The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chrisbru

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:23 am

Our school's CSO has a clerkship listserv that alerts students of all open clerkship positions that they hear about. Today, they alerted us of Supreme Court clerkships in a neighboring state. These applications are due TOMORROW by MAIL. And as a kicker, they want three letters of recommendation, rather than the typical two. So basically, I can't apply.

I know, I know... I should be doing my own looking for jobs to apply to. But fuck me for relying on a listserv designed TYPICALLY FOR THIS PURPOSE and maintained by a full-time employee who's ONLY job is to get students clerkships.

Ugh.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:41 am

chrisbru wrote:Our school's CSO has a clerkship listserv that alerts students of all open clerkship positions that they hear about. Today, they alerted us of Supreme Court clerkships in a neighboring state. These applications are due TOMORROW by MAIL. And as a kicker, they want three letters of recommendation, rather than the typical two. So basically, I can't apply.

I know, I know... I should be doing my own looking for jobs to apply to. But fuck me for relying on a listserv designed TYPICALLY FOR THIS PURPOSE and maintained by a full-time employee who's ONLY job is to get students clerkships.

Ugh.

Send an application with a note that letters of reference will be sent under separate cover, then get that 3rd reference lined up (a lot of judges I've seen want 3, actually) and send them as soon as you can.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:50 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Our school's CSO has a clerkship listserv that alerts students of all open clerkship positions that they hear about. Today, they alerted us of Supreme Court clerkships in a neighboring state. These applications are due TOMORROW by MAIL. And as a kicker, they want three letters of recommendation, rather than the typical two. So basically, I can't apply.

Ugh.

Send an application with a note that letters of reference will be sent under separate cover, then get that 3rd reference lined up (a lot of judges I've seen want 3, actually) and send them as soon as you can.

I'd have to write a cover letter and get it in the mail by noon (because I have stuff the rest of the day) plus pay overnight shipping for each judge because they all want separate applications.

I can probably get it done, but it won't be my best work :/

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:57 am

chrisbru wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Ugh.

I'd have to write a cover letter and get it in the mail by noon (because I have stuff the rest of the day) plus pay overnight shipping for each judge because they all want separate applications.

I can probably get it done, but it won't be my best work :/

Its the Vale though dude. It > 0% chance at jerb.

FWIW some of the SSCs have absolutely nuts requirements. I am talking top 10 in your class students from anything outside the t14. Certain Js also like to pick clerks from certain feeder schools. Its an arcane hiring method.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:2 weeks since No Offer Day and I am seriously just paralyzed. I know I have to get things done and applications out, but I just have no clue how to go about it. I am having a hard time caring about anything, including class or applying for jobs. This is the worst feeling ever.

Go work out. Get laid if possible.

Then pick a day this week, and start applying to jobs. If you put one foot in front of the other long enough, things will get better. You aren't alone.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:28 am

Gorki wrote:
Its the Vale though dude. It > 0% chance at jerb.

FWIW some of the SSCs have absolutely nuts requirements. I am talking top 10 in your class students from anything outside the t14. Certain Js also like to pick clerks from certain feeder schools. Its an arcane hiring method.

Yeah I'm totally not at all expecting even an interview, but like you said... It's > 0% chance at jerb, so off I go.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:31 am

Not to be cliche, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. I don't know what else you have on your plate today, but if you can afford to postpone it or slack on your other duties, I'd focus on getting those applications in. Might not be your best work, but it's work.

I've applied to tons of judges without LORs, telling them they're coming later. It should be fine for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not to be cliche, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

-Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not to be cliche, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. I don't know what else you have on your plate today, but if you can afford to postpone it or slack on your other duties, I'd focus on getting those applications in. Might not be your best work, but it's work.

I've applied to tons of judges without LORs, telling them they're coming later. It should be fine for you.

