The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AllTheLawz

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby AllTheLawz » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:46 am

Void wrote:
Lasers wrote:i'd sooner try to become a teacher than work as an attorney for under $50,000.

Sounds like you don't really want to be an attorney.

This is ridiculous.. it doesn't sound like he/she doesn't want to be an attorney. It sounds like he/she is logical and did some very basic cost benefit analysis that everyone should do and determined he/she didn't want to be an attorney for under $50,000.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:48 am

Question (regarding a pattern I think I have noticed): how many people here in the vale actually want to be lawyers?

ETA: I'll go first - I do.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:52 am

AllTheLawz wrote:
Void wrote:
Lasers wrote:i'd sooner try to become a teacher than work as an attorney for under $50,000.

Sounds like you don't really want to be an attorney.

This is ridiculous.. it doesn't sound like he/she doesn't want to be an attorney. It sounds like he/she is logical and did some very basic cost benefit analysis that everyone should do and determined he/she didn't want to be an attorney for under $50,000.

Agreed. Plus teachers get loan forgiveness after 10 years. If you are going to be making so little that you can't pay off your loans and have no hope of doing so for 25 years, it makes sense to give up on being an attorney for something with PSLF. Wanting to be an attorney shouldn't override all logic.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:58 am

I used to be in the Vale; now that I'm not I couldn't care less about getting licensed by the bar even though doing so would be beneficial to my career (I passed the bar but missed my MPRE test date, oh well). Now, I work less hours than I would as a lawyer, do similar work (to an extent) and get comparable compensation--so fuck it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:36 pm

Just got rejected from prolly my last shot at success b/c I fucked up the interviews. Had everything to lose, and I managed to scuttle it. I don't know how much longer i can keep this up. My parents think I'm not applying to enough places (I'm applying to everything under the sun as well as mass mailing by industry) or that moving back home to CA would be the solution. I can't handle all this. I'm lucky that I am on a school fellowship, but it's difficult for me to keep going at it when I'm treated so poorly and have lost everything I worked for in law school. I started therapy and meds about two years ago when started become suicidal, and honestly I'm having trouble justifying why I stay alive when things have not improved.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:47 pm

So, I'm gonna take a break from the vale for a bit. I am still working a shit job that has nothing to do with my JD, but I have fallen too far into self pity and it's time I get a handle on shit. Good luck to you all, fuckers. I am pulling for you.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got rejected from prolly my last shot at success b/c I fucked up the interviews. Had everything to lose, and I managed to scuttle it. I don't know how much longer i can keep this up. My parents think I'm not applying to enough places (I'm applying to everything under the sun as well as mass mailing by industry) or that moving back home to CA would be the solution. I can't handle all this. I'm lucky that I am on a school fellowship, but it's difficult for me to keep going at it when I'm treated so poorly and have lost everything I worked for in law school. I started therapy and meds about two years ago when started become suicidal, and honestly I'm having trouble justifying why I stay alive when things have not improved.

With that attitude, you won't get a job. Employers can sense desperation. It's September. Recruiting started a month ago and you are already throwing in the towel. Get some confidence and don't stop applying. Brush up on your interview skills. It is 20 minute interviews. Sell your qualifications and interest in your firm.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:27 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got rejected from prolly my last shot at success b/c I fucked up the interviews. Had everything to lose, and I managed to scuttle it. I don't know how much longer i can keep this up. My parents think I'm not applying to enough places (I'm applying to everything under the sun as well as mass mailing by industry) or that moving back home to CA would be the solution. I can't handle all this. I'm lucky that I am on a school fellowship, but it's difficult for me to keep going at it when I'm treated so poorly and have lost everything I worked for in law school. I started therapy and meds about two years ago when started become suicidal, and honestly I'm having trouble justifying why I stay alive when things have not improved.

With that attitude, you won't get a job. Employers can sense desperation. It's September. Recruiting started a month ago and you are already throwing in the towel. Get some confidence and don't stop applying. Brush up on your interview skills. It is 20 minute interviews. Sell your qualifications and interest in your firm.

Could be a grad dood

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:28 pm

sparty99 wrote:

Recruiting season started a month ago? 20 minute interviews? I think you are talking about OCI and this poster sounds like they are a graduate on a school funded fellowship. The two are not even close to the same and there is no post-graduate 'recruiting season.'

