The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22846
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:54 am

JazzOne wrote:This is just rude and uncalled for. 0Ls are allowed to post in this forum. They're just not allowed to ask questions in this forum.

Without commenting on cinephile's post, I would be careful about encouraging 0Ls to post here. Unless they have some kind of specific experience with the legal profession that gives them insight into the issues discussed here, they really shouldn't be posting, and it's generally discouraged.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:18 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
JazzOne wrote:This is just rude and uncalled for. 0Ls are allowed to post in this forum. They're just not allowed to ask questions in this forum.

Without commenting on cinephile's post, I would be careful about encouraging 0Ls to post here. Unless they have some kind of specific experience with the legal profession that gives them insight into the issues discussed here, they really shouldn't be posting, and it's generally discouraged.

Fair enough. I just don't like cinephile moderating the forum. What has she contributed to the discussion, other than venom and vulgarity?

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:38 am

JazzOne wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
JazzOne wrote:This is just rude and uncalled for. 0Ls are allowed to post in this forum. They're just not allowed to ask questions in this forum.

Without commenting on cinephile's post, I would be careful about encouraging 0Ls to post here. Unless they have some kind of specific experience with the legal profession that gives them insight into the issues discussed here, they really shouldn't be posting, and it's generally discouraged.

Fair enough. I just don't like cinephile moderating the forum. What has she contributed to the discussion, other than venom and vulgarity?


I agree with both of you. 0Ls/1Ls/2Ls should not be posting ITT, but cinephile's response was out of line.

That being said, the resume tip was actually something pertinent that a lot of people either don't know about or forget about easily. Although typically if they scan your resume they'll scan your cover letter too, so I normally use words from the job description in my cover letter rather than in my resume (I hate having a different resume for each posting....)

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:35 pm

One thing I hate about Symplicity's categories: Calling a 2-5 yrs experience required jerb "entry level." Or maybe it's just this school's Symplicity.

That said, for California 3Ls:

Associate Attorney-Environmental Law Program
Sierra Club (San Francisco, CA) (Starting Fall 2014)

As part of the national Sierra Club’s legal team, the Associate Attorney helps coordinate all aspects of the Club’s legal work, including evaluating proposed legal actions, administering ongoing litigation and participating in select litigation matters as counsel.

Scope: Under the supervision of senior and staff attorneys, the Associate Attorney evaluates proposed Sierra Club environmental litigation; serves as a legal resource for chapters and groups; helps strategize and implement programmatic legal campaigns; and participates in prosecuting litigation aimed at advancing the national Club’s top priority campaigns.

Duration: 2-year position

Job Activities:
Evaluates proposed environmental litigation so that national volunteer and staff leadership can decide whether the Sierra Club should participate in a lawsuit.
Oversees and administers ongoing Club litigation so that Club can maintain overview of its litigation docket; helps resolve problems that arise in individual lawsuits.
Serves as a legal resource for local chapters and other volunteer entities.
Helps senior legal staff implement programmatic litigation campaigns.
Limited prosecution of key Club lawsuits under the supervision of senior and staff attorneys.
Performs miscellaneous duties as required.

Knowledge & Skills:
‑‑ J.D. degree and license to practice law by the time the position begins
‑‑ Solid writing and analytical skills.
‑‑ Strong interpersonal and consensus‑building skills.
‑‑ Knowledge of environmental law.

This position is scheduled to begin in the Fall of 2014. 3rd year law students are encouraged to apply.

For full details and to apply, please visit: https://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH15/ats/caree ... =1&rid=344

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:47 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone find their school's "3L gift campaign" slightly offensive/in bad taste?

I was a 3L last year and yes I found it very much in bad taste


even if i were jerbed i'd find the practice despicable. i mean, aren't law schools already cash cows for their parent universities?
shitboomer marauders. :evil:

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:48 pm

k
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:51 pm

l
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:55 pm

rad lulz wrote:When I was looking for a job the last thing I wanted to ear was advice from fucking 0Ls

There's something that rankles me about that post

Maybe it's the "hey you unemployed people, sorry y'all are miserable, but at least I'm not going to law school!" thing



This. While I'm pleased that 0Ls can learn from a bunch of our cautionary tales, I don't want some 0L saying something like "hey you unemployed people, sorry y'all are miserable, but at least I'm not going to law school!" in this thread. That underlying self-congratulation has no place in a thread where people are ultimately wondering how they're gonna pay back giant ass student loans without a jerb, especially when a bunch of us would probably love to wash the JD off our resumes. Other threads in other subforums, fine.

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone find their school's "3L gift campaign" slightly offensive/in bad taste?

