The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
spleenworship

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:05 pm

chrisbru wrote:I'm tearing my hair out waiting to hear back from my callbacks. I had trouble sleeping last night for the first time in a while. feelsbadman.

I hear you bro. Good luck.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:48 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:

Encouraging to hear, bros. As someone who just passed this past week, any tips on the post-pass search? Besides updating materials, are you doing anything differently?

Outside of volunteering part time to make some new contacts, get into the courtroom and avoid that resume blank I'm not exactly sure what else you could do.

Soo... everything I am doing. :|

Still, good to know.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:46 pm

Damn it. Decided to work part time for $15/hr for a while. At least it's relevant to the field I want to get into.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:57 pm

It's just temporary bro.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I apologize if I am posting to the wrong forum.

Class of 2011 grad here from T-25 school with a computer engineering background. I was no-offered from my 1L summer firm. As expected, I struck out during 2L OCI in 2009 with the no-offer hanging over my head. 3L OCI was a joke. After graduating and passing the bar, I went to work at the PTO as a patent examiner. I've been there for almost two years, but now I am thinking about re-starting my search. Should I leave the "no-offer" 1L firm off my resume?

This is kind of odd. I would have expected you to have been able to find something even with the 1L no-offer. As it is, I'm not totally sure how firms will view your PTO experience. On the one hand, it's valuable substantive experience. On the other hand, they will wonder why you were unable to get a firm job after graduation.

I think you should be able to find something, most likely at a lower-ranked boutique. Focus on cs/ee prosecution listings (obviously). Nobody will give a shit about your 1L no-offer.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:11 pm

For patent prosecution, PTO experience is actually really desirable. It should pique someone's interest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:27 am

Anyone else surprised by how barren symplicity has been? I have not seen this level of inactivity before.

Haven't heard anything from mass mailings. I haven't seen any openings/postings. So fucked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else surprised by how barren symplicity has been? I have not seen this level of inactivity before.

Haven't heard anything from mass mailings. I haven't seen any openings/postings. So fucked.

I just checked ours. We have activity but not in our state where, you know, all of us just took the bar. Greaaaaat.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:10 am

Our activity consists of "Hey, Vermont is hiring" and "Hey, there is this awesome firm in town looking for 5+ years experience".

oasis87

Postby oasis87 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:43 am

BarbellDreams wrote:Our activity consists of "Hey, Vermont is hiring" and "Hey, there is this awesome firm in town looking for 5+ years experience".

yeah there are either a ton of legal jobs in Vergennes, VT (never heard of it before) or just one law firm spamming the whole country

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:47 am

I find local bars have have better (and by better I mean moar 0-3 yr jerbs) jerb poasts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else surprised by how barren symplicity has been? I have not seen this level of inactivity before.

It is dead dead at my t-14. Also, the TLS legal employment thread seems more dead than last year, particularly for 3Ls. Either people are doing better than expected so are not all the time here, or they have given up and accepted more willingly their fate.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:40 am

Callback yesterday went REALLY well. I don't want to get too excited about it, but it sounds like they need to hire one more person and its between me and one other person. This is the firm that I REALLY like that my buddy/roommate already accepted an offer for. It's insurance defense (which is exactly what I wanted to do), the perfect size, and has really good attorneys to learn from.

Super stoked, cross your fingers for me.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:43 am

Good luck!!!

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:48 am

chrisbru wrote:Callback yesterday went REALLY well. I don't want to get too excited about it, but it sounds like they need to hire one more person and its between me and one other person. This is the firm that I REALLY like that my buddy/roommate already accepted an offer for. It's insurance defense (which is exactly what I wanted to do), the perfect size, and has really good attorneys to learn from.

fingers duly crossed

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:49 am

Best of luck, sir. But it sounds very promising.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:06 pm

Crossed. Good luck!

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:15 pm

chrisbru wrote:Callback yesterday went REALLY well. I don't want to get too excited about it, but it sounds like they need to hire one more person and its between me and one other person. This is the firm that I REALLY like that my buddy/roommate already accepted an offer for. It's insurance defense (which is exactly what I wanted to do), the perfect size, and has really good attorneys to learn from.

Good luck man, sounds like a great opportunity.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:18 pm

Thanks all. Here's hoping my references say nice things lol.

whatsyourdeal

Postby whatsyourdeal » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:30 pm

good luck man!

been awfully silent in symplicity. hopefully, things start to pick up a little bit before the holidays.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It is dead dead at my t-14. Also, the TLS legal employment thread seems more dead than last year, particularly for 3Ls. Either people are doing better than expected so are not all the time here, or they have given up and accepted more willingly their fate.

Same here at my T-14. When one a post comes up though it's for a Vault firm wanting someone with an "existing offer from their summer employer."

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Same here at my T-14. When one a post comes up though it's for a Vault firm wanting someone with an "existing offer from their summer employer."

Really? I feel like that's really weird.

ninereal

Postby ninereal » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:15 pm

a male human wrote:For patent prosecution, PTO experience is actually really desirable. It should pique someone's interest.

An old roommate of mine had something similar, except a shitty law school instead of a T25. Went to the PTO after graduation, worked there for maybe a year and a half, then bounced to a patent firm. It's doable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:10 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Same here at my T-14. When one a post comes up though it's for a Vault firm wanting someone with an "existing offer from their summer employer."

A couple have listed that in the criteria or said something like "transactional experience at a large law firm."

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

A couple have listed that in the criteria or said something like "transactional experience at a large law firm."

That seems like much more reasonable criteria.

Return to “Legal Employment”