I agree. I have been applying to tons of jobs out of my range, because why not, you never know what is going to happen. In fact, SOMEONE told me not to bother to apply for a certain position because it was so out of reach, and it's my first interview for a post-grad job. So don't listen to naysayers.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not to be cliche, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

-Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott

pro use of the anonymous feature, probably GOAT

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:44 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not to be cliche, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. I don't know what else you have on your plate today, but if you can afford to postpone it or slack on your other duties, I'd focus on getting those applications in. Might not be your best work, but it's work.

I agree. I have been applying to tons of jobs out of my range, because why not, you never know what is going to happen. In fact, SOMEONE told me not to bother to apply for a certain position because it was so out of reach, and it's my first interview for a post-grad job. So don't listen to naysayers.

This.

I felt wholly unqualified for the job I got. I applied because there was no reason not to. I clicked with the employer during the interview and got the offer. I found out after the fact that I beat ouf former COA clerks, coif bros from T14s, etc. My employer was looking for things other than grades (mine were shit, to make the record clear).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2 weeks since No Offer Day and I am seriously just paralyzed. I know I have to get things done and applications out, but I just have no clue how to go about it. I am having a hard time caring about anything, including class or applying for jobs. This is the worst feeling ever.

Was also no-offered exactly 2 weeks ago. Is it the same v100 firm at a different office?

I've sent out apps and did some mass mailing but no bites...as expected. Symplicity is still dead as well...this sucks.

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Still got a year to find something. Think of the experience, resume fodder, money you got over the summer, and the fact that you at least had a shot compared to everyone else who did not have a firm SA position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:47 pm

a male human wrote:Still got a year to find something. Think of the experience, resume fodder, money you got over the summer, and the fact that you at least had a shot compared to everyone else who did not have a firm SA position.

That may be true but I feel I'm more bitter now than if I never summered in the first place. I just feel wronged.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:22 pm

Now that it hasn't worked out for me, I'd recommend Tensegrity Law Group to any of the bay area patent litigators in the Vale. It's a small patent lit boutique that seems like it's trying to expand quickly. They're quick to respond to applications and it seems like a great opportunity to get real experience early in your career. Unfortunately not in the cards for me, but such is the Vale.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:52 pm

Out of the Vale. Got the call today. Staff attorney for a large firm here, with the possibility of full associate in a year or so. Even if that doesn't work out, the experience (and money) will be great.

whatsyourdeal

Postby whatsyourdeal » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:54 pm

kalvano wrote:Out of the Vale. Got the call today. Staff attorney for a large firm here, with the possibility of full associate in a year or so. Even if that doesn't work out, the experience (and money) will be great.

congrats, man! seriously, really happy to see you out the Vale buddy. thanks for all the positive posts ITT.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:58 pm

whatsyourdeal wrote:
kalvano wrote:Out of the Vale. Got the call today. Staff attorney for a large firm here, with the possibility of full associate in a year or so. Even if that doesn't work out, the experience (and money) will be great.

congrats, man! seriously, really happy to see you out the Vale buddy. thanks for all the positive posts ITT.

tacocabana

Postby tacocabana » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:59 pm

spleenworship wrote:
whatsyourdeal wrote:

Congrats kalvano!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:02 pm

Leaving the Vale as well for a job I'm really excited to go to. Good luck to everyone.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Leaving the Vale as well for a job I'm really excited to go to. Good luck to everyone.

AWESOME!

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Awesome man. Is it in a market you can see yourself staying in long term? Either way, great work.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Leaving the Vale as well for a job I'm really excited to go to. Good luck to everyone.

Congrats Anonymous User! Today is awesome.

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:17 pm

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Gorki wrote:

Awesome man. Is it in a market you can see yourself staying in long term? Either way, great work.

It's Dallas, and I'd like to move at some point, but the work I'll be doing sounds really, really, really interesting to me. So we're settled here for a while. I have to think that if I ever do want to move, the kind of work I'll be doing and this firm's name will make that a much easier transition.

Either way, blown away. I thought the interview went terrible, since my son was born at 2-something that morning and I'd had 2 hours of sleep.
Last edited by kalvano on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”