The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:06 am

chrisbru wrote:PR Professor today basically incited a SA/Offer circle jerk today by talking about billable hours and such. About 20 minutes of students talking about how big their firm is and how much they have to bill next year (including one guy answering the question with "how big of a firm was it" with "oh, very large sir.")

Had the exact opposite thing today in PR. All the people with firm offers talking about how they want to work in public interest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:12 am

I am so grateful my parents were able to support me while I studied for the bar and waited for results. Now I can't depend on that and the feds just ensured I won't get a paycheck from my temp job until next year.

And... now I'm not the only unemployed attorney in my family. :( This may have just outed me but oh well, I'm struggling hard you guys. I know the other unemployed one has baller experience and will be fine, eventually, but it breaks my heart to see my family hurting like they are and I don't feel like I can talk to them about how terrified I am about my own job situation.

PHEW just needed to get that out. Deepest sympathies to all other Valers struggling.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am so grateful my parents were able to support me while I studied for the bar and waited for results. Now I can't depend on that and the feds just ensured I won't get a paycheck from my temp job until next year.

And... now I'm not the only unemployed attorney in my family. :( This may have just outed me but oh well, I'm struggling hard you guys. I know the other unemployed one has baller experience and will be fine, eventually, but it breaks my heart to see my family hurting like they are and I don't feel like I can talk to them about how terrified I am about my own job situation.

PHEW just needed to get that out. Deepest sympathies to all other Valers struggling.

My sympathis brother

Nothing to do but try to keep the faith

Sending good thoughts your wat

Crash32

Postby Crash32 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:11 am

I don't know how to handle this - I applied for an OCI job, had a terrible interview, and have systematically shot myself in the foot at every turn w/ this job. I can't really go into much detail, but I swear, these people must think I am an idiot. There has not been a single communication I have sent them that hasn't had some type of error in it, including two fairly large ones in my cover letter. But, today I got a CB for a 7 hour interview that includes aptitude testing and a 2 hour lunch with one of the named partners. I need someone to tell me that I still have a shot at this job b/c I am basically thinking that they are just humoring me by bringing me down for the interview . . .

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:46 am

Crash32 wrote:I don't know how to handle this - I applied for an OCI job, had a terrible interview, and have systematically shot myself in the foot at every turn w/ this job. I can't really go into much detail, but I swear, these people must think I am an idiot. There has not been a single communication I have sent them that hasn't had some type of error in it, including two fairly large ones in my cover letter. But, today I got a CB for a 7 hour interview that includes aptitude testing and a 2 hour lunch with one of the named partners. I need someone to tell me that I still have a shot at this job b/c I am basically thinking that they are just humoring me by bringing me down for the interview . . .

Holy shit.

Let me tell you, if they weren't serious, they wouldn't waste their time on some insane CB like that.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Crash32 wrote:I don't know how to handle this - I applied for an OCI job, had a terrible interview, and have systematically shot myself in the foot at every turn w/ this job. I can't really go into much detail, but I swear, these people must think I am an idiot. There has not been a single communication I have sent them that hasn't had some type of error in it, including two fairly large ones in my cover letter. But, today I got a CB for a 7 hour interview that includes aptitude testing and a 2 hour lunch with one of the named partners. I need someone to tell me that I still have a shot at this job b/c I am basically thinking that they are just humoring me by bringing me down for the interview . . .

Holy shit.

Let me tell you, if they weren't serious, they wouldn't waste their time on some insane CB like that.

This sounds very similar to a movie I saw once, but I can't think of the title. They weren't serious.

Honestly though, make sure to plan out your eating and drinking properly. That amount of time would kill me hunger wise if I didn't go in prepared. I'd hope they'd give you water and such. Do you know the exact schedule? Is lunch at the end? Maybe it's just me, but I'm always starving by the end of even a one hour interview. Moreso than most interviews, actually make sure you are very well rested. Otherwise I don't know what's to say than prepare like you normally would and good luck!
Last edited by JenDarby on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:41 am

No way they are just humoring you. Your impression of how an interview went is often different because you pick apart and remember every dumb thing you said. The interviewers probably didn't notice half of what you've obsessed over because they heard even dumber stuff all day during the interviews.

This is a great sign, and you're going to nail it.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:35 am

sparty99 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:PR Professor today basically incited a SA/Offer circle jerk today by talking about billable hours and such. About 20 minutes of students talking about how big their firm is and how much they have to bill next year (including one guy answering the question with "how big of a firm was it" with "oh, very large sir.")

But why would this bother you? Who cares. Yes, let's talk about billable hours. Have fun with that 2,500 hour minimum.

I didn't say it bothered me, dude, I was merely sharing a story that I thought was funny. Chill out man, your presence in this thread is generally obnoxious and unwelcome.

Anonymous User wrote:
Had the exact opposite thing today in PR. All the people with firm offers talking about how they want to work in public interest.

That's really weird... or maybe its not? Maybe working at a big firm makes you hate firm life.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:37 am

kalvano wrote:

No way they are just humoring you. Your impression of how an interview went is often different because you pick apart and remember every dumb thing you said. The interviewers probably didn't notice half of what you've obsessed over because they heard even dumber stuff all day during the interviews.

This is a great sign, and you're going to nail it.

I'm with Kalvano on this. But holy shit, what an epic callback... That seems unnecessary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:15 pm

chrisbru wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

But why would this bother you? Who cares. Yes, let's talk about billable hours. Have fun with that 2,500 hour minimum.

I didn't say it bothered me, dude, I was merely sharing a story that I thought was funny. Chill out man, your presence in this thread is generally obnoxious and unwelcome.

