The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
superhanz

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby superhanz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:58 pm

a male human wrote:More likely these people who got the job made the interviewers like them, applied at the perfect time, and just maybe were more articulate either in person or through their writing sample. There is a lot of luck involved-- not all interviewers like me, but some do-- but don't stress about other "less-qualified" people getting jobs, because it isn't true.

I recently experienced the sting of being displaced by a "less qualified" person. I was hoping to turn my part-time law clerk job into a full-time associate position. Unfortunately, the partners had more work than I could handle on a 20 hour work week so they decided to hire a new associate, who graduated from an unaccredited law school. I still have my part-time position, but my future with the firm appears to be bleak.

What stings the most is that I had several years of work experience with this firm, and I was asked to update the new guy's computer in what was once my office. Oh well, at least I have been continuously applying for alternative jobs since this summer; hopefully someone out there will bite.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:23 pm

So how're you guys going about your job search? Any particular or special websites you'd recommend? Also, I'm finding that CA's bar chapters tend to have some really pricey annual membership fees. Any tips on that?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:10 pm

sparty99 wrote:
It makes complete sense. They went with the person they connected with during the interview. They wanted a firm fit that they can mold. Anyone can learn about insurance defense. Did you tell them you wanted the job? Or did you just answer their questions? Were your answers smooth? Did you feel a connection with the interviewers? Did you explain any weaknesses in your background?

Oh fuck off dickbag. This thread is for venting and getting help, not kicking people when they are down.

To answer your questions: Yes, I came back for an additional interview that no one else did because some partners had last minute obligations during my callback and I didn't get to meet as many people. I did not just answer their questions, I felt my conversation with each person was very strong. My answers were smooth. I felt a good connection with nearly all of the partners. And yes I explained the weaknesses.

I left the interview feeling like I'd be a perfect fit for the firm, which is why I'm so disappointed.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:29 pm

chrisbru wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
It makes complete sense. They went with the person they connected with during the interview. They wanted a firm fit that they can mold. Anyone can learn about insurance defense. Did you tell them you wanted the job? Or did you just answer their questions? Were your answers smooth? Did you feel a connection with the interviewers? Did you explain any weaknesses in your background?

Oh fuck off dickbag. This thread is for venting and getting help, not kicking people when they are down.

To answer your questions: Yes, I came back for an additional interview that no one else did because some partners had last minute obligations during my callback and I didn't get to meet as many people. I did not just answer their questions, I felt my conversation with each person was very strong. My answers were smooth. I felt a good connection with nearly all of the partners. And yes I explained the weaknesses.

I left the interview feeling like I'd be a perfect fit for the firm, which is why I'm so disappointed.

Whatever. You are the hater. Another person said the exact same thing that I did, but yet you attack me. You have also attacked my other posts. Additionally, you never actually said that you told them you wanted the job.

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/arti ... -candidate

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:32 pm

sparty99 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Whatever. You are the hater. Another person said the exact same thing that I did, but yet you attack me. You have also attacked my other posts. Additionally, you never actually said that you told them you wanted the job.

Why are you in this thread? All you do is attack people.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:48 pm

sparty99 wrote:

I am definitely a hater of you. You repeatedly act like a dick in a thread that is for support. The other person that said similar things to you did it in a way that was much more supportive and considerably less douchebaggy.

And yes, I told them I want the job. How dense are you?

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:56 pm

chrisbru wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

I am definitely a hater of you. You repeatedly act like a dick in a thread that is for support. The other person that said similar things to you did it in a way that was much more supportive and considerably less douchebaggy.

I'm pretty sure you didn't tell them you wanted the job or why they should hire you. But hopefully in your next interview you will do those things rather then attack me when I'm actually providing useful advice.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:26 pm

sparty99 wrote: I'm pretty sure you didn't tell them you wanted the job or why they should hire you. But hopefully in your next interview you will do those things rather then attack me when I'm actually providing useful advice.

Were you there watching me? What useful advice did you provide that I didn't already know? You're not being helpful, you're being an asshole.

