The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
whatsyourdeal

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby whatsyourdeal » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:22 pm

rad lulz wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:I honestly think I will be bitter about the budget cut that led to my offer being rescinded till the end of days. Dream job that I beat out over 800 applicants for. I literally had to hold back tears of joy when I got a call at work to tell me I made the final cut. Then it kinda went downhill pretty quick within 2 weeks. Unlike many, I legitimately wanted PI, got PI, then lost PI. Now I'm Vale-ing it. I'm now at 1 no-offer, 1 offer rescinded due to budget, one offer rescinded due to satellite office not opening. Seriously, all I need is to get a job and then get fired because the boss didn't like my tie to really complete my story.

Out of a lot of stories which all pain me, yours really gets to me bro. I really hope something turns around for you soon.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:34 pm

rad lulz wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:I honestly think I will be bitter about the budget cut that led to my offer being rescinded till the end of days. Dream job that I beat out over 800 applicants for. I literally had to hold back tears of joy when I got a call at work to tell me I made the final cut. Then it kinda went downhill pretty quick within 2 weeks. Unlike many, I legitimately wanted PI, got PI, then lost PI. Now I'm Vale-ing it. I'm now at 1 no-offer, 1 offer rescinded due to budget, one offer rescinded due to satellite office not opening. Seriously, all I need is to get a job and then get fired because the boss didn't like my tie to really complete my story.

Out of a lot of stories which all pain me, yours really gets to me bro. I really hope something turns around for you soon.

Thanks man. Its all about keeping up morale I think. Some days its kinda tough but most days I'm still feeling good and pushing along. I kinda had the perfect storm between those three happenings I guess. Still kinda stings that I didn't bother applying to other firms when my friends were scrambling cause the firm I got no offered from said "Don't worry, we hire everyone who SAs with us, any idea which floor you'd like an office on?".

It is what it is, but I'm keeping up hope and trying to encourage everyone in this thread to do the same. Of the 50% or whatever that end up unemployed how many do you think will have worse grades than you, will interview worse, will have less experience, will not pass the bar, did not graduate from a good school, will not do anything but sit around hoping KL Gates comes knocking at their door, will not accept anything but a biglaw job, will not take a reasonable salary, will not commit to working long hours, or in general will not seem like a good fit? The answer is many. If you're a slob that went to Cooley and graduated with a 2.0 and bad social skills I feel for you, you may very well not end up working as an attorney, ever. For the rest of us, all I need is one. One. Granted, truth be told I am at about 85 post-bar applications for posted positions with a grand total of one interview out of it, but again, I just need one. When I hit 1000+ apps I may be posting with a different attitude. For now I am pushing forward and after bar results in two weeks I plan on redoubling my efforts. I may even do the dreaded mass mail. An unemployed friend who graduated last year with nothing massmailed every firm in the city and ended up with an 80K gig at a well known mid sized firm after 6 months of looking all because on the day his email came the partners were talking about finding someone because of need. It can happen.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Keep you heads up, all you need is one.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:54 pm

"All you need is one." should be our motto.

In other news I got turned down for 3 interviews out of 3 at EJW today. Feeling stellar.

Drinking tequila.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:55 pm

Barbell, I really feel for you man. If you don't have bar results yet, once you find out you passed (because you did, I'm sure) that by itself will probably help open the door to more interviews. I all of sudden am competitive at a lot of places now because I'm licensed. Keep your chin up, you're going to find something. I'm confident of that.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:03 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Barbell, I really feel for you man. If you don't have bar results yet, once you find out you passed (because you did, I'm sure) that by itself will probably help open the door to more interviews. I all of sudden am competitive at a lot of places now because I'm licensed. Keep your chin up, you're going to find something. I'm confident of that.

Haha, thats what everyone keeps telling me. Its not like there will magically be more postings, but I am hoping that out of those that I do find I would get a few more bites. Oh, and while I am fairly sure I passed the bar I honestly don't have a plan for not passing. If for whatever reason it happens I'm just gonna beg Home Depot for a $12/hr job I guess. :)

Side note: My fiancee and I (both unemployed law grad, sigh) applied to the same position and she got the interview. At the interview the partner said he thought he was getting spammed cause on our resumes we went to the same school, have a similarly formatted resume and have the same address. When he realized we were likely dating/engaged/married he said he thought it would be awkward to interview both of us for whatever reason so he put the resumes face down and just picked one at random. I'm glad she got the interview, but it just goes to show you how random these job things can get. She got a kick out of telling me this story btw. :)

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Lol. That both sucks and rocks. I hope your fiancée gets the job!

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:11 pm

Ha! Well best wishes to both of you, I'm sure both being in that spot together is rough.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:15 pm

That's funny in an awful way.

I know how much this sucks for you (and for everyone). I checked my email and Symplicity and I sent out a little over 600 applications over the past 4 months and I got exactly 4 interviews out of it. But like you said, all you need is one. Keep the faith, brother, and it will come through for you soon.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:21 pm

kalvano wrote:Out of the Vale. Got the call today. Staff attorney for a large firm here, with the possibility of full associate in a year or so. Even if that doesn't work out, the experience (and money) will be great.

Fuck yeah. So happy for you. All that hard work paid off. Congrats.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:33 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Thanks man. Its all about keeping up morale I think. Some days its kinda tough but most days I'm still feeling good and pushing along. I kinda had the perfect storm between those three happenings I guess. Still kinda stings that I didn't bother applying to other firms when my friends were scrambling cause the firm I got no offered from said "Don't worry, we hire everyone who SAs with us, any idea which floor you'd like an office on?".

