The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kobe824
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:02 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Kobe824 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:16 pm

Not gonna lie, studying for finals and waiting to hear back from interviews is miserable. I cannot concentrate worth a shit.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:30 pm

Kobe824 wrote:Not gonna lie, studying for finals and waiting to hear back from interviews is miserable. I cannot concentrate worth a shit.

Furthermore, I know my GPA won't change much and I don't think any employers are going wild about my grades anyway.

Omerta
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Omerta » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:10 pm

Good finals week for me. Feel like I smoked my exams so far and I got an interview.

I also got a call today from a federal judge that I interviewed with asking me to come in again -- the secretary didn't say what the meeting was for. Now I'm freaking out and incapable of studying. I know I'm still in the hunt, but why am I going in again after I already interviewed? There's no use in speculating and I'll find out soon enough, but holy shit I can't help being optimistic...

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby TTH » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:28 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Kobe824 wrote:Not gonna lie, studying for finals and waiting to hear back from interviews is miserable. I cannot concentrate worth a shit.

Furthermore, I know my GPA won't change much and I don't think any employers are going wild about my grades anyway.


Fucking this.

I've already got two grades back (A and A-) and my numerical average barely budged. Leaves me with zero motivation to learn commercial paper.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:59 pm

Time to take stock of this semester's job search efforts:

Didn't do a mass mail campaign. Hit up some stuff on Symplicity and tried to work some of the contacts I knew. Didn't bother with the federal govt. scramble because I don't have the resume for it. Concentrated mainly on firms, who didn't seem to really be doing a lot of hiring in the fall.

1) Callback at Waller's fall program. Rejected.
2) Phone screener off Symplicity submission to Midsize firm in home market. Got CB. Made it to final 2 people. Still waiting.
3) On-campus screener with PD in home market. Callback. Haven't heard.
4) IRS Honors. Survived a round of cuts to get an interview. No word on any further interviews or rejection.
5) Interview with white collar boutique in home market happening when I get back from break.

So still shit waiting to hear back from. I don't know if 5 interviews is good or not, but I'm really trying not to be discouraged.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Time to take stock of this semester's job search efforts:

Didn't do a mass mail campaign. Hit up some stuff on Symplicity and tried to work some of the contacts I knew. Didn't bother with the federal govt. scramble because I don't have the resume for it. Concentrated mainly on firms, who didn't seem to really be doing a lot of hiring in the fall.

1) Callback at Waller's fall program. Rejected.
2) Phone screener off Symplicity submission to Midsize firm in home market. Got CB. Made it to final 2 people. Still waiting.
3) On-campus screener with PD in home market. Callback. Haven't heard.
4) IRS Honors. Survived a round of cuts to get an interview. No word on any further interviews or rejection.
5) Interview with white collar boutique in home market happening when I get back from break.

So still shit waiting to hear back from. I don't know if 5 interviews is good or not, but I'm really trying not to be discouraged.

This is actually a lot of movement for 3L fall. Most people don't start seeing this many interviews until spring semester... if they're lucky. I think you're doing OK.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:31 am

SBL wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Time to take stock of this semester's job search efforts:

Didn't do a mass mail campaign. Hit up some stuff on Symplicity and tried to work some of the contacts I knew. Didn't bother with the federal govt. scramble because I don't have the resume for it. Concentrated mainly on firms, who didn't seem to really be doing a lot of hiring in the fall.

1) Callback at Waller's fall program. Rejected.
2) Phone screener off Symplicity submission to Midsize firm in home market. Got CB. Made it to final 2 people. Still waiting.
3) On-campus screener with PD in home market. Callback. Haven't heard.
4) IRS Honors. Survived a round of cuts to get an interview. No word on any further interviews or rejection.
5) Interview with white collar boutique in home market happening when I get back from break.

So still shit waiting to hear back from. I don't know if 5 interviews is good or not, but I'm really trying not to be discouraged.