I was a 3L last year and yes I found it very much in bad taste


even if i were jerbed i'd find the practice despicable. i mean, aren't law schools already cash cows for their parent universities?
shitboomer marauders. :evil:

At my skool part of the money was to be used to find school recruiting efforts

I was like "you have to be shitting me"

Also it looks like according to campos few skoolz are cash cows any more



Relevant SCHOLARSHIP: http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/201 ... sing-money
Last edited by Bikeflip on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:00 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
rad lulz wrote:When I was looking for a job the last thing I wanted to ear was advice from fucking 0Ls

There's something that rankles me about that post

Maybe it's the "hey you unemployed people, sorry y'all are miserable, but at least I'm not going to law school!" thing



This. While I'm pleased that 0Ls can learn from a bunch of our cautionary tales, the last thing I want is someone saying something like "hey you unemployed people, sorry y'all are miserable, but at least I'm not going to law school!" That underlying self-congratulation has no place in a thread where people are ultimately wondering how they're gonna pay back giant ass student loans without a jerb, especially when a bunch of us would probably love to wash the JD off our resumes.

I guess perspective colors everything. I thought his post was kind of helpful. I didn't know that employers used software to screen resumes. When I tailor my resume for a job, I typically paraphrase the job description.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:03 pm

k
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:04 pm

I think the fact that people have spent 2 pages dissecting and discussing a "I'm glad I didn't go to law school, good luck guys and I'm sure things will work out" post shows what state unemployed grads are in. We all need to GTFO of the Vale pronto. :)

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13311
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby JenDarby » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:05 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:
rad lulz wrote:When I was looking for a job the last thing I wanted to ear was advice from fucking 0Ls

There's something that rankles me about that post

Maybe it's the "hey you unemployed people, sorry y'all are miserable, but at least I'm not going to law school!" thing



This. While I'm pleased that 0Ls can learn from a bunch of our cautionary tales, the last thing I want is someone saying something like "hey you unemployed people, sorry y'all are miserable, but at least I'm not going to law school!" That underlying self-congratulation has no place in a thread where people are ultimately wondering how they're gonna pay back giant ass student loans without a jerb, especially when a bunch of us would probably love to wash the JD off our resumes.

I guess perspective colors everything. I thought his post was kind of helpful. I didn't know that employers used software to screen resumes. When I tailor my resume for a job, I typically paraphrase the job description.

Yea I didn't know that. I don't think it necessarily applies to legal departments though. I work in the legal dept at a really huge place, but our group is still only 10 attorneys. They picked who to interview, not some computer system (I know this since we've talked about their process). I think it likely depends on the position and specific hiring processes of places.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:07 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:
rad lulz wrote:When I was looking for a job the last thing I wanted to ear was advice from fucking 0Ls

There's something that rankles me about that post

Maybe it's the "hey you unemployed people, sorry y'all are miserable, but at least I'm not going to law school!" thing



This. While I'm pleased that 0Ls can learn from a bunch of our cautionary tales, the last thing I want is someone saying something like "hey you unemployed people, sorry y'all are miserable, but at least I'm not going to law school!" That underlying self-congratulation has no place in a thread where people are ultimately wondering how they're gonna pay back giant ass student loans without a jerb, especially when a bunch of us would probably love to wash the JD off our resumes.

I guess perspective colors everything. I thought his post was kind of helpful. I didn't know that employers used software to screen resumes. When I tailor my resume for a job, I typically paraphrase the job description.


And that's a fair point, but the first past of his/her comment bugged me for the reasons above. Plus, what Barbell just poasted.

User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:29 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I think the fact that people have spent 2 pages dissecting and discussing a "I'm glad I didn't go to law school, good luck guys and I'm sure things will work out" post shows what state unemployed grads are in. We all need to GTFO of the Vale pronto. :)


Geez, this.

I hope everyone gets some light at the end of the tunnel this week. I know I need it.

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Another poasting i came across...an in-house position that surprisingly is accepting apps from fresh grads--i thought the cw was that in-house was always a lateral move, but w/e. GL guys.


IN-HOUSE COUNSEL

Somerville, MA
ACTBLUE
http://www.actblue.com
Date Posted: 11/08/2013
Job Type: ATTORNEY
Schedule Type: Full Time

Practice Areas: Administrative Law, Litigation, Political Activity/Election Law, Transactional Law

Job Description
The original job posting can be seen here.

ActBlue seeks a new lawyer interested in administrative law and political law to join our pioneering legal team. The In-House Counsel will work closely with ActBlue's General Counsel on a variety of high- and low-profile legal initiatives focused on opening new and expanded avenues for public participation in financing political activity.

