The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chrisbru

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:49 pm

northwood wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Would it be stupid to go right to MBA school from here?

why add more debt to your debt?

Would only go if I could get a full ride and TAships to cover living expenses.

target

Postby target » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:07 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Would only go if I could get a full ride and TAships to cover living expenses.

I mean how much debt do you have at this point? And what options will you have after business school?

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:15 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:

From what I understand the MBA is the second most useless degree out there after a JD unless you go to a top 4 school or so.

If you're in 6 figure debt and have no job chances are that barring a miracle you are IBRing for life. Thus, he answer to your question is a "why not."

The MBA is more about what you bring to the table than law school, they don't rely on grades to get you jobs, that is on you from the moment you enroll. Top 4 is wrong, its called the M7 (7 best business schools), and up until 15-20, these schools seem worth it, but only if you have a resume that will get you interviews for the positions you want. Don't listen to this person about IBRing for life, you never know what can happen. PM if you want info on finance/consulting, which is the alternate path I took after striking out at OGI.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:20 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:

From what I understand the MBA is the second most useless degree out there after a JD unless you go to a top 4 school or so.

If you're in 6 figure debt and have no job chances are that barring a miracle you are IBRing for life. Thus, he answer to your question is a "why not."

A MBA is useless in terms of practical experience. It teaches you almost nothing. However, there are many quality MBA programs ranked in the top 25. However, if you don't have 2-3 years or more, pre-MBA experience, I don't think its worth it. Most of the MBA students I know, at my undergrad and law program, get decent jobs. From I-banking to Accenture. But if you don't have that pre-MBA experience, then you might as well apply to non legal jobs NOW.

Postby 06102016 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:25 pm

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:59 pm

target wrote:
I mean how much debt do you have at this point? And what options will you have after business school?

$90k. Probably decent options, I know lots of people in good companies. Better than law at least. And my "go-getter" attitude towards employment works better in business than this abysmal law market.

$$$$$$ wrote:
The MBA is more about what you bring to the table than law school, they don't rely on grades to get you jobs, that is on you from the moment you enroll. Top 4 is wrong, its called the M7 (7 best business schools), and up until 15-20, these schools seem worth it, but only if you have a resume that will get you interviews for the positions you want. Don't listen to this person about IBRing for life, you never know what can happen. PM if you want info on finance/consulting, which is the alternate path I took after striking out at OGI.

Finance undergrad, worked for a Fortune 100 company for an 8-month co-op (took time off from school) then a F50 company for a summer and then for a year between undergrad and law school. I went to law school because it was what I always wanted to do, but in retrospect I should have worked longer then went to MBA school. My undergrad GPA wasn't great (3.02) but my law school GPA is a lot better. Above average for most T25 MBA programs (looking at Minnesota and Northwestern based on GMAT practice scores+studying which I expect should net me a 30-40 point gain). PM'ing you right after this post though.

sparty99 wrote:
A MBA is useless in terms of practical experience. It teaches you almost nothing. However, there are many quality MBA programs ranked in the top 25. However, if you don't have 2-3 years or more, pre-MBA experience, I don't think its worth it. Most of the MBA students I know, at my undergrad and law program, get decent jobs. From I-banking to Accenture. But if you don't have that pre-MBA experience, then you might as well apply to non legal jobs NOW.

Good call with the permaban, but this is one of the rare good advice posts it seems. I do have pre-MBA experience, but only 2 years if you count internships. Also worked in real estate finance my 1L summer along with a firm job. I do know that MBA options are better than law at this point (less hours + more money, and travel potential which is actually a plus for me). I am applying for non-legal jobs at this point as well.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:38 pm

slackademic wrote:Oh, I think I meant to permaban you earlier. Lemme fix that.

Fucking thank you. That guy was just becoming a bigger and bigger asshole every day.