This is actually a lot of movement for 3L fall. Most people don't start seeing this many interviews until spring semester... if they're lucky. I think you're doing OK.



...if they're lucky. Yes! You are doing ok. I suspect everyone will ramp up their efforts once finals are over. I know a few who have project work for the break and hope it turns into something more. Mass mail, network, and worry.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:31 am

During exams I've been preparing for exams in classes that were relevant to the practice areas of the firm I thought I was going to get an offer at. I didn't receive the offer, and I hope all those fucks on the hiring committee get AIDS. Forgive and forget? Fuck no. I wish nothing but ill to all of those fucks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:During exams I've been preparing for exams in classes that were relevant to the practice areas of the firm I thought I was going to get an offer at. I didn't receive the offer, and I hope all those fucks on the hiring committee get AIDS. Forgive and forget? Fuck no. I wish nothing but ill to all of those fucks.


Half my classes are directly applicable to the practice I thought I'd be slotted into. The other half are general purpose corporate classes, which I suppose will be useful anywhere if I do corporate, but still. FUUUUCCCKKKKK YOUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Time to take stock of this semester's job search efforts:

Didn't do a mass mail campaign. Hit up some stuff on Symplicity and tried to work some of the contacts I knew. Didn't bother with the federal govt. scramble because I don't have the resume for it. Concentrated mainly on firms, who didn't seem to really be doing a lot of hiring in the fall.

1) Callback at Waller's fall program. Rejected.
2) Phone screener off Symplicity submission to Midsize firm in home market. Got CB. Made it to final 2 people. Still waiting.
3) On-campus screener with PD in home market. Callback. Haven't heard.
4) IRS Honors. Survived a round of cuts to get an interview. No word on any further interviews or rejection.
5) Interview with white collar boutique in home market happening when I get back from break.

So still shit waiting to hear back from. I don't know if 5 interviews is good or not, but I'm really trying not to be discouraged.


I'd say that's pretty good. I've had 3 interviews, two of which have resulted in CBs. One rejection and still waiting on the other one. The one I'm waiting on said it'd be several weeks until they gave an answer. It's been 2 weeks and I'm getting antsy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2) Phone screener off Symplicity submission to Midsize firm in home market. Got CB. Made it to final 2 people. Still waiting.

LOL just got rejected

Kobe824
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:02 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Kobe824 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2) Phone screener off Symplicity submission to Midsize firm in home market. Got CB. Made it to final 2 people. Still waiting.

LOL just got rejected


That sucks -- that's another shitty thing about 3L hiring. Firms are usually only hiring for 1 or 2 spots and that just makes it so difficult to get the position even if the interview went well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Time to take stock of this semester's job search efforts:

Didn't do a mass mail campaign. Hit up some stuff on Symplicity and tried to work some of the contacts I knew. Didn't bother with the federal govt. scramble because I don't have the resume for it. Concentrated mainly on firms, who didn't seem to really be doing a lot of hiring in the fall.

1) Callback at Waller's fall program. Rejected.
2) Phone screener off Symplicity submission to Midsize firm in home market. Got CB. Made it to final 2 people. Still waiting.
3) On-campus screener with PD in home market. Callback. Haven't heard.
4) IRS Honors. Survived a round of cuts to get an interview. No word on any further interviews or rejection.
5) Interview with white collar boutique in home market happening when I get back from break.

So still shit waiting to hear back from. I don't know if 5 interviews is good or not, but I'm really trying not to be discouraged.



Wait. Did you get a callback at the IRS? When did you do your initial interview?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:48 pm

For those that have had 3L callbacks with mid-size/big firms, how long have you guys had to wait following the interview to hear back one way or the other?

ehshornet
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:23 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby ehshornet » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those that have had 3L callbacks with mid-size/big firms, how long have you guys had to wait following the interview to hear back one way or the other?


One firm called me up and made me offer 45 minutes later in the airport on the way back home. Another firm told me 2 weeks later that I am still under review and that they hope to get back to me asap; that firm made me offer two weeks later (So total of month). Both offers were back in September though so the time frame might be different now.