It is what it is, but I'm keeping up hope and trying to encourage everyone in this thread to do the same. Of the 50% or whatever that end up unemployed how many do you think will have worse grades than you, will interview worse, will have less experience, will not pass the bar, did not graduate from a good school, will not do anything but sit around hoping KL Gates comes knocking at their door, will not accept anything but a biglaw job, will not take a reasonable salary, will not commit to working long hours, or in general will not seem like a good fit? The answer is many. If you're a slob that went to Cooley and graduated with a 2.0 and bad social skills I feel for you, you may very well not end up working as an attorney, ever. For the rest of us, all I need is one. One. Granted, truth be told I am at about 85 post-bar applications for posted positions with a grand total of one interview out of it, but again, I just need one. When I hit 1000+ apps I may be posting with a different attitude. For now I am pushing forward and after bar results in two weeks I plan on redoubling my efforts. I may even do the dreaded mass mail. An unemployed friend who graduated last year with nothing massmailed every firm in the city and ended up with an 80K gig at a well known mid sized firm after 6 months of looking all because on the day his email came the partners were talking about finding someone because of need. It can happen.

I think there should be a sticky in the employment forum that says: Warning. Do not rely on an offer until you have it. Don't trust your firm until the offer is in your hand.

And maybe also a sticky about the random nature of hiring. Few people really want to know or believe that hiring is random and not due to their awesome ability as lawyers. That part is fine, I guess, but the reverse, where people beat themselves up endlessly for getting no offered, is just wrong.

Anyway, good luck barbell dreams. You have had a string of bad circumstances caused by economic factors completely outside your control. Government and PI hiring now reminds me of the crash and biglaw firms. There just aren't jobs. Hang in there. You will find something. If you are competitive enough to beat out 800 other applicants then you will definitely get a job.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:47 pm

I applied for a fall week OCI interview that did not list any specific requirements. I just noticed that there is also a regular symplicity listing that requires an UG degree in accounting, finance or econ, which I do not have. It's preselect, so they knew what they were getting themselves into with me.

Time to LOVE tax tomorrow with the improper background!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:19 pm

JenDarby wrote:I applied for a fall week OCI interview that did not list any specific requirements. I just noticed that there is also a regular symplicity listing that requires an UG degree in accounting, finance or econ, which I do not have. It's preselect, so they knew what they were getting themselves into with me.

Time to LOVE tax tomorrow with the improper background!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:41 pm

spleenworship wrote:"All you need is one." should be our motto.

In other news I got turned down for 3 interviews out of 3 at EJW today. Feeling stellar.

Drinking tequila.

So true. Knew a friend who applied for literally over 400 jobs at least, and she got one interview and one job finally. I believe her too. She was hustling all of 3L year, but I'm really happy for her just like I'm happy when you bros get a job.

As for Barbell: man, that sucks a big one. If I remember correctly, you posted on this thread about that job you got and we were all really happy for you.

The budget cuts at all levels of government legit suck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:43 pm

Found perfect job for me, in the market I want, with people I seem to fit in well with. They like me. I like them. But now they say that they may not be able to bring anyone new in, for whatever reason. Biggest letdown, even worse than getting no-offered at the end of summer. :cry:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:00 pm

rad lulz wrote:Sasmf?

Skadden

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Found perfect job for me, in the market I want, with people I seem to fit in well with. They like me. I like them. But now they say that they may not be able to bring anyone new in, for whatever reason. Biggest letdown, even worse than getting no-offered at the end of summer. :cry:

Ugh. That blows

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:57 pm

Congrats kalv & others leaving the Vale.

I feel for Barbell and everyone else - right there with you. I'm really rooting for you and your fiance. I truly do think it will work out employment wise. Wish I had more to say, but tough for me to even post here. Feeling nervous even about results at this point.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:27 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Thanks man. Its all about keeping up morale I think.

Brother, I think it means a shitload that you had the offers you had. Thousands upon thousands of new LS grads can't even get one offer; thousands can't even get an interview.

I can't imagine how shitty it must have felt but, really, I would try to focus on the fact that you've clearly got stuff going for you, as evidenced by previous offers.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:14 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:14 am

deadpanic wrote:Congrats kalv & others leaving the Vale.

I feel for Barbell and everyone else - right there with you. I'm really rooting for you and your fiance. I truly do think it will work out employment wise. Wish I had more to say, but tough for me to even post here. Feeling nervous even about results at this point.

Keep the faith bro

Lemme know if you need anything

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Found perfect job for me, in the market I want, with people I seem to fit in well with. They like me. I like them. But now they say that they may not be able to bring anyone new in, for whatever reason. Biggest letdown, even worse than getting no-offered at the end of summer. :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdHTnpgpLDc

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:03 am

Be sure to keep in touch. Similar thing happened to me. Needs change, and when they do, you want to be first in their mind

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:48 am

This week is like a tsunami of dings. I hope my clerkship interview works out, but having all of the stress and pressure placed on this one outstanding interview makes me worry that I'll choke.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:35 am

Jessuf wrote:This week is like a tsunami of dings. I hope my clerkship interview works out, but having all of the stress and pressure placed on this one outstanding interview makes me worry that I'll choke.

Don't even think about it. This isn't the last interview ever.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:44 am

Should there be job postings that come up listed in this thread? Or maybe start a new one just for graduate job postings?

The Denton County (just north of Dallas) DA's office is looking for a new entry-level prosecutor. Must be licensed in Texas. Starting pay is $55K.

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/denton ... xPacket%3E

Kristin Kidd
Chief of the Misdemeanor Trial Division
Denton County D.A.'s Office
1450 E. McKinney Street, Suite 3100
Denton, Texas 76209
kristin.kidd@dentoncounty.com
United States

Return to “Legal Employment”