The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stressed2010

New

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by stressed2010 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:41 pm

So a question for the valers...currently working part time at a small firm, about ten attorneys. I started here this past summer and they asked me to stay on for the school year. About a month ago one of the partners told me a judge called about me seeking references. Unfortunately the judge never bothered to call me...whatever. Most importantly it promoted the partner to say the firm would like to hire me full time but right now they can't offer anything as they can't foresee their hiring needs this far in advance. They did tell me to keep them informed of any offers I get in the mean time. As you fellow valers know, there won't be any other offers coming my way seeing as 3L oci is nonexistent at my T2 and beyond that where do I even begin to look for an interview let alone an offer. Networking has been pretty useless and most of my emails go answered. Thanks for the advice OCS. Anyway how and when would be a good time good time for me to convey to the firm that I would take an offer in a heartbeat? Wait til beginning of next semester? I don't want to se desperate and there won't be any offers for them to compete with...sigh

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:59 pm

stressed2010 wrote:So a question for the valers...currently working part time at a small firm, about ten attorneys. I started here this past summer and they asked me to stay on for the school year. About a month ago one of the partners told me a judge called about me seeking references. Unfortunately the judge never bothered to call me...whatever. Most importantly it promoted the partner to say the firm would like to hire me full time but right now they can't offer anything as they can't foresee their hiring needs this far in advance. They did tell me to keep them informed of any offers I get in the mean time. As you fellow valers know, there won't be any other offers coming my way seeing as 3L oci is nonexistent at my T2 and beyond that where do I even begin to look for an interview let alone an offer. Networking has been pretty useless and most of my emails go answered. Thanks for the advice OCS. Anyway how and when would be a good time good time for me to convey to the firm that I would take an offer in a heartbeat? Wait til beginning of next semester? I don't want to se desperate and there won't be any offers for them to compete with...sigh
Say something to the effect of you understand nothing is set in stone but you really enjoy working for these people and hope to continue after grad. That's about all you can do. And keep applying to jobs

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:00 pm

rad lulz wrote:
stressed2010 wrote:So a question for the valers...currently working part time at a small firm, about ten attorneys. I started here this past summer and they asked me to stay on for the school year. About a month ago one of the partners told me a judge called about me seeking references. Unfortunately the judge never bothered to call me...whatever. Most importantly it promoted the partner to say the firm would like to hire me full time but right now they can't offer anything as they can't foresee their hiring needs this far in advance. They did tell me to keep them informed of any offers I get in the mean time. As you fellow valers know, there won't be any other offers coming my way seeing as 3L oci is nonexistent at my T2 and beyond that where do I even begin to look for an interview let alone an offer. Networking has been pretty useless and most of my emails go answered. Thanks for the advice OCS. Anyway how and when would be a good time good time for me to convey to the firm that I would take an offer in a heartbeat? Wait til beginning of next semester? I don't want to se desperate and there won't be any offers for them to compete with...sigh
Say something to the effect of you understand nothing is set in stone but you really enjoy working for these people and hope to continue after grad. That's about all you can do. And keep applying to jobs
But don't just awkwardly send an email to that effect. Say that if it comes up

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:26 pm

I'm in the odd position of looking for work between graduation and May 2015 (when I have a clerkship that starts). I've been looking for jobs as a first-year, but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about pursuing a summer associate position for the summer (and taking the bar in February rather than August). It's probably too late to do this now, and I can't imagine my CSO would help much with it, but I just wanted to toss the idea out there. Thanks for any thoughts you can share.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:08 pm

Have two interviews this week. Really hoping one of them will take me out of the Vale.

Trying not to get too anxious about them. Que sera sera and all that

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the odd position of looking for work between graduation and May 2015 (when I have a clerkship that starts). I've been looking for jobs as a first-year, but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about pursuing a summer associate position for the summer (and taking the bar in February rather than August). It's probably too late to do this now, and I can't imagine my CSO would help much with it, but I just wanted to toss the idea out there. Thanks for any thoughts you can share.
There are some firms that hire post-grad 3Ls as SAs. I've really only heard of this for people who would then start clerking right after the summer in the fall and the firms that I've heard of doing this tend to be very selective firms (i.e., the kind that has hires a lot of clerks). I don't know for sure but I'd suspect that this is more of a person-to-person basis so you might as well apply.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:31 pm

Just got informed I have moved on in the local DA. Pre select process and will be interviewing with the hiring "panel." Mixed emotions about this. Wondering if I can make it on the salary (have kids), move to another city, and most importantly what would be my exit options.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got informed I have moved on in the local DA. Pre select process and will be interviewing with the hiring "panel." Mixed emotions about this. Wondering if I can make it on the salary (have kids), move to another city, and most importantly what would be my exit options.
Exit ops would be firms (maybe not big firms, but midsize/plaintiffs/small/solo defense/etc.) or other govt. (state AG, maybe feds, etc.)

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the odd position of looking for work between graduation and May 2015 (when I have a clerkship that starts). I've been looking for jobs as a first-year, but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about pursuing a summer associate position for the summer (and taking the bar in February rather than August). It's probably too late to do this now, and I can't imagine my CSO would help much with it, but I just wanted to toss the idea out there. Thanks for any thoughts you can share.
A partner I lunched with did two SAs by doing one 2L year and the other before she clerked. She basically did it to make money.

