Anonymous User wrote:Need some advice everyone. I'm currently working at two firms this semester and both want me to continue working there this coming semester. I'm feeling burned out after doing it for an entire semester and am considering tossing my eggs into Firm #1 and going that route, but I want to hear your advice. There's a possibility of employment at both. I have good grades (comfortably top 20%) and have strong local ties. Previous experience includes a semester a federal agency, in-house, and a RA job.
Firm #1: national plaintiff class action firm. Two offices in two different jurisdictions totaling 15 attorneys. Primary practice areas are consumer fraud (what I'm doing with them now), antitrust, M&A, securities, whistleblower, etc. They pay market -what that is, I'm not sure. Litigation is almost exclusively in federal courts and a lot of MDL stuff (obviously). The attorneys I work for both really like me (personality and work) and want to up my hours so I can get exposure to other partners for my benefit if a spot opens up for an associate next year. I like the work but P side stuff is... odd. It's relaxing but they only pick winners, so I feel like the skillset I'll get is narrow. The office culture is a bid odd - everyone is very to themselves and there is minimal support staff.
Firm #2: local 30 attorney defense firm. Only office and it's pretty far out location wise (the first firm is right a long a train stop, so I could live wherever). They do a lot of municipal representation, in addition to PI, comm lit, and all that. Getting out there takes me about an hour all said right now (leaving at 6:30 am and getting home around 8:30pm). I like the work but it's pretty low profile. I've done a lot of small claims work and a decent bit of employment work. The office culture is great and everyone is helpful and nice. There's a metric fuck ton of support staff. If it was closer, I'd like it more.
Anyone care to weigh in? Both are pressuring me to come back and I don't know if I can do it for another semester (although the money is nice, if I do both again I'd clear around 3k/month). I'm also thinking going full speed at one would up my offer chance since I wouldn't be stretched nearly as much. Part of me thinks I'm crazy for turning one down when I have no guarantee of an offer at either.
If you are equally unsure of a permanent offer at either firm, then I'd probably continue to work at both if you can swing it. Without really knowing anything about the firms, I'd rather have the potential of an offer from two places rather than one. Then again, putting in more work at one firm will allow the firm attorneys to get a better idea of your work product and abilities. It's a tough decision.