Anonymous User wrote:

That's really weird... or maybe its not? Maybe working at a big firm makes you hate firm life.

It's been like a 50/50 split. Some people really drank the Kool Aid (i.e. hashtagging instagram pics with #SASMF) and others clearly hated it. It's just weird that all these people who have accepted offers (2L & 3L) talk about how they came to law school to help the poor when they really just want the $. The PR prof btw is a career-long big firm attorney.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:17 pm

Sasmf?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:22 pm

rad lulz wrote:Sasmf?

Summer associate saved my finances?

whatsyourdeal

Postby whatsyourdeal » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:53 pm

Had the most stressful day. Arrived late to a court appearance today for my job at 9, got on second call. Then had a phone interview with a boutique firm at 10 that I would really, really, really love to get primarily due to the practice area and clientele. Then had an in person interview at 11 with a sole practitioner who had a real crappy setup. He wasted an hour telling me how crappy the practice was, how crappy of an attorney he was (i.e. trying to address his own shortcomings), and after an hour, finally dropping the bomb that he could not afford my salary request (60k... b/c i currently make around 50k as a clerk/attny for another solo). on top of all this, i'm expecting to hear back from 2 other places i interviewed at last week.

life in the vale= roller coaster

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:59 pm

JenDarby wrote:

this is a thing now? ugh.

law students are the WORST.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
It's been like a 50/50 split. Some people really drank the Kool Aid (i.e. hashtagging instagram pics with #SASMF) and others clearly hated it. It's just weird that all these people who have accepted offers (2L & 3L) talk about how they came to law school to help the poor when they really just want the $. The PR prof btw is a career-long big firm attorney.

Its the golden handcuffs and it happens more often than you think. They did a socialogy study at Duke Law a few years back when they asked an incoming 1L class how many of them wanted to do PI. About 80% raised their hands. They polled the same students after 2L OCI, only 10% raised their hands. When you can literally quadruple your salary who the hell outside of those with rich parents or no financial issues would not want to do biglaw? I can't tell you how many people I went to law school with sang the "I want to help those in need" song for 3 years only to update their Linkedin job to associate at random firm after graduation. Something tells me they ain't going back to PI anytime soon.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:06 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

I was 100% making that up, I have no idea.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:18 pm

I still want to do PI but even I have to admit it's hard not to look back and regret that I didn't try to summer with a firm so I'd have financial security. I think I might have been unhappy with the work I was doing (then), but honestly I think I could do it now. Golden handcuffs are very real and very tough to avoid when you're staring down $100K+ in debt.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:20 pm

JenDarby wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

I was 100% making that up, I have no idea.

or maybe SASMF=Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:21 pm

whatsyourdeal wrote:and after an hour, finally dropping the bomb that he could not afford my salary request

Of course he's crappy if he's wasting his time and yours just to chat. I hate that.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:52 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:I still want to do PI but even I have to admit it's hard not to look back and regret that I didn't try to summer with a firm so I'd have financial security. I think I might have been unhappy with the work I was doing (then), but honestly I think I could do it now. Golden handcuffs are very real and very tough to avoid when you're staring down $100K+ in debt.

Yeah, me too... sometimes. The debt is scary.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:13 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:I still want to do PI but even I have to admit it's hard not to look back and regret that I didn't try to summer with a firm so I'd have financial security. I think I might have been unhappy with the work I was doing (then), but honestly I think I could do it now. Golden handcuffs are very real and very tough to avoid when you're staring down $100K+ in debt.

Yeah, me too... sometimes. The debt is scary.

Agreed. I've always wanted to be a part of a firm, but now that I'm looking at firm hours without firm salary, I'm a more than a little nervous about the coming years.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:25 pm

I honestly think I will be bitter about the budget cut that led to my offer being rescinded till the end of days. Dream job that I beat out over 800 applicants for. I literally had to hold back tears of joy when I got a call at work to tell me I made the final cut. Then it kinda went downhill pretty quick within 2 weeks. Unlike many, I legitimately wanted PI, got PI, then lost PI. Now I'm Vale-ing it. I'm now at 1 no-offer, 1 offer rescinded due to budget, one offer rescinded due to satellite office not opening. Seriously, all I need is to get a job and then get fired because the boss didn't like my tie to really complete my story.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:52 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I honestly think I will be bitter about the budget cut that led to my offer being rescinded till the end of days. Dream job that I beat out over 800 applicants for. I literally had to hold back tears of joy when I got a call at work to tell me I made the final cut. Then it kinda went downhill pretty quick within 2 weeks. Unlike many, I legitimately wanted PI, got PI, then lost PI. Now I'm Vale-ing it. I'm now at 1 no-offer, 1 offer rescinded due to budget, one offer rescinded due to satellite office not opening. Seriously, all I need is to get a job and then get fired because the boss didn't like my tie to really complete my story.

Fuck. That sucks bro. I'm sorry.

Druid

Postby Druid » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:57 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I honestly think I will be bitter about the budget cut that led to my offer being rescinded till the end of days. Dream job that I beat out over 800 applicants for. I literally had to hold back tears of joy when I got a call at work to tell me I made the final cut. Then it kinda went downhill pretty quick within 2 weeks. Unlike many, I legitimately wanted PI, got PI, then lost PI. Now I'm Vale-ing it. I'm now at 1 no-offer, 1 offer rescinded due to budget, one offer rescinded due to satellite office not opening. Seriously, all I need is to get a job and then get fired because the boss didn't like my tie to really complete my story.

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I hope you find something soon man.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:13 pm

Out of a lot of stories which all pain me, yours really gets to me bro. I really hope something turns around for you soon.

Return to “Legal Employment”