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:23 pm

beyond offended to receive a letter from the dean of my law school looking for money today :roll:

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:57 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:

From what I understand the MBA is the second most useless degree out there after a JD unless you go to a top 4M7 school or so.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:33 am

courtneylove wrote:beyond offended to receive a letter from the dean of my law school looking for money today :roll:

Did you tell him or her where to shove it?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:52 am

My PAYE application was processed in under two weeks, just FYI.

And thanks to slackademic.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:22 am

Sitting in class and saw I had a call from a blocked number. Thought that maybe after all of my mass mailing I would get some kind of bite. No voicemail :(

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:44 am

spleenworship wrote:
courtneylove wrote:beyond offended to receive a letter from the dean of my law school looking for money today :roll:

I kinda wanna send a letter back to the Dean telling him that I am accepting donations too and given that I have contributed 150K to his fund he really needs to start contributing to mine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:08 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

I kinda wanna send a letter back to the Dean telling him that I am accepting donations too and given that I have contributed 150K to his fund he really needs to start contributing to mine.

One of my friends donated a dollar, which I think should cover any postage costs for future solicitations.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:10 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I kinda wanna send a letter back to the Dean telling him that I am accepting donations too and given that I have contributed 150K to his fund he really needs to start contributing to mine.

I am personally still annoyed at the "3L giving campaign" we had at our school.

deebs

Postby deebs » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:18 pm

Received offer at a big4 today in their state group. Looking for any advice about career paths for jd's who went this route. I was told I'd basically just fill out different state tax returns for the first two years. Am I really going to be attractive to law firms in a couple years solely because big4 is on my resume?

I have some time to decide, and I'm also waiting on some other places. If anyone can PM me anything they know, either themselves or through friends, it would be greatly appreciated.

Void

Postby Void » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:39 pm

kalvano wrote:My PAYE application was processed in under two weeks, just FYI.

How were you notified when it went through?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:25 pm

I failed the NY Bar. Graduated from a T14.

I'm on a fellowship right now anyway, so it isn't that bad. If I took the DC Bar (less subjects/no distinctions/MPT Goodness) would it be bad? I don't really like living in NY and I am living in DC now. Thoughts?

I was thinking about taking NY in July. But If i take NY in Feb. I could fail again. I don't want to take that risk.

Thoughts?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I failed the NY Bar. Graduated from a T14.

I'm on a fellowship right now anyway, so it isn't that bad. If I took the DC Bar (less subjects/no distinctions/MPT Goodness) would it be bad? I don't really like living in NY and I am living in DC now. Thoughts?

I was thinking about taking NY in July. But If i take NY in Feb. I could fail again. I don't want to take that risk.

Thoughts?

Have you thought about Maryland?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:31 pm

Take the easiest state bar and waive into DC. I recommend Maryland.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:44 pm

deebs wrote:Received offer at a big4 today in their state group. Looking for any advice about career paths for jd's who went this route. I was told I'd basically just fill out different state tax returns for the first two years. Am I really going to be attractive to law firms in a couple years solely because big4 is on my resume?

I have some time to decide, and I'm also waiting on some other places. If anyone can PM me anything they know, either themselves or through friends, it would be greatly appreciated.

GOOD SHIT MAN

Contact Anthony Davis via pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:47 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I failed the NY Bar. Graduated from a T14.

Thoughts?

Have you thought about Maryland?

I failed the NY Bar b/c my MBE was really low. I suck at multiple choice tests and I knew I may fail when taking the course with Barbri. In fact, my percentage breakdown for each subject (on the MBE) was the SAME percent. it was scary. I'd only take Maryland to waive into DC. Do you think it would be odd to employers if I just took DC?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:14 am

Void wrote:
kalvano wrote:My PAYE application was processed in under two weeks, just FYI.

How were you notified when it went through?

Email saying I had a new message in my account inbox. I get everything electronically though.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:15 am

I have a skype interview coming up. I saw some good advice for those the other day. Was it in here?

I'm happy to look, but I don't want to waste my time if I was imagining things.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:15 am

People who really need DC often take DC because it takes so long to waive in, so I doubt anyone will think its weird.

Return to “Legal Employment”