Also you just told a suicidal person to suck it up which seems like it's in poor taste.

whatsyourdeal

Postby whatsyourdeal » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:02 pm

^ this. It was most likely a grad, due to his stating it was a school funded fellowship. You're a dick for telling a person with suicidal thoughts to suck it up. You might as well have berated a crippled, genuine down-on-his luck homeless guy for being lazy. :roll:

to the anon, where are you currently? are you willing to relocate to california? pm me.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:12 pm

whatsyourdeal wrote:^ this. It was most likely a grad, due to his stating it was a school funded fellowship. You're a dick for telling a person with suicidal thoughts to suck it up. You might as well have berated a crippled, genuine down-on-his luck homeless guy for being lazy. :roll:

to the anon, where are you currently? are you willing to relocate to california? pm me.

Actually, there is nothing in my message that tells the poster to "suck it up."

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:20 pm

sparty99 wrote:
whatsyourdeal wrote:^ this. It was most likely a grad, due to his stating it was a school funded fellowship. You're a dick for telling a person with suicidal thoughts to suck it up. You might as well have berated a crippled, genuine down-on-his luck homeless guy for being lazy. :roll:

Re-read your message. If you looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:47 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Re-read your message. If you looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck...

I've been sucking it up for now three years since I first struck out and nothing is working. This was probably the only immediate entry level position that was hiring that I have seen in a long time, esp as it seems firms are moving back their start dates again. I don't even feel hopeful that things will turn around by the end of my fellowship, where I feel miserable a lot of the time, if I can make it that far.

iceman219

Postby iceman219 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:05 pm

a male human wrote:Anyone else have a hard time considering positions that pay less than the job before law school?

TBH, I had a bit of an issue with this. I had to think about it for awhile, and really dig back into my past... while the salary offer was not commensurate with the experience + loans I had under my belt, I remember how absolutely miserable I was in my old job. And the salary offer then became a little more palatable to swallow.

I know all of us didn't go to law school to become entrepreneurs/solo practitioners; however, there is a lot of upside in the legal arena from all of the base salary offers we are all seeing. The firms/corporations all know this, and they are all relatively low-balling us. But they have the negotiation leverage at the moment. 2-3 years experience will change this equation, and you will start seeing a better salary situation at that point. Whenever you decide to look after getting some experience under your belt, find a headhunter; I had some experience with these in my pre-law school days, and they are absolutely worth their weight in gold

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:10 pm

bjsesq wrote:So, I'm gonna take a break from the vale for a bit. I am still working a shit job that has nothing to do with my JD, but I have fallen too far into self pity and it's time I get a handle on shit. Good luck to you all, fuckers. I am pulling for you.

Good luck to you. Everyone in this thread is pulling for you as well.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:18 pm

NYstate wrote:
bjsesq wrote:So, I'm gonna take a break from the vale for a bit. I am still working a shit job that has nothing to do with my JD, but I have fallen too far into self pity and it's time I get a handle on shit. Good luck to you all, fuckers. I am pulling for you.

Good luck to you. Everyone in this thread is pulling for you as well.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:49 pm

sparty99 wrote:

You know what, either way, you have been a complete tool and awful addition to this thread. Jesus man, for a dude that went to Michigan State, you are quite the snob. Have a little empathy. What the fuck is wrong with you? Do you not interact with many people in real life?

With that being said, very happy for TTH & all leaving the Vale.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:42 pm

deadpanic wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

You know what, either way, you have been a complete tool and awful addition to this thread. Jesus man, for a dude that went to Michigan State, you are quite the snob. Have a little empathy. What the fuck is wrong with you? Do you not interact with many people in real life?

With that being said, very happy for TTH & all leaving the Vale.