Good luck!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:34 pm

ehshornet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those that have had 3L callbacks with mid-size/big firms, how long have you guys had to wait following the interview to hear back one way or the other?


One firm called me up and made me offer 45 minutes later in the airport on the way back home. Another firm told me 2 weeks later that I am still under review and that they hope to get back to me asap; that firm made me offer two weeks later (So total of month). Both offers were back in September though so the time frame might be different now.

Good luck!!


Thanks! I had a CB 2 1/2 weeks ago and they said it'd be a few weeks since they wanted to interview everyone first. I hate all this waiting -- I check the mail every day expecting to see a rejection, haha.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2) Phone screener off Symplicity submission to Midsize firm in home market. Got CB. Made it to final 2 people. Still waiting.

LOL just got rejected

This is me again. Some things I just get off my chest:

1) Don't fucking tell me "Oh you were so close; that speaks so highly of you. You'll get it next time!" I was no offered from my summer firm, okay, THAT was the closest I've even come, and after coming basically the closest you can come and coming up short fucking excuse me if I don't really believe that being close means anything other than jack shit. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, and they're aren't any fucking prizes for second place.

2) Don't fucking tell me that this experience will "make me a better person." Fuck you. I don't know if I'll even get a job, or what that job will be. I'm not sure working retail will make me a better person, unless your definition of "better person" includes "angry substance abuser."

Agent
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Agent » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:59 pm

Sucks. Condolences.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2) Phone screener off Symplicity submission to Midsize firm in home market. Got CB. Made it to final 2 people. Still waiting.

LOL just got rejected

This is me again. Some things I just get off my chest:

1) Don't fucking tell me "Oh you were so close; that speaks so highly of you. You'll get it next time!" I was no offered from my summer firm, okay, THAT was the closest I've even come, and after coming basically the closest you can come and coming up short fucking excuse me if I don't really believe that being close means anything other than jack shit. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, and they're aren't any fucking prizes for second place.

2) Don't fucking tell me that this experience will "make me a better person." Fuck you. I don't know if I'll even get a job, or what that job will be. I'm not sure working retail will make me a better person, unless your definition of "better person" includes "angry substance abuser."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:55 pm

Just got a rejection letter for an application I sent out in July. Like, I realized you guys weren't interested when I didn't hear back within a week or two; you don't have to rub it in my face 5 months later.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a rejection letter for an application I sent out in July. Like, I realized you guys weren't interested when I didn't hear back within a week or two; you don't have to rub it in my face 5 months later.


Last week, I got my rejection back from my SA application almost a year and half ago from a pretty large national firm...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got a rejection letter for an application I sent out in July. Like, I realized you guys weren't interested when I didn't hear back within a week or two; you don't have to rub it in my face 5 months later.


Last week, I got my rejection back from my SA application almost a year and half ago from a pretty large national firm...


I've gotten (from several sources actually) multiple rejections. The most recent came two weeks apart, one addressed to a "Ms." and one to a "Mr." but they were both my name and both a rejection. Also apparently having a Mr. in front of your name gets you two more weeks of consideration.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:22 pm

Got a rejection from fulbright, where the last question in a series of interviews was: "are you actually interested in corp finance, or is this better than nothing?" Glad that the legal world is treating me as a sort of scavenger. Graduating this semester and will be taking the feb bar, so not sure how job search will proceed. May take on some project work in the meantime and then go on school's fellowship in March, and hope things improve from there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Are 3L Symplicity posts welcome in this thread?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are 3L Symplicity posts welcome in this thread?

yeah sure, why not

Anonymous User
Posts: 273156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:40 pm

Bellin McCormick - Des Moines (business background required)

Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP Chicago - JD/MD

Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP Chicago - Litigation

Fidelity National Title Group (Omaha, NE) - Associate Claims Counsel

Sorry I don't have any contact info




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.