The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Pretzel_Logic

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:29 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:good luck, bru.

After a flurry of activity last week and the week before, complete radio silence for me this week. :x Raaaaaaaaage.

Sorry to hear that man... Hopefully that just means people are discussing your application to call you tomorrow!

geez I hope you're right. I have to give notice to vacate with my apartment complex next week. :|

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:35 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

After a flurry of activity last week and the week before, complete radio silence for me this week. :x Raaaaaaaaage.

Sorry to hear that man... Hopefully that just means people are discussing your application to call you tomorrow!

geez I hope you're right. I have to give notice to vacate with my apartment complex next week. :|

Are you exercising? Make sure you don't neglect your health. And try reading a book for pleasure. Desperation is your enemy right now.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:39 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Are you exercising? Make sure you don't neglect your health. And try reading a book for pleasure. Desperation is your enemy right now.

doing all those things. I'm working part time, but I'm not going to get paid until January at the earliest (because they're federal funds).

Something will work out, I'm just nervous coming down to the wire like this.

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:07 am

Sorry if this has been answered already—I seem to recall there was some discussion about this a while back—but what are the differences between PAYE and IBR? I did some Googling but didn't find any clear differences (20- vs. 25-year payment?). Edit: Just did some snooping around on this topic and found a pretty good post (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=192753&p=7056669&hilit=paye#p7056669). Additional insight, especially on the next question, would be much appreciated, however.

Also, is there a hard deadline to applying for either? I didn't find anything on that, but with a Facebook friend writing about applying to PAYE and November quickly approaching, it got on my mind.

It seems I will qualify for PAYE at least, so I think I should apply as soon as I find out what the difference is with IBR.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:59 am

PAYE is shorter than IBR (20 v. 25 years) and caps your payments at a lower percentage of your income (or some calculation thereof) than IBR does (I think it's 10% v. 15% but can't remember), so you pay less and your debt is forgiven sooner. So PAYE is clearly better than IBR. (I'm not really sure they're even two independent options - it seems more like if you don't qualify for PAYE, you do IBR; otherwise if you have a partial financial hardship and want to pay based on your income, you'd automatically do PAYE; I feel like PAYE has superseded IBR in that way. IBR was around before PAYE, but now there's no reason to do it if you qualify for PAYE.)

Also, according to the federal student loan website, you can change your payment plan whenever you like, so there shouldn't be a deadline (however, it may take them a bit to process your paperwork, since everyone will be adding plans in November, so I would get it in early).

(Edit: didn't realize you'd linked to a post of mine until after I posted this! Sorry for the repetition. Still true, though.)

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:19 am

I'm 99% sure that you either qualify for PAYE or IBR, it isn't an option thing. You do PAYE if you meet the criteria, and if not (like you took out loans before the cutoff) you do IBR.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:21 am

So I've been off this site for a while. I was wondering if things had gotten any better with hiring--now this thread is 160 pages. I guess that answers my question somewhat. :(

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:36 am

chrisbru wrote:I'm 99% sure that you either qualify for PAYE or IBR, it isn't an option thing. You do PAYE if you meet the criteria, and if not (like you took out loans before the cutoff) you do IBR.

This is exactly correct. Technically, if you qualified for PAYE you could chose to instead take the worse terms of IBR at no potential advantage to yourself, but why would you do that unless you were either stupid or ignorant of your options? Everyone who takes out their first loan in 2014 or later has their own terms which look identical to PAYE, and I don't believe they have the option to do anything but that if they want an income driven repayment plan.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:40 pm

Ugh. Waiting is agonizing.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:43 pm

Well fuck me, I give up. I have so much shit to get done today, but I just want to go home and lay in bed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:45 pm

Rejection from a job I really wanted today, so I'm still in the vale. Don't know what I'll do if bar results are bad

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:48 pm

chrisbru wrote:Well fuck me, I give up. I have so much shit to get done today, but I just want to go home and lay in bed.

:cry:

I vote get your shit done, then start drinking. Or drink while getting shit done.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Jessuf wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Well fuck me, I give up. I have so much shit to get done today, but I just want to go home and lay in bed.

I vote get your shit done, then start drinking. Or drink while getting shit done.

If I didn't have to be at school in the clinic office, I'd take option two. So option one it is.

