maynard Cooper (Huntsville, AL)

Description

Maynard Cooper seeks 3L to fill an entry-level patent law position at their Huntsville office. Not required, but prefer someone with an electrical engineering background or electrical engineering degree, and telecommunication experience would also be a plus.
Geographic Preference
Alabama -- Huntsville
Practice Area(s)
Intellectual Property
Contact Information
Employer: Maynard Cooper & Gale (Birmingham, AL)
Name: Joslyn Smith
E-mail: joslyn.smith aatt maynardcooper.com
Phone: [cut]
Address: 1901 6th Ave. North
Suite 2400

Birmingham, AL
35203 United States

Dec 28, 2012

==============

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a rejection from fulbright, where the last question in a series of interviews was: "are you actually interested in corp finance, or is this better than nothing?" Glad that the legal world is treating me as a sort of scavenger. Graduating this semester and will be taking the feb bar, so not sure how job search will proceed. May take on some project work in the meantime and then go on school's fellowship in March, and hope things improve from there.

Haha, I got rejected from there as well. I wonder how many people they interviewed? Though, if it makes you feel any better, I had some finance background and it didn't work out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:10 am

Being a no-offered and unemployed 3L has consistently been taking a mental toll since the beginning of the school year. Unless I am sleeping, drinking, or playing video games, I literally think about being unemployed almost all the time. I'm unable to stop feeling ill will for people who have no offered me, and the job search has no end in sight. Some days are better than others, and some weeks are better than others, but I can't stop. Counseling helps; it helps a lot. But it's not enough.

It's gotten to the point where it's beginning to interfere with my personal relationships. I used to be very social and liked to party. Now I don't go any of that, especially with my law friends, many of whom have jobs. In fact, I don't talk to many people from law school. Same goes for most non-law people. I avoid people who haven't heard because I really don't like to be asked "how I'm doing."

Every day I wish I had never come to law school, and when someone tells me they want to go, I laugh in their fucking faces.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Being a no-offered and unemployed 3L has consistently been taking a mental toll since the beginning of the school year. Unless I am sleeping, drinking, or playing video games, I literally think about being unemployed almost all the time. I'm unable to stop feeling ill will for people who have no offered me, and the job search has no end in sight. Some days are better than others, and some weeks are better than others, but I can't stop. Counseling helps; it helps a lot. But it's not enough.

It's gotten to the point where it's beginning to interfere with my personal relationships. I used to be very social and liked to party. Now I don't go any of that, especially with my law friends, many of whom have jobs. In fact, I don't talk to many people from law school. Same goes for most non-law people. I avoid people who haven't heard because I really don't like to be asked "how I'm doing."

Every day I wish I had never come to law school, and when someone tells me they want to go, I laugh in their fucking faces.

We all know that feel. I probably waste a half an hour every day logging into Symplicity in the hope that something new will be there. Hope you're able to find something in the spring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:39 pm

Hey bud I'm going to post more soon, but hang in there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:40 pm

TTH wrote:We all know that feel. I probably waste a half an hour every day logging into Symplicity in the hope that something new will be there. Hope you're able to find something in the spring.

Every night I log into USAjobs and apply to three or four non-attorney positons, just in case, knowing that it's a complete waste of time. It's the only thing that stops me from feeling completely lost and helpless, because at least I'm making an effort.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Being a no-offered and unemployed 3L has consistently been taking a mental toll since the beginning of the school year. Unless I am sleeping, drinking, or playing video games, I literally think about being unemployed almost all the time. I'm unable to stop feeling ill will for people who have no offered me, and the job search has no end in sight. Some days are better than others, and some weeks are better than others, but I can't stop. Counseling helps; it helps a lot. But it's not enough.