The In-House Counsel will be responsible for projects involving legal research, writing, and advice. Responsibilities will fall into three main categories: proactive legal advocacy, general non-profit management, and campaign finance compliance. The In-House Counsel will assist the General Counsel in providing advice and obtaining favorable legal rulings that expand and improve upon the existing channels for political participation, with an increasing emphasis on policy work related to issues such as the relationship between participation and public financing of campaigns. Also included in the In-House Counsel's responsibilities will be addressing general legal questions that arise in the context of non-profit operations, and working with our compliance team to ensure ActBlue abides by the plethora of applicable campaign finance rules and regulations on the federal, state, and local levels.

Qualifications
Law degree from an accredited law school
Admission or pending admission to a state bar
0 - 2 years legal experience
Interest in the political process
Support for Democratic and progressive ideals
Interest in administrative law practice (interest in campaign finance law a plus)
Superior legal research and writing and inter-personal skills
Detail-oriented
Strong problem solving skills
A quick study and eagerness to learn
Salary
Salary is very competitive in the non-profit law industry and commensurate with experience. ActBlue provides a comprehensive benefits package including flexible work hours, fully-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and immediate family, a 401k program with employer matching, a generous time off policy, commuter benefits, and a professional development allotment.

Application Instructions:
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, three references, and a writing sample as pdf files to jobs@actblue.com with "In-House Counsel" in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.

ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are encouraged to apply.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:30 pm

Ty BL. Wonder what "political law" is.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:04 pm

I actually kind of agree with cinephile, though I might have been a little nicer about it. I don't appreciate a 0L posting in here and I never want to read that kind of platitude filled tripe again. Just personal opinion obviously.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby cinephile » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:52 am

Sorry, didn't realize I made anyone uncomfortable. I just don't like seeing people who have no idea what they're talking about trying to advise people in situations they know nothing about. I rarely call people out, so when I do it's because they've crossed a line.

User avatar
hichvichwoh
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:21 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby hichvichwoh » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:08 am

cinephile wrote:Sorry, didn't realize I made anyone uncomfortable. I just don't like seeing people who have no idea what they're talking about trying to advise people in situations they know nothing about. I rarely call people out, so when I do it's because they've crossed a line.


But where do we draw the line?

...

Sorry.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby a male human » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:30 am

I'm sure the 0L poster meant no harm. I didn't really mind his/her post. Where else was that post supposed to go?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:33 am

JenDarby wrote:Yea I didn't know that. I don't think it necessarily applies to legal departments though. I work in the legal dept at a really huge place, but our group is still only 10 attorneys. They picked who to interview, not some computer system (I know this since we've talked about their process). I think it likely depends on the position and specific hiring processes of places.

Even if the practice group is picking who to interview, it's extremely unlikely that they see the resumes of everyone who applies. Unless you're applying directly to a hiring partner, HR almost certainly does a preliminary screening before presenting resumes to the practice group.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:23 am

k
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22846
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:59 am

rad lulz wrote:
a male human wrote:I'm sure the 0L poster meant no harm. I didn't really mind his/her post. Where else was that post supposed to go?

Nowhere. He should not have poasted. You don't have to poast everything.

Exactly what I was going to say. Plus, he'd already started his own thread devoted to telling TLS that he's decided not to go to law school, so it's not like his speech on the subject was being chilled.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:56 am

cinephile wrote:Sorry, didn't realize I made anyone uncomfortable. I just don't like seeing people who have no idea what they're talking about trying to advise people in situations they know nothing about. I rarely call people out, so when I do it's because they've crossed a line.


No worries brother (sister? I guess I don't know), it was just a little over the top, but your point was good.

a male human wrote:I'm sure the 0L poster meant no harm. I didn't really mind his/her post. Where else was that post supposed to go?


Right, no harm meant, but there was really no need to post that at all.

Anonymous User wrote:Even if the practice group is picking who to interview, it's extremely unlikely that they see the resumes of everyone who applies. Unless you're applying directly to a hiring partner, HR almost certainly does a preliminary screening before presenting resumes to the practice group.


Why are you anon on that post?

But yeah, I agree. If you apply through any online system or anything other than a direct email to someone, most corporate resumes will be screened by some sort of software.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby JazzOne » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:01 pm

cinephile wrote:Sorry, didn't realize I made anyone uncomfortable. I just don't like seeing people who have no idea what they're talking about trying to advise people in situations they know nothing about. I rarely call people out, so when I do it's because they've crossed a line.

It's not a big deal. I got very bitter during my job search too, and let's just say that I am less than proud of some of my posts during that time. I'm pushing for a more congenial TLS now.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.