I fought to get this interview even after not being selected for OCI with the firm. I know how to interview. But hopefully in your next life you'll be a nice person rather than attacking people when they are already down to make yourself feel better about yourself.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:34 pm

Chris, he's an asshole, just ignore him. You can obviously interview fine, since you made it as far as you did. Hiring is (seemingly) totally random once you get to a certain point. Maybe the other person knew someone at the firm, maybe they liked his tie better, maybe there is no good reason. It's really shitty, but such is life. Try not to get to hung up on it because it will just drive you crazy for no good reason.

I've been there, so close you can smell the cleaning chemicals in your new office, only to have it jerked away. It really, really sucks, and I'm sorry it happened to you. if you ever want to, feel free to PM me so you can vent without having certain posters kick you for no good reason.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:36 pm

sparty99 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

I'm pretty sure you didn't tell them you wanted the job or why they should hire you. But hopefully in your next interview you will do those things rather then attack me when I'm actually providing useful advice.

Knock it the fuck off. Even if you we're right, and we have no proof either way, you are coming off like a douche. This is a place for support. And we take each other at our words.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:18 pm

kalvano wrote:Chris, he's an asshole, just ignore him. You can obviously interview fine, since you made it as far as you did. Hiring is (seemingly) totally random once you get to a certain point. Maybe the other person knew someone at the firm, maybe they liked his tie better, maybe there is no good reason. It's really shitty, but such is life. Try not to get to hung up on it because it will just drive you crazy for no good reason.

I've been there, so close you can smell the cleaning chemicals in your new office, only to have it jerked away. It really, really sucks, and I'm sorry it happened to you. if you ever want to, feel free to PM me so you can vent without having certain posters kick you for no good reason.

Yeah I guess another thing I don't understand is that 4 people called the firm to vouch for me without me asking them at all. It is what it is though. Still waiting to hear back from two other callbacks though, and still applying, so I'm not completely lost... I'm just not sure I'll find another gig with a firm I liked so much that also that pays as much.

Postby 06102016 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:23 pm

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:41 am

I got a call a few minutes ago from my main contact at the firm that I really wanted. She said they "never call" but that she wanted to give me more than a standard form letter. She said she really appreciated me coming back in and it was the closest decision they've ever had to make. She said everyone really liked me, that I interviewed well, and that she was sure I "wouldn't be on the market much longer."

Not sure if I feel better or worse. :/

Also: Maybe now you can STFU Sparty.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:10 am

chrisbru wrote:I got a call a few minutes ago from my main contact at the firm that I really wanted. She said they "never call" but that she wanted to give me more than a standard form letter. She said she really appreciated me coming back in and it was the closest decision they've ever had to make. She said everyone really liked me, that I interviewed well, and that she was sure I "wouldn't be on the market much longer."

As hard as it is, try to feel better about it. I had a similar experience and frankly I'm still sad I didn't get that particular job, but in order to avoid feeling like death I kind of have to take it as a sign I have the goods and the qualifications and the talent for the job, I just have to keep shooting for it. This is really hard to do, I fully admit. There are many days I'm not convinced of this but I have to keep reminding myself of it.

Void

Postby Void » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:13 am

What's with the Aspergers outbreak in this thread? Nobody wants to hear some random internet asshole offer unsolicited advice about what they could have done differently- especially where that advice is clearly based upon groundless assumptions. I can't fathom what motivates these fucktoads to contribute to this thread.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:29 am

Pretzel_Logic wrote:As hard as it is, try to feel better about it. I had a similar experience and frankly I'm still sad I didn't get that particular job, but in order to avoid feeling like death I kind of have to take it as a sign I have the goods and the qualifications and the talent for the job, I just have to keep shooting for it. This is really hard to do, I fully admit. There are many days I'm not convinced of this but I have to keep reminding myself of it.

Thanks bro, and that's a good point. I'll try to keep that in mind while I'm following up with other firms this week.

Void wrote:What's with the Aspergers outbreak in this thread? Nobody wants to hear some random internet asshole offer unsolicited advice about what they could have done differently- especially where that advice is clearly based upon groundless assumptions. I can't fathom what motivates these fucktoads to contribute to this thread.

I almost didn't recognize you with the new 'tar. And agree with you as usual.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:41 am

chrisbru wrote:I got a call a few minutes ago from my main contact at the firm that I really wanted. She said they "never call" but that she wanted to give me more than a standard form letter. She said she really appreciated me coming back in and it was the closest decision they've ever had to make. She said everyone really liked me, that I interviewed well, and that she was sure I "wouldn't be on the market much longer."