I am stunned. I got beat out for an insurance defense job (which is exactly what I did last summer) by someone who an all criminal prosecution resume. It makes zero sense.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:27 pm

chrisbru wrote:I am stunned. I got beat out for an insurance defense job (which is exactly what I did last summer) by someone who an all criminal prosecution resume. It makes zero sense.

sorry dude. job hunting makes no effing sense. my temp job ended today because our dude took a plea and I just got a rejection email from a different prospect. I'm fighting the urge to lay in bed and mope myself.

and by fighting the urge, I mean I had three panic attacks yesterday and keep spontaneously bursting into tears, so I'm not handling the Vale well at all. Gotta get my shizz together. This weekend = beast mode for firing out applications because I don't know what else to do.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:28 pm

BruceWayne wrote:So I've been off this site for a while. I was wondering if things had gotten any better with hiring--now this thread is 160 pages. I guess that answers my question somewhat. :(

Thanks?

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:36 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Jessuf wrote:

If I didn't have to be at school in the clinic office, I'd take option two. So option one it is.

I am stunned. I got beat out for an insurance defense job (which is exactly what I did last summer) by someone who an all criminal prosecution resume. It makes zero sense.

It makes complete sense. They went with the person they connected with during the interview. They wanted a firm fit that they can mold. Anyone can learn about insurance defense. Did you tell them you wanted the job? Or did you just answer their questions? Were your answers smooth? Did you feel a connection with the interviewers? Did you explain any weaknesses in your background?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:41 pm

sparty99 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Jessuf wrote:

It makes complete sense. They went with the person they connected with during the interview. They wanted a firm fit that they can mold. Anyone can learn about insurance defense. Did you tell them you wanted the job? Or did you just answer their questions? Were your answers smooth? Did you feel a connection with the interviewers? Did you explain any weaknesses in your background?

You can't be serious.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:44 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Sorry man, its all about luck with these things. No shame in being beat out by a hot chick. Keep your head up, all you need is one bite.

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
chrisbru wrote:I am stunned. I got beat out for an insurance defense job (which is exactly what I did last summer) by someone who an all criminal prosecution resume. It makes zero sense.

sorry dude. job hunting makes no effing sense. my temp job ended today because our dude took a plea and I just got a rejection email from a different prospect. I'm fighting the urge to lay in bed and mope myself.

and by fighting the urge, I mean I had three panic attacks yesterday and keep spontaneously bursting into tears, so I'm not handling the Vale well at all. Gotta get my shizz together. This weekend = beast mode for firing out applications because I don't know what else to do.

I so far have been scheduling meetings with attorneys and applying to anything and everything I can find thats posted on the roughly 15 sites I check but am starting to think that I may just start mass mailing as well. The only possible way it can "hurt" is if it was annoying and they remembered my name, but I doubt that would happen. A friend of mine got an above market gig 6 months into unemployment by mass mailing last year, .01% chance but I got the time so I may just do it. I also am waiting to get the official certificate in the mail so I can say I am officially "barred" instead of just "passed the bar exam" and then I am gonna start trying cases pro bono. There is a public interest nonprofit here that literally has a mountain of cases going to trial that needs volunteers. Even if I mess them up completely what is the worst thing they are gonna do, fire me? :)

A decent amount of my classmates with substantially lower grades are finding jobs somehow. Not sure if I should feel encouraged or discouraged about this. I am tailoring my cover letters to the point of exhaustion at this point, I spent 45 minutes on one last night for a very specific boutique practice.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:52 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:A decent amount of my classmates with substantially lower grades are finding jobs somehow. Not sure if I should feel encouraged or discouraged about this.

omg, this. I'm trying not to be an asshole because getting of the Vale is awesome, but sometimes I'm just like...you have to be kidding me.

which makes me kind of an a-hole :lol:

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:A decent amount of my classmates with substantially lower grades are finding jobs somehow. Not sure if I should feel encouraged or discouraged about this.

omg, this. I'm trying not to be an asshole because getting of the Vale is awesome, but sometimes I'm just like...you have to be kidding me.