This has been posted elsewhere on TLS recently, but it's a good one for this thread: http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-tru ... er-person/

The job market is shitty. As of right now, all of us are going to be unemployed come August. But that can't really be the end of the story. There is a lot we can do for people (I went to a decent law school, passed the bar, and have a few skills), but as of now we still either don't have the right skills for employers or else haven't effectively communicated the skills we have to the right employers. Either way, there's work to be done. You should be devoting all of your free time, or at least most of it, between now and the end of law school to developing some skills and adding value in whatever way you can. Brush up on a foreign language. Take one of those crappy $14/hr part-time jobs at a local 3-person boner law firm if you can find one. Hit the gym on a daily basis (that probably won't get you a job, but you'll feel tons better). Try to find some happiness in the process of working and improving, and see if it doesn't end up helping you out on the job front.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:55 pm

I'd just as soon open up shop with a couple of friends and get lawyers I know to send me business.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:58 pm

kalvano wrote:I'd just as soon open up shop with a couple of friends and get lawyers I know to send me business.

I don't even want to think about what a bunch of first-year law school graduates would have to pay for malpractice insurance.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:12 pm

SBL wrote:
kalvano wrote:I'd just as soon open up shop with a couple of friends and get lawyers I know to send me business.

I don't even want to think about what a bunch of first-year law school graduates would have to pay for malpractice insurance.

Its actually extremely cheap. Many malpractice insurers realize that newbies won't ever get high profile cases anyway so the premiums are low. I know a couple of start up solos that pay $100/month.

On a related note, starting up a practice with other newbies seems to not be the best route to go. Unless you are 100% sure that everyone on board is a rainmaker that is outgoing, has drive and can bring in clients its simply not worth it. You won't need 4 attorneys to flock around figuring out a DUI case you brought it, but you WILL split the profits 4 ways. If not everyone is bringing in clients on a very consistent basis its simply not worth it.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:15 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
SBL wrote:

Its actually extremely cheap. Many malpractice insurers realize that newbies won't ever get high profile cases anyway so the premiums are low. I know a couple of start up solos that pay $100/month.

On a related note, starting up a practice with other newbies seems to not be the best route to go. Unless you are 100% sure that everyone on board is a rainmaker that is outgoing, has drive and can bring in clients its simply not worth it. You won't need 4 attorneys to flock around figuring out a DUI case you brought it, but you WILL split the profits 4 ways. If not everyone is bringing in clients on a very consistent basis its simply not worth it.

They are quite good at being people people. I just mean me and one or two others. We'd have my father as "of counsel" and could hopefully not screw anything up too badly at first.

Not ideal, but better than working at Starbucks.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:24 pm

If I were going to go solo out of law school, I'd be doing bankruptcy all the way. Your clients aren't going to be sophisticated, so they're less likely to care that you're fresh out of law school, and most debtor-side bankruptcy practice is pretty routine and can be done with templates. As long as you get the gist of putting together the petition, avoiding liens, relief from stay motions, how to make a Chapter 13 plan, and so forth, you'll be good. Dealing with the Trustee's objections to confirmation will teach you how to write a good Chapter 13 Plan, but you'll eat a lot in filing fees for a while while you're learning. If you can pick up a local bank as a client and handle all their relief from stay motions, you're fucking gravy.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:34 pm

Bankruptcy and criminal defense are steady and good gigs. Criminal defense is pretty routine at the lower levels.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:53 pm

kalvano wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
SBL wrote:

They are quite good at being people people. I just mean me and one or two others. We'd have my father as "of counsel" and could hopefully not screw anything up too badly at first.

Not ideal, but better than working at Starbucks.

Seems like you're bringing everything to the table, why not just solo yourself without a partner? Idk, unless you expect clients to come breaking your door down I just don't see the point of partnering up for a most likely 2 -client-per-month start up firm. You don't need a partner to handle 2 cases a month, but splitting the profits sucks.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:14 pm

I would pick the one guy you're most sure about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:20 pm

TTH wrote:

We all know that feel. I probably waste a half an hour every day logging into Symplicity in the hope that something new will be there. Hope you're able to find something in the spring.

Same anon:

Today I got a call from the hiring partner of a firm that rejected me. I was a finalist, and he really liked me so he wanted to call me to tell me how to tell me to keep in touch and tell me how to improve. He told me that I needed to find a new reference because one of mine was rather lukewarm. While not damning, it was decidedly not good. It was the hiring partner at the firm I got no offered from, who said that he would give me a good reference and help me out even though I didn't get an offer. Thanks for nothing asshole; I feel like I just got no offered twice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:24 pm

Honestly really good feedback though. Who knows how many other jobs that douchebag would have torpedoed for you if you weren't given a heads-up on this? IMO, giving someone even a meh reference when you've explicitly told them you would serve as a reference and help them find other work is a fucking inexcusably dick move. If Karma exists, that guy will be getting herpes any second now.

