The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Pretzel_Logic

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Only posting this anon since I don't want to give away the geographical area. Apparently a nearby large county just posted an attorney opening on its site, as a public listing. The county itself has quite a large population, but the county seat is on the opposite end of the county from where most of the population is--but only 15 minutes away from where I live. Starting salary is about $55K or so. Still a long shot, but the job description doesn't outright require previous legal employment, so I'm definitely gonna apply to it.

Not trying to hijack you but I just found a similar posting in my county because you mentioned the county website. I don't know why I never thought of that, derp.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:25 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Only posting this anon since I don't want to give away the geographical area. Apparently a nearby large county just posted an attorney opening on its site, as a public listing. The county itself has quite a large population, but the county seat is on the opposite end of the county from where most of the population is--but only 15 minutes away from where I live. Starting salary is about $55K or so. Still a long shot, but the job description doesn't outright require previous legal employment, so I'm definitely gonna apply to it.

Not trying to hijack you but I just found a similar posting in my county because you mentioned the county website. I don't know why I never thought of that, derp.

:lol:
No worries, different states. Good luck!

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:25 am

O’Melveny & [deleted] LLP, with approximately 800 lawyers in 16 offices worldwide, helps industry leaders across a broad array of sectors manage the complex challenges of succeeding in the global economy.

We have an immediate opening for a Calendar Attorney. This position can be based out of any of our seven U.S. offices (Century City, Los Angeles, New York, Newport Beach, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Washington, DC). The Calendar Attorney will liaise directly with attorneys with respect to advising and providing guidance on the details concerning response deadlines based on documents filed with the courts and other legal jurisdictions.

Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, maintaining litigation case calendars; researching procedural issues; screening and reviewing all incoming court documents and office correspondence to collect information for data entry into the calendar database, Aderant/CompuLaw Vision V10; preparing electronic calendar reports for distribution to attorneys on a scheduled basis; and advising and assisting legal staff with all aspects of statutory date calculations in various legal jurisdictions.

Ideal candidate must possess professional and superior written and verbal communication skills. Previous experience working in a multi-office law firm or in-house legal corporate environment is required. Must possess excellent analytical skills, be able to work under tight deadlines, project-manage ongoing tasks, and be innovative. Experience with calendaring and electronic file retention is helpful; experience using CompuLaw is desirable. Knowledge of federal and state electronic filing procedures, court rules, docket searching and document retrieval databases (PACER, CM/ECF, CourtAlert, Courtlink, Thompson CourtExpress, Nationwide, FirstLegal, and Lexis/Nexis) is helpful. A four year college degree and JD are required.

We offer an excellent salary and benefits package. For more information, or to be considered for this position, please apply online at http://www.omm.com. Response will be given to candidates who closely meet our qualifications. EOE M/F/D/V. No phone inquiries, please.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:56 am

I had an interview yesterday for a clerkship that went (I think) super well. Everyone liked my answers, and conversation flow was really easy. I did find out that there are two openings, and they will be interviewing people over a 3 week period before deciding. One person was waiting to start their interview on my way out. I'm really hoping they aren't interviewing an insane number of people because I want my chances to be as high as possible given I probably have a lower rank than most of their usual hires.

I have another interview on Wednesday, so fingers crossed!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:26 am

GL!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:59 pm

Quarles & Brady is hiring two entry-level associates, a trademark associate in Milwaukee and a health care associate in Phoenix.

iceman219

Postby iceman219 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am very close two very different job offers, both of which I gave mixed feelings about. Long-term earning and career potential for both is complicated. I'd be thrilled with either offer but confused if I had to make a choice. But just to simplify things, can someone help me understand how meaningful public interest loan forgiveness is? For argument's sake assume I stay in both of the following jobs for 10 years with small but consistent raises each year.

Job 1: Private practice, 70k
Job 2: Public interest, 50k

Factor in a spouse in school with no income now but a mid sixties income in two to three years. Meaning the extra cash now is nice.

I have to weigh job security, earning potential, career goals etc. but just want some insight into how to weigh the loan forgiveness in the equation. If I go private practice I am not averse to paying the minimum possible each month for 25 years, investing savings, then taking the tax hit of 25 year loan forgiveness under IBR. It seems like big law is the only way to plausibly pay down the principal and have any kind of qol. 135k total debt. Thanks everyone. I may get neither of these jobs but want to have my thoughts in order.

You should probably browse the Financial Aid forum for some perspective. Besides, if you went private and aimed to make minimum payments, PAY-E, not IBR, is your best option since loan forgiveness would occur at 20 years, not 25.

Public interest, on the other hand, would have loan forgiveness in 10 years and not have a tax hit at the end. Plus public sector probably has better benefits (pension possibilities) if you are working for the gubmint

a male human

Postby a male human » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:19 am

MSPeast wrote:Those of you who are in long-term job hunt situations, are you doing non-legal stuff in the meantime to make money? I'm living at home and don't have rent payments, but I do have odd bills to pay and need spending money, so I'm thinking about going back to the temp agency I had success with before law school and looking for part-time work while I look for legal gigs.

my old roommate did a temp job, but apparently it was so mind-numbingly boring he quit after a week

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:28 am

iceman219 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am very close two very different job offers, both of which I gave mixed feelings about. Long-term earning and career potential for both is complicated. I'd be thrilled with either offer but confused if I had to make a choice. But just to simplify things, can someone help me understand how meaningful public interest loan forgiveness is? For argument's sake assume I stay in both of the following jobs for 10 years with small but consistent raises each year.

Job 1: Private practice, 70k
Job 2: Public interest, 50k

Factor in a spouse in school with no income now but a mid sixties income in two to three years. Meaning the extra cash now is nice.

