The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
happy187

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby happy187 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:42 pm

3L in Houston in the Vale as well. Hopefully, taking the bar in Feb prior to graduation in May will help my situation. Seems like a different animal searching as a PT student that has a FT job that I can't leave (I am the only paycheck for the family).

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:46 pm

How can you take the bar prior to graduation? I didn't think Texas allowed that. If you can, it will help immensely. Ready to go and licensed is always better.

happy187

Postby happy187 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:53 pm

kalvano wrote:How can you take the bar prior to graduation? I didn't think Texas allowed that. If you can, it will help immensely. Ready to go and licensed is always better.

you can sit for the Texas bar as long as you have 4 or less hours remaining.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:55 pm

Oh, that's cool. Didn't know that. Regardless, yes, it will help. A number of jobs that opened up over the summer at SMU specifically required a licensed attorney, even though they wanted entry-level.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:13 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Turned 26 today. Feel old as hell.

Yet I'm jerbless and dependent on my parents in almost every conceivable way.

:|

Happy birthday. Have a beer.

Yeah, screw it. At least you aren't like my classmate in their 40s who is almost certainly unemployable as a lawyer.

Thanks, bros. It's a shame how the Vale takes over your life to the point that normally happy occasions seem miserable.
Being at a comparatively young-ish school surrounded by kiddos born in the 1990s does make me feel old as shit, though. :lol:

Anyone feel like the Vale has affected your social life? I'm more hermit-like than ever--don't wanna talk to anyone, because, 1.) you feel depressed and 2.) "that question" always comes up? Seriously, law school should have support groups for the jerbless 3Ls.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:23 pm

I am literally shocked at how easy people throw out the "Where are you working?" question now adays. I'm working at Funemployment Inc.. My job is I sit at home, apply to hundreds of jobs I never hear back from, watch a lot of netflix and burn through my savings. Thats where I'm working, how about you?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:27 pm

Most people still view law school as a great vehicle to an upper-middle class lifestyle. They just automatically assume that graduating from law school equals a job. I would just tell people I was waiting on bar results, or something vague like that.

It's totally shitty, but it's unintentional. They don't know any better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:32 pm

kalvano wrote:Most people still view law school as a great vehicle to an upper-middle class lifestyle. They just automatically assume that graduating from law school equals a job. I would just tell people I was waiting on bar results, or something vague like that.

It's totally shitty, but it's unintentional. They don't know any better.

i don't mind if it's clueless boomer relatives asking me.

i would mind if it's law school classmates who know fully how awful the legal job market is.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:35 pm

Oh. Absolutely. That is pretty terrible.

Broseidon

Postby Broseidon » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone feel like the Vale has affected your social life? I'm more hermit-like than ever--don't wanna talk to anyone, because, 1.) you feel depressed and 2.) "that question" always comes up? Seriously, law school should have support groups for the jerbless 3Ls.

I definitely don't go to bar review or happy hours or any of that shit. Well, I never really did because most law students are awful, but I completely avoid it now. I'm actually going out this semester more than ever, but only with close friends (some have jobs, some don't, and the subject never comes up). It's understandable to feel shitty about not having a job, but unless you literally can't afford to do anything, having no social life will only make it worse.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anyone feel like the Vale has affected your social life? I'm more hermit-like than ever--don't wanna talk to anyone, because, 1.) you feel depressed and 2.) "that question" always comes up? Seriously, law school should have support groups for the jerbless 3Ls.

No, and I'm 26 and live at home too, so I guess we are kind of in the same position (or whoever else that anon poster was). I spend a lot of time applying to jobs, but I don't let being jobless bring me down or affect my social life. I'm lame because I'm a lame person, not because I'm unemployed. I had good friends that really let being unemployed affect them emotionally, and you just have to get over it and keep working. I know it's hard not to feel like a failure, but after not getting a gig I was surprised by what other things would make me happy professionally and how my idea of success changed. It sucks when your friends have jobs and talk about them in front of you, but there's nothing to do but keep trucking along and try not to take it personally or anything.