Did he tell you what the guy said in his lukewarm reference specifically?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Honestly really good feedback though. Who knows how many other jobs that douchebag would have torpedoed for you if you weren't given a heads-up on this? IMO, giving someone even a meh reference when you've explicitly told them you would serve as a reference and help them find other work is a fucking inexcusably dick move. If Karma exists, that guy will be getting herpes any second now.

Yeah that hiring partner who called me is a saint. Never found out specifically what was said; he wouldn't elaborate. Not that it matters, as I won't be using that reference any more. An attorney I was having lunch with today when I told him about it said he'd get what was coming to him because what goes around comes around. But you know what? That miserable fuck is still an equity partner and I just got rejected from my best chance at a job all semester.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Honestly really good feedback though. Who knows how many other jobs that douchebag would have torpedoed for you if you weren't given a heads-up on this? IMO, giving someone even a meh reference when you've explicitly told them you would serve as a reference and help them find other work is a fucking inexcusably dick move. If Karma exists, that guy will be getting herpes any second now.

Yeah that hiring partner who called me is a saint. Never found out specifically what was said; he wouldn't elaborate. Not that it matters, as I won't be using that reference any more. An attorney I was having lunch with today when I told him about it said he'd get what was coming to him because what goes around comes around. But you know what? That miserable fuck is still an equity partner and I just got rejected from my best chance at a job all semester.

An equity partner who sucks at life. Now you know, and while he screwed you over once (probably a few times), it's never going to happen again. Meanwhile he now has the reputation as a dishonest, bridge-burning fuckwad. There's no telling how being that kind of guy has bitten him in the ass over the years, but I'll guarantee it has. He makes money, but who knows what his personal life is like.

Probably a bad idea for you to do this, but I'm tempted to say you should just out the TTT firm on TLS and warn other summers about how they're likely to get treated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

An equity partner who sucks at life. Now you know, and while he screwed you over once (probably a few times), it's never going to happen again. Meanwhile he now has the reputation as a dishonest, bridge-burning fuckwad. There's no telling how being that kind of guy has bitten him in the ass over the years, but I'll guarantee it has. He makes money, but who knows what his personal life is like.

Probably a bad idea for you to do this, but I'm tempted to say you should just out the TTT firm on TLS and warn other summers about how they're likely to get treated.

Thanks for the encouragement, anon. I would out the firm but it's basically guaranteed to out me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:26 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:10 am

You know what I'm tired of? Everybody I interview with (and am subsequently rejected by) tells me "You have a very strong resume". I think they're lying to me or it's just a stock answer that they give because they're too hard-pressed to tell me the real reason they rejected me.

Anybody else get this kind of response?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:37 am

studebaker07 wrote:You know what I'm tired of? Everybody I interview with (and am subsequently rejected by) tells me "You have a very strong resume". I think they're lying to me or it's just a stock answer that they give because they're too hard-pressed to tell me the real reason they rejected me.

Anybody else get this kind of response?

All the time, regardless of industry. Had the screener from the Office of Comptroller really compliment me, but did not get a callback. It's a stock answer for the interviewer to fill time. One of the best I got was during 1L, interviewed for ESPN and the guy said he wish his students (guy taught sports law at NY law school, I go to a CCN) had my resume. Never heard back from him. It's a meaningless statement along w/ any other "judgements" an interviewer will comment on about your qualifications in general.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:11 pm

Going into 3L Spring semester unemployed has to be by far the most empty feeling out there. The fact that I hate the region of my TT market magnifies that too. Supposed to hear back from my dream job's final interview by the end of January. If I don't get that, well, I don't even know really.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:25 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Going into 3L Spring semester unemployed has to be by far the most empty feeling out there. The fact that I hate the region of my TT market magnifies that too. Supposed to hear back from my dream job's final interview by the end of January. If I don't get that, well, I don't even know really.

I know that feel bro, and I know it well. Interviewed w my dream job, and they won't know until March or April probably.

Return to “Legal Employment”