Whatever. This thread is filled with people who love misery and make it depressing to read. My comment was truthful. No employer is going to hire someone with a bad attitude. If you keep doing what you are doing, you will keep getting what you are getting. There is a book called, "Knock Em' Dead," by Martin Yate. If you have interviews, read it. Think how you can diferentiate yourself in an interview. The legal industry is one of many industries. You can't get a job in it? Apply elsewhere. Still want a legal job? Apply once you get any job that pays you for your skills and experience. Self-loathing is not going to get you a job. Why were you rejected? If you continue to get interviews, evaluate what you might be doing wrong. Seek feedback. How are you applying? Is it just email or through a firm's website? Find another way to make your initial introduction. Read, "Never Send a Resume." Go to Six Flags. Go see a movie. It is just a job. A legal job doesn't define you. A school fellowship is better than being unemployed. Follow-up tomorrow with ten employers you applied to. Then apply to 10 non legal employers and 10 legal employers. Apply to five non legal positions a day, Monday through Friday.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:47 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:53 pm

sparty99 wrote:Whatever. This thread is filled with people who love misery and make it depressing to read. My comment was truthful. No employer is going to hire someone with a bad attitude. If you keep doing what you are doing, you will keep getting what you are getting. There is a book called, "Knock Em' Dead," by Martin Yate. If you have interviews, read it. Think how you can diferentiate yourself in an interview. The legal industry is one of many industries. You can't get a job in it? Apply elsewhere. Still want a legal job? Apply once you get any job that pays you for your skills and experience. Self-loathing is not going to get you a job. Why were you rejected? If you continue to get interviews, evaluate what you might be doing wrong. Seek feedback. How are you applying? Is it just email or through a firm's website? Find another way to make your initial introduction. Read, "Never Send a Resume." Go to Six Flags. Go see a movie. It is just a job. A legal job doesn't define you. A school fellowship is better than being unemployed. Follow-up tomorrow with ten employers you applied to. Then apply to 10 non legal employers and 10 legal employers. Apply to five non legal positions a day, Monday through Friday.

You can be right and still be an asshole, knowhatimsayin?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:56 pm

rad lulz wrote:
sparty99 wrote:Whatever. This thread is filled with people who love misery and make it depressing to read. My comment was truthful. No employer is going to hire someone with a bad attitude. If you keep doing what you are doing, you will keep getting what you are getting. There is a book called, "Knock Em' Dead," by Martin Yate. If you have interviews, read it. Think how you can diferentiate yourself in an interview. The legal industry is one of many industries. You can't get a job in it? Apply elsewhere. Still want a legal job? Apply once you get any job that pays you for your skills and experience. Self-loathing is not going to get you a job. Why were you rejected? If you continue to get interviews, evaluate what you might be doing wrong. Seek feedback. How are you applying? Is it just email or through a firm's website? Find another way to make your initial introduction. Read, "Never Send a Resume." Go to Six Flags. Go see a movie. It is just a job. A legal job doesn't define you. A school fellowship is better than being unemployed. Follow-up tomorrow with ten employers you applied to. Then apply to 10 non legal employers and 10 legal employers. Apply to five non legal positions a day, Monday through Friday.

This isn't exactly bad advice, but you deliver in such a dickish manner

Was trying to figure out how to say exactly this.

(The thing that sucks is that it's true that desperation/bitterness often come across in an interview and make it even harder to get a job, when getting a job would erase the desperation/bitterness. It's just that if that's how you're feeling, it's hard to just turn that off for an interview, though it's certainly worth trying really hard to do so.)

Broseidon

Postby Broseidon » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:12 pm

Absolutely agree on not letting your bitterness/depression through in an interview. Obviously that will get you nowhere.

But if you're complaining about people venting in this thread, then get the fuck out.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:17 pm

Broseidon wrote:Absolutely agree on not letting your bitterness/depression through in an interview. Obviously that will get you nowhere.

But if you're complaining about people venting in this thread, then get the fuck out.

Please stick to your posts about "crapping at work."

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:20 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Broseidon wrote:Absolutely agree on not letting your bitterness/depression through in an interview. Obviously that will get you nowhere.

Dude. Stop. You made some sound points, and we agreed with you on them. There was just no tact in them. You are in a part of the forum where emotional vulnerable people are. Let it go.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:30 pm

Completely agree with boo here. Also, this is an on-topic post and personal comments aren't helpful.

bjsesq wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Dude. Stop. You made some sound points, and we agreed with you on them. There was just no tact in them. You are in a part of the forum where emotional vulnerable people are. Let it go.

Return to “Legal Employment”