As an alternative, some schools have 1-year in-house fellowship positions; maybe something like that?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:15 pm

That'll probably be my plan if firm stuff doesn't work out (though I don't quite have a year because of the bar). One challenge is that the Judge particularly wants me to work for a firm.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That'll probably be my plan if firm stuff doesn't work out (though I don't quite have a year because of the bar). One challenge is that the Judge particularly wants me to work for a firm.
I'd tell him to hook me up with a job then. I wouldn't really say this, but I'd think it really loudly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:05 am

Ok, I am usually anon and posting here quite a few times, receiving some pretty decent advice (better than CS), so thank you all for that. I also have yet another question. I have made a list of decent mid-law and boutique firms in three markets that I have ties too. I have prepared cover letters, and can mail them by next week. Should I hold off however until January-February, or send them now...(I am a 3L)

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just got informed I have moved on in the local DA. Pre select process and will be interviewing with the hiring "panel." Mixed emotions about this. Wondering if I can make it on the salary (have kids), move to another city, and most importantly what would be my exit options.
I pray for your sake that its not the Philadelphia DAs office.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stressed2010

New

Post by stressed2010 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:07 am

rad lulz wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Yeah, that seems about right thanks! In the meantime shoot off a few more emails to alums from my school? Been a total waste of time as no one ever responds. Friends have had some luck so I'm assuming it must work at least some of the time....

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:19 am

BarbellDreams wrote:
Why? What's up with the Philly DA?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:39 am

Void wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
Why? What's up with the Philly DA?
The cliffnotes version is: Lowest per capita budget of any DA office in country except for Detroit, recent request for additional budget denied by mayor's office, last year's class was cut from 35 to 20 and may be cut again this year because of budget, Philly typically takes all of their previous year's interns as part of the new class (barring weirdos and such) and fills the rest of HYS and a few spots to top local kids.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:53 am

stressed2010 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Yeah, that seems about right thanks! In the meantime shoot off a few more emails to alums from my school? Been a total waste of time as no one ever responds. Friends have had some luck so I'm assuming it must work at least some of the time....
Don't just mail alumni. Mail all the firms in the market you want to be in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:18 pm

I didn't even get out of bed today. I'm in bad shape. This process has really worn me down in a way I've never experienced before.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I didn't even get out of bed today. I'm in bad shape. This process has really worn me down in a way I've never experienced before.
I used to quite often feel like that. Force yourself to do some exercise, and then maybe get into an exercise routine. It really helped me deal with the stress. Hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I didn't even get out of bed today. I'm in bad shape. This process has really worn me down in a way I've never experienced before.
This does not last forever.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:17 pm

It's really important when you're job hunting to establish a good routine and stick to it, especially if you can do a fitness routine. Use the time for something positive, and I guarantee you'll feel better.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:56 pm

So I had a 3L OCI interview in August. Heard nothing for a month, sent a follow up in mid-September. Heard nothing for another 3 weeks, sent another follow up email a couple days ago. Still haven't gotten a reply.

So, what the fuck does this mean? I did read someone here has been dinged in the past week or so after sending in an app...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:03 pm

Had an interview today for a job I really want and I felt off my game the whole time. I know I said the right things but I've been upset with myself all day. I hope I'm just overthinking it because of how much I want it. My typical policy is to a) get home b) write the thank you and then c) not speculate about how it went, and I am epic failing at step C.

I have another one with a different office next week, but sigh. No idea when I'll hear about one today, either. :(

And I'm sorry for complaining about interviews, I recognize that it is 100% ridiculous. I'm just getting a little desperate to get out of the Vale.

whatsyourdeal

New

Post by whatsyourdeal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had an interview today for a job I really want and I felt off my game the whole time. I know I said the right things but I've been upset with myself all day. I hope I'm just overthinking it because of how much I want it. My typical policy is to a) get home b) write the thank you and then c) not speculate about how it went, and I am epic failing at step C.

I have another one with a different office next week, but sigh. No idea when I'll hear about one today, either. :(

And I'm sorry for complaining about interviews, I recognize that it is 100% ridiculous. I'm just getting a little desperate to get out of the Vale.
no need to apologize: even interviewing is frustrating. i just had 9 interviews in september, and it was super exhausting, frustrating, and draining. More than half of them were nowheresville (crap firm, douche partner, two "in-house" positions that had little exit options, and a recruiting agency). still waiting to hear back from 2 spots. just because you're interviewing doesn't mean you can't complain.

hang in there buddy.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had an interview today for a job I really want and I felt off my game the whole time. I know I said the right things but I've been upset with myself all day. I hope I'm just overthinking it because of how much I want it. My typical policy is to a) get home b) write the thank you and then c) not speculate about how it went, and I am epic failing at step C.

My interview that ultimately landed me a job was (to me) a disaster. I'd had 2 hours of sleep, and I'm pretty sure my eyes were bloodshot like I was stoned out of my gourd. The partner kept looking at his watch, I barely said anything, and when I did speak, I managed to say that I left my old career because I didn't like the long hours (this is a Biglaw firm). The entire thing lasted 18 minutes, and I walked out 100% sure I had blown my chance at my dream firm. Walking out, I saw a classmate of mine for the same job who had significantly better grades than me and I'm pretty sure took more relevant coursework.

The only way it could have been worse is outright insulting one of the interviewers.

So however bad you think you did, I guarantee it wasn't as bad as you think. Remember, you only have your interview to compare it to. The interviewers have been sitting there all day talking to people, and I can say with certainty that other people came off way worse than you.

Send your thank-you emails and maybe drop in a line that might correct some part of your perceived error. For instance, I said something about how hard I would work if given the chance. But don't sweat it. Unless they had security escort you out, you're still in the running.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”