I have to weigh job security, earning potential, career goals etc. but just want some insight into how to weigh the loan forgiveness in the equation. If I go private practice I am not averse to paying the minimum possible each month for 25 years, investing savings, then taking the tax hit of 25 year loan forgiveness under IBR. It seems like big law is the only way to plausibly pay down the principal and have any kind of qol. 135k total debt. Thanks everyone. I may get neither of these jobs but want to have my thoughts in order.

You should probably browse the Financial Aid forum for some perspective. Besides, if you went private and aimed to make minimum payments, PAY-E, not IBR, is your best option since loan forgiveness would occur at 20 years, not 25.

Public interest, on the other hand, would have loan forgiveness in 10 years and not have a tax hit at the end. Plus public sector probably has better benefits (pension possibilities) if you are working for the gubmint

I would never suggest anyone going on IBR long term if they don't intend to pay off their loans before the 25 year forgiveness. 25 years of compounding interest only to be hit with a tax bill is better than dying with your student loans still unpaid, but not much. And no one is picking IBR over PAYE. You are either eligible for the better PAYE terms and you take them or you aren't and you take IBR.

PSLF, on the other hand, is a legitimate option because it only takes 10 years and is not taxed. So I'd take the lower paid PSLF eligible job every time if the alternative is not enough to make loan payments on your standard 10 year plan.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:33 am

Plus does your school have LRAP? If you do PI, you could possibly walk away never making a loan payment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Anybody here (recent grads) sign up for PAYE/IBR yet??

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:11 pm

I did. Pending approval. Fuckers told me I couldn't apply until 30 days before my payment is due, and then said 1-2 billing cycles to approve PAYE.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:52 pm

kalvano wrote:I did. Pending approval. Fuckers told me I couldn't apply until 30 days before my payment is due, and then said 1-2 billing cycles to approve PAYE.

How does this work? Do they expect you to pay the full repayment amount for the first couple of months.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:07 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
kalvano wrote:I did. Pending approval. Fuckers told me I couldn't apply until 30 days before my payment is due, and then said 1-2 billing cycles to approve PAYE.

How does this work? Do they expect you to pay the full repayment amount for the first couple of months.

Not sure, I plan to call them when I get an actual statement and show them the mounds of communication from me as far back as May saying "I need to go on PAYE, when can I do so?"

I suppose I can always click the "I can't make this payment" button if I need to.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:05 am

Same thing about enrolling happened to me, and when I asked how I was supposed to pay they cheerfully told me that I could defer my loans (which wasn't what I wanted to do at all). I ended up paying the full amount because I could swing it, and I think it was only one month. But it's a huge pain in the ass and I don't know why they can't figure out a better system (I mean, they've got 6 months to figure out what you should be paying).

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:52 am

I clearly need to do something about my loans but as with virtually everything else (giving notice on my lease, for instance...) I have to wait to the last possible second in case I get a job. :|

So basically if I could get an offer like this week, that'd be greaaaaaaat. Getting down to multiple deadlines over here.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:23 pm

Ugh. So many postings on Symplicity for unpaid post-grad clerkships.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:33 pm

Jessuf wrote:Ugh. So many postings on Symplicity for unpaid post-grad clerkships.

I'd like to actually have some postings on Symplicity. It's a T6 too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:37 pm

Does anyone know when those baby-boomers are retiring? I remember in early 2000 articles about how jobs would grow in trees in the next decade.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know when those baby-boomers are retiring? I remember in early 2000 articles about how jobs would grow in trees in the next decade.

Growing on the trees in India, maybe. In other news, outsourcing law is a growing field (though typically called sourcing law).

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:56 pm

I guess I will move to India to look for doc review jobs.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:18 pm

I applied to IBR last year and it was approved pretty quickly. It depends on your servicer but Sallie Mae SOP is to get back to you within 5 days of your application, even though they dick you around on when you can apply. FedLoan Servicing takes longer but is more willing to work with you, and they do all PSLF stuff. Don't apply for PAYE if you don't qualify because they'll just reject it, not give you IBR instead.

Also you can go off of last year's taxes (which is the fastest) by going to studentloans.gov. You'll need your FAFSA pin and some info from last year's taxes. I would suggest doing this, getting on a plan, and then once you have your payments, asking for an updated calculation based on your current situation. If you need to go by paper, fax it instead of mailing and put your account # on every page so they don't lose anything.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:19 pm

chrisbru wrote:Callback yesterday went REALLY well. I don't want to get too excited about it, but it sounds like they need to hire one more person and its between me and one other person. This is the firm that I REALLY like that my buddy/roommate already accepted an offer for. It's insurance defense (which is exactly what I wanted to do), the perfect size, and has really good attorneys to learn from.

Super stoked, cross your fingers for me.

Twist: They want me to come back to meet more partners, making this three Wednesdays in a row that I drive two hours each way to meet new people at the firm. My buddy, on the other hand, did an on-campus screener and one callback.

Either way, I'm really excited about getting to go back. I think that means I have a real shot at this job. Pay isn't awesome, but it's above my "if I can make x amount for this city I'll be happy" line for the city, and the city is my top choice.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:53 pm

I assume I can't get on PAYE but really wanna try to apply because I took out my first federal loan in undergrad in 2007...SEPTEMBER 2007...why they made October the cut off I have no idea. Either way, my first loans ever were 2007 so I kinda just wanna throw it out there.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:56 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I assume I can't get on PAYE but really wanna try to apply because I took out my first federal loan in undergrad in 2007...SEPTEMBER 2007...why they made October the cut off I have no idea. Either way, my first loans ever were 2007 so I kinda just wanna throw it out there.

I can't because my first was September 2006. I went K-JD, so I kind of feel like I'm getting super screwed out of PAYE here.

Return to “Legal Employment”