The only way I feel different is the amount of pressure I put on myself. I've never been someone to be super anxious or worried about school/work, I don't really care that much. I was lucky enough to somehow land an interview for my dream job, something that I have been specifically working towards ever since I struck out and planned my entire 2L and summer around, and now I am really freaking out that I am going to blow it and lose the opportunity. I could already feel myself being like "SF, DO NOT FUCK THIS UP, THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE, YOU WILL HATE YOURSELF IF YOU BLOW THIS." But I had a couple glasses of red wine, took a bubble bath, and immediately started to feel better. Instead of staying in my head and letting it get to me, I just made a list of things I want to do to prepare: set up a mock interview, etc. I find that making lists of productive things you can do to move forward really helps, at least for me (and then actually doing them at some point). Any time I start to feel down/pressure, etc, I try to do one thing on the list or fill out one application, that way I know that if I end up jobless I did everything I could to prevent it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:51 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No, and I'm 26 and live at home too, so I guess we are kind of in the same position (or whoever else that anon poster was). I spend a lot of time applying to jobs, but I don't let being jobless bring me down or affect my social life. I'm lame because I'm a lame person, not because I'm unemployed. I had good friends that really let being unemployed affect them emotionally, and you just have to get over it and keep working. I know it's hard not to feel like a failure, but after not getting a gig I was surprised by what other things would make me happy professionally and how my idea of success changed. It sucks when your friends have jobs and talk about them in front of you, but there's nothing to do but keep trucking along and try not to take it personally or anything.

The only way I feel different is the amount of pressure I put on myself. I've never been someone to be super anxious or worried about school/work, I don't really care that much. I was lucky enough to somehow land an interview for my dream job, something that I have been specifically working towards ever since I struck out and planned my entire 2L and summer around, and now I am really freaking out that I am going to blow it and lose the opportunity. I could already feel myself being like "SF, DO NOT FUCK THIS UP, THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE, YOU WILL HATE YOURSELF IF YOU BLOW THIS." But I had a couple glasses of red wine, took a bubble bath, and immediately started to feel better. Instead of staying in my head and letting it get to me, I just made a list of things I want to do to prepare: set up a mock interview, etc. I find that making lists of productive things you can do to move forward really helps, at least for me (and then actually doing them at some point). Any time I start to feel down/pressure, etc, I try to do one thing on the list or fill out one application, that way I know that if I end up jobless I did everything I could to prevent it.

Thanks sf, this is really solid advice. I got an interview for my DREAM job at EJW this morning (perfect 26th birthday gift!). I plan to do a little bit each day to prep for the interview.

I do realize that I'm in a very fortunate position, all things considered. I really feel for Valers who are from a low-income background and/or have unsupportive or absent parents. Thinking about my family support system helps me keep perspective.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks sf, this is really solid advice. I got an interview for my DREAM job at EJW this morning (perfect 26th birthday gift!). I plan to do a little bit each day to prep for the interview.

I do realize that I'm in a very fortunate position, all things considered. I really feel for Valers who are from a low-income background and/or have unsupportive or absent parents. Thinking about my family support system helps me keep perspective.

Congrats and happy birthday :D I also feel really lucky in for my family and friends who always tell me that it will work out (even when it's annoying and I want to be in a bad mood). It really helps to have those people around you cheering you on.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Is that a interview for a PDs office? And if so, which one? I just ask because I'm dying here waiting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:14 pm

no--civil legal aid.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:no--civil legal aid.

Cool. Congrats!! GL!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:28 pm

PR Professor today basically incited a SA/Offer circle jerk today by talking about billable hours and such. About 20 minutes of students talking about how big their firm is and how much they have to bill next year (including one guy answering the question with "how big of a firm was it" with "oh, very large sir.")

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:32 pm

what a douche of a prof

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:35 pm

chrisbru wrote:PR Professor today basically incited a SA/Offer circle jerk today by talking about billable hours and such. About 20 minutes of students talking about how big their firm is and how much they have to bill next year (including one guy answering the question with "how big of a firm was it" with "oh, very large sir.")

Law students are the WORST

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:36 pm

rad lulz wrote:
chrisbru wrote:PR Professor today basically incited a SA/Offer circle jerk today by talking about billable hours and such. About 20 minutes of students talking about how big their firm is and how much they have to bill next year (including one guy answering the question with "how big of a firm was it" with "oh, very large sir.")

Yup.

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:39 pm

rad lulz wrote:

they're the worst kind of people i know, generally

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:35 pm

As shitty as this is, I woulda loved to hear this student say that. Then fucking laugh at him in the most insulting way possible. I am sure he likes em BIG!

target

Postby target » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:15 pm

spleenworship wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Yup.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:05 pm

But why would this bother you? Who cares. Yes, let's talk about billable hours. Have fun with that 2,500 hour minimum.

Grond

Postby Grond » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:59 pm

kalvano wrote:How can you take the bar prior to graduation? I didn't think Texas allowed that. If you can, it will help immensely. Ready to go and licensed is always better.

I took the feb bar as a 3L and got sworn in at graduation. Not sure if they've changed the rules since then.

Return to “Legal Employment”