Really I feel happy for anyone getting a job who I feel is a good person. There are a few people from law school who I truly just don't think are good people in general and am/would be pissed of if they got a job and would likely grin if they failed the bar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Awesome story: Just passed the bar (woo), started getting drunk, and the phone rings. It's a law firm wanting to talk to me and set up an interview. He asks me about several parts on my resume, I half-decently answer, and my gf tells me to quit talking fast. I slow down too much, he finishes asking questions and wants to set the interview up for Monday. I say ok, he says his secretary will call me, thanks me, and hangs up. What a freaking ride.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Awesome story: Just passed the bar (woo), started getting drunk, and the phone rings. It's a law firm wanting to talk to me and set up an interview. He asks me about several parts on my resume, I half-decently answer, and my gf tells me to quit talking fast. I slow down too much, he finishes asking questions and wants to set the interview up for Monday. I say ok, he says his secretary will call me, thanks me, and hangs up. What a freaking ride.

Congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Awesome story: Just passed the bar (woo), started getting drunk, and the phone rings. It's a law firm wanting to talk to me and set up an interview. He asks me about several parts on my resume, I half-decently answer, and my gf tells me to quit talking fast. I slow down too much, he finishes asking questions and wants to set the interview up for Monday. I say ok, he says his secretary will call me, thanks me, and hangs up. What a freaking ride.

Eye on the prize. Get that offer, brah. Good luck!

a male human

Postby a male human » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:31 am

[ORIGINAL QUESTION] a male human wrote:Sorry if this has been answered already—I seem to recall there was some discussion about this a while back—but what are the differences between PAYE and IBR? I did some Googling but didn't find any clear differences (20- vs. 25-year payment?). Edit: Just did some snooping around on this topic and found a pretty good post (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=192753&p=7056669&hilit=paye#p7056669). Additional insight, especially on the next question, would be much appreciated, however.

Also, is there a hard deadline to applying for either? I didn't find anything on that, but with a Facebook friend writing about applying to PAYE and November quickly approaching, it got on my mind.

It seems I will qualify for PAYE at least, so I think I should apply as soon as I find out what the difference is with IBR.

A. Nony Mouse wrote:PAYE is shorter than IBR (20 v. 25 years) and caps your payments at a lower percentage of your income (or some calculation thereof) than IBR does (I think it's 10% v. 15% but can't remember), so you pay less and your debt is forgiven sooner. So PAYE is clearly better than IBR. (I'm not really sure they're even two independent options - it seems more like if you don't qualify for PAYE, you do IBR; otherwise if you have a partial financial hardship and want to pay based on your income, you'd automatically do PAYE; I feel like PAYE has superseded IBR in that way. IBR was around before PAYE, but now there's no reason to do it if you qualify for PAYE.)

Also, according to the federal student loan website, you can change your payment plan whenever you like, so there shouldn't be a deadline (however, it may take them a bit to process your paperwork, since everyone will be adding plans in November, so I would get it in early).

(Edit: didn't realize you'd linked to a post of mine until after I posted this! Sorry for the repetition. Still true, though.)

chrisbru wrote:I'm 99% sure that you either qualify for PAYE or IBR, it isn't an option thing. You do PAYE if you meet the criteria, and if not (like you took out loans before the cutoff) you do IBR.

mr. wednesday wrote:

This is exactly correct. Technically, if you qualified for PAYE you could chose to instead take the worse terms of IBR at no potential advantage to yourself, but why would you do that unless you were either stupid or ignorant of your options? Everyone who takes out their first loan in 2014 or later has their own terms which look identical to PAYE, and I don't believe they have the option to do anything but that if they want an income driven repayment plan.

Thanks for all the help! Looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Collected the posts in case someone else has similar questions.
Last edited by a male human on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:27 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Jessuf wrote:

Pretzel_Logic wrote:

Losing a job to someone who has no experience in the area or to people who have worse grades than you makes perfect sense. Everyone at your law school (so long as it is half-respectable school) is smart enough to learn the law. The law is not very complicated. Now persuasively articulating the law is another thing. Most law school students can't do this very well, myself included. Basically, law school sends the wrong message about who should get jobs..

More likely these people who got the job made the interviewers like them, applied at the perfect time, and just maybe were more articulate either in person or through their writing sample. There is a lot of luck involved-- not all interviewers like me, but some do-- but don't stress about other "less-qualified" people getting jobs, because it isn't true.

Return to “Legal Employment”