I had a similar experience and it made me feel a little better. It at least shows you that you're doing things the right way in the interviews. I hope one of the other two callbacks comes through.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:56 am

[quote="chrisbru"]I got a call a few minutes ago from my main contact at the firm that I really wanted. She said they "never call" but that she wanted to give me more than a standard form letter. She said she really appreciated me coming back in and it was the closest decision they've ever had to make. She said everyone really liked me, that I interviewed well, and that she was sure I "wouldn't be on the market much longer."

[quote]

You should feel much better because your future improved. I know we are all focused on the present because we need jobs, experience, and money to pay off loans. However, the vast majority of us will not be at the same place we started in the next few years. If you really want to work at that firm, your firm contact has essentially put her foot in the door for you in the future. If a junior attorney position opens up in the future, you will have a better shot with them or a similar firm.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:04 am

Well, congrats. Cause my next suggestion was that you actually call them and find out why you were not chosen.

Void

Postby Void » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:04 am

It obviously still sucks that it didn't work out but keep in mind that they didnt have to make that call- they obviously wanted to keep the bridge with you still standing for the future. If I were you I would also not be embarrassed to feel good just knowing that you were definitely THE runner up. As you know, most of the time when rejection comes you can only speculate as to how close you came/what you could have done better. Sounds like it was so close in your case that there was nothing you could have controlled to improve your shot- and that's worth taking a second to feel proud of.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:23 am

legalese_retard wrote:You should feel much better because your future improved. I know we are all focused on the present because we need jobs, experience, and money to pay off loans. However, the vast majority of us will not be at the same place we started in the next few years. If you really want to work at that firm, your firm contact has essentially put her foot in the door for you in the future. If a junior attorney position opens up in the future, you will have a better shot with them or a similar firm.

Void wrote:It obviously still sucks that it didn't work out but keep in mind that they didnt have to make that call- they obviously wanted to keep the bridge with you still standing for the future. If I were you I would also not be embarrassed to feel good just knowing that you were definitely THE runner up. As you know, most of the time when rejection comes you can only speculate as to how close you came/what you could have done better. Sounds like it was so close in your case that there was nothing you could have controlled to improve your shot- and that's worth taking a second to feel proud of.

Thanks for the thoughts... Both great ways to look at it. I think you're right about getting stuck on the present and not thinking about the future.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:27 am

j
Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

niners49

Postby niners49 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:03 pm

Sorry to hear, chris. Who knows, if there is another opening, that might lead to something since you left such a good impression on them.

sparty99 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Seriously, if you don't have anything positive to say to someone who is at suffering through a low point right now, shut the fuck up.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:23 pm

niners49 wrote:Sorry to hear, chris. Who knows, if there is another opening, that might lead to something since you left such a good impression on them.

sparty99 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Seriously, if you don't have anything positive to say to someone who is at suffering through a low point right now, shut the fuck up.

Whatever, bro. This dude routinley hijacks my posts. Even after supplying a joke about home depot that had nothing to do with him, he rages with anger and starts cussing at me. I'm actually over his interview and what I wrote was no different then what another person wrote. Y'all can go back to your depressing posts. I´m over it. This is the most depressing thread on this site. All y'all do is complain about not finding jobs and talk $hit about the competition who got the job over you. I understand why some people don't visit this thread, it just makes them more depressed. Y'all can spare me with anymore responses to my posts and your constant need to cuss and say the "f" word. I'm not amused.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:38 pm

sparty99 wrote:Whatever, bro. This dude routinley hijacks my posts. Even after supplying a joke about home depot that had nothing to do with him, he rages with anger and starts cussing at me. I'm actually over his interview and what I wrote was no different then what another person wrote. Y'all can go back to your depressing posts. I´m over it. This is the most depressing thread on this site. All y'all do is complain about not finding jobs and talk $hit about the competition who got the job over you. I understand why some people don't visit this thread, it just makes them more depressed. Y'all can spare me with anymore responses to my posts and your constant need to cuss and say the "f" word. I'm not amused.

...Umm...you realize you can just leave this thread and never come back instead of coming in here to post about how everyone here is depressing and sucks and everyone should spare you the responses. So yeah, you should leave. No one will miss you. Promise.

Return to “Legal Employment”