The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Being an unemployed grad/3L is shitty enough. Everybody knows this but they still keep coming here to berate people. Get a fucking life.

For reals. I pop on here occasionally just to read and I find that people here are bickering over nothing.

I don't have energy to get pissed off at someone on an internet forum over nothing.

Postby 06102016 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:35 pm

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also got admitted today, and have to say I was underwhelmed by the ceremony (first department NY). I don't feel that different and I am still struggling for a real job, but now can change my status on my resume if that helps anything.

It does make you different in a good way.

Some perspective that I hope may help: I hung out with a friend of mine last night who graduated in 2012, failed the bar twice, and has been hustling (really, really, really hustling) for a job for 18 months out of law school with no luck. She gets results in a few weeks and, if she fails again, I don't know what she's going to do. The sad thing is that she's got some health issues that really affect her test-taking ability, especially for 3 days, but she doesn't get extra time or anything. She did well/was on LR, studied hard for the bar, but just seems unable to pass.

Gainfully Unemployed

Postby Gainfully Unemployed » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:36 pm

slackademic wrote:
bearmarket2013 wrote:What you need to prepare for is the idea of NEVER finding work as am attorney. Period. Along with that theme, prepare for the shame/embarassment of facing shitboomer relatives who all assume there's something "wrong" with you (i.e, stupid, lazy, terrible public speaker, etc) since all ShiotBoomers see law as a super-duper degree and anyone not making big $$$ like their boomer pals (or LOL not even able to land a job/living with parents) and thus you must really be a major league loser. This theme will also likely apply in spades to your non-college friends. It's hard and it sucks, be prepare yourself for possbily a few years of it until you figure out an alternative career path.

IMO the sooner you forget about being a "lawyer" the better off you'll be.

banned for alting and trolling.

Yay!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:20 pm

hiima3L wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also got admitted today, and have to say I was underwhelmed by the ceremony (first department NY). I don't feel that different and I am still struggling for a real job, but now can change my status on my resume if that helps anything.

It does make you different in a good way.

Some perspective that I hope may help: I hung out with a friend of mine last night who graduated in 2012, failed the bar twice, and has been hustling (really, really, really hustling) for a job for 18 months out of law school with no luck. She gets results in a few weeks and, if she fails again, I don't know what she's going to do. The sad thing is that she's got some health issues that really affect her test-taking ability, especially for 3 days, but she doesn't get extra time or anything. She did well/was on LR, studied hard for the bar, but just seems unable to pass.

The compare thing doesn't work well for me since I easily turn it negative. One of the skills from DBT that I decided to forgo. But I do appreciate the sentiment.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:39 pm

Surprisingly leaving the Vale as of this afternoon. Very unexpected, but very grateful. And it happened just as I was enrolling to become a welder, too.

Best of luck to all the Valers out there - it will come.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:05 pm

deadpanic wrote:Surprisingly leaving the Vale as of this afternoon. Very unexpected, but very grateful. And it happened just as I was enrolling to become a welder, too.

CONGRATS!!

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:24 pm

deadpanic wrote:Surprisingly leaving the Vale as of this afternoon. Very unexpected, but very grateful. And it happened just as I was enrolling to become a welder, too.

Congrats. Whats the position?

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:56 pm

Thanks y'all. It's a small firm position (~10 attorneys). Mainly shitlaw and I couldn't be happier.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:49 pm

Awesome dude, CONGRATS! Have a beer and celebrate.

Also - I lol'd (even if you were serious, it was perfectly timed).

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:54 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:

CONGRATS!!

ETA: there's great money in welding.... for anyone else thinking about that.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:04 am

chrisbru wrote:

Awesome dude, CONGRATS! Have a beer and celebrate.

Also - I lol'd (even if you were serious, it was perfectly timed).

It was definitely a response to whatever bitter dude posted (and then was subsequently banned) that. I would be an atrocious welder.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:28 am

Anyone else having trouble signing up for income-based repayment plan?

The IRS linking page throws me an error saying, "We're sorry, you can only enter this site through the application on StudentLoans.gov" even though that's precisely what I'm doing.

I have tried this on different computers, different locations, and different browsers--with the same result.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:34 am

I'm about to go broke. Like no cash. Fuck.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:03 am

a male human wrote:Anyone else having trouble signing up for income-based repayment plan?

The IRS linking page throws me an error saying, "We're sorry, you can only enter this site through the application on StudentLoans.gov" even though that's precisely what I'm doing.

I have tried this on different computers, different locations, and different browsers--with the same result.

I signed up like a week ago and haven't heard anything from them after I submitted the application. Though I didn't have a problem with opening the app. Maybe its crashing cause every law grad in the nation is freaking out trying to sign up right now.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:30 am

a male human wrote:Anyone else having trouble signing up for income-based repayment plan?

Apparently there are some issues with the site. Just fax in a paper application and you'll be fine. It will take maybe 10 extra minutes to finish from the electronic.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:08 am

Rejected from second of three firms I had callbacks with. This was in a town of 30k people. Feel even more defeated at this point. The other callback was over 3 weeks ago, so I can only assume they extended an offer and are just waiting to hear back.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm about to go broke. Like no cash. Fuck.

Donate plasma?

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:53 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:

I signed up like a week ago and haven't heard anything from them after I submitted the application. Though I didn't have a problem with opening the app. Maybe its crashing cause every law grad in the nation is freaking out trying to sign up right now.

mr. wednesday wrote:

Apparently there are some issues with the site. Just fax in a paper application and you'll be fine. It will take maybe 10 extra minutes to finish from the electronic.

Could be the flood of students trying to sign up. But anyway, it seems to have been resolved. From a StudentLoans support person:
"There was an issue regarding users being unable to connect to the IRS Data Retrieval Tool Web site while completing the IBR Application on StudentLoans.gov. We can now inform you that the issue has been resolved, so you can go back to the Web site and complete the application at your earliest convenience."

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:38 pm

Would it be stupid to go right to MBA school from here?

FamilyLawEsq

Postby FamilyLawEsq » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:48 pm

It depends on the quality of the MBA program. If you are not going to a top school, I would not do it.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:49 pm

chrisbru wrote:Would it be stupid to go right to MBA school from here?

why add more debt to your debt?

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:22 pm

That feel when you realize there are no job postings and you already mass mailed

...fuuuuu. Today is a holding pattern day, I guess. :|

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:42 pm

chrisbru wrote:Would it be stupid to go right to MBA school from here?

From what I understand the MBA is the second most useless degree out there after a JD unless you go to a top 4 school or so.

why add more debt to your debt?

If you're in 6 figure debt and have no job chances are that barring a miracle you are IBRing for life. Thus, he answer to your question is a "why not."

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:44 pm

Met with a partner of a firm today who basically told me to mass mail everyone and told me to be choosy and not "settle" for Skadden/Cravath because they won't give me any real experience as opposed to the smaller practices. It was hard to resist laughing, but even harder to think I wasted time on this dude who has no clue what is happening to the industry.

